AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-05-29, 02:42   Link #221
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Can RV10 be used outside of the RMVB container?
Old 2007-05-29, 03:41   Link #222
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonW View Post
Actually i can't see much difference,,,,

i want to know the size comparison between the 2,it would be great if the H264 can give a fille as small as the RV does,
There is a reasonably obvious difference in the first two screenshots, you can see the RMVB one is far blurrier. The rest of the screenshots were also chosen to show this. I've edited the original post to link to the full size copies of the files, they're just under 60mb each.
The two files were the same size.

EDIT:
Quote:
Yes, it works fine in MKV.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 04:16   Link #223
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
This was also pointed out earlier, but just to make it totally clear: RV10 is the very first RealVideo codec from 1997. The current RealVideo version 10 is called RV40. Yes, it's confusing. (Think of RV10 as RV 1.0.) But then, RV 10 (notice the space) would be RealVideo version 10. Gah.
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 06:32   Link #224
LS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Not quite true. I remember Froth-Bite releasing Ray in mp4 under 100MB, though I don't know what file type they used for that. Decent-enough quality though.
Well sure, Froth-Bite did release Ray at around 100MB. gg did release Night Head Genesis at around 85MB. Ayu did release Shinigami no Ballad at around 110MB. There are probably a few other examples I don't know of. But these releases are clearly exceptions, so I wouldn't say 'practically no groups' is wrong.
LS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 11:11   Link #225
ender
*yawn*

Quote:
I have a MKV file with RV40 somewhere.
Old 2007-05-29, 11:31   Link #226
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender View Post
I have a MKV file with RV40 somewhere.
French subbers use it.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 15:03   Link #227
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
French subbers use it.
*insert witty French stereotype*

What groups? I'm interested in examining the files.
Old 2007-05-29, 16:34   Link #228
Crystal Requiem

Send a message via MSN to Crystal Requiem
Can I ask how you're suppose to even play .rvmb?
Crystal Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 16:45   Link #229
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
1. Install Real Player
2. Open the rmvb file using Real Player.

If you're actually asking for rvmb, I doubt there's such multimedia file type.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 16:47   Link #230
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Requiem View Post
Can I ask how you're suppose to even play .rvmb?
CCCP and install Real Alternative (read here), just don't use the pack's MPC, use CCCP's one.

EDIT: Got beaten by Sylf... Both methods work, though my one saves you from having to use Real Player.
Old 2007-05-29, 17:07   Link #231
Crystal Requiem

Send a message via MSN to Crystal Requiem
I see, I didn't realize that uninstalling my Real Player would cause any harm. I use a media converting site for all RP type files and convert into .AVI or something, but apparently it doesn't understand .rmvb, thank you both very much.
Crystal Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 04:40   Link #232
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf View Post
1. Install Real Player
2. Open the rmvb file using Real Player.
See, there's the problem with your method right there

Honestly though, the quality and filesize improvements in H264 over Xvid are such that I would think using RMVB/RV40 would be moot. While H264 isn't open-source either, it is the industry standard. And I would take that over a proprietary format from Real any day. And I still can't forgive them for their pos media player back in the day wanting to take over your entire computer after installing it...

Originally DivX3.11 was used, which was a hack on the old Microsoft Mpeg4v3 codec I believe. (Does that count as semi-open-source? hehe) Then the next shift was to Xvid. (With a few groups using Divx4, but that never caught on and was abandoned quickly)

I think it has more to do with certain groups feel a need to be "cutting edge" to the point of making their files unplayable by the general public

Personally I'm waiting for Xvid to be phased out. See a lot of dual-releases nowadays, but how many people don't have faster than like a 1.2ghz CPU nowadays? And if you have issues, either download the lower resolution version, or use CoreAVC as it's like 40% faster at decoding than CCCP/FFdshow.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 04:49   Link #233
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:

I believe there is 1 french group in particular (not related to fansubbing) which has a massive amount of releases with RV40 inside MKV. Quite maddening when you hear the matroska devs chatter about it endlessly as the #1 usage of MKV :P. I think we finally made them realize there are alot of hosers interested in anime that use it too .

Lemme think....the name of the group was XCT. Not trying to break rules at all here but you could find said files for experimentation using the donkey which is electronic. Got it n_n? I'm pretty sure they have switched over to H.264 though now.

Also testing with the Helix Producer (Real Media's free command-line encoder) would be easy to make samples too. And mkvmerge should have no issues muxing them.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 06:45   Link #234
Milvus

Quote:

Try MangaPartout, for example the late Spiral's releases. Having said that, RealVideo was used some time ago, as an experimental alternative to XviD.

RealVideo does not seem to be used today in french fansub and never was mainstream. (Look here, it's mainly avi/xvid/mp3, some mkv ou mp4 with H.264 and too much monsters (avi/H.264, ogm/H.264...).
Milvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 10:14   Link #235
ender
*yawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
While H264 isn't open-source either, it is the industry standard.
h264 is a standard, and as such it can't be open- or closed-source. Currently the most popular h264 encoder implementation, x264 is open-source, as is ffmpeg, which contains a h264 decoder.
Old 2007-05-31, 14:16   Link #236
Aniki Meiski

KonW says
Quote:
also, there are 2 mistakes i found in subbing during watching .
First is the place as the first picture shows(about 08:30 ),the girl said "his clavicle(鎖骨) is beautiful",which the English subber translated into "his skin"(May the word clavicle is too "not often used"(i don't know how to say this in English)...but in Chinese and Japanese the bone clavicle has the same word :鎖骨,so comparatively easy for chinese subbers maybe)
鎖骨のあたりがおいしそうっす!ssssss
His neck around the collar bone looks so delectable!

I wonder whether this sounds natural in chinese "锁骨那里真是不能错过"?
"Collar bone" is less formal, whereas "clavicle" sounds more medical.
I think in English it would be more natural just to say "His neck looks so delectable."

I think Chinese subbers are quicker because they just concentrate on dialogue translation, without having to translate all the onscreen written word. English groups are more picky about special effects, typesetting and karaoke.

Last edited by Aniki Meiski; 2007-05-31 at 14:55.
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 06:57   Link #237
Zarifar
*Fansubber

I don't think anyone really minds the video format when it's watchable except a few hardcore supporters of a specific format.

Correction though, Chinese subbers also take pride in comparing their special effects, typesets and karaoke. Most major groups are also massive forum communities whose numbers are impressive, and they actually openly critisize one another groups' releases with detailed comparisons. When I'm free, I might post a few links to point that out.
Zarifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 18:11   Link #238
Nicholi
King of Hosers

I think checkers pics showing the smoothed difference are more then enough for most people.

Real Blur is blur.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 12:33   Link #239
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

You know what amazes me? Back when Real Producer was just a simple basic program is used to be great in the right hands (or at least the kind of methods I utilized), but the recent RealProducer programs were so different, you'd wonder if Real's development team got booted or something

Now, perhaps if Real does remember their old programs I'd think about RMVB. But then again, I've just flat out forgotten about Real in a whole.

(I wonder if I still have those old Real programs)
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote