AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-20, 15:01   Link #81
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
It IS a show aimed at children, but it's something more than that. If it was aimed at children, then why the amazing budget and good characters?
Unless Japanese youth are more sophisticated than I thought :P

There are some things that are aimed at children, but contain adult themes, which will entertain any adults present. Like Shrek. On the surface it's a nice kiddy film, but there's lots of adult related humour in it.
UPS doesn't really have these adult themes, but its still something more than a kids show.
I'm really looking forward to seeing where this show is going.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 15:04   Link #82
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Yah for sure man! I think that UPS is more than a kid's show... I feel though... that it's sorta like Prince of Tennis in respect to the sohpistication and intelligence of these "children".... I don't know any kids or met any kids that are as mature as the violin girl and Tezuka..... but afterall.... it's just a cartoon....
Old 2004-01-20, 15:31   Link #83
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I really liek this anime it reminds me of digimon (the whole kids and lost bit) but not exactly but it is great so far. I hate Howard he is an ass.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 15:54   Link #84
saku~ya
la~li~lo

Lets all agree that Howard needs to die XD He's just one of those characters that you love to hate. At least thats what its doing for me anyway.

Was I the only one who thought the mammoth looking thing was adorable ^^;; I think those eyes did it in for me. We should be catching up to the japanese releases soon. I think so anyways, its been awhile since I remember when it first came out.
saku~ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 15:56   Link #85
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

I haven't got up to the mammoth episode yet. Yeah Howard does need to die him and Merodi are both snobs LOL. Lets make an anti Howard club.
Old 2004-01-20, 16:09   Link #86
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Howard OWNS YOU ALL FOR FREE!!!
Its like:
"Howard, you've caused the world to end and millions of deaths"
Howard: "Wtf? Don't pin that shit on me, Shingo did that shit".
And Menori owns too, but not as much.
Old 2004-01-20, 16:12   Link #87
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Indeed, Howard would pin it all on poor Shingo. Poor little genius bastard.
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 16:18   Link #88
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

LMAO so true he blames it all on him
Old 2004-01-20, 16:27   Link #89
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Howard is still a jackass... but for some reason... I now find him entertaining as well.... I think someone earlier said that the voice actor was effective... I now agree with that.... that voice actor is doin a great job at playing an annoying prick!
Old 2004-01-20, 16:37   Link #90
saku~ya
la~li~lo

I thought about making an avatar with Howard getting slapped by the kangaroo with it's tail. I found that slightly amusing.

I like Menori >_> She has the teacher-esqe thing going on for her. I just like her over all character design and her seiyuu is doing a good job at that.
saku~ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 17:34   Link #91
davFunereal
Village watchman.

Quote:
I feel though... that it's sorta like Prince of Tennis in respect to the sohpistication and intelligence of these "children"
I'd like to throw something in on that. This series respects its characters, and, realistic or not, has no reservations on their behaviors because of their ages. Remember how Kaoru went for the eyes on that Sea Snake? Remember Bell's grim attention to that fire?

And, from an entertainment standpoint, too many american designers commit suicide by making the youngsters so one-note. The characters must have measures of reasoning, principles, and maturity. These characters may be overly-distinguished in their differences, for effect, but they all have something going for them, even Howard if that isn't clear . You can't overlook that when designing children.

Also, someone referred to Shingo as a genius. We only know so far that he is a prodigy--very different, and I don't consider him a genius. I'd say he's the most stupidly irreverent character because of his thoughts on fossil fuel and pollution. He hasn't grown up at all; he's no sage for them.
davFunereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 18:01   Link #92
Diedrupo

I have to say, this is by far the most entertaining children's anime i've seen, but it could be because i'm a sucker for:
1) desert island survival stories (Robison Crusoe, Castaway, etc.)
2) stories that are focused on a fixed group of characters
3) girls in short skirts

Quote:
There are some things that are aimed at children, but contain adult themes, which will entertain any adults present. Like Shrek. On the surface it's a nice kiddy film, but there's lots of adult related humour in it.
I disagree that Shrek is aimed at kids. Shrek was PG rated if I recall (if i'm wrong shoot me), and I think that indicates more of an all audiences thing. as well, both Toy Story movies were also aimed at "all audiences" rather than just children and I think Shrek falls into that category. It's silly to believe that G or PG ratings indicate something that was designed with children in mind.

It's hard to distinguish when something is meant for kids and when something isn't, but in the case of Mujin Wakusei Survive, it's clearly a kid's cartoon, but so what? It's awesome. Some kid cartoons are awesome. Like Arthur on PBS.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 18:33   Link #93
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

I called Shingo the poor little genius bastard...sarcastic comment on my part. He did skip 2 grades though (or am I wrong), and it seems smarter than everyone else, at least in an academic sense. Plus the term genius is ambiguous itself. So again, I'll stfu, but I didn't really mean genius anyways.
Old 2004-01-20, 18:38   Link #94
EtherNEZ
AIR is good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo
It's hard to distinguish when something is meant for kids and when something isn't, but in the case of Mujin Wakusei Survive, it's clearly a kid's cartoon, but so what? It's awesome. Some kid cartoons are awesome. Like Arthur on PBS.
Indeed. I couldn't have put it better myself. Worry less about deciding if it's for the wee young 'uns or not and simply enjoy it for what it is.

I've had my beady eyes on UPS ( , cursed acronyms - I prefer MWS ^^ but the powers that be hath decided. UPS sounds very military to me, for want of a better word) since its hazy beginnings many moons ago (well okay, a couple). I'm glad it's received much more attention this last couple of weeks. Certainly an interesting bunch of characters and potential for some real desert island mayhem (bear in mind i've only seen up to ep 3). Definitely one to keep an eye on.
EtherNEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 19:03   Link #95
davFunereal
Village watchman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hor
He did skip 2 grades though (or am I wrong)
You're right, exactly two grades according to We Suck Translation.

I just don't want the term boy genius being thrown around for a character, just because he's a techie and a division chess champ (not in the series). Prodigies may be quick but they're no better than their peers in decisions, shown by his gasoline bike opinions--or maybe I'm some kind of eco-nut.
davFunereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 19:10   Link #96
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

I hear ya, I wouldn't want some one still using polluting vechicles at a technological age like that either, plus they aren't using an entire planet's atmosphere. But yea, you are right, he doesn't seem like a genius, just a little techie whiz kid, at least so far.
Old 2004-01-20, 19:27   Link #97
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

I've no idea what any other version says (I stoped trusting translations completely when I started comparing our UPs to other releases....), but in our version Shingo comments no one'll care if it's just him doing it (using fossil fuels).

And yes, he does seem more of a techie kid right now, allthough very clever Iwouldent say "prodigy".
Old 2004-01-20, 19:45   Link #98
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
I've no idea what any other version says (I stoped trusting translations completely when I started comparing our UPs to other releases....), but in our version Shingo comments no one'll care if it's just him doing it (using fossil fuels).

And yes, he does seem more of a techie kid right now, allthough very clever Iwouldent say "prodigy".
I'd say he's more resourceful and inventive than he is an outright genius. He seems like the inventor or MacGuyver type.
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 20:25   Link #99
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

Woah man. Back when only Youma Otakus was doing this, I was really aching for someone else to pick this up, now all the sudden 7 groups have subs on it!? That's like, woah... That is all.
LiQuid|J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 21:56   Link #100
lavalyn

Sometimes the fansubbers need a little push to get started (or keep going)
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote