AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2012-08-22, 16:52   Link #361
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Think about it! Incest simply concentrates genes. Generally this means bad ones, because they're the ones which are prone to be recessive (if they weren't you'd be dead) and someone in your family would be more likely have more copies of em than someone else at random in the population. So your children are statistically more likely to come out with with those genes expressed, which in general again are the bad ones (the good ones would likely be dominant since they confer competitive advantage.. etcetc.. 101 ftw). Inbreeding depression would only result further down the line.. blahblah..

On the other hand.. what if you were bringing together superior genes? As in, really really superior genes? Yeah. That's right.

This message was sponsored and approved by the Siscon conglomerate. © 2012 All rights reserved

No liabilities will be accepted for any loss, damage, disability or death resulting either directly or indirectly from this message.
Just a nitpick but i think you might have a misunderstanding of dominant/ recessive genes. A recessive gene is no more likely to be bad/harmful then a dominant gene and just as many gentic disorders are cause by bad Dominant genes, it's just the ones that are detramental to the point of not being able to reproduce get weeded out of the gene pool fairly quickly. And no matter how advantagous a gene is a recessive gene will never become a dominant gene. It may become a common gene in a population if the dominant gene causes too big of a disadvanage to breeding.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 20:15   Link #362
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

I see, it's like the earlier analogy about doing it one time vs several times, right?

You have rised my hopes for a Tatsuya x Miyuki (or Miyuki x Tatsuya?) ending
Syokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 21:00   Link #363
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Just a nitpick but i think you might have a misunderstanding of dominant/ recessive genes. A recessive gene is no more likely to be bad/harmful then a dominant gene and just as many gentic disorders are cause by bad Dominant genes, it's just the ones that are detramental to the point of not being able to reproduce get weeded out of the gene pool fairly quickly. And no matter how advantagous a gene is a recessive gene will never become a dominant gene. It may become a common gene in a population if the dominant gene causes too big of a disadvanage to breeding.
The idea is that if a gene is dominant, it will be expressed more. Hence there are very few disadvantageous dominant genes simply because a disadvantageous gene will inevitably affect reproductive fitness in comparison to organisms without it. Maybe not in a few generations, since the environment plays a large part, but definitely over this amount of time.

Which is why most disadvantageous are recessive, because statstically speaking since heterozygotes show no/lesser symptoms there will be fewer offspring with the disadvantageous phenotype than if the trait was dominant. Which is also why incest tends to bring out recessives, because said genes are generally pretty spread out so if your family happens to have copies of them then it's more likely your siblings will also have said gene than someone random off the street. Statistically. I'm pretty sure you know the mechanics. The point being that more recessives are disadvantageous than advantageous because if they were bad they'd get lost and if they were good they'd confer advantage and gradually become dominant. We won't go into heterozygote advantage or anything that complicates things..

Wait. I'm meant to be supporting Her Highness here. Yeah. So just because it's recessive doesn't mean it's bad. Wait. That was your position.

......ah, screw science. MIYUKI o>
Old 2012-08-22, 21:14   Link #364
kfcpanda

lolz less science more miyuki eh?

speaking of her highness, when are next chapters for koukou/yuut coming out?
kfcpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 22:34   Link #365
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcpanda View Post
lolz less science more miyuki eh?

speaking of her highness, when are next chapters for koukou/yuut coming out?
next week around that time

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 12:32   Link #366
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

To anyone interested in to get the first volume of MKnR: http://www.amazon.co.jp/魔法科高校の劣等生-1-.../dp/4757537220

I hope it will have extra stuff.
Old 2012-08-23, 16:55   Link #367
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
The idea is that if a gene is dominant, it will be expressed more. Hence there are very few disadvantageous dominant genes simply because a disadvantageous gene will inevitably affect reproductive fitness in comparison to organisms without it. Maybe not in a few generations, since the environment plays a large part, but definitely over this amount of time.
Sorry i can't stand sloppy science, it's a pet pevee. I am takeing from the way you have both worded this statement and your last one that if a trait is common the gene is dominant, not that because a gene is dominant it is common. This is where I percive the flaw in your statement. Here are some examples of how dominant and recessive genes work.
Let B= brown eyes and b= Blue eyes and there are 3 people 1 who has blue eyes (bb) and 2 who has brown eyes (BB) and 3 who also has brown eyes (Bb).
any kids between 1 and 2 will always have brown eyes since they will always get a dominant brown eye gene, either (Bb) or (bB) on the other hand kids from 1 and 3 have a 50% chance of haveing a blue eye kid (Bb)(bb).

Now even if you remove all the people with brown eyes from the population so everyone is born with blue eyes, blue eyes is still a recessive gene and not a dominant one.

If this is not what you ment I apoligize it just was not worded well then. now back to more of the cute girls
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 17:05   Link #368
Seitsuki
Onee!

Oh. Hm. Well, I was speaking with Her Highness in mind so my analogies were based solely around phenotypes which affect reproductive fitness and the genes which would influence them. Which would make for terrible scientific theory if you applied it to genetics in general I guess.

I do get that just because a gene is dominant doesn't mean it's more common, simply expressed more. Recessives by the same logic aren't less common. However when you throw in phenotypic consequences, incomplete/semi-dominance and the like then stuff gets more complicated.

Er. Yeah, let's not have science. We'll just assume that if they can do magic they can fiddle around with the genome and smooth out any complications.
Old 2012-08-23, 19:20   Link #369
Mentar
Banned

Thanks for Yuutousei 3 ... one more to go and we're caught up! And lord knows that the next chapter has some really cute scenes *grin* ... Honoka is a hoot!
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 21:54   Link #370
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

OMG when Mayumi complements Tatsuya on his tests to Miyuki, would you check out that look, she's simply over the moon!
Then there's when Tatsuya does the same about her speech, god she's sooooooooo HHNNNGH!

Interesting info about Honoka, didn't expect to find out she's got that trait but that leads to knowing a little more about Tatsuya which is cool.

And thanks for the chapter!
Old 2012-08-24, 01:06   Link #371
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Thanks for the release of ch 3 of Yuutousei .
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 08:02   Link #372
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Someone (in Batoto) said we had to adjust the color to "grayscale"... how silly of him...
It's just part of my vengeance. We will release the proper chapter next time.

This time was something little. In fact, just to say, my editor wast planing to change this page
Spoiler for This page:

with this one
Spoiler for this one:
Old 2012-08-24, 09:47   Link #373
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syokool View Post
This time was something little. In fact, just to say, my editor wast planing to change this page
Spoiler for This page:

with this one
Spoiler for this one:
Tatsuya Shiba
2079 - 2095
Killed by a Miyuki Shiba fan
R.I.P.
Old 2012-08-24, 12:34   Link #374
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

New chapter for Rettousei's out.

So short this month though... :|

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 12:39   Link #375
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

yea too bad it was such a short chapter
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 12:44   Link #376
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
New chapter for Rettousei's out.

So short this month though... :|
Dat senpai
Old 2012-08-24, 12:56   Link #377
blackwhite67
Banned

Still, it was pretty cool.

"If it was a real battlefield there wouldn't be a 'next time'"

The light novels just doesn't do this scene justice.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 13:55   Link #378
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Still, it was pretty cool.

"If it was a real battlefield there wouldn't be a 'next time'"

The light novels just doesn't do this scene justice.
Funny how it all works out with that, as Manga does stuff a LN can't do where as a LN can do stuff a manga can't do and same with anime.
Now if you could somehow integrate all 3 into one super thingy then you'd have no probs

Short chapter but great reading, find myself liking Mari more and more.

Still a chapter without Miyuki what is the world coming to!!!
Old 2012-08-24, 14:08   Link #379
Seitsuki
Onee!

Thank you! Thank you for describing what words could not express
Old 2012-08-25, 19:12   Link #380
Iron Maw
Banned

After reading Yuutousei and just witnessing Tatsuya (and Miyuki) takedown a dangerous and unstable magic terrorist it's kinda of laughable that he would have any trouble policing his own classmates in Rettousei
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irregular, koukou, mahouka, manga, rettousei, school life, shounen, yuutousei