AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 12 [FINALE] Rating
Perfect 10 80 41.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 26.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 11.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.51%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.05%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.51%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-21, 10:46   Link #281
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
I suggest refrain from using it.
I'm sure you're right. It's all been said, no doubt. I wasn't here, I just stopped by to see the ending.

Again, if I've moved anyone to righteous indignation, please ignore my rant and carry on. DBob out.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-06-21 at 11:11.
Old 2009-06-21, 10:50   Link #282
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
I'm not the one who's gonna counter, but that argument takes an awful lot of water so I suggest refrain from using it. If everyone who is critical of a series left the premises each time because everyone else told them to, it'll just become another one of those certain subboards which are filled with -tards of many kinds mainly because no one can say anything without invoking nerdrage.

Also, remember that the hype is annoying for a number of people, and K-ON was indeed overhyped, so, if you don't mind the hype, you'll just have to accept the other side, too. You know, as long as people don't say something utterly stupid, like "what a crappy episode, Karin was inside and then went outside, lame", it's generally ok.
Now this is where I differ. If it's the same people doing this consistently for the entire series, then their moving on is best for the threads imo. It prevents positive discussion and mirs the threads into defensive mode.

If it's a spotty thing then it's okay.

Nobody really wants to use the "pest begone" option.
Old 2009-06-21, 11:22   Link #283
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Three times in a row? Is this a new record for a K-ON! episode discussion topic?

Anyways, they could have at least used the full version of Fuwa Fuwa Time for the grand finale. I'm a little sad that we never got a full concert, but just a few snippets. Alas, just a minor nitpick, at least they're forcing me to anticipate the full releases.
Old 2009-06-21, 11:22   Link #284
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

I liked this eps. A very nice wraparound of everything we've seen during the whole series... A little moe, some dressing up, Yui realizing she'd actually begun to DO something with her life and that she'd gained motivation in the process, so character development, check! And at the end, some lovey, lovey bonding over music! Good show in my opinion!

Given that I enjoyed this series as a whole, I really don't see the problem with the kvetching about this series on this board. It has been clear to me all along that the members who have complained have complained about things in a consistent manner. They simply wanted more form this series than it was able or willing to deliver, but they seemed to like it enough to keep watching, so they didn't HATE the series... Many have even stated this directly.

K-on was a delightful fluffy confection of a show, much like the tea cakes the girls consumed each day. The statement constantly made by characters in the show of "You can't just use this room for Tea and Cakes!" was exactly what the critical fans on this board were saying. I think that was part of the point. Taken in context of the phrase "Don't say Lazy, you are crazy!" and the lyrics in Cagayake Girls, the director was telling you everything you needed to know about what this show was about.

Sure there was MUCH MUCH more that COULD have been done in this series, and stonger themes might have been expressed, but there you have it. This WASN'T that stronger, more musical show. That doesn't mean therre is something wrong with the critical member's opinions. These criticisms were correct, BUT they were criticisms in the end that were directed at something that wasn't going to be something else from what it was. Its like sitting in a Zen rock garden and complaining because you though it was an English Rose garden. It doesn't mean you didn't enjoy anything about the plants!

Old 2009-06-21, 16:54   Link #285
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Now this is where I differ. If it's the same people doing this consistently for the entire series, then their moving on is best for the threads imo. It prevents positive discussion and mirs the threads into defensive mode.

If it's a spotty thing then it's okay.

Nobody really wants to use the "pest begone" option.
If it's a discussion then it's a discussion, I think the majority of us have handled the weekly K-On threads pretty well, even if we end up with this type of debate recirculating.

It's better then how the Shana S2 / Toradora threads ended up, thanks to you a few people who won't be named.

Also, this series has the most hilarious h-doji ever.

Recreating the second concert bit where Mio falls over for panty shot baring, only to have four to six rush the stage and snogg the living moe fluff out of her (and have her band desert her during the entire thing) is nothing short of funny and hot at the same time.

THANKS MIO~

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-06-21, 19:21   Link #286
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Ignoring what this series could've been and what it actually is as a whole it's actually fitting for an ending with one problem...it didn't feel like an ending for me personally. Just not enough closure.

Now I'm also among the criticizers of this series and I agree the performance left much to be desired (especially since we're talking about the season finale here) but it was still a nice treat for me since I really didn't know what to expect out of it. What I thought was the most likely scenario to happen during that part (4koma readers should know what I'm talking about here) was worse than what I got from this episode so I was left oddly satisfied here.

Btw getting teary eyed over a missing band member is nothing to frown about (and I'm sure Led Zeppelin would agree with me on that too ). Many bands can't perform at the same level without everyone there and present. Consider the way Asuza acts there as weak-willed or however way you wish to view it as, fact is it's not uncommon for band members to feel unconfident and edgy when faced with a situation where a band member is missing and might not be present at their next live performance.

Last edited by Karlson; 2009-06-22 at 00:48.
Old 2009-06-21, 20:59   Link #287
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The final performance is the best they done and was almost as awesome as God Knows and I did like Yui's singing... also Ui's impersonation of her sister and Nanako telling about Yui's eccentric childhood behavior which cracked me up... Although I thought that the cosplaying scene was not necessary and the slow start... Dispite that, they done a great job on the final episode and it was decent... but the small flaws kept me from giving a 10/10.

Rating: 9.4/10 -> 9/10

Full Episode 12 Reaction
Old 2009-06-21, 21:13   Link #288
Justin Kim
*Artist

NOOOO FINAL EPISODE! T_T. K-ON needs 24 EPISODE PLEASE. Such a great series . Gotta love all the characters cuteness.
Old 2009-06-21, 23:39   Link #289
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

I think K-On! should come up with something like Macross Flash Back 2012, a music video OVA where we could hear the complete songs and gawk at well-animated instrument playing or scenes after scenes of moe.
Old 2009-06-22, 00:06   Link #290
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well you make it sound logical, but then I thought to myself....

Yeah, as the saying goes... "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Yes, you can look at it this way.

But then what determines greatness? When someone comes up to me and gives me a movie saying "It's a great American classic!" What does that actually mean? Because with your logic, we could consider just about anything to be great.
Ahh... I see, well, I consider "greatness" as you are using it to be different from enjoyable.

I enjoyed K-On alot, but I would not label it a "great" (classic) anime. Why? Because it's Light and Fluffy. There is little depth to it- that's okay by me because not every show has to be deep. So I might call it great- but in the sense that it is enjoyable fluff. I would not label it as an anime that people will still value 20 years from now. Similarly Lucky Star is a great anime in the sense that it is a lot of fun, and t might reach the level of "cult classic" but it won't be a true classic 20 years from now- if only because the target audience is to narrow.

Compare this to certain anime classics like: Starblazers, or Maison Ikkoku or Fullmetal Alchemist. Those shows have a depth and greatness to them that can transcend things like animation styles or changes in culture. Maison Ikkoku is so 1980s to anyone who lived through it, but you don't have to remember the 80s to experience the meaningful development of romance.

Some "great" shows I don't even enjoy.

Take the play Hamlet. I recognize the depth and greatness of the material- but truthfully I just don't enjoy the story. So while I've read the play, and occasionally gone to see it, I did so because the greatness of the material made me feel it was worth seeing even though it's not my kind of story.

So I guess what I would say on the topic of K-On is that sure, if you wanted a more music focused anime then you are going to be a little disappointed. Same if you wanted drama.

But I don't feel the need to defend K-On as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I enjoyed it. I think the hype is over done and it makes me roll my eyes sometimes- but whatever. I'll enjoy it- why? Because I've had friends in a band, and they acted similar. I have a cousin who plays the bass, and she sure enjoys K-On because she she so many common things from her life in it.

If you don't enjoy it, I guess you are free to explain why, but I would suggest avoiding debates over it because what is the point? There's nothing wrong with loving or hating K-On. I guess I just don't see much point in trying to convince people that they should like or dislike an anime like this.

If I talk about it with someone I just say that I like it and explain why, and if my friend says they don't like that then I just say okay, and suggest a different genre of anime for them to watch. (Compared to say one of the classic anime I mentioned earlier, which I might push a bit harder because I think the "greatness will win them over, even if it's not their normal cup of tea).
Old 2009-06-22, 00:28   Link #291
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Oh, I found the place now. It is Azusa-nigou, "Mistress Azusa". The subber took it as Azusa #2, as in 2nd, behind the wife. The song you mention must be the reference.
Azusa #2 is fine, actually, since there's a song by that name (as well? I don't know which one you're talking about).

http://www.wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Azusa_Nigou
Old 2009-06-22, 01:59   Link #292
kim8268

well simply saying to my previous post I mean't some of us In one point in our lives think that we are going to grow up doing nothing and a sudden opportunity come in our path that make us change our lives to what are we now
I not saying that the anime is saying that we are lazy back then, I meant that If sometimes, we think back then, and say to our former self that "you dont have to worry, you will find something that you can do"
As I said not many or maybe few experience this kind of expirience but I think this anime Is telling us or maybe some of us that feeling kind of down in thier lives, that think positive ,Set your mind to 1 thing and go all out in finishing it before doing something else, dont let the idea rot, like saying, tommorow i'll do it
Well for others try to step in thier shues and mind and think about It(I mean yui's life before the club)
Old 2009-06-22, 11:50   Link #293
Dop
Mmmm....

Basically, the series summed itself up. "Fuwa fuwa time".
That's what K-On was from beginning to end, fluffy.
Not groundbreaking, not dramatic, not 'Teh Best Show Evar!!' or 'Worst. Episode. Ever', but 20odd minutes a week of fluffy fluffy time.
I liked it. I thought it was entertaining fluff. and 13 episodes of fluffy fluffy time was just about the right amount.

Oh yeah. Was I the only one expecting it to start raining just before the concert? It wouldn't have surprised me one bit.
Old 2009-06-22, 17:28   Link #294
Willow

Spoiler:

Ah I see.
Meh, whatever.

I'd argue back but its not really worth my time.
Anyhow, I was also expecting them to perform Cagayake! Girls but Brush and Ballpoint Pen wasn't bad either.

Also, Yui's statement "This is our Budokan!" at this ep. might be a hint from KyoAni that there'll be no season 2.
Old 2009-06-22, 18:11   Link #295
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Honestly, Budokan never really did seem like a realistic goal the club wanted to achieve in the first place. I don't think we can use that as an indicator to guarantee that there will be no second season.
Old 2009-06-22, 18:41   Link #296
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Erm. Isn't it obvious there will be no second season, when there is no manga either ? Unless KyoAni is gonna make another season which isn't based on anything, but I highly doubt that. This probably was the end of K-On, sadly. Though the series wasn't THAT incredible, now what's gonna give my weekly set of moe if not K-On..
Old 2009-06-22, 18:45   Link #297
Willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Erm. Isn't it obvious there will be no second season, when there is no manga either ?
The manga's still on-going isn't it?
Old 2009-06-22, 18:58   Link #298
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
The manga's still on-going isn't it?
Yeah, the manga is still on going... and considering it being a 4koma, it could go on for a good long while. If we ever do see a second season of K-ON! though, it won't be for a good long while.
Old 2009-06-22, 19:05   Link #299
Willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
Yeah, the manga is still on going... and considering it being a 4koma, it could go on for a good long while. If we ever do see a second season of K-ON! though, it won't be for a good long while.
Yup!

And considering that Kakifly releases it slowly..

._.
Old 2009-06-22, 21:21   Link #300
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Erm. Isn't it obvious there will be no second season, when there is no manga either ? Unless KyoAni is gonna make another season which isn't based on anything, but I highly doubt that. This probably was the end of K-On, sadly. Though the series wasn't THAT incredible, now what's gonna give my weekly set of moe if not K-On..
You could try asking for help in finding something with the suggestion sub-forum.
Closed Thread