AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-19, 04:20   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Valvrave the Liberator - Character Discussion - L-Elf

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things L-Elf related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Valvrave the Liberator fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-05-19, 22:36   Link #2
Irenesharda

So, as to our Dorssian teen soldier extraordinaire, we can guess the "one-man army" has had a harsh and tragic past and yet he still has loyalty to Dorssia (the country, if not the politics). So who has any guesses as to his past or what makes him tick?

We can see that he has deep issues with the world "half". How does anyone think that fits into his background?

And who is Liselotte? Is she alive or dead?

Let's get this discussion started!

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-19, 22:52   Link #3
~BC~

What do you think about the possibility that L-Elf isn't completely human? I think they've already dropped hints that there is an alien race involved with the Valvraves creation and even possibly Dorssia's advanced weapons technology.
Old 2013-05-19, 23:18   Link #4
Irenesharda

I don't know, it's possible, but L-elf seemed quite surprised at the results of someone becoming a Valvrave pilot. He looks like he's feeling his way out here just as everyone else is. He just seems capable of doing it faster than others his age.

For instance Haruto seems be trying to forget it even really happened. Saki is basking in it. L-elf and the physicist doctor seem to be the only ones actually asking questions and trying to figure things out. This would indicate that he didn't know much about the Valvraves in the beginning, just a general knowledge.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-19, 23:48   Link #5
~BC~

This is why I'm kind of 50/50 on whether or not he'll pilot a Valvrave. L-Elf strikes me as someone who'd be immediately suspicious of the resigning humanity question; his first instinct being "What's the catch?". Then again his description does say he'd "do anything to win".

On the alien angle, aside from the technology there's this thing with the ears of certain Dorssian characters. Namely the blue-haired man giving the speech in ep. 5, Cain, Kriemhild, and I even thought I detected the same with the pink-haired princess in the OP. I noticed it before when the website put the character profiles up but wrote if off as a quirk of the art style. Now, I'm not so sure after seeing the general.

On Liselotte, I've seen people speculate that it's the pink-haired girl from the OP; partly because it's suppose to be a girl's name in German. However, something about the context in which L-Elf mentions the name makes me think that something happened to this Liselotte character. Like he/she had a clash of ideals with L-Elf and that because they insisted on avoiding conflict they ended up dead for it. The flashback A-Drei has in the latest episode makes me further suspect this. He and L-Elf, in their uniforms pointing guns at each other, makes me think the Karlstein institute has some twisted ritual where comrades are tested to see how far they'd go in following orders.
Old 2013-05-20, 03:12   Link #6
ReddyRedWolf

All I can say is that despite his rep he has bad social skills and has OCD.
Old 2013-05-20, 12:05   Link #7
Irenesharda

Actually, it's because of his rep that you would expect him to have bad social skills and a constant need for organization. He has obviously been trained for a long time and has a genius level intelligence.

Many characters in media and real life who are on that level of intelligence are usually not very good in the social department since they are often on a completely different level of thinking when interacting with other.

And while he may have some OCD, I think he mostly hatches his plans through the same tools that someone like Sherlock Holmes would: using both very keen abductive and deductive reasoning. He seems to use all to observations that he notes around him, and can make a very accurate hypothesis based on that information. And that's why he is rarely wrong.

The only thing he can't predict/deduce is human behavior without having observed that human before, such as in Shoko's case. Or when there are complete aberrations such as with Haruto becoming a space vampire.
Old 2013-05-20, 15:04   Link #8
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

He's pretty badass as a soldier, but his personality implies it may open for grand character development despite his rivalry with Haruto as well his dark past connected to Dorssia. He's very lonely indeed, he doesn't even care about any of his friends either way.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-05-21, 20:41   Link #9
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

A question that I can see with his character is that if he's already got his plan in motion and manipulating Haruto and the others from behind the scenes then how is it gonna go bad? Will it end up getting some of the students killed? And how will it come back to bite him in the ass. Even Lelouch could only play the game so well.
Old 2013-05-21, 23:07   Link #10
Irenesharda

I have no doubt that some of the students are going to be cannon fodder. There are just too many of them that have no purpose, for some of them NOT to die. I don't think he will specifically put that in his plan, but I don't think he cares if there is collateral damage. "Needs of the many" vs. "needs of the few" and all.

We really need to know more about what his plan is, before we know all the ways it can fail. Though I am sure he has thought of that too. In a way his army experience and brutality set him apart from Lelouch (at least in the early days), because he understands war as more than just chess, he knows the cost and the chance and he's willing to take it.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-23, 12:36   Link #11
chi4ko
Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
He's very lonely indeed, he doesn't even care about any of his friends either way.
Do you think he has any 'friends'? (Apart from A-Drei maybe) Nobody really agonised over L-Elf's betrayal apart from A-Drei. Q-Vier was even happy that he got a chance to fight him!
Old 2013-05-23, 13:45   Link #12
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi4ko View Post
Do you think he has any 'friends'? (Apart from A-Drei maybe) Nobody really agonised over L-Elf's betrayal apart from A-Drei. Q-Vier was even happy that he got a chance to fight him!
From my experience with the character, L-Elf isn't much interested about caring his own teammates besides probably A-Drei, and when the betrayal happened between them, it doesn't change the fact that the only thing L-Elf seems to have his important spot was his own revenge that was pretty obvious (at least for me) in the previous few episodes.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-05-23, 22:43   Link #13
Irenesharda

Seeing Episode 7, we get to see some new things regarding L-11. He really cares for the girl in that picture. In fact, if we hadn't already seen the Dorssian princess, I would think she was dead the way he wept over her. the name "Licht" is written on the back, but is that the Princess' name or L-11's real name? Also the way he was crying over her, I'm going to guess she's his sister.

As to him and A-drei. I'm beginning to wonder if A-3 had his own idea of rebellion since he seems to be wanting to take over and have L-11 as his right hand. He seems to be a low-ranked prince, which would make him the princess's brother. Are he, her, and L-elf all related in some way?

I wouldn't put it past the writers, especially since we have the writer of Geass working on this.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-23, 22:50   Link #14
Destined_Fate

The Princess most likely still alive as the images we have seen of her are much older than that picture.
Old 2013-05-24, 09:15   Link #15
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Repost a speculation I have on how L-Elf seem to keep Audrey at arm's length:

Quote:
L-Elf is a smart guy. He can tell when Audrey is being trustworthy. L-Elf is also finding it difficult to make friends because of his personality. Why would L-Elf not just accept Audrey's friendship?

I only see two serious explanations:
1. L-Elf plans to seriously harm the royal family in some way, and he doesn't want Audrey to go down in flames with him.
2. L-Elf somehow promised the Princess of Light that he would keep Audrey out of trouble. This is a popular plot device in story telling; that L-Elf had made a promise, and as such he can't take up Audrey's invitation in fear of breaking that promise.

L-Elf isn't evil. He just is very emotionally backward. I just think there had to be something specific that made Audrey unable to get close to him.
Old 2013-05-24, 09:30   Link #16
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Well, L-11 seems to be trying to keep his other comrades from harm as well: he told Haruto the goal is not to destroy the Boomerang unit but disable it (although strategically it would be better to kill the elite soldier).
Old 2013-05-24, 09:42   Link #17
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
Well, L-11 seems to be trying to keep his other comrades from harm as well: he told Haruto the goal is not to destroy the Boomerang unit but disable it (although strategically it would be better to kill the elite soldier).
I also believe during the standoff, he was probably skilled enough to kill Audrey outright. He is a super-soldier; having a gun pointed at him is not a problem. So the fact that Audrey walked away from it all unscathed implies that L-Elf wanted him spared.
Old 2013-05-24, 10:38   Link #18
Irenesharda

The way L-11 reacted to the picture of the princess, I'd say she's more than a friend, but she would have been too young to be a love interest, so I'm sticking with sibling. However, if A-drei is a prince, then he and the princess would have to be related. That would make A-3, L-11, and "Licht" all siblings to some degree.

What if L-11 is the illegitimate/half-sibling that A-3 doesn't know about? I can see L-11 not wanting his half-brother involved, especially if A-3 is especially close to Licht.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-24, 10:57   Link #19
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
The way L-11 reacted to the picture of the princess, I'd say she's more than a friend, but she would have been too young to be a love interest, so I'm sticking with sibling. However, if A-drei is a prince, then he and the princess would have to be related. That would make A-3, L-11, and "Licht" all siblings to some degree.

What if L-11 is the illegitimate/half-sibling that A-3 doesn't know about? I can see L-11 not wanting his half-brother involved, especially if A-3 is especially close to Licht.
I'm leaning L-Elf being more of a Liselotte's friend than anything else, but I could also think he may happen to be a cousin to her and A-Drei, perhaps?
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-05-24, 16:16   Link #20
queenSwild

I also think that the princess is L-Elf's friend rather then sibling. This is mostly because Licht is referred to as the "Princess of Light" while L-Elf is referred to as a prince's "right hand." There is too much of a difference in their statuses. Unless it is suddenly revealed that L-Elf is her father's illegitimate child, I think that there is a better chance of A-Drei and Licht being related since A-Drei is actually a prince.

Anyone else think that because of Aina's death the school will lean more in favor of L-Elf and his plans? Haruto realized this episode how indestructible they'd be if they worked together. Kyuuma would gladly work with him in order to get revenge for Aina. The same goes for Saki too. The only problem I can see is Shoko, but even she looks weak in the previews.

Last edited by queenSwild; 2013-05-24 at 17:45.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters