AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 280 64.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.16%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-03-30, 22:13   Link #21
Ushio
Rise and Fall.

I give it a 9. :D

I love the laughter and agreement initiated by me when I read so many posts claiming how Clannad induced tears, or how Clannad is amazing, or the impact Clannad gave... Part of the fun was coming on this forums and simply sifting through post after post on many different opinions. Clannad made interesting fans, to say the least.

The music is memorable and really fits the series. I love all the songs except the ending song. Animation was great, but it was not so much the fact it was breathtaking or amazing or super-duper-awesome or etc; rather, it did very well accentuating what really mattered - the story.

I had no problems with voice acting, and I loved all the characters. Each one of them played a part, and they're like a part of a huge, loving family!! >A< I only give it a 9 because parts of the first and second season felt like they 'dragged' on for a bit, but that's something minor.

Clannad is very beautiful.. Like life, except animated.
Ushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 09:18   Link #22
dgreater1
Misuzu & Kotomi Protector

I rate it 10/10 for ALL NEW EXPERIENCE. I'm an easily pleased person.
dgreater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 19:33   Link #23
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

rate it 10/10. it was a very great anime that i loved!

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 01:17   Link #24
Full Metal Jackass
Most Senior Member

as a 9 only because something has to be pretty bad ass to get a 10. good story and i liked the characters. also i almost stopped watching after the death scene in the snow but thankfully i saw on here that reality might be a bit different. also i love series that make me think about life in general.
Full Metal Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 09:10   Link #25
Kirku

Giving this series a 10/10 mainly for the reason that there hasn't been an anime that has made me tear up and actually start bawling since i watched Kanon.

This anime was fantastic and very touching, i think it might be awhile before i can ever watch another series that weighs on my heart this much.

Also Ushio-chan is so Kawaii^^
Kirku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 01:42   Link #26
OmegaPhlare
The Romanticism

I love this show. CLANNAD is my happy place; just thinking about the show fills my heart with joy, because for me it was great times. I am happy that everyone was okay at the end of the series, because I thought that their stories were all great. There wasn't a week where I didn't look forward to watching the next episode and sure enough I enjoyed every episode no matter how crazy things got. (IE, Sunohara and Tomoya fighting the soccer club and then each other). It may sound like I enjoy many things simply because they are what they are but I just can't feel this way about other anime. CLANNAD is something special.

I really love the music of CLANNAD, especially the opening and ending themes for After Story. Which by the way, I'm secretly, severely pissed when people speak bad about Torch, which is the song I love so much and whistle to myself when in an overly joyous mood. But I consider that it isn't the song they dislike, but that it comes after the sad episodes.
Old 2009-04-04, 15:38   Link #27
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
my flat out fave kyoani show so far
maybe later i would expend on this but for now just wanted to say this
flat out best
Old 2009-04-05, 08:11   Link #28
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I guess I will weigh-in right now while the topic is relevant. I'd prefer to wait until I can marathon s1 and s2 and really sit down and think about the series but that won't be happening until Summer and exams are over. So I'll give my impression of the series after watching it on a weekly basis and save a more thorough post for later.

First off, it is very, very hard for me to pinpoint an exact rating for Clannad. I guess sort of like Tomoya's story, this show has been ecstasy at times and then a bit "unejoyable" at times. Like others have said, the mini arcs at the start and the discombobulated ending marred the overall rating I would have given it. But unlike others who have said the same, the overall rating I probably would have given the show if it were perfect would be far and away over a 10, because I love this kind of a series and I loved the middle. So it's hard for me to give it a rating, because does it still get a 10 despite obvious flaws? Something with obvious flaws shouldn't get a 10, I think...

Ideally, I think a 10 should be given to a series that at least keeps your attention from the start(it can be a little slow for ~3 episodes), but eventually it should draw you in(the sooner the better) and keep your utmost attention all the way to the very end. And the ending should leave you feeling like you spent your time watching something that was clever or poignant and intelligently made. Air and Kanon, season1, all fit the bill, After Story did not though. Yet, I know that I enjoyed some of the parts from After Story more than anything I've seen in Air or Kanon or even season 1 which I would all give 10's to. So those more powerful scenes have to account for something.

I believe that every episode needs to be relevant to the overall story, in some way. I don't mean that there should be no filler scenes or mini-arcs. Such episodes can work, even if it's just a couple scenes during the filler episode where series' tones and themes are accentuated in those few scenes. In the case of Clannad doing it the right way, it was Tomoya singing to his Daughter or him crying over the loss of Nagisa, or creating some interest in the hospital with Ushio mysteriously visiting it. Something as small as that makes an episode relevant to me. It drives the moral of the story home a little closer. But, I don't want any complete throw away episodes. The first ~8 episodes I felt were just about throw-aways(I will have to watch again to confirm this). I suppose the themes were intended to drive home the theme of family more, but those arcs were just too weak for me. They felt like completely different side-stories that had little consequence to the main themes.

I think the difference between the mini-arcs and the main arcs for side characters, like Fuuko, is that Fuuko's arc stays vivid in my mind even after her arc is done(from season 1 no less) I thnk that really contributes to an understanding of what Clannad is about. Forgettable mini-arcs don't do anything for me(I suppose whether they are memorable or not is up to the viewer, so maybe these arcs are powerful, "Relevant" for some.) Also, I like for any of the characters that were focused on to still stay relevant to the characters that the story is currently focusing on. I like for side-characters to be re-visited and to get updates on them. I like that Fuuko is a relevant part of the overall story even after her arc has ended. (On the other hand maybe I wouldn't want another episode with 5 minutes of Misae, Sunohara, and all of the side-characters either. So I think in After Story's case they just threw in too many arcs, when I would have preferred more focus on the main story.)

As for the ending, I prefer to save the climax for the ending, it feels like the climax of the story was in the middle, and everything after was downhill. There needs to be another, preferrably greater climax at the end. What they gave us at the end, did not feel like a climax to the themes of the story thus-far and all that happened up until the final episode. I would have preferred another episode or two at the end to really put-together what the ending theme of the story is about after all that's happened, that bringing happiness to people is what the story is about now, living life the way it's meant to be lived, not doubting your decisions for a second concerning the one's you love. They should have built up to that climax some more, because the way it's done, is that it's just sort of thrown in there, it's a vague message they're sending. I want a powerful message that will move me. It just doesn't have the proper build-up that the main theme of a story of this caliber deserves. If it is an important theme, which it should be since it's supposed to be their climax, the final theme of the show which should be the lasting theme of the show, should be built up just as well as episode 18. With two episodes showing Ushio & Tomoya's relationship. The ending should have just as much build-up, there should be two episodes showing the relationship between Tomoya and the miracle.

The beginning with the mini-arcs and the ending are such glaring flaws it's very hard to give the series a 10. But, thinking about it, this thread is about considering the series overall, and I think when it all comes down to it, that the middle arc is so memorable and powerful that it makes it worth watching over anything else so far this last year IMO. It is strange to give something a "perfect score" when it obviously has flaws, but I would say that this show is definitely a must-see show more so than say Kanon, which I gave a 10 to(Which was enjoyable from start to finish and had some amazing story arcs IMO). But since I would have to give the nod to Clannad, when comparing the two, I think I would by default have to give After Story a 10, because it's better than some stories that I've already given a 10 to.

Overall, great show. So now I'll just throw in some thoughts on the technical aspects and spout out some other ramblings: Tomoya, Ushio, Tomoya's Grandmother had perfect voice acting for that dramatic episode. One could not hope for better voice actors for serious roles IMO. I hope they'll appear in drama series' again in the future. The Furukawa's, and Fuuko, they had perfect voices for a feel good story and for bits of comedy(Well I already knew that about Kikuko Inoue). I hope Ai Nonaka will get a main role in a comedy(Bigger than the one she has in Zetsubou) On the whole I could not envision better voice actors for the series, at least for the main roles.

Music, is always spot on with the animation, that is truly an art in itself to get the scenes to match up with the music. The way distant years starts off somber and sad as Tomoya recollects about the harsh past he spent with his father, and the way as soon as Tomoya becomes resolute about how to think about his Father, the music picks up, and he says "iie" or no in response to whether his father was a bad father. The turning point in the characters way of thinking is exactly on key with the turning point in the music. Perfect directing by all of the staff for that episode.

Animation was a bit off though throughout the series, it was inconsistent. This is just conjecture, but I think they have two studios working on the animation. Their main studio, Studio Blue? worked on the important episodes and their child animation studio, Studio Do seemed to get the episodes that were less important to the main arc...

In summary, they upped the ante with Clannad: After Story, they ended up jumbling and botching a few parts here and there, which is the first time I've seen KyoAni make a mistake in my eyes(Seeing torch was when doubt first crept in, I said so in the music section when the first episode came out.) But in the end I gotta give Clannad a 10, the story just soared too high there in the middle to not give it a 10. However, because of the errors that I saw, from now on I'll once again be a bit apprehensive in the future products from this studio. Just when I thought I could take the work coming out of KyoAni for granted as being just about perfect too...(K-on! already seems a bit rocky and ordinary man IMO). But as far as Clannad goes, I must just say: Bravo Clannad!, you had me hooked from the first episode of season 1 all the way to the end of After Story, I will always treasure the memories of the characters and the story.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 00:04   Link #29
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Animation Quality: 9.5
The animation quality was amazing. Despite having a few scenes not as well as others, overall fantastic. Really vibrant colors, amazing attention to movements and details. Some fight scenes needed work and a few bits here and there.

Voice Actors: 10
Amazing work. Overall just fantastic! Each character was cast perfectly.

Adaptation from Game: 8
Well we did confuse alot of people who had not played the game. I think a couple restarts that made people realize them, without thinking it came out of nowhere. As well I have heard some people did not see the orbs (yeah whatever) maybe had more appearances in the anime. I personally found Yukine's story to be a spoiler but I'm just shocked that no one picked it up. I can't help but almost roll my eyes at people who could not have seen something from this story.
The scenes added and animated for the anime was fantastic. I loved seeing the Illusionary world and the final scene. Those were favorites as some other beautiful shots.
Points taken off for leaving out Kappei, Akio and Sanae's route and then going and having a re-cap 0_o not fair. I hope an OVA or something for Kyou or Kappei. As well lost point for not using Illusionary world as first scene in episode 1. a big mistake to me.
In all it was fine without the hints for game players but appealing for everyone else maybe some bigger hints or maybe people should pay attention better.

Editing:9
It is hard to say but some edits to some parts and longer additions we could of had Kappei or other arcs. As well music editing man...what was up with that. I big grip amoung us all. How could they put the endings like that?

Average = I would say 9.5 rounded off to a 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Probably the show's weakest point besides the reset. Nearly half the entire season was nonsensical and unnecessary side story arcs that didn't add anything. Misae's boyfriend being a cat, Tomoya beating up gang members... I dunno what they were thinking. The entire school portion just kept dragging and after we get through those we start rapidly leaping through months and years in the blink of an eye.
Seriously...your one of those that didn't pay enough attention to anything. You NEED to have the other story arcs to get the orbs It is the story of the people in the town, their happiness that grants the wish. Obviously explained in the show and here. They were thinking just fine. Yeah and Toradora has excellent pacing >.>
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 22:44   Link #30
qwertyuiopz

as much as i wanted to give it a 10
i was quite disappointed with a few things >:@
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 22:57   Link #31
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post

as much as i wanted to give it a 10
i was quite disappointed with a few things >:@
That is quite a vague impression, do you mind elaborating a little bit?

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 23:13   Link #32
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
That is quite a vague impression, do you mind elaborating a little bit?
Psst, I bet it has something to do with the ending.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 23:31   Link #33
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Psst, I bet it has something to do with the ending.

- Tak
lol Really? And here I thought it was because of the "magical reset" that seems to be popular. Oh wait...that is the ending

Actually for some reason, I get the feeling that people like to make Toradora! as a rival to Clannad...

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-04-25, 23:34   Link #34
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

... wherever that came from?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 00:20   Link #35
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Actually for some reason, I get the feeling that people like to make Toradora! as a rival to Clannad...
... which is like comparing apple to bananas...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-04-26, 15:27   Link #36
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
... wherever that came from?
Well I've seen comments on this site as well as other forums talking about how great Toradora! was and that after watching Clannad, Toradora! was the only thing they could think of. That's where I get the feeling that people like to compare these 2 shows but I don't see any reason behind it.

Quote:
... which is like comparing apple to bananas...

- Tak
Exactly. I watched Toradora! and although it was a nice show, I didn't find it very breathtaking but it was good none-the-less. Clannad is just a different show altogether and has a completely different feel, maybe it's because they were showing around the same time? Still, Clannad is on the top of my list

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-04-26, 15:32   Link #37
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

No, I mean, why bring it to this thread at all when it has only been mentioned in passing...
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 15:37   Link #38
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
No, I mean, why bring it to this thread at all when it has only been mentioned in passing...
An instinct really. I just mentioned it and that's about it really, I don't have much of a reason, I just type what comes to mind at the moment.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-04-26, 16:10   Link #39
Tak

I mean, I could understand it if one was to compare Clannad with Kanon, which would make much more sense.

Kanon, which preceded Clannad, was pretty much used as a basis, as a lot of elements left from Kanon were kept intact in varying degrees.

Girl in coma? Check.
Girl in coma with spirit walking about? Check.
Animals turned into human being but could not sustain self? Check.
Certain food you just cannot eat? Check.

And many, many, others.

- Tak

Old 2009-04-26, 17:57   Link #40
DeX-kun

Quote:
I mean, I could understand it if one was to compare Clannad with Kanon, which would make much more sense.

Kanon, which preceded Clannad, was pretty much used as a basis, as a lot of elements left from Kanon were kept intact in varying degrees.

Girl in coma? Check.
Girl in coma with spirit walking about? Check.
Animals turned into human being but could not sustain self? Check.
Certain food you just cannot eat? Check.

And many, many, others.

- Tak
Although you could eat the bread without any real side effects, the jam on the other hand...

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"