AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-05-31, 09:00   Link #21
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Chrono Cross? Good? *pukes in mouth* that game sullies the genius that was Chrono Trigger, I refuse to accept that *censorship for the good of the children* as a sequel of any kind.

Anyway, that aside...

I suggest Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube, for two reasons alone... Presea and Sheena <3

Odins Sphere is also great, I love the story and characters of this game.

Mana Khemia is good too, I rather enjoy the humor in the game. especially Anna's scenes

Persona 3 FES is also good. Although, the ending left a bitter taste in my mouth... you might like it though.

I generally hate all things Final Fantasy after FF6, well I like 7 sorta, so.. I won't make any comments about it.

Suikoden 2... if you're willing to dish out 250 - 600 bucks for it... lol. I found a mint condition unopened Suikoden 2 for 600 dollars. I picked mine up when it first released on a whim... I just thought the cover was cool and bought it, best decision I ever made.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 09:07   Link #22
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Chrono Cross? Good? *pukes in mouth* that game sullies the genius that was Chrono Trigger, I refuse to accept that *censorship for the good of the children* as a sequel of any kind.
Well, it's your problem for expecting a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 09:43   Link #23
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Well, it's your problem for expecting a sequel to Chrono Trigger.
Wait... its my fault for expecting a sequel to be a sequel?
Old 2008-05-31, 09:50   Link #24
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, yeah. I loved Chrono Trigger in its time and all, but Chrono Cross stands by itself, and the final link between those two (only if you played the game long enough) helped make it great, but it wasn't the strongest point. The good points of CC were found in many different areas, such as character development, the impressive storyline, one of the most innovative "traditional" battle systems I've seen... There are too many good points to count.

Yeah, Chrono Cross is a sequel to Chrono Trigger (more like a possibility of a continuation, or a spinoff), but it's not done in the traditional sense. Which is one of the reasons why I loved it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 10:49   Link #25
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I'll leave the Chrono discussion alone, as I haven't played either, but Ar tonelico (3) and Persona 3 (4) have the most recommendations for now, so those are something I'll look for.

Added a list on the front page. Again, thanks for the recommendations.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 11:12   Link #26
nines
I much prefer the 2d

If you like gundam games i recommend MS saga its a mini gundam game you can change parts off your suit and make it look like anything you want theirs a crud load of gundams you can get also...For ps2
Old 2008-05-31, 11:51   Link #27
alamarco
Why hello there!

I say Kingdom Hearts. I haven't played Kingdom Hearts 2 yet, but Kingdom Hearts one was pretty good. The story was alright, but it was a tad kiddish. The battle system was really addicting. It wasn't the classic turn based. It was real time and nothing like the fake real time of FFXII.
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 02:48   Link #28
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

We seem to have similar tastes. You have to get Final Fantasy X and VIII both are romance focused if you like that definitly get those. Final Fantasy 9 has that magical feeling which makes it nice. Final fantasy 7 was comes after those. They are cheap as hell anyhow. The 2d final fantasy's weren't that good. If you go for 2d go for chrono trigger.

Dragon Quest 8 is a rival to the final fantasy games. It has an anime style. While I am not a fan of toriyama's design this one just looked so nice.

If you are looking for story Persona 3 is not the way to go honestly. While not bad by all means. The story is not compelling maybe, people think so because they haven't played good rpg's in a while. While the smooth battles are nice. Persona 3 does fall behind the final fantasy's in terms of graphics, sound and story telling. Persona's saving grace is that the game actually feels interactive. Recommending persona 3 over FFX is a joke though. >_>

Oh yeah before I forget. Xenogears is a gem. While the gameplay wasn't really my taste. You do get sucked in to play that game and it is anime styled.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 08:28   Link #29
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Tales of Symphonia >>>>> All, PERIOD.
Old 2008-06-02, 08:44   Link #30
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I'd have to recommend Star Ocean 2 and Star Ocean 3. Both great games, though I'm a huge fan so my opinion is obviously heavily biased. Tales of the Abyss was good, I would have enjoyed it more than Symphonia if not for Luke... I'd also recommend Grandia 1 and 2. Extreme and 3 weren't as good, but if you like the first two they're still worth a play.
Old 2008-06-02, 10:54   Link #31
Sciel
Etoilé

Tales of the Abyss (Great Game)
Ar Tonelico
Suikoden V (Graphics are sort of meh tho)
Persona 3 : Fes

As for Star Ocean 3 . I've had it for over a year and never bothered to play it . I rececntly started and the games feels sorta like this

Go to a town -> OMG DIS GUY NEEDS DA HELPZ! -> Get the item / save the person and repeat this >_>;
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 07:33   Link #32
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
I'd also recommend Grandia 1 and 2.
If you want to play Grandia II, get the Dreamcast version. All the ports have non-trivial issues like magic sequences getting burned on the screen, freezes, etc.
Old 2008-06-03, 17:36   Link #33
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
Some of my suggestions:

Breath of Fire 3/4/5 (3 and 4 are great. 5 depends if you like dungeon crawlers, but it's my personal favorite.)
Star Ocean 2/3
Koudelka (It's a short game but great nonetheless. The battles are strategy based, but fairly short anyway.)
Shadow Hearts 1/2 (Successor/sequel to Koudelka with a turned based battle system. Shadow Hearts 3 doesn't compare to these two)
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Xenosaga (I'd play all three for story purposes even though Ep.3 has the best gameplay)
Suikoden 5 (best one besides 2)
Dark Cloud 2
Rogue Galaxy

Last edited by Tornix; 2008-06-04 at 02:00.
Tornix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 18:08   Link #34
u43368
Disabled By Request

Seconding ToL, ToA, the Shadow Hearts games, Suikoden V, and DDS.

The Shadow Hearts games have become more animu styled over the years, but since you said you liked that I'd say it's a good reccomedation. I wish for another game like Koudelka...

Also, I reccomend the original Persona trilogy. The original Persona games had a good mix between story and characters, my favorite being Eternal Punishment because it's cast is full of mature adults, for once. (Persona 3 then did a 180.)
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 01:05   Link #35
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

In terms of PSX games, I do find Chrono Cross to be er... less than stellar. It's not exactly because it's so different from Chrono Trigger (otherwise, I would've hated Person 3 since the departure from Persona 2 is bigger than CC's departure from CT). I dunno, with CC following the same trend of a large cast of characters with only a few that's actually important to the plot, on the whole I think Suikoden II is the better game in terms of story, character development, and even the battle system (SII proved to me that sometimes, simpler is actually better).

Best PSX game personally? Tactics Ogre, though technically that's an SNES game. So if that doesn't count, then the Persona series by far and away. I find Xenogears to be a distant second, mainly because the second disk was utter garbage compared to the masterpiece that was the first disc.

Of course, Breath of Fire IV holds a very special place in my heart, as it's the only game in the series where the RyuuXNina pairing is overt.

And which reminds me, I gotta replay Star Ocean 2. Me being a guy, I started with Claude. Then I only learned later (like I dunno, 30 hours in?) that I can't get Dias, of then I went WTF since I can't pair Rena up with her osana-najimi.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 04:42   Link #36
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Suikoden 2 is orgasmic, lol, if you can find a copy it'll cost you a couple hundred bucks. I was fortunate to get my copy when it first came out.
Old 2008-06-04, 09:28   Link #37
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

A couple hundred bucks hey? Glances over at his copy...

Nah.
Old 2008-06-04, 23:29   Link #38
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Suikoden 2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Suikoden-2-II-Pl...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 2008-06-05, 02:25   Link #39
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
As much as I love Suikoden 2, Suikoden 5 is a great alternative if you wanna save some cash.
Old 2008-06-05, 12:56   Link #40
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Theres an import game store, near my house in china town, that has an unopen copy of Suikoden 2 for 350 bucks... yeah its expensive...

Is suikoden 5 that good? I gave up on the suikoden series due to the fact that I wanted to kill myself from playing suikoden 4... 3 was decent at best, but 4 butchered it, and the spin off suikoden tactics was appalling... ugh.. I didn't even wanna play 5 because of the jaded experience.