AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 40 40.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 38.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 15.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 7.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-06, 19:48   Link #61
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
that was awesome, we're finally reaching the climax
Old 2012-12-06, 19:49   Link #62
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

No one has mention it but I feel cheated, I really want to see the fight Dekomri and Shinka as the Tyrant Eye vs. DFM.

As a side note, maybe I have my yuri googles™ on the Chitose setting, but I have the feeling that any minute now a fight between those two will make a turn into the Yuri territory (maybe off camera).
Old 2012-12-06, 20:13   Link #63
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
3. Yuuta says something to Rikka. We don't see it.
I can barely be bothered to respond. It is true that we don't hear what he says to Rikka, but...

Quote:
Where in this do you see Yuuta being a jerk to Rikka?
we do see him in a violent confrontation with her in front of Yumin and whats's-her-name, instead of, like I said before, and included in your quote, "having a quiet, peaceful, private discussion..." His intentions may be perfectly honorable, but his actions aren't.

Quote:
The confession scene is one of the most beautiful and outright adorable I've seen in anime. Can't wait for more
This I will agree with you about. Which is also why I was so surprised and disappointed at Yuuta's brooding and violent behavior towards the end of the episode. Even though he seems to think he loves her, he still does not know how to treat a loved one.

Although this is technically supposed to be a RomCom, I found absolutely nothing funny about that brief scene we see where Yuuta is yelling at Rikka and, presumably, trying to remove her eyepatch (yes, this is speculation on my part, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this).
Old 2012-12-06, 20:33   Link #64
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

I don't think he was violent from one second to another, I think he tried to talk and she negleted everything, but the studio simply didn't bother to show this, because, sincerily, it would be just a pain in the a*s...

I still believe in Yuuta's behavior...
Old 2012-12-06, 20:34   Link #65
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Touka, you bitch.

Up to this point, your cold distance and complete lack of affection for your only little sister COULD have been forgiven and dismissed as "hard love" and an attempt for her to grow up on her own.

But now, come crunch time, when you can climb the social ladder of the cooking world, your "I have no reason to refuse this offer", and couldn't WAIT to cast Rikka aside to let her mother handle the problem, has made it loud and clear that you never loved her, and see her as nothing more than a liability and an obstacle rather than your little sister.

Asking somone else to rip Rikka apart on your behalf just so you can go on your merry way to cooking glory when you never even fucking tried to reach out in the first place to be a loving sister who is there to her is just..... evil. There is no other way to describe it.

Fuck you Touka. I hope you lose your licence poisoning someone with a rotten dish and have ALL YOUR hopes and dreams destroyed. Then when YOU have to have a coping mechanism to stop killing yourself, lets see how well YOU handle being rejected and ignored when you need compassion instead!!
Old 2012-12-06, 20:50   Link #66
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Touka, you bitch.

Up to this point, your cold distance and complete lack of affection for your only little sister COULD have been forgiven and dismissed as "hard love" and an attempt for her to grow up on her own.

But now, come crunch time, when you can climb the social ladder of the cooking world, your "I have no reason to refuse this offer", and couldn't WAIT to cast Rikka aside to let her mother handle the problem, has made it loud and clear that you never loved her, and see her as nothing more than a liability and an obstacle rather than your little sister.

Asking somone else to rip Rikka apart on your behalf just so you can go on your merry way to cooking glory when you never even fucking tried to reach out in the first place to be a loving sister who is there to her is just..... evil. There is no other way to describe it.

Fuck you Touka. I hope you lose your licence poisoning someone with a rotten dish and have ALL YOUR hopes and dreams destroyed. Then when YOU have to have a coping mechanism to stop killing yourself, lets see how well YOU handle being rejected and ignored when you need compassion instead!!
Bravo! My sentiments in a nutshell! I've always thought of her as a psycho, wielding that soup ladle like she was Queen of the Kitchen, attacking her little sister (and anyone else smaller than her who gets in her way). Sure would like to see some big old bad-ass MF take that ladle away from her and give her one with it to see how she likes it.
Old 2012-12-06, 20:56   Link #67
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Sure is JUSTICE™ in this thread...
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2012-12-06, 21:09   Link #68
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
we do see him in a violent confrontation with her in front of Yumin and whats's-her-name, instead of, like I said before, and included in your quote, "having a quiet, peaceful, private discussion..." His intentions may be perfectly honorable, but his actions aren't.
I think it was actually good that Kumin and Nibutani to witness the confrontation. Otherwise, it would've dragged on and didn't have to explain why Yuuta quit being in the skit and Nibutani took over after what happened.

Quote:
This I will agree with you about. Which is also why I was so surprised and disappointed at Yuuta's brooding and violent behavior towards the end of the episode. Even though he seems to think he loves her, he still does not know how to treat a loved one.
Given how much he's smacked and knocked on her head throughout the show already. Yes, the tone was different, but they needed to show how "tense" the confrontation was.

Quote:
Although this is technically supposed to be a RomCom, I found absolutely nothing funny about that brief scene we see where Yuuta is yelling at Rikka and, presumably, trying to remove her eyepatch (yes, this is speculation on my part, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this).
It wasn't supposed to be funny. Listed under "Genres: comedy, drama, romance"
Old 2012-12-06, 21:18   Link #69
Forsaken_Infinity

Dear God. If Touka's a bitch for trying so sincerely to help her sister and putting up with her despite clearly not liking it, I don't know what you folks would consider actually mean people to be.
Old 2012-12-06, 21:25   Link #70
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Dear God. If Touka's a bitch for trying so sincerely to help her sister and putting up with her despite clearly not liking it, I don't know what you folks would consider actually mean people to be.
I know, right? She's only going to Italy for training. It's not like she's permanently staying there.
Old 2012-12-06, 21:54   Link #71
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It isn't like Rikka is completely at fault, but the situation is hardly something any side could handle smoothly.
No matter how you look at it, Rikka's chuunibyou will not be all funny after she graduates (heck, even now is hardly something people will get along all nicely after a while).
Her current situation is all thanks to Yuuta, otherwise she would probably have no one but Sanae and Touka to rely on, and that cannot last forever neither.
Touka also realizes her own powerlessness and can only bear until the situation goes out of hand 1) when Rikka went to their old house anyway 2) that she will have to leave her alone again.

Simply speaking, Touka is actually making up for her inability to fully comprehend Rikka, by seeking Yuuta's help. As a relative who cares for Rikka's welfare, her range of actions is quite limited after so long.

And actually, Yuuta taking this matter seriously actually shows how he cares deeply for Rikka, demonstrating it isn't a mere crush on Rikka. Really, he knows already what means to be a chuuni on the "reality" side, and going further down this path is absolutely not going anywhere, to the contrary, it will lead to serious issues on the long run.

Be aware that Yuuta went more on the compromise, and asks Rikka to face the world without the "True eye of the wicked king", not forcing her or slapping a "your dad is dead!". So even if it wasn't the best solution, it was definitely the least inconsiderate option he had, that would at least have an immediate effect.
Did Yuuta act hastily? Yes. Could he have managed the issue better? Probably. Is he a teenager trying to deal with something that's very difficult, but in the end doing an okay job with it? Probably.

Lately Nibutani has served as the voice of the writers in a sense; she's the most perceptive of all the main characters. She catches on earliest to the romance between Yuuta and Rikka (before the two realize it themselves); she helps push them together; she helps save Rikka by telling Yuuta to catch her from below at the crucial roof scene (making up for her own miscalculations in using such a dangerous device); and I think it's significant she tells Yuuta she approves of his actions, when I think he himself is having doubts about what he did (hence his thanks for her support).

Like you, I don't think anyone needs to think Rikka is at fault for anything, but that doesn't mean her current behavior is sustainable. And the arrival of her mother shows the real human costs of her chuuni.

That being said, I don't think Rikka can or should give up everything that eyepatch represents, in the same way Yuuta has come to better terms with his old alter ego. This necessary rebalancing will be sorted out, I'm sure, in the remaining episodes.
Old 2012-12-06, 23:43   Link #72
garbage

Got to think more of the episode after some sleep ^^

i gotta say, though on my part i feel Yuuta could have done far far better than what he did yeah my previous post mostly reflects the first part, guess that's what annoyed me the 2nd part. thinking back it seems strange that he would act that way on someone who " feels like she's going to break if I just hug a bit tighter" ( or something like that). And I thought he understands Rikka. guess not at all. Not to mention using aggressive forceful behavior is rarely effective it handling or alleviating behavioral and Psychological problems. Oh and did I mention what great timing he had? WHY in the middle of the school fair??? not only did he possibly ruin the fair for Rikka and himself but he also put the whole club in jeopardy. way to spoil a rare event for everyone (1/yr... 3x your whole life....)

well mostly I guess it just shows Yuuta's just a kid after all and needs to grow up some too.
be reading the thread now
Old 2012-12-07, 01:16   Link #73
Mrs Kiryuu

I've never seen anything like that confession scene in a anime before. Kyoani are really testing out new things. This episode was excellent, but the animation was off sometimes. What a cliffhanger ending, though!
Old 2012-12-07, 01:22   Link #74
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Kiryuu View Post
I've never seen anything like that confession scene in a anime before. Kyoani are really testing out new things. This episode was excellent, but the animation was off sometimes. What a cliffhanger ending, though!
The lighting during the confession reminded me of the rooftop scene with Yuki and Kyon in The Disappearance of Haruhi, hehee.
Old 2012-12-07, 01:29   Link #75
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Touka, you bitch.

I sincerely believe you missed quite a bunch regarding Touka characterization: if she actually didn't care about her, she wouldn't even make so much efforts to pull Rikka out of her chuuni or at least sustain her needs before that point, she would also happily toss her to her mother without any concern or plea for help.

It is the complete opposite, and you should read really the lines for what it has been: Touka has, in a career sense, no reason to decline such offer. In fact, this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance and there is hardly -non- possibility to get such chance latter.
Really, being able to train oversea is a unique and rich experience, even moreso for Japanese people, who have very few opportunities. It would be a major waste for anyone's career to just overlook that, and that's why Yuuta commented Touka is amazing, because it must be something to be a person who was invited to such program.

However, she can't let Rikka in such state otherwise there is hardly a bright future ahead of her on the long run. And it has been hinted several times that she herself acknowledge she is no good with Rikka compared to Yuuta (the fact she relied on him and outright stated she envied him when he was teaching her math), therefore she is mustering all options given to her.

And for someone as capable as her (being a chef is no laughing matter), if she asks help in such humble way, that is a glaring proof how she cares about Rikka, which is further proved by her claim it would be irresponsible to leave her like that, which is true no matter how you look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post

There was no intention to make this scene funny: it shows how you have considered Yuuta as being a violent jerk with the comedy scenes before, and make an amalgam with it.
Yuuta already was calm when asking Rikka to remove her eyepatch, which means the tone of the discussion raised, because Rikka and Yuuta escalated it together: Yuuta bieng pressed by the possible issues Rikka will have on the long run, Rikka refusing such plea etc.
Old 2012-12-07, 04:24   Link #76
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I think the first half of this episode sums what just what I love most about this series.

The whole 'should I shouldn't I', 'confess my love' scene between Yuuta and Rikka? If you think about it, it's really standard, even cliched, schoolboy/schoolgirl romance. The both of them run the gamut of the standard young love story; consulting friends, going out on a date, getting caught in the rain, stumbling over their words, etc. etc.

When you translate the whole thing into chuuni-talk, though? It becomes pretty darn hilarious.
Old 2012-12-07, 06:19   Link #77
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Now I can't wait for ep 11 to see what will happen next. Also, Rikka's song was really good. I wonder if they will release a character cd with it.
Old 2012-12-07, 09:54   Link #78
whitecloud

Ist half is very good...with the second half is a nice follow up even though too bad they put the talk between yuuta and rikka offscreen,...I want too know what he said..

Anyway...just some commentary, I don't quite agree with touka leaving all to yuuta, even though she might not able to connect as she is not a chuuni, but she is a"sister" and that speak volume, even with the excuse of going to Italy, before that have she even try? Beyond saying to just face reality? She is putting rikka...no "assuming" rikka would just understand with that much, expecting rikka would behave in the same manner as touka, to just accept and she is talking to rikka with "adult" level of maturity when rikka is not there yet.. My professor always said if you want to understand other try looking from their POV... I guess this is applied perfectly to this situation...

As for yuuta, I don't exactly know what he said, but forceful changing is not that good, is just promote rebounding and risk losing trust and possibly creating additional scar from "betrayal". Thus it's supposed to be done gradually overtime, 3 years should be enough, especially with the "boyfriend" tag which means a very close posisition of trust that second to none, in my view...

Do you guys agree with my idea?

P.S : if a person close to you has the same problem with rikka, what will you do?for me the step is similar to above...
Old 2012-12-07, 10:21   Link #79
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Of all the things to inspire a hail of moralistic condemnation, we have Touka trying to balance her professional life with her family situation, Rikka's mother reaching out after years of estrangement, and a contextless ten-second flashback. We're trying to cast villains in this complex tangle? Are you kidding me? That's not just jumping to conclusions; it's strapping on a jetpack and flying out to greet them.
Old 2012-12-07, 10:40   Link #80
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Okay, one last post about Yuuta's behavior toward Rikka at the end of the episode.

I find it amusing that so many people here insist that Rikka needs to give up her chuuni behavior, yet Yuuta, himself, reverts to his own chuuni behavior when he can't find a "normal" way to deal with his own emotions. He even goes so far as to prepare, in advance, a Dark Flame Master confession, which he actually delivers. Curious behavior for someone who has supposedly left that all behind, and then, shortly afterwards, insists that Rikka give up her chuuni-isms.

And why wasn't Yuuta upset with Rikka's mom, instead of taking it all out on Rikka? Wouldn't he be pissed at his own mom if she ran away? It's the first time he's met her, and she won't even try to give the bento to Rikka herself. Shouldn't he have tried to convince her to do so? I am so disappointed in his behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Kiryuu View Post
I've never seen anything like that confession scene in a anime before...
It was certainly the best part of the episode, if not the whole series. And it has topped my list of anime confessions. And for those who want to watch it again (and again) you can watch it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Ist half is very good...with the second half is a nice follow up even though too bad they put the talk between yuuta and rikka offscreen,...I want too know what he said..

Anyway...just some commentary, I don't quite agree with touka leaving all to yuuta, even though she might not able to connect as she is not a chuuni, but she is a"sister" and that speak volume, even with the excuse of going to Italy, before that have she even try? Beyond saying to just face reality? She is putting rikka...no "assuming" rikka would just understand with that much, expecting rikka would behave in the same manner as touka, to just accept and she is talking to rikka with "adult" level of maturity when rikka is not there yet.. My professor always said if you want to understand other try looking from their POV... I guess this is applied perfectly to this situation...

As for yuuta, I don't exactly know what he said, but forceful changing is not that good, is just promote rebounding and risk losing trust and possibly creating additional scar from "betrayal". Thus it's supposed to be done gradually overtime, 3 years should be enough, especially with the "boyfriend" tag which means a very close posisition of trust that second to none, in my view...

Do you guys agree with my idea?

P.S : if a person close to you has the same problem with rikka, what will you do?for me the step is similar to above...
Although I agree in principle, there are a couple of questionables. For one, who says Touka was never affected by chuuni-ism? My theory is, like Yuuta, she abhores Rikka's chuuni behavior because she's been there, done that. Her wielding that soup ladle and those fight scenes seem to indicate, at the very least, abnormal behavior (normal people do not go around whacking their little sisters, and her friends, with a large soup ladle). Actually engaging in a fight with her little sister seems to me that she, like Yuuta, still hasn't given up all of her chuuni-ness.

Which problem of Rikka's are you talking about? Her chuuni behavior? Her reluctance to acknowledge her father's death? Her reluctance to speak with her mom? I don't really see any of these as a severe problem.

Why do people seem to think that Rikka will never be able to grow out of her chuuni behavior on her own? What's the rush?

Same with her dad. Grieving for a loved one isn't set to a schedule. To each, their own, as the saying goes. Everyone grieves in their own way, and some will grieve for a much longer time than others.

As for her mom, Yuuta, realistically, is not capable of resolving a problem between a mother and daughter, regardless of who is or is not at fault, if anyone. Just look at the scads and scads of self-help books devoted to the problem. Nonetheless, I fear the the anime will portray Yuuta as the hero, resolving all the problems by brow-beating Rikka into submission.

Anyhow, yes, I agree with you that the long-term approach would be much more suitable, as well as realistic, but since this series will probably never see another season, they have to wrap it up all in one blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
Rikka's mother reaching out after years of estrangement...
Huh? Estrangement? You make it sound like she didn't do anything wrong by abandoning her kids. I have personal knowledge and experience about how teenage daughters react to a mother who has abandoned them, and then who, years later, came back, acting like nothing ever happened. Do you? I wouldn't blame Rikka one bit if she never spoke to her mother again. I wouldn't think it the best solution, but I do know how devastating it can be for a young girl that her mother abandons her.
Closed Thread