AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 9 20.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 42.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 26.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-13, 12:40   Link #41
Eragon
Still Alive

^ It's probably got more to do with the implications of that act. Since they won't hesitate to do that to their mother, there's no reason why they would hold back on a God(humans).
Old 2013-01-13, 12:48   Link #42
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Killing her in what basically amounts to self-defense doesn't seem too loathsome to me.
Except they didn't kill her. They beat her down, lobotomized her, chained her down (to the point that she can't even blink, it seems), and are forcing her to do nothing but breed.
Old 2013-01-13, 13:08   Link #43
Dark Wing

Now after watching this episode I've gotten a pretty good idea where this story is heading and from the looks of things it most certainly isn't going to end well not at all.
Old 2013-01-13, 14:04   Link #44
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Every single Cantus usage incident with Squealer, Satoru was the one using the Cantus. This probably suggests to Squealer that he is a lot more powerful than Saki.
Actually, Satoru probably is more powerful than Saki, or at least better at using his power for these sort of things.
Spoiler for small thing that won't be mentioned in the anime anyway:
After all, Saki's main strength isn't her power.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I would end up killing myself if I lived in the world of Shin Sekai Yori, honestly - it's such a miserable, god awful place. Total nightmare of an existence.
Only if you know what's going on. If you're in the dark about the real nature of society it's a pretty idyllic life, at least until an akki, gouma or an overly ambitious bakenezumi happens to pop up.

Quote:
And I'm not sure why Saki and Satoru were so disgusted by the Queerats doing that to their Queen... she wasn't much more than a mindless, utterly crazy animal that indiscriminately killed anyone who tried speaking to her. Killing her in what basically amounts to self-defense doesn't seem too loathsome to me.
They didn't kill her, though, they made her into a helpless, mindless baby machine, I think that's pretty horrible (and there's more to the story anyway).
Old 2013-01-13, 14:09   Link #45
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I don't know guys, but I kinda root for squealer .

Viva la revolution!
Old 2013-01-13, 14:25   Link #46
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Is her strength being a leader?
---
I recall Satoru was interested in Saki during his childhood, but what about now? Is he bisexual or he cares deeply for her as a friend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I don't know guys, but I kinda root for squealer .

Viva la revolution!
Squealer reminds me of Kim Jong Il now, after the revolution against his own mother.
Old 2013-01-13, 14:25   Link #47
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Only if you know what's going on. If you're in the dark about the real nature of society it's a pretty idyllic life, at least until an akki, gouma or an overly ambitious bakenezumi happens to pop up.
Yep, we have to remember Saki and the others are special. The "normal" kids have no idea how nightmarish their world truly is, they live a pretty carefree and idyllic life. It's only bad from our perspective. Their lives may be a complete lie, but it's a very comforting one.
Old 2013-01-13, 15:38   Link #48
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
^ It's probably got more to do with the implications of that act. Since they won't hesitate to do that to their mother, there's no reason why they would hold back against gods.
Yeah, that democracy stuff is scary and dangerous, thank heavens this is only a work of fiction ... wait! >_<
Old 2013-01-13, 15:41   Link #49
Raviel

Queerats discover DEMOCRACY and FREEDOM, then turn into power hungry little buggers? Coincidence?

.........I THINK NOT

I am not liking where the story is going (in a good way if that makes any sense), I have read spoilers about the future events in the novel but I never realized how dark the tone of the show would be getting.

I wonder why the ethics committee or board of education don't take more steps to make sure the Queerats are kept in line or properly monitored, even if a few Cantus users can decimate several colonies they're still heavily outnumbered.

Needless to say, a mass Queerat rebellion is probably the worst thing that could happen to the village besides a Karma Demon or Fiend.
Old 2013-01-13, 16:27   Link #50
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Possibly expecting some French Revolution parallels?
Old 2013-01-13, 16:35   Link #51
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
I wonder why the ethics committee or board of education don't take more steps to make sure the Queerats are kept in line or properly monitored, even if a few Cantus users can decimate several colonies they're still heavily outnumbered.
"Overconfidence breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure"
Old 2013-01-13, 18:56   Link #52
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Actually, Satoru probably is more powerful than Saki, or at least better at using his power for these sort of things.
Spoiler for small thing that won't be mentioned in the anime anyway:
Not to go all DBZ in power level discussion here, but with the exception of Mamoru, they all seem pretty gifted with their skills. To me it'd be like arguing about who the smartest person in Mensa is.

From what I've seen so far, Saki's pretty dang strong. I'd say she's a good compliment to Satoru, actually. He uses his powers to think of the environment as a toolbox. It's very direct. She uses her powers to compliment her existing thought. Basically when she encounters a problem, the Cantus itself is a tool for the solution, but it's not always the solution. It's more indirect. Combine her thought with his, and they make a good team. But I think it also highlights why she was a candidate for being a leader instead of the others, and why she was the best candidate for learning what Tomiko learned about how to use Cantus.
Old 2013-01-13, 20:14   Link #53
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Not to go all DBZ in power level discussion here, but with the exception of Mamoru, they all seem pretty gifted with their skills. To me it'd be like arguing about who the smartest person in Mensa is.
Mamoru is not any worse than the others, what makes you think he is? It's just that his speciality is less obvious than Maria's levitating or Satoru's mirrors. But look at those pictures he "draws."

Quote:
But I think it also highlights why she was a candidate for being a leader instead of the others, and why she was the best candidate for learning what Tomiko learned about how to use Cantus.
Tomiko had her eyes on Saki pretty much from the start, though, because of her personality and mental fortitude, not because of her power or how she uses it.
Old 2013-01-13, 20:54   Link #54
Kirarakim

The line when Satoru said the queer rats remind me of humans made me think what they did to their mother and what the human society does to their human children they think are dangerous...yeah not so much different.
Old 2013-01-13, 20:59   Link #55
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Does Squealer know that Saki has a perfectly usable Cantus?

I don't remember any time when Squealer was around that Satoru wasn't the one using.
-The first incident they had with Squealer, it should have been painfully obvious that Saki's Cantus was simply not working.
-In the first part of this ep, Satoru was the one that made the mirror, not Saki.
-Satoru grabbed Saki to stop her from falling, she didn't do anything herself.
-Near the end, Saki just begged Satoru to stop. Couldn't she have tried to stop/slow what he was doing while telling him to stop?

Every single Cantus usage incident with Squealer, Satoru was the one using the Cantus. This probably suggests to Squealer that he is a lot more powerful than Saki.

Theory: Squealer's downfall will be due to the fact that he underestimates Saki, or overestimates Satoru.

Theory: Saki always makes sure to have Satoru use Cantus unless not possible intentionally to try and deceive Squealer. I might be overestimating Saki, but she has proven to be quite creative and resourceful time and time again.
Good call. It really will amount to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
^ It's probably got more to do with the implications of that act. Since they won't hesitate to do that to their mother, there's no reason why they would hold back on a God(humans).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
The line when Satoru said the queer rats remind me of humans made me think what they did to their mother and what the human society does to their human children they think are dangerous...yeah not so much different.
Reality is scary.
Old 2013-01-13, 21:19   Link #56
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Not to go all DBZ in power level discussion here, but with the exception of Mamoru, they all seem pretty gifted with their skills.
From what I recall from GURPS: Psionics, their skill level and power level are two different things. Maria has quite a high power level since she can lift her own weight above ground for long periods of time. Skill is what Shun was all about, you do not need a lot of strength to manipulate DNA, but you require lots of precision (and quite a bit of ESP since you cannot see what you are manipulating).
Old 2013-01-13, 23:17   Link #57
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
On one of the forums I used to frequent, we'd use "feats" (notable and pertinent accomplishments the character has achieved that speaks to his or her overall power, strength, intelligence, speed, etc...) to compare and measure characters against each other. This was for the purpose of trying to ascertain who would most likely win a fight between two or more fictional characters.

Going by that approach...

Satoru: As a kid, he did massive damage to an entire army of opposing Queerats. He killed an awful lot of them. His ability to manipulate the environment around him is very high-end. He also has high stamina, and reacts quickly and decisively to threats thrown against him. I don't see much reason to think that his adult self is any less powerful

Maria: Close to flight capabilities, and has hover/levitation abilities. Nobody else is shown using this as frequently as Maria is, so maybe this is something Maria is uniquely good at. I don't recall Maria using her powers much for pure offense, but it stands to reason that if she can make herself "fly", she should be able to do the same to any object no heavier than she herself is, and use such an object as a projectile. So I'd say she's, at worst, close to Satoru in raw offensive capability. And almost!flight is probably an edge she has on him.

Saki: She killed one of those giant cats once, and just by uttering a few words and making it somehow implode. Given that those cats are designed for the express purpose of killing kid/teenaged cantus users, that's pretty impressive. She seems to be able to engage in levitation from time-to-time, but she doesn't use it as much as Maria does. Saki strikes me as the most clever, resourceful, and resolute of our protagonists. This episode suggests that Satoru might have a stamina edge on her, though.

Mamoru: He also seemed to kill one of those giant cats once.

On the whole, I'd say the four are fairly close, with slightly different aptitudes. Going just by "feats", I'd feel more comfortable taking on entire army with Satoru at my side, since he's "proven" in that regard. OTOH, Saki and/or Mamoru might be better at one-on-one combat judging by their own feats. I'd probably prefer Saki as an ally if the threat was one very powerful guy.
Old 2013-01-13, 23:33   Link #58
deadsea

what happens if the queerat attack, they look like human now and their behaviour too, maybe this could trigger the death feedback ...
Old 2013-01-14, 00:35   Link #59
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

I went back to check the MAL page for Shinsekai, and I was surprised to find the rating so low.

Then I noticed there were mostly 5/5s before episode 8, yet the votes were pretty divided on 8's poll, and a huge drop in votership afterwards. And of course, there's even a poll asking about people dropping due to episode 8 too.

If only they overlooked the brief homosexual overtones... the recent few episodes have been revelation after revelation and pretty enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsea View Post
what happens if the queerat attack, they look like human now and their behaviour too, maybe this could trigger the death feedback ...
I'm sure the village could come up with some sort of hypnosis that tricks people into thinking the queerats are just common beasts. After all, I'd assume the death feedback is purely psychological because fiends (with the same DNA and everything) don't seem to be affected.
Old 2013-01-14, 03:07   Link #60
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxorMG View Post
I'm sure the village could come up with some sort of hypnosis that tricks people into thinking the queerats are just common beasts. After all, I'd assume the death feedback is purely psychological because fiends (with the same DNA and everything) don't seem to be affected.
Which reminds me of SAO LN somehow. (Don't ask. Not in this section.)
Closed Thread