AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-17, 09:17   Link #61
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
I will watch the new movie perhaps. I am a bit unsure about it.
The last movies of HP were definitely not bad but I enjoyed the books much more than the movies.
And somehow, it isn't so much fun because you know before what will happen.
It doesn't make a great difference that they changed a few things of the book story.
Old 2009-07-17, 12:23   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Although I personally think Harry Potter took a major dive after the fourth book, I just think that it's impossible to properly adapt them for a single two hour film. So I agree with Vexx. I'm not really an intense fan of the series, but I do think there is something valuable in the (earlier, at least) books and that it's completely lost when translated to film. But even then, I don't think any director has ever really grasped the essence of the book or the characters. Ron and Dumbledore are two characters who have not had good treatment by filmmakers.
My interest is mostly that the Potter movie series is the only current instance available where magical combat is portrayed or taken somewhat seriously. And it appears they're addressing the speed at which such stuff would be likely to happen as well as the utter chaos.
Old 2009-07-17, 12:58   Link #63
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I just seen it today, it was awesome!!!

I do think its by far one of the best Harry films yet.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 12:59   Link #64
Raze
The psychotic one...

Send a message via MSN to Raze Send a message via Yahoo to Raze
I'm going to go and see it tomorrow. Hope it's good.
Raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 17:02   Link #65
james0246

Saw this film the other day. Despite it's many faults and problems, this is easily the best Potter film since Prisoner (which is still the best Harry Potter film (and book) in my opinion). The acting was very good (Michael Gambon finally is able to step into the role of Dumbledore; Alan Rickman is finally allowed to act, which is the first time that he has been able to breathe some life into the character of Snape since the first film); Jim Broadbent was sublime (then he usually is), and managed to turn an annoying and boring character from the books into an interesting even exciting character for the film; the three main leads finally seem to be comfortable in their roles (potentially since they now know how the series is going to end) and are allowed to explore their relationship together quite nicely); screenwriter Steve Kloves finally figured out how to adapt a Harry Potter book without simly making the film a collection of best moments from the books (something the 2nd, 5th, and especially the 4th films suffered from greatly); I especially liked the changes made to the various romantic relationships: no more does Ron start dating Lavendar because of a fight with hsi sister (which made no sense), and no longer does Harry suddenly throw himself at Ginny (for no real reason), istead the various progression of the relationships seem wholely organic; and finally, the direction by David Yates was fairly good, if a bit cumbersome at times (his use of colours, though, was quite beautiful at times, and greatly added detail to the various emotional scenes, etc).

There are, of course, problems. While it is nice to see new faces in the various houses, too many characters were excised from the story (Bill, Fleur, and Scrimgeour), and others make seemingly random apperances (most notably David Thewlis (Lupin) and Natalia Tena (Tonks) who randomly appear and are already in a relationship, despite no knowledge of a potential relationship from the last film or in this film) only to leave just as fast. Added to that, for a film entitled the Half-Blood Prince, the actual revelation of the identity of the Prince is very anti-climatic (To be fair, the book didn't do much of a better job with the revelation).

In the end, I would give this film a solid 7.5-7.7 out of 10. Good performances and interesting adaptation make up for a slightly loose story and sometimes weak direction.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 01:17   Link #66
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Just saw the movie.
Like the previous movies, the music and the special effects were well done. One good thing about the movie was the actor for Profesor Slughorn. He reminds me of those nerdy teachers from school who only speak to people they like (or top of the class). Also, the actor for little Tom Riddle should be in the next Omen movie. Has the "proper" but evil look. And I really like Helena Carter (Bellatrix). Gives off the aura of a sadistic person. Probably another reason I like her is because of Sweeny Todd =/

Horray, they added a quiddich match. Not the very best, but it was entertaining. Also, I'm satisfied they left the part in which Ron ends up eatting the chocolate full of love potion and the Weasly's joke shop. Also, the memory scenes were well done. They did not drag on and on, but short and informative. I also enjoyed what happened to that one girl after she touched the necklace.

However, the movie had a lot of faults. First off, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Weasly's house near other people's houses? Because in the movie as far as I saw it was pretty isolated. The title of the movie was "Half-Blood Prince", but only 2-3 refrences to it. Snapes "I am the half-blood prince" was pretty dull. As for the final cave scene, started off with a good foot, then became pretty shitty. Dumbledore all of a sudden started to feel better/did not even get to drink water. Lastly, no funeral for Dumbledore? Just a cheap "lets put our wands in the air". Too much stuff in the book to put in a movie =/

Character related, I was extremely disappointed. No Fleur? Tonks and Lupin just "there"? Nothing related to the ministry? Also, Luna's lion helm did not roar(insert sadface)For the character development, I was left even more disappointed. First off, Ron mentions that Ginny is dating Dean. Okay? But we find out nothing about the relationship (If I remember correctly, we do not even know when they break up). For Lavender's clingyness to Ron, it left me extremely confused. Firstly (since I read the book years ago), I believe they don't mention that her name is Lavender until after they break up. Strange. Then all of a sudden Ginny acts really close to Harry. Then later they kiss. Plus, Ron seemed extremely homosexual at some moments (espcially after taking in the love potion). Getting on the same bed of Harry? Hugging Slughorn?

Probably the second best movie though. *Hoping 7th movies will not disappoint. Two parts better equal extremely similar to the book.

tldr version: Movie was okay.
Rawgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 13:26   Link #67
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

I saw a midnight showing and it was good. I liked how they gave Dumbledore, Draco, Snape, and Ginny more screen time. The most outstanding performance I thought was Professor Slughorn. The only thing that had me dissapointed was the ending but I'm not going to give anything away.

Overall Rating: 4/5
PrincessFrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 09:19   Link #68
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

More Harry Potter ..
Did He Die ?
Old 2009-07-19, 10:28   Link #69
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
More Harry Potter ..
Did He Die ?
No not yet
I hope Draco never dies, he is fit!

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 11:53   Link #70
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

Just saw it again for a second time after the midnight premiere haha only because my mom still wanted to see it so I went with her.

Things I noticed the second time around (and the first):
Ron's dad while talking with Harry about Draco's intentions said Voldemort instead of He who must not be named just like that, at first I didn't notice it, but I did a double take, I remember a lot of times Mr. Weasley wouldn't say Voldemort, that was wierd.
The background music was nice, random, but I think I'll get the soundtrack
The scene in the cave with Harry and Dumbledore could of been longer, really it was just like zip and zap
The reveal of the HB Prince's identity was lack luster, and also felt random
The kiss scene was blah. I wish they kept it normal like the book, but whatever.

There was more that was a bit off but I can't remember right now. I still liked the movie though, I loved the funny parts and the sad, but heres towards the last two movies, hopefully they will do a good job on them!
Old 2009-07-20, 00:34   Link #71
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I saw the movie, I raged.

This movie is a further degeneration of Harry Potter. There was so much cut out that it was a joke. I don't even know how people who have not read the books can follow what is going on anymore.

My biggest beef with the movie is that this book is supposed to be centered on Voldemort and his history. Despite this, we were only shown two memories. What happened to all the other memories? They decided to include all of the teen drama scenes, and even added more that wasn't even there, instead of showing vital scenes in the story. The reason I found the 6th book so interesting was because of these memories. They could have cut out certain things that weren't supposed to be there like the Burrow getting attacked during Christmas.

Now there is nothing wrong with the teen drama. If anyone noticed while watching the movies, most of the audience most likely consisted of giggling girls. Hollywood is obviously playing towards a certain audience no?

Certain details were changed throughout the movie for no apparent reason. Why did Luna Lovegood pick up harry in the train instead of Tonks (The Order seems almost nonexistent). Why do the death eaters all of a sudden fly around the city (This was something special that only Voldemort could do)? Snape didn't confiscate the book after Sectumsempera like he did in the book and Harry had to go into the room of requirement again to hide it...

Snape as a character isn't developed at all. Ginny was thrown into the movie and instantly became a major character. Ughh.. I really could rage forever...

The last thing I didn't like is that the Yates treats his viewrs like 10 year old children. I don't need easybake thank you very much.

This was the worst Harry Potter movie, bar none. Fire Yates. I want my director from the third movie... No big wonder that Rowling herself said that of th emovies that was her favorite one. BAH!!
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 02:44   Link #72
james0246

^More than anything, though, I see this film as being almost entirely a set-up for the next 2 films. Consequently, the focus on romance and regular boarding school life will be heavily contrasted by the importance of Voldemort's coup in the next film, and the eventual rebellion in the final film. So, quite literally, this is Harry's swan song for his innocence, before he takes the plunge into the darkness of a world without Dumbledore. (This is not to say that the film is without fault, and affter seeing it a second time, I am forced to lower my initial grade down to a 7.0 - 7.2 on a 10.0 scale.)

That being said, yes Alfonso Cuarón's Azkaban is still unequivocally the best Harry Potter film, and I would have delighted to see how Cuarón could have shaped The Half-Blood Prince.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-07-20 at 03:27.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 03:07   Link #73
Clarste
Human

It's been a while since I read the books, so watching this wasn't so bad. I had no expectations because I pretty much forgot what was supposed to happen until it happened in the movie. That said, it was the usual confusing sequence of scenes that never stops to explain anything other than the absolute key points of the plot. Sometimes I wonder how people who haven't read the books follow these movies at all. For one thing, they never bother to name half the characters. That's all pretty much par for the course with Harry Potter movies though.

The only real issue I have with this movie in particular is how they handled the titular Half Blood Prince. I guess I can understand that it wasn't important to the central mystery of the plot (which was the horcruxes), but the way they did it made it practically incomprehensible. Not nearly enough time was spent speculating on the book, or making it clear how harmful it might be. Heck, they could've used Ginny talking to Harry about her past with evil books (reference to second movie/book, for those who forgot) as a way to bond them romantically, which was clearly half the point of the movie. Anyway, they didn't even make it clear how Snape knew that Harry knew about the Half Blood Prince. When they made the "shocking" revelation, I was thinking "Huh? How did Snape know about that?" instead of "Oh my god! It was Snape!" which I assume they were shooting for.

Anyway, that brings me to another point. Hermione sucks. This isn't really an issue with the movie per se so much as a general theme in the series. Hermione's supposed to be the genius witch of their generation. Okay, sounds great, except... Snape was inventing spells and correcting recipes when he was her age! And Lily was the genius of his generation. Snape is awesome! But they never seem to treat him as exceptional, not even in the "what a nerd" sense. From which I can only conclude that Hermione is pretty much average and everyone else in their generation is a dropout.

Last edited by Clarste; 2009-07-20 at 05:50.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 04:13   Link #74
White Lady
Dryad of death

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning
Send a message via Yahoo to White Lady
I am pretty much over Harry Potter.Since I have read all the books ..The movies won't be much entertainment.
White Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 11:51   Link #75
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I don't even know how people who have not read the books can follow what is going on anymore.
I wholeheartedly agree with that. I kinda liked the movie but I'm starting to think that the director just assumed that everyone knows the history already and doesn't give a damn about.

Quote:
Why do the death eaters all of a sudden fly around the city (This was something special that only Voldemort could do)?
that's just to look cool. They were already doing in the fifth movie.

The worse was the lack of Voldemort scenes.
Ok, Hermione is jealous of Ron. We get it!
Now, could you please move to try to make the crowd think that Voldemort is the Half-blood prince since his father was a normal human.
I can understand cutting scenes like Voldemort talking with Dumbledore but leaving Voldemort's parents out of the movie was too much.
Old 2009-07-20, 13:20   Link #76
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Anyway, that brings me to another point. Hermione sucks. This isn't really an issue with the movie per se so much as a general theme in the series. Hermione's supposed to be the genius witch of their generation. Okay, sounds great, except... Snape was inventing spells and correcting recipes when he was her age! And Lily was the genius of his generation. Snape is awesome! But they never seem to treat him as exceptional, not even in the "what a nerd" sense. From which I can only conclude that Hermione is pretty much average and everyone else in their generation is a dropout.
Snape was in the same generation as James Potter. That's why, even in the books, he's generally underrated.

Spoiler for 7th book:
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 14:39   Link #77
Theowne
耳をすませば

Saw the movie. Meh. The book itself is the weakest, in my opinion, but the movie was not as bad as it could have been. The ending was decent, nothing exceptional. The whole Half-Blood Prince storyline was somewhat pointless in the book and it doesn't get much better in the movie. There's a big revelation at the end but it serves no other purpose except as a reference to the title. Too much teen drama. I knew that Harry Potter would not be a "classic" like many others by the kind of teen drama in the sixth books. Yes, teenagers go through stages and it's realistic for normal teenagers....except that these are not normal teenagers, they've witnessed death and destruction and fought evil and been afraid for their lives....THe movie could have fixed this by using its limited time on the core elements of the plot but instead there was too much fluff. We hardly get the proper impact of Voldemort's memories/Horcrux searching, Draco's deterioration, or the Snape-textbook thing. Also the movies are too thin for any meaningful storytelling because there isn't enough time for convincing character development. Thus, the Ginny Harry, Ron Hermione bits all feel thin. Well, personally I always felt that having Ginny be a love interest was not a great idea. The story is about the trio, it should have stayed that way. Introducing a new member to the core characters feels forced.

End of rant.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 17:33   Link #78
Lil' Wayne

I've been raging about "die hard fan's" responses to this movie.

The film's intention was to tell the same story as the book. Just because "TEH SCENE WHERE HARRY AND RON GO TO LAKE LOL OMG" isn't there doesn't mean that the movie doesn't do the film justice. In fact, the only thing that was noticeable was the lack of cool battle when Dumbledore dies.

I mean, 60% of the books are filler. Yates doesn't have all the time in the world. Not only that, but the books aren't exactly greatly written and can't really be called literature so I don't know what everyone's problem with "justification" is.

Of course, that doesn't mean I loved everything. Yates went overboard with the "Hermione being jealous" concept. But the thing is, after the books had ended Harry Potter has been a consistently dying franchise and marketers are making the writers do whatever they can to make these films relate to youth as much as humanly possible to reel in new fans or even keep old fans from losing grip on the franchise.

What J.K. Rowling needs to do is admit that she wants money far more than she wants to be identified as a brilliant author and write Harry Potter and the Curse of the Tiger League where evil ninja wizards break into Harry's house and Harry Potter and the guy from Die Hard have to kill all of them.

Last edited by Lil' Wayne; 2009-07-20 at 22:32.
Lil' Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 17:45   Link #79
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
The film's intention was to tell the same story as the book. Just because "TEH SCENE WHERE HARRY AND RON GO TO LAKE LOL OMG" isn't there doesn't mean that the movie doesn't do the film justice. In fact, the only thing that was noticeable was the lack of cool battle when Dumbledore dies.
Well, that's kind of a simplification. I would say people are upset because some significant parts of the book were simplified while the useless parts were kept in or magnified. I mean, the entire Half-Blood Prince thing was hardly noticeable except as a brief reference to the title.

It's kind of like Prisoner of Azkaban's film. It was good, but it left off what was for most people the best part of the whole thing, the story of Harry's father and his friends and what they did as the Mauraders.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 09:32   Link #80
MisterJB
Warden of the West

The movie could be called "Harry Potter and the Jealousy of Hermione."

The Goblet of Fire it's still the best movie IMO.