AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-13, 15:53   Link #1221
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Or that those weren't the actual people, but representations of them. Do you really believe the pieces on the board are aware of what's happening off of it, when most of the time even piece-Battler doesn't know?
Well then we are back to square one. If you claim those weren't "meta-world presence" but "representation" then I could say the same about everyone except Battler, and therefore everyone could still be the culprit.

Old 2009-10-13, 17:42   Link #1222
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I was wondering... couldn't the 19th caller be Erika? Or was that denied already?

I mean, it makes sense. New human on the island! Suddenly some guy no one's ever heard of before calls.

What?
Old 2009-10-13, 17:44   Link #1223
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I was wondering... couldn't the 19th caller be Erika? Or was that denied already?

I mean, it makes sense. New human on the island! Suddenly some guy no one's ever heard of before calls.

What?
How would Natsuhi mistake some loli's voice for a young man's voice?
Old 2009-10-13, 17:45   Link #1224
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is that, but we can't be sure that the caller has never called in any of the games before. Though it is sort of telling when Bern has to ask Lambda if this is real.
Old 2009-10-13, 17:52   Link #1225
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:

What?
But when Natsuhi gets calls from the 19th person isn't Erika at one point accounted to be with everyone else. Although I do remember the 19th person claiming that Erika was working with them though (I think it was the 'autumn card' call, but I can't remember for sure)
Old 2009-10-13, 18:02   Link #1226
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Isn't Erika the detective? So ruled out for that?
Old 2009-10-13, 18:06   Link #1227
Volcanic
fire of fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
But when Natsuhi gets calls from the 19th person isn't Erika at one point accounted to be with everyone else. Although I do remember the 19th person claiming that Erika was working with them though (I think it was the 'autumn card' call, but I can't remember for sure)
I just thought he said he came to the island with her, not that he was working with her...?
Old 2009-10-13, 18:10   Link #1228
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
How would Natsuhi mistake some loli's voice for a young man's voice?
Erika stayed up all night listening to a wall after swimming through a hurricane. How hard is it to believe that's she's talented enough with her voice to sound like a young man? Voice actresses do it all the time.

Quote:
Don't ask me, I still haven't played the game yet.

Which brings me to this question: Could that call have been a recording? It's a plot device used fairly often in stories like this...

...Of course, did they have the ability to record stuff like that easily in 1986?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
Isn't Erika the detective? So ruled out for that?
Who says the "man from 19 years ago" is actually the culprit? Erika was never ruled out as an accomplice, right?
Old 2009-10-13, 18:15   Link #1229
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
Who says the "man from 19 years ago" is actually the culprit? Erika was never ruled out as an accomplice, right?
WOuld be lame for her, the one that doesn't exist on any other gameboard who is the detective to be the an accomplice. Also were could that stranded girl gotten herself a recorder?

Quote:
Could that call have been a recording?
I don't think so. I think the man mentions something that only someone who was on the island due that time could have known (wasn't it even erika..I'm completely unsure...only played it one time shortly after the realease)
Another..question...does that men even exist?
Old 2009-10-13, 18:18   Link #1230
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Just because Erika wasn't on the island in previous games, it doesn't mean that she wasn't involved in the events in some way.
Old 2009-10-13, 18:19   Link #1231
Volcanic
fire of fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
Another..question...does that men even exist?
Genji brought Natsuhi the phone in one scene, so it's pretty much agreed he does.

Unless she hallucinated THAT, too..."o_o
Old 2009-10-13, 18:20   Link #1232
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Just because Erika wasn't on the island in previous games, it doesn't mean that she wasn't involved in the events in some way.
Actually when Erika is introduced it's stated in red by Lambda that she had nothing to do with anything before this game. She even stated it twice in a way that Battler wouldn't misinterpret the red.
Old 2009-10-13, 18:27   Link #1233
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Actually when Erika is introduced it's stated in red by Lambda that she had nothing to do with anything before this game. She even stated it twice in a way that Battler wouldn't misinterpret the red.
Then why does she obviously want to frame Natsuhi?

There has to be a real-world explanation (that's reasonable) as to why she's on the island.

Since The Man From 19 Years Ago also has it out for Natsuhi... I think it's safe to say that's she's definitely involved somehow?
Old 2009-10-13, 18:30   Link #1234
Kaiba

Quote:
From what I've read of Episode 5, Erika doesn't have any real reason to go after Natushi in particular, but she targets her because it's a lot easier to accuse Natsuhi compared to everyone else for various reasons, such as the lack of an alibi during the night and so forth.
Old 2009-10-13, 18:30   Link #1235
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:

There has to be a real-world explanation (that's reasonable) as to why she's on the island.

Since The Man From 19 Years Ago also has it out for Natsuhi... I think it's safe to say that's she's definitely involved somehow?
Maybe this time, yes. We have no proof that the 19th man was ever involved in previous games. At this point you can't even say he's the culprit/killer because of the Knox Rules preventing it. But Erika was never on the island before this point and the red makes it clear.

And as Kaiba says, Natsuhi gets herself into bad situations (no one can account for her being in Kinzo's study during the 1st twilight, she was in the closet in the room Hideyoshi was killed in while he was being killed)
Old 2009-10-13, 18:32   Link #1236
luckyssol

Quote:

There is no reasonable explanation for Erika that I've head of. Her behavior is completely abnormal.

Episode 5 is screwed up because the players at the beginning were Bern and Lambda.

Lambda's plan: Imitate Beatrice
Bern's plan: Throw Erika on the board, frame Natsuhi, drink tea.
Old 2009-10-13, 18:45   Link #1237
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As for recording...tape players have been around since before 1986, so it is quite possible. Also considering they would have such plots in "Mission Impossible" back in the late 1960s, having a taped raecord of a voice or taping an incident is not out of the question in 1986 (even the Sony Walkman had a record feature and microphone as early as 1979 with the better ones (journalist quality) coming out in 1984)
Old 2009-10-13, 18:45   Link #1238
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
There is no reasonable explanation for Erika that I've head of. Her behavior is completely abnormal.

Episode 5 is screwed up because the players at the beginning were Bern and Lambda.

Lambda's plan: Imitate Beatrice
Bern's plan: Throw Erika on the board, frame Natsuhi, drink tea, troll everyone
Fixed for Bern's plan

But yeah Erika's behavior is literally meta - she rambles at one point about how Battler jumped out of the study and demands a rematch (even though the only reason she lost WAS because of Bern and Lambda not letting Cornelia use the red text for the window) and flails around begging Bern to give her a second chance. Not to mention parading around and calling herself the detective. Hell even the parents behavior towards her is meta - half the time it sounds like they're being controlled into talking with her like they do.
Old 2009-10-13, 18:49   Link #1239
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
As for recording...tape players have been around since before 1986, so it is quite possible. Also considering they would have such plots in "Mission Impossible" back in the late 1960s, having a taped raecord of a voice or taping an incident is not out of the question in 1986 (even the Sony Walkman had a record feature and microphone as early as 1979 with the better ones (journalist quality) coming out in 1984)
Don't forget, they have a tape recorder and player in the dining hall, presumably in every game. It's not only possible, it's been mentioned in the story.

We only see it in EP5 though.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
Old 2009-10-13, 18:49   Link #1240
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well that's Lambda for you. She's running a parody of Beatrice's game.