AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 14
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 103 45.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 58 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 19 8.48%
7 out of 10 : Good... 16 7.14%
6 out of 10 : Average... 10 4.46%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 1.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.45%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 8 3.57%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-07, 00:58   Link #221
TimeSkip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
Oh, that was an impressive episode. I do hope the second half of the anime doesn't suddenly degrade into boring shit, though. That would suck.

Lol @ Kirito not dying even though he was killed.
He defeated the last boss; the game was over and logged him out before it'd zap his brain. Besides, a player losing all his HP doesn't die right away. For all we know, there are at least 10 secs or more. Remember that revival item in ep.3?

Last edited by TimeSkip; 2012-10-07 at 02:18.
TimeSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 01:10   Link #222
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I really enjoyed this episode, but this cliff hanger is much worst then the last episode. The reason for me is that we know there are plenty of episodes left, but what of Asuna x Kirito situation??? I hope the two meet up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Duckroll sum this ep perfectly:

Episode 14
Kirito is far from a Mary Sue, he in his own opinion messed up many times and carries a boat load of regret. If he is a Mary Sue then actual Mary Sues would have to be upgraded to ascended 1000th dimension beings.

So far he has impressed one girl and got another. In 2 years if a person is not capable of impressing one person then that is something to do with the person, as impressing someone isn't a Mary Sue feat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
So...it's still got 10 more episodes?

Anyways, thoughts:

3) I had the pleasure of being bed-ridden for almost a year. Let me say that the physical therapy required for me to just re-learn how to walk, nevermind actually walking, then running, etc was no joke. There's no way Kirito would be up and walking after his ordeal.
Hmmm isn't this to also do with the way the person went into a coma? I notice a lot of articles use the word "may" for example:

"Other people may need therapy to relearn basic things like tying their shoes, eating with a fork or spoon, or learning to walk all over again. They may also have problems with speaking or remembering things."

Article on coma

Quote:

4) With everyone waking up in the real world, the hospital seemed awfully empty. Heck, the hospital seemed awfully empty, period.
Not much happening with coma patients I guess, or a prelude to zombie madness!!!

Quote:
5) The shift from the end of episode 13, full of despair as they hadn't hardly moved the boss' hp bars, to how easy it all was at the start of episode 14 was a bit jarring.
This actually bolstered my thought on how it was mostly panic that cost everyone their lives. The problem with making up a team from players of other teams (aka World Cup time), is unless they spend a while training together, they won't be able to deal with new situations.

Quote:
6) With 4k people dead already, the angst over 14 seemed a bit out of place. Repeated exposure hardens people emotionally. Just the way life works.
I must be evil as over 100k people die everyday, but I don't feel hardened in anyway. Of course if someone I knew, or even if someone died in front of me, now that would be a different case!
Old 2012-10-07, 01:13   Link #223
Cyblaster
Lurker

The first thing I thought of when I saw Asuna getting out of the paralysis was Yui. Somehow that little gem overwrote the status from Kayaba so Asuna could protect Kirito. I always thought the author added her into the series as a way to have an out for all the unexplainable stuff Kirito/Asuna did in the final fight against Heathcliff.

edit: And a lot of people focused on the inability to walk after two years of being bedridden, but how about his eyes? The FPPOV when he opened his eyes had a crystal clear shot of the hospital room.

Last edited by Cyblaster; 2012-10-07 at 01:35.
Cyblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 01:34   Link #224
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think the angst here was because the 14 people who died were among the best players they gathered to beat this high-level boss, and they already lost the first round of people who tried. So the context was that they still had 25 floors to go, and taking these sorts of losses of high-level players makes it less likely that they'll be able to clear the game.
Maybe.. not really..

Spoiler for Minor novel details:
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 01:40   Link #225
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Maybe.. not really..

Even so, the game will still get progressively harder as you approach the final stage. We also already know, from past conversations, that they have been having a hard time recruiting staff for the front lines and they're already stretched to the limits. Whether it's expected or not, losing more of the best people is not exactly a good thing at that stage.
Old 2012-10-07, 01:44   Link #226
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Maybe.. not really..

Regardless of that, losing 14 members of a somewhat small group that are noted as "The best" (to say nothing of the scouting party) would be a kick in the teeth in any life-or-death situation.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 01:46   Link #227
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Even so, the game will still get progressively harder as you approach the final stage. We also already know, from past conversations, that they have been having a hard time recruiting staff for the front lines and they're already stretched to the limits. Whether it's expected or not, losing more of the best people is not exactly a good thing at that stage.
Also subconsciously they might be thinking we just lost 14, that could have easily been me!
Old 2012-10-07, 01:54   Link #228
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

As the climax of the first part, this episode is somewhat underwhelming. The boss fight ended too fast. It felt like they forgot part of the last episode and put it there. The Heathcliff fight was a bit of a let down. Heathcliff barely moved throughout. I guess I am rather spoiled by Fate/Zero.

But man, Kirito x Asuna is such a refreshing match up. I just can't help but love them both and hope for the best possible outcome for them. I cannot remember feeling this way towards any couple in anime.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 02:04   Link #229
novalysis

Basically, Kayaba is a Chuyubonni genius who had the ability to turn his fantasy into terrifying reality with the aid of VR.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 02:07   Link #230
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
But man, Kirito x Asuna is such a refreshing match up. I just can't help but love them both and hope for the best possible outcome for them. I cannot remember feeling this way towards any couple in anime.
Yeah, their relationship is the one thing that works just fine. It might be cheesy, but it feels like that's how teenage romance would be in that sort of situation. In fact the whole thing is so unabashedly in your face that it feels surprisingly sincere. lol

I wonder if Kawahara realizes what he managed to do with these two. It feels like it happened by accident or something.
Old 2012-10-07, 02:13   Link #231
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
True, but wouldn't having operations and injuries contribute to that kind of weakness? Unlike in your situation, Kirito and the others weren't undergoing surgeries or suffering from injuries that they need to recover from. I agree that there's no way he should be up that fast, but a lot of people do crazy and stupid actions when they're upset--and Kirito likely thinks that he survived because he beat the game, and figures Asuna didn't get that same kind of reward, having been killed before the game was cleared. That kind of grief is probably fueling his actions.
He passed out because when you're bedridden besides the muscles you usually think of, your heart muscles and lungs already start to atrophy because they don't exert as much to pump blood/air as when you're standing up. After that long period if you suddenly stood up, you'd feel dizzy, lack of breath and cold sweating as if you just ran a marathon without physical training.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 02:22   Link #232
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui04 View Post
He passed out because when you're bedridden besides the muscles you usually think of, your heart muscles and lungs already start to atrophy because they don't exert as much to pump blood/air as when you're standing up. After that long period if you suddenly stood up, you'd feel dizzy, lack of breath and cold sweating as if you just ran a marathon without physical training.
Not too sure about the lungs, but pretty sure their hearts got a good workout every time they were in a stressful situation!
Old 2012-10-07, 02:30   Link #233
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Not too sure about the lungs, but pretty sure their hearts got a good workout every time they were in a stressful situation!
We don't know yet if the accelerated heartrate, breathing and adrenaline rush was all in their minds or if it manifested physically completely or partially too.

And actually I meant the diaphragm, but also the lungs too. People that exercise or swim frequently can tell you that they do lose pulmonary capacity after a long period of break. Besides the little workout the heart might get pumping blood in a sleeping position is peanuts compared to just standing up and pumping blood to your head against the force of gravity, so the heart will keep atrophying anyways.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 02:37   Link #234
Trans-Fat

I might be the only who feel this way, but I felt that it was rushed a little bit. I feel that these past 2 episode should have been done in 3-- 1 episode for the fishing, 1 for the skeleton boss fight, and 1 for the Kayaba fight-- as I feel there would be more development. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the episode. 9/10 as I felt it was being rushed.

As for Asuna-should-be-dead, I have some theories about it also.
1) Players do not die unless Kayaba terminates the player; ie players who die will have their death info sent to Kayaba where Kayaba can choose to "kill" them or not. In this case, Kayaba either did not terminate Asuma or forgot.
2) Like others said, it might all be choreographed. Kayaba might have given an unknown title or power to her, without her or anyone's knowledge, that allows her to die and get revived only once. Similarily to how Kirito was granted the ability of duel-wielding.
3) Kayaba might have grant her some power as to Kirito's wish, which also might have cancelled out the paralysis.
4) It was shown during the duel between Kirito and Heathcliff that Heathcliff can access GM command or hack without having to use his finger commands (like when Kirito was about to slash Heathcliff but he "hacked" to avoid getting hit). Kayaba might have "hacked" the program at the very last minute before slashing Asuna to allow her to revive from his hit.
5) Kirito and Asuna still has another AI with them (not sure which has her) in the form or Yui's heart. I am guessing the latter has the item. It was never said that the heart was useless or inert-- perhaps Yui's heart allowed the paralysis to wear off Asuna-- and saved Asuna from Kayaba.
6) Asuna HAX or used an exploit. I mean it IS an mmorpg, and every mmo's can be hacked and exploited.
7) Asuna didn't die because the author didn't want to kill her off. If this was a shonen LN, then yeah 'nuff said. Look at Naruto, Bleach, etc and all who were supposed to be dead.

edit: since there has been some debate about Asuna's "death", why not create a thread specifically for it?
Old 2012-10-07, 02:38   Link #235
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
This actually bolstered my thought on how it was mostly panic that cost everyone their lives. The problem with making up a team from players of other teams (aka World Cup time), is unless they spend a while training together, they won't be able to deal with new situations.
It should probably be noted:

Spoiler for Light Novel comparison:
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 02:40   Link #236
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Just watched the 14th episode... At the ending, when Kirito and Asuna were at the heaven of the SAO world, tears were in my eyes. I was happy to see that they could meet after they died to say a final farewell when all of the SAO world disappeared, but... when Kirito woke up at the hospital, all weak and when... the first thing he had done is to look for Asuna... I've started to cry... Call me sentimental and all, but this was the ending I've wanted to see. They could even end the anime here, there's no better ending than this.
Old 2012-10-07, 02:41   Link #237
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
That really felt like a finale, and it feels like it should be left like that. There is still half of the series left to go? I wonder what the rest would be about?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 02:51   Link #238
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsundere Louise View Post
Just watched the 14th episode... At the ending, when Kirito and Asuna were at the heaven of the SAO world, tears were in my eyes. I was happy to see that they could meet after they died to say a final farewell when all of the SAO world disappeared, but... when Kirito woke up at the hospital, all weak and when... the first thing he had done is to look for Asuna... I've started to cry... Call me sentimental and all, but this was the ending I've wanted to see. They could even end the anime here, there's no better ending than this.
Yeah, if I'm being totally honest, this is really a lot of it for me too. I'm way too sentimental for my own good, and get teary-eyed easily when watching emotional scenes in anime. This episode was definitely no exception. To me, the way they portrayed the bond between the couple was beautiful and priceless, and the ending was really powerful. I can understand in my head that maybe I should be more upset about some of the things people are complaining about (and I do think about it, obviously), but the problem is that I'm way too sappy...
Old 2012-10-07, 02:58   Link #239
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
What I'm more concerned about is that, does hair grow when you are in coma like state.
I have no idea what world you are living in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
Kayaba had said it himself that he was satisfied from seeing that the law of his own world was broken. Asuna cancelled the paralysis by herself, and Kirito didn't die when he was killed, that's what it means to "beat the game", to overcome the constrain of the system, surpassing its law, breaking something that should not have been possible to be broken.
Doesn't Klein still have the resurrect item from the christmas arc?

He could have used it and resurrected Kirito, and Kayaba had forgotten he added that item to the game.
Old 2012-10-07, 02:58   Link #240
Sumeragi
Banned

About the "Chaged into Immortal Object" thing:

Let's face it, in the end the game was supposed to be made by a Japanese programmer who had a dream of making a perfect fantasy world. Do you really expect such a person to have perfect English and thus write everything perfectly? I mean really, given the large amounts of typos you can see in any sort of game, just why are people screaming about "****ed up" and such? I can understand the complaining about the sentence making it ambiguous to understand what it was trying to say, but to attack the incorrect English itself seems like an over-sensitive reaction that is almost at a hypocritical/ignorant level.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote