AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-10-04, 14:43   Link #1421
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll just say that in the event of a Kyou-Kirino romantic finale, the Westermarck issue pretty much shatters "suspension of disbelief" for me at least. They were raised together so blood, non-blood, cousins, whatever puts the notion into "0.01%" territory. It would take far more than one volume to lay the groundwork for that to be believable.

I'm not against the *idea* (e.g. I found YnS fairly believable) but I'm saying it simply has not been established in the story other than as a comedic jibe.
Old 2012-10-04, 15:07   Link #1422
Sumeragi
Banned

I dispute the Westermarck effect.

But anyway, I see the story as the Kousaka siblings getting over the issues they had between them which includes Kirino's "mutated" feelings due to Manami's interference. As I mentioned earlier, it was likely that Kirino's feelings for Kyousuke was more akin to puppy love that a girl or boy might have for their older sibling of parent, but Manami's way of getting in the way most likely stalled the natural development and led to the current situation.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 15:34   Link #1423
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It would take far more than one volume to lay the groundwork for that to be believable.

I'm not against the *idea* (e.g. I found YnS fairly believable) but I'm saying it simply has not been established in the story other than as a comedic jibe.
Well, I guess it depends on how you define it. In terms of laying the foundation for their feelings, I think they have been doing this for many volumes now. I think it has gone past being a "comedic jibe" for a little while, despite the fact that they try to play coy. But if you mean in terms of laying the foundation for a romantic relationship that could actually resolve itself fully in the next volume, that's where I have to agree that it would be difficult. To me, this is more like the "resolution" than the "foundation". As you said before, if they did decide to go for some sort of Kirino ending, it would likely be rather vague and open-ended, almost more akin to a "live goes on" with a slight nod and a wink. And in fairness, that is one possible direction I could see this story going, even though it'll frustrate people. (Set the stage for a sequel! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
But anyway, I see the story as the Kousaka siblings getting over the issues they had between them which includes Kirino's "mutated" feelings due to Manami's interference. As I mentioned earlier, it was likely that Kirino's feelings for Kyousuke was more akin to puppy love that a girl or boy might have for their older sibling of parent, but Manami's way of getting in the way most likely stalled the natural development and led to the current situation.
I can agree with this in concept, but I would only add (to fit into your "issues which include" classification) that Kyousuke's feelings are also at issue now. Kirino may have had her childhood "crush" mutated because of what happened, but what's going on with Kyousuke seems to be more of a new development since their relationship was rekindled. At the very least we can say that he has certainly become quite the "siscon" over the course of the story (possibly didn't help that Kirino kept feeding him imouto-moe eroge ). So I think a resolution here has to include some sort of acknowledgement from both sides.

At the end of the day, I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the story will end with Kirino conveying her genuine gratitude/feelings somehow, and Kyousuke doing a title call. I'd bet on it.
Old 2012-10-04, 17:06   Link #1424
iCK

Quote:
I'll just say that in the event of a Kyou-Kirino romantic finale, the Westermarck issue pretty much shatters "suspension of disbelief" for me at least. They were raised together so blood, non-blood, cousins, whatever puts the notion into "0.01%" territory. It would take far more than one volume to lay the groundwork for that to be believable.

Like relentlessflame said, the author has been building the groundwork for Kirino and Kyousuke to be an actual couple. Even though most if it seemed like a joke, there has been parts of the LN where they were perceived as an actual couple, even though they were only acting it out. An example would be the date they go on together in volume 7. Though the date they went on was a total trick just so Kirino can actually go on a date with Kyousuke in volume 7. Since no one was actually following them. The wedding dress skit in volume 9, Kyousuke was in a suit and Kirino was in a wedding dress.

I feel as though they are nonchalantly guiding us towards a KirinoxKyousuke Route.
iCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 17:41   Link #1425
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

The same applies to Kuroneko x Kyousuke. Ayase and Manami have less chances to be the last girl here, but they aren't out of the game either.

I like Ayase a lot, and Kuroneko is a good choise also, but even if you read the actual books you can't guess what the ending will be
Syokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 17:57   Link #1426
hans_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
And in fairness, that is one possible direction I could see this story going, even though it'll frustrate people. (Set the stage for a sequel! )
So, I`m guessing you are talking about Manami ??
hans_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 19:13   Link #1427
GVN.Chaos

Quote:

Actually, the Westermarck effect is not really against them in this case. They were raised together, got a good foundation relationship, then when Kirino is about to understand "he is my brother, I can't married him" (on her own), their relationship shattered. So she never go to that part, and still (maybe) considered him as male. This is quite similar to Himenokoji Akiko's case.
GVN.Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 19:27   Link #1428
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVN.Chaos View Post
Actually, the Westermarck effect is not really against them in this case. They were raised together, got a good foundation relationship, then when Kirino is about to understand "he is my brother, I can't married him" (on her own), their relationship shattered. So she never go to that part, and still (maybe) considered him as male. This is quite similar to Himenokoji Akiko's case.
Hmmm, yes, I was saying that because they were raised together, they are highly unlikely to see each other as sexually attracted - that is the effect that the Westermarck theory tries to describe. The effect is seen in multiple species. It isn't a 100% thing but it does put the onus on the author to provide a really good foundation for overriding the effect.
Old 2012-10-04, 19:30   Link #1429
leorodri100

back to the oreimo thread after a long time...

after reading pages 55 to 72 of the thread i see that it really is like the psp second game, anyone who may have played it know the final battle in kirinos route,

note that im my analisys i will make use of all of the other media for oreimo, because i no longer believe they are distinct works

Spoiler:
leorodri100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 19:36   Link #1430
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Hmmm, yes, I was saying that because they were raised together, they are highly unlikely to see each other as sexually attracted - that is the effect that the Westermarck theory tries to describe. The effect is seen in multiple species. It isn't a 100% thing but it does put the onus on the author to provide a really good foundation for overriding the effect.
Well, except that the narrative has already made it pretty clear that they are sexually attracted to each other (particularly clear in the later volumes), and I can't really dismiss all that as a joke. Now, of course, whether that leads anywhere is another question. I suppose if it does not lead anywhere, some could then dismiss the whole thing as just a red herring, but I think we're a bit past the point of using Westermarck with these siblings...
Old 2012-10-04, 19:44   Link #1431
iCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syokool View Post
The same applies to Kuroneko x Kyousuke. Ayase and Manami have less chances to be the last girl here, but they aren't out of the game either.

I like Ayase a lot, and Kuroneko is a good choise also, but even if you read the actual books you can't guess what the ending will be
Its probably been stated here some where in this thread, but the only characters I can see end up being with Kyousuke is either Kirino or Ayase.
Kuroneko already had her shot and she ended up being happy by just being by his side, shown via hand-drawn pictures by her being a maid to a possible coupling of Kyousuke and Kirino at the time.
So Kuroneko is out of the picture to me.
That leaves us with Manami, Saori, Kirino, Kanaka, and Ayase.
I believe Manami is also out of the picture.
This is due because of Kyousuke's old friend who confessed her love to him three years prior to Ore no Imouto, yet he turned her down because Kyousuke stated that he loves someone else. To my knowledge, the cold war was just starting up and Kyousuke and Kirino were still on good terms with each other.
Manami is out because when Kirino and Kyousuke started to rebuild their broken relationship, he accepted Kuroneko's feelings at the time without knowing Kirino's true feelings. Kyousuke can't possibly love Manami romantically because he started dating Kurnoneko volumes 7-8 with him ending up being dumped and Kirino catching the rebound. (He even said something along the lines of "damn, if Kirino wasn't my sister I would have defiantly fallen for her.")
Saori and Kanaka can't possibly be an option because it seemed they didn't spend enough time with Kyousuke to be a rival towards the other girls.
With Kirino and Ayase left, its easy to think that Kyousuke will end up Ayase just because he stated many times that he wants to marry her.

As for Kirino's gift to Kyousuke I think it will be;

A. His actual love that we have not yet met from three years ago
or
B. Kirino herself, by giving some type of document/book (such as that album she had in her secret otaku closet, we still have yet to see what is in there and I think it will play a huge part.) that shows they aren't real blood-related siblings.

Even in the anime, it left us wondering what is in that album. It wasn't discussed thoroughly since in the "good ending" the airplane ticket flies out of it and they get into a huge fight without actually seeing the album.
iCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 20:01   Link #1432
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

U remember that box as well!

Yeah, there are a lot of reasons to think of any of them as the chosen girl, even Manami.

Spoiler for Comparison to Mayo Chiki LN:

Being honest, I was rooting for Ayase since vol.1. It was after volume 5 that I started to think in Kirino as a possible romantical partner for Kyousuke.

I'll be happy wherever the choose will be (more happy if it's Ayase or Kirino), and not with an open ending where all live getting along with the others while still fighting for Kyousuke's love.

Maybe, Kanako would be the right choise (loli end. FTW ).

----

As for Akiko Himenokouji, she's in another level of beign brocon.

If she could, she'd have raped Akito a long ago

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-04 at 20:23. Reason: added spoiler for comparison, just in case
Syokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 21:16   Link #1433
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Quote:
Spoiler for PSP Game if Story Plot:
Quote:

That's what basically Sena said to Kyousuke and Kirino on the second PSP game, I think.
Spoiler for PSP game:

And I think that won't be the case for the light novel since the PSP story don't cover their pasts yet (when they really close, Kyousuke is hot-blooded good student, etc), thus Kyousuke on PSP can claim he doesn't really see Kirino as a little sister.

Quote:
At the end of the day, I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the story will end with Kirino conveying her genuine gratitude/feelings somehow, and Kyousuke doing a title call. I'd bet on it.
It'd be hilarious if the ending is Kyousuke is in relationship with other girl *preferably Ayase* but Kirino is also gives him her real feeling so Kyousuke does a variation of title call for epilogue, like "I'm Kousaka Kyousuke. I already have a wonderful girlfriend beside me, but for some reason I always skip a heartbeat whenever I see Kirino, my little sister. My little sister can't be this cute!", with a final scene of Kirino steal Kyousuke's attention from his girlfriend who left on the background

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syokool View Post
Maybe, Kanako would be the right choise (loli end. FTW ).
True loli end would be Bridgette as the end girl

Or maybe Kirino's ex-roommate when she was on America? XD
Forgot the name but I remember she's younger than Kirino
Old 2012-10-04, 22:28   Link #1434
GVN.Chaos

Quote:
Raised together, true. But my point is aside from living close to each other, their relationship was so badly damaged that they barely talk to each other. So they almost like stranger. Westermarck theory states that they need to familiar with to develop sexually attracted - which both Kirino and Kyou don't, thus null Westermarck.
GVN.Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 23:02   Link #1435
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVN.Chaos View Post
Westermarck theory states that they need to familiar with to develop sexually attracted - which both Kirino and Kyou don't, thus null Westermarck.
Well, the problem is that the theory -- as written -- says that it's time in your youngest years that affect this, which is not an (apparent?) issue for Kirino and Kyousuke (barring some further development). The time they spent apart was in their late-childhood/early-teen-aged years, so well after when Westermarck should have statistically taken its effect.

But in any case, it's a general rule that has some statistical significance (has been observed in studies); barring further revelation, I think it's something the author has not made apply in this story's case. I don't think attraction is the issue, but stigma and a variety of other plot-dependant reasons are more likely to stop them if anything.
Old 2012-10-05, 04:53   Link #1436
hans_87

hey guys does enybody knows when second season of the anime starts ?? I heard it will start on december 12th, but i dont know if that true. Could anybody confirm that , please and i know is probably too erly, but is there any information when volume 12 is relesed ??
hans_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 08:01   Link #1437
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I think the December 12 release you're talking about is volume 12.

As for S2, no word on when it'll start airing. Though since (I believe) there's no website up for it yet even, it won't be for quite a while.
Old 2012-10-05, 15:45   Link #1438
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

All this is pretty much why I'd pick Saori.
Old 2012-10-05, 18:30   Link #1439
Maugomale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I think the December 12 release you're talking about is volume 12
Doubt it. Oreimo novels usually are released 6 months apart from each other
Maugomale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 21:25   Link #1440
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_87 View Post
hey guys does enybody knows when second season of the anime starts ?? I heard it will start on december 12th, but i dont know if that true. Could anybody confirm that , please and i know is probably too erly, but is there any information when volume 12 is relesed ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I think the December 12 release you're talking about is volume 12.

As for S2, no word on when it'll start airing. Though since (I believe) there's no website up for it yet even, it won't be for quite a while.

Nope, Dengeki's line up for December does not include OreImo.

And of course there's absolutely no way a high profile Anime like this would start in December- That's the final leg of the Fall season.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings