AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Kanon ending would you have preferred?
Ayu 63 53.39%
Nayuki 55 46.61%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-01-23, 03:03   Link #1
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
I've been taking a walk on the net recently (for lack of a better analogy), and it seems like there is a little bit of an underground community among us who have watched this series. People have blogged it, people have expressed it on multiple forums - this one included. But there has not yet been a congregation for how big this movement really is. And I'm surprised that we didn't start a thread like this during the show's original run to see just how many there were in this community.

The question I'm throwing at you is: Whose Kanon ending would you have preferred? Ayu's? Or Nayuki's?

Now, at some point, you may have looked at the final few episodes and thought, "Aha! Well if it was left to me, I would've done this differently!" As a scriptwriter, I strive to make stories with impact, to tell stories as dramatic and entertaining as possible, even if it deviates from the general order of things. To be honest, I could have scripted a Nayuki ending without having to modify three-quarters of the content. And I'm sure KyoAni, the producers, could have done so too. They had the manpower, the resources, the liberty to do something unconventional and still walk away as a success. And yet, for some reason, they held back.

It is not to say that I disliked the final episode. Albeit a bit cheezy and a little difficult to follow, the ending fits. I like it. But I would have preferred Nayuki's.

And that is the essence of this thread: preference. My reasons is that a Nayuki ending would have provided more emotional impact and therefore made more sense. You may simply just like her more. Regardless, this is an opportunity to collect and see just how many viewers - casual and fans alike - were either pleased or content with Ayu's ending or left desiring an ever-after story with Nayuki. You may be satisfied with KyoAni's ending for its integrity, but would you have liked/wanted a different outcome?

For all intents and purposes, I do not wish to include Shiori, Makoto, Mai, or Sayuri in this poll.
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 03:44   Link #2
Akka

Are you aware that you're asking which ending would have been prefered to people without giving any hint at WHAT the other ending is ?

I mean, if you've played the game, you may have an idea. But many people haven't - you're asking about the anime after all.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 05:14   Link #3
Solafighter
Hige

Uguu~
Tsukimiya Ayu.
Old 2009-01-23, 15:05   Link #4
Mephiles
~ The Dark ~

I love Nayuki, but i love MUCH more Ayu.
Mephiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 20:46   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
As a scriptwriter, I strive to make stories with impact, to tell stories as dramatic and entertaining as possible, even if it deviates from the general order of things. To be honest, I could have scripted a Nayuki ending without having to modify three-quarters of the content. And I'm sure KyoAni, the producers, could have done so too. They had the manpower, the resources, the liberty to do something unconventional and still walk away as a success. And yet, for some reason, they held back.
I'm a bit surprised by this statement, to be honest. What is the central theme of Kanon? What is the primary conflict that needs to be resolved? Which of the heroines is most central to that primary conflict? And then, as a second issue, what was the apparent primary objective of the scriptwriters in producing this adaptation of the game?

Would it have been possible to re-script the adaptation to deliver a Nayuki ending? Of course. The original game clearly can be played from that angle, so the material is already there. But, given the central theme and primary conflict, would taking things from that angle have been as effective at delivering a resolution to that conflict and an answer to the presented theme? In order to deliver a convincing Nayuki ending, one of the most important things you would have to do is change the development of the central theme/conflict so that it hinges more on Nayuki than on Ayu, or that resolution of Ayu's story arc could somehow flow naturally into Nayuki's, and, in the end, that wouldn't simply be "deviating from the general order of things", it might be re-imagining the way Key wrote the work, and to what end?

So, I don't think it's a matter of them having "held back" anything. Going for the "canon" ending is the cleanest way to resolve the central conflict of the story, and to deliver their promise to the audience: to provide a more faithful adaptation of the game's storyline. Their primary objective was not really to "tell stories as dramatic and entertaining as possible", it was to "to tell the dramatic and entertaining story that Key wrote". I think it's basically for that reason that we got the ending we did. If you rewind the clock even further, and postulate whether Key could have written things differently, it may be a more likely question.

Given the way the anime was presented and positioned, I don't think there was any possibility for another ending, and I guess I prefer a story ending that nicely ties everything back to the central theme. If they had started the story differently, and developed it differently along the way, then maybe I could have accepted a Nayuki ending. Certainly, Nayuki was my favourite character between the two. But I suspect that many of the people calling for a Nayuki ending haven't really carefully thought through what impact that would have on the rest of the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
My reasons is that a Nayuki ending would have provided more emotional impact and therefore made more sense.
This logic seems to be me to be a bit lacking in cohesiveness. Having more impact doesn't cause something to make sense. The purpose of the ending is provide resolution to the central conflict. So you'd have to propose a scenario where Yuuichi could end up with Nayuki and still satisfactorily resolve all issues presented in the story regarding Ayu and the past. I can really only think of one way to do this that might work, but again, I think you'd be rewriting the way Key envisioned the story, and that was never really in the cards. As you know, there already was an existing adaptation that did a bit more of this (and, in fact, tried to make a Nayuki ending more palatable), but it is largely discarded by game fans.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-01-24 at 20:58.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 12:43   Link #6
hero147

As much as I like Nayuki, I would have to go with Ayu. I feel that as "miracles" as its central theme, it kind of just fit.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 13:09   Link #7
Solafighter
Hige

Mh, btw. Why isnt Shiori votable?
Old 2009-01-25, 23:22   Link #8
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Haven't finished Nayuki's path in game, so can't give you answer yet.

But I rather have Mai's ending. (she seems to be connected even if barely to Makoto's, a little of Ayu)

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 16:38   Link #9
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Strange, no other endings. You know, I prefer Nayuki ending (from the original VN). Last scenes were really good.
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 03:02   Link #10
shinryou
--- semi-hikikomori ---

I'm happy with the current ending... but i still feel bad for nayuki cause I liked her as a character

"can't get away... from the sound of life..." - shinryou
shinryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 00:13   Link #11
Nosauz

I really wanted a makoto endings, especially after 06 anime version, she was even more cute than before plus auu~~ and this would also fit into the miracle theme that the main story took. Though if only given a choice i would go uguu.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 10:40   Link #12
Celebrianna

I'm not familiar with the game, but I think that Ayu ending works best. In fact, I think that Ayu's story was equally Yuichi's story because their past and path was so intertwined.
Celebrianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 10:45   Link #13
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
in truth i would (and do) prefer the ayu ending
as much as i love nayuki (yuki no shojo is my ringtone) ayu is the one girl that embodies elements from all four of the other characters

Spoiler for aspects:

ayu's character contains aspects of all 4 girls
and in my mind this makes her ending the best one
Old 2009-08-18, 11:35   Link #14
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Of all the characters, I really do feel that Nayuki just got completely shafted. I like Ayu and all but their relationship had no real build up in my opinion, it felt like it came out of no where. Nayuki was a real nice character and I really sympathized with her considering her feelings for Yuiichi.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 12:35   Link #15
Spirit Icana

I would've prefered Nayuki.

As it is, I thought the ending was a bit too cheesy. If the story ended at episode 23 I would've felt a bit better.

I also feel like the above poster. It felt to me like Nayuki got the shaft. She ended up solving her own problems for the most part. She's a strong girl.
Spirit Icana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 03:42   Link #16
R15

I voted for Nayuki.

I would love to see them animate the promise Yuuichi makes to Nayuki at the end of her route.
Too bad there isn't a Another World Nayuki Arc.
R15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 19:13   Link #17
stormchasar

Ayu is annoying. Nayuki is my favourite in the visual novel.
stormchasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 19:30   Link #18
hero147

Honestly, now that I think about it, I wanted a Nayuki ending. But Ayu is the main girl. It was her who caused all the ruckus of Yuuichi not going back for 7 years and forgetting all his memories.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 10:11   Link #19
`s m i l e -
`s m i l e -

I like Ayu best!
`s m i l e - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 17:55   Link #20
calorie

Ayu would be my choice if I had a gun pointed at me.

It is true that Nayuki may have been a reasonable choice as well - she is his childhood friend, a great person, was there for him in the end when he needed her - but even if the anime had been slightly tilted in Nayuki's favor I still would have chosen Ayu.

She brought me joy in every single scene, I was broken when she left Yuuichi (both times) and I truly, truly love her character too much to give a damn about the fact that the way everything worked out in the end is a bit of a stretch or perhaps even cheesy. That was the end I was hoping for and it made me very happy.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote