AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-03-26, 09:29   Link #141
seiftis
~defying fate

I'm actually glad that it's not based on StrikerS. There's way too many characters in the StrikerS series, that I'm not sure how they're gonna make a good movie out of it, if they decides to make one.
Old 2013-03-26, 10:36   Link #142
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
So, do you think it will thus do nothing wrong and have no plot holes? Or that any plot holes can be immediately disregarded as long as there are enough shiny explosions?
Plot holes can arise in almost any story of course. So plot holes will of course remain fair game for discussion and criticism.

However, when an animated movie is a retelling of a story that was already presented in a TV anime, scene-by-scene comparisons are inevitable. Everybody will have their favorite moments that they won't like seeing get the axe in the movie.

With a brand new narrative, this isn't an issue. I think that the action scenes in the latest Nanoha movie would have been better received by a lot of people (particularly Nanya) if there was no TV anime to compare it to. As the old saying goes, you can't miss what you never had.

It's kind of like the difference between an anime original and an anime adaptation. With an anime adaptation, you have some fans that pretty much demand totally fidelity to the source material, and will complain massively over every edit it receives (see the Little Busters! subforum for evidence of this ). But for an anime original, this isn't a factor at all of course, which is liberating to it in many respects.

And even though I really enjoyed the latest Nanoha movie, I was never a fan of the Reboot approach in the first place. I've been waiting for the Nanoha anime to move forward for a very, very, very long time now. So I've relieved that it's finally going to do so.
Old 2013-03-26, 10:38   Link #143
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Triple_R, you obviously don't know the Slayers fandom.

Try was the, at the time, most hated part of Slayers, even though I liked it, because it deviated from the novels majorly and kept Luke and Milliena out while introducing Valgaav and Filia.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 10:41   Link #144
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
At the very least we won't have the same level of one-on-one comparisons.
In theory. But if they so much as have any scenes that vaguely seem to be from A's/2nd... (i.e. a flashback)
Old 2013-03-26, 11:20   Link #145
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post

Try was the, at the time, most hated part of Slayers, even though I liked it, because it deviated from the novels majorly and kept Luke and Milliena out while introducing Valgaav and Filia.
I'm not sure where you're going with this. I could see your point if the next Nanoha movie is designed to completely replace the StrikerS narrative. And does it by, say, using two entirely new antagonists and taking out Lutecia, Jail, and Jail's Numbers.

But my guess is that we're getting Nanoha's teenage years next (at least that's what I hope), and so that shouldn't preclude too much of the StrikerS narrative.
Old 2013-03-26, 11:26   Link #146
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Anime original and you said people should have no problems with it. And I pointed out that the anime original season of Slayers got plenty of flack over things.

Old 2013-03-26, 11:34   Link #147
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
>shatters like three layers of shields with his fists vs. NachtWall

What was that?
Kungfu's never about sheer strength. >_>
Old 2013-03-26, 12:49   Link #148
KuronaFanboy
Inactive Member

I never really got the gripe about StrikerS' cast being too big. At least I thought that Teana and Subaru were awesome, and Caro brought a new kind of magic into the picture altogether with summoning so it was nice. Erio was kind of out of the left field being a clone of a clone but I guess it gave Fate some depth seeing her take guardianship like that.

On the other hand I guess if you account for all the new side-characters, like Hayate's ship staff, the Device repair staff, corrupt government side-plots... yeah okay it got way too big way too fast.

But the main cast was okay! I mean, the four rookies and Vivio.

Just... write everyone else out. Keep the full cast from A's and add the four rookies + Vivio.
KuronaFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 13:08   Link #149
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuronaFanboy View Post
I never really got the gripe about StrikerS' cast being too big. At least I thought that Teana and Subaru were awesome, and Caro brought a new kind of magic into the picture altogether with summoning so it was nice. Erio was kind of out of the left field being a clone of a clone but I guess it gave Fate some depth seeing her take guardianship like that.

On the other hand I guess if you account for all the new side-characters, like Hayate's ship staff, the Device repair staff, corrupt government side-plots... yeah okay it got way too big way too fast.

But the main cast was okay! I mean, the four rookies and Vivio.

Just... write everyone else out. Keep the full cast from A's and add the four rookies + Vivio.
Agreed here.

Focus on the 4 new characters, Vivio and the antagonists more.

Would have loved more development for the Numbers in StrikerS and less fighting the Gadget Drones.

Old 2013-03-26, 14:19   Link #150
KuronaFanboy
Inactive Member

Oh, hey, if we're talking about original stories.

How's Nanoha Innocent? I've heard both good and bad things about the transition into a card-game alt-universe but I've yet to actually find the manga to give it a read.
Old 2013-03-26, 14:22   Link #151
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post

Keyword: Novels.
Old 2013-03-26, 15:09   Link #152
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Thinking back to the epilogue, it makes me think that they're not going to skip very far ahead. I believe Nanoha showing Arisa and Suzuka that she can use magic at the end of A's, is because they don't plan on discarding them in the sequel. And they had to of found out she used magic at some point.
Old 2013-03-26, 15:21   Link #153
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Probably Nanoha grabbing Arisa and making her fly and Arisa screaming: "PUT ME DOWN IT'S SO SCARY!!"

*evil smile* PUNISHMENT.
Old 2013-03-26, 15:39   Link #154
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

awwwe... punishment for what xD?

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 15:55   Link #155
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Punishment for the bullying. It's payback.
Old 2013-03-26, 15:59   Link #156
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuronaFanboy View Post
I never really got the gripe about StrikerS' cast being too big.

That's it exactly.

StrikerS is an action-genre series, focused around combat. If a character doesn't participate in combat or otherwise drive the plot, they really don't need a name, face or background.

Griffith, Lucino, Alto, Auris, and Nanoha's maid/nanny are completely extraneous and had no business getting ANY damned camera focus. They should never have been anywhere but the background, behind more interesting and important characters.

Shache and Verossa were unnecessary. The only important thing either of them did was take out one of the Numbers each, and the writers could have used Yuuno and Arf for that. Granted, Yuuno can't read minds with a touch, but that's a fucking bullshit cop-out of an unforeshadowed ability anyway. Deus Ex Machina.

Vice could get a pass, as he helps play a part in Teanna's character development, gets his own meaningful character arc, and participates in at least two important battles. If only he wasn't a helicopter pilot in a setting with teleportation technology and Yuuno, a man who can quickly teleport our heroes to any hotspot on the continent.

The Gadgets were also unnecessary. The writers should have introduced and used the Numbers from the beginning, using the Gadgets only as back-up to actual, interesting CHARACTERS.

But no one here would deny the Forwards their debut. We love the Forwards. Hell, a lot of us wanted MORE from Caro and Erio than we got!
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 16:18   Link #157
Funkatron
Highly irregular

If they do ever do StrikerS, I hope they pair down the number of Numbers. There were so many of them I didn't care about any of them.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 16:22   Link #158
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
That's it exactly.

StrikerS is an action-genre series, focused around combat. If a character doesn't participate in combat or otherwise drive the plot, they really don't need a name, face or background.

Griffith, Lucino, Alto, Auris, and Nanoha's maid/nanny are completely extraneous and had no business getting ANY damned camera focus. They should never have been anywhere but the background, behind more interesting and important characters.

Shache and Verossa were unnecessary. The only important thing either of them did was take out one of the Numbers each, and the writers could have used Yuuno and Arf for that. Granted, Yuuno can't read minds with a touch, but that's a fucking bullshit cop-out of an unforeshadowed ability anyway. Deus Ex Machina.

Vice could get a pass, as he helps play a part in Teanna's character development, gets his own meaningful character arc, and participates in at least two important battles. If only he wasn't a helicopter pilot in a setting with teleportation technology and Yuuno, a man who can quickly teleport our heroes to any hotspot on the continent.

The Gadgets were also unnecessary. The writers should have introduced and used the Numbers from the beginning, using the Gadgets only as back-up to actual, interesting CHARACTERS.

But no one here would deny the Forwards their debut. We love the Forwards. Hell, a lot of us wanted MORE from Caro and Erio than we got!
Well the only reason why there are many characters there is that they need to run the organization called: Hayate's Lesbian Army With Three New Guys Only [how many does it take to run an experimental organization with a military purpose anyway...]
Old 2013-03-26, 16:23   Link #159
KuronaFanboy
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
That's it exactly.

In all fairness, teleportation doesn't work in most hotspots because of wards/barriers, so I can see helicopters being used since they're presumably better armored than your average non-main character mage would be. Storm Raider as a helicopter/sniper Device was kind of interesting, even!

But yeah the rest of the side-cast felt completely pointless.

Here's hoping the third movie doesn't recreate this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
If they do ever do StrikerS, I hope they pair down the number of Numbers. There were so many of them I didn't care about any of them.
The only ones that matter are Nove, Cinque, Dieci and Wendi. AKA lead tsundere, ninja loli, rocket launcher sniper and genki groper. You know what I mean if you read the manga.

The others weren't really developed enough to care about, and some were just downright creepy. Like Uno, who is a female clone of Jail himself. And Quattro, when she grabs her stomach knowing she's pregnant. Actually just make that "Jail impregnating the Numbers was creepy in general".

Wonder how they got that out of their systems after the incident.

Maybe it wasn't literal pregnancy and some sort of backup data?

God I don't even want to think about it.
Old 2013-03-26, 16:26   Link #160
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
You be quiet about that!

If anything, give the Numbers expanded roles so you CAN care about them!