AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-07-14, 03:25   Link #1
Mister Twit

Spring '14 recommendations

Normally I avoid watching current seasons of anything (unless I'm really hype for it) and then find something to batch through when the season is over. Unfortunately I've recently had a string of bad luck with this where a show I chose to watch turned out to be an immense waste of time, but because my OCD I had to watch the whole thing anyway.

Soooo instead of choosing at random or trying to guess what I might enjoy I am hoping to make use of this forum.

My tastes tend towards genres like action, mystery, and comedy, but I'll watch anything if it's well-written. If you want to recommend something from an older season that's okay, but just understand I'm more likely to have seen it. Oh and this should go without saying, but please don't recommend any long series unless it just started.

As for what I've already seen:
Blade & Soul
Akuma no Riddle
No Game No Life
JOJO: Stardust Crusaders

That's it. Makaseru yo~
Mister Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 03:34   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
My fave series (A List) from last season were: Mushishi s2, Gochuumon wa Usagi Desuka, Ping Pong and Isshukan Friends.

My biggest surprise from last season was Kanojo ga Flag. But it is one of those series that did not work for a fair number of people.

And I guess two honorable mentions would be Hitsugi no Chaika and Soredemo no Sekai. Each have weaknesses, but I found both to be extremely engaging and enjoyed both.
Old 2014-07-14, 03:52   Link #3
Mister Twit

Mushishi is a continuation of the old series, right? Or is it something standalone? I heard good things but the first season isn't on Crunchyroll so I passed.
Old 2014-07-14, 03:59   Link #4
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Twit View Post
Mushishi is a continuation of the old series, right? Or is it something standalone? I heard good things but the first season isn't on Crunchyroll so I passed.
In my opinion it is a "continuation", but for me both seasons are not a chronological account so much as a collection of poems all written on the same theme.

Reading the full available collection will inform you about particulars of the "whole image" that is being created, but one can still appreciate it's episodic nature (or a single poem) on an ep by ep basis, generally speaking.
Old 2014-07-14, 11:20   Link #5
Tenzen12

Baby Steps - it is sport anime, but very good, if you gave chance to this genre
Black bullet - decent shonen dystopian action
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin - adventure/action/comedy along with Sidonia probably best show of season
Sidonia no Kishi - Mecha done right, It's CGI but still as I said before: objectively close to best show of season and best mecha of recent years.
Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii - it's romance and bit shoujo-ish, but as guy I can say it's better and more watchable than any of these male oriented in same season. Fantasy, it has bit of action, but it's not prevelant element. It's definitely worth.
Gokukoku no Brynhildr - some action, some comdey, quite dark stuff. I dropped it myself, but despite of that it's done well.
Old 2014-07-15, 15:14   Link #6
Mister Twit

Thanks for all the suggestions.

@Tenzen12: you dropped Brynhildr but you recommend it anyway? Why did you drop it?
Old 2014-07-15, 18:44   Link #7
Tenzen12

... I don't know, it just happen time to time when I try anime that is overaly good, but just doesn't fit me and I loose interest. Same thing happened to me, with for example, Golden Time or Outbreak Company., which both got wide fanbase and not without reason.

Sorry I am not able be more specific, but I guarantee for decent writing at least.
Old 2014-07-15, 21:11   Link #8
jedinat

Of the last season, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou was the only anime that managed to maintain even a moderate "oh, that's nice" reaction whenever an episode came out...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote