AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-08-25, 23:02   Link #3761
Seitsuki
Onee!

燃 is read 'ネン'. The kana is needed for the kun reading.

In any case I think 萌え might be more the moe you are looking for.
Old 2014-08-26, 00:09   Link #3762
Dopplegeist

How do you pronounce "160km/h" in Japanese? Like how used in baseball? ひゃくろくじゅうきろ?
Dopplegeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 07:56   Link #3763
Gundamx

anyone know how to read 瀬川陽樹?
(I think it mean reincarnation)
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 10:59   Link #3764
Dopplegeist

Is "indirect kiss" written as 間接キス or 間接キ? I find more online that suggests 間接キス, but in television specifically I hear 間接キか?, like here.
Dopplegeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 11:46   Link #3765
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopplegeist View Post
but in television specifically I hear 間接キか?, like here.
Maybe it's just me but I hear a "ス" in there.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 20:44   Link #3766
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopplegeist View Post
How do you pronounce "160km/h" in Japanese? Like how used in baseball? ひゃくろくじゅうきろ?
for formal talk:じそくひゃくろくじっきろ(jisokuhyakurokujikkiro)
for casual talk:じそくひゃくろくじゅっきろ(jisokuhyakurokujukkiro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
anyone know how to read 瀬川陽樹?
(I think it mean reincarnation)
It's a person's name.
せがわ はるき(Segawa Haruki) or せがわ ようき(Segawa Youki)
JINNSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-27, 10:47   Link #3767
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINNSK View Post
It's a person's name.
せがわ はるき(Segawa Haruki) or せがわ ようき(Segawa Youki)
Thanks you
+
no wonder I couldn't find any meaning for it from translator....
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-27, 17:19   Link #3768
sneaker

For future reference: the joshi.org dictionary has names in it:

http://jisho.org/words?jap=%E7%80%AC...ng=&dict=edict
http://jisho.org/words?jap=%E9%99%BD...ng=&dict=edict
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-22, 20:44   Link #3769
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Greets to all,

There a place where I can review for the JLPT Level 5 test?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 15:18   Link #3770
endarion88

greetings to all

i've been studing japanese for some time now but since i self study, sometimes i find things i don't understand from the textbooks i got, would be ok for me to ask some explaination here from more expert people?
Old 2014-12-01, 16:58   Link #3771
Draco Spirit

I'm currently working on a fantasy story with a character in it who's half Japaneses and looking for a nice selection of words and terms in Japaneses that don't translate too well into English to help spice up some of her dialogue.

Also I'm trying to give her a suitably Japaneses family name that won't look silly and weird to a native Japaneses speaker but subtly hints at the fact she's a wind and storm mage.

Currently I got Takayamahashi, which I think mean's high mountain bridge (a place that should have plenty of bad weather me thinks!), but I'm not a 100% sure I put her name together right.

Anyone with good enough Japaneses to give me some advice and guidance with this?
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 21:01   Link #3772
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Greets to all,

There a place where I can review for the JLPT Level 5 test?
Not sure what you want to review. N4 and N5 should be extremely easy for even the lazy student.
Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion88 View Post
greetings to all

i've been studing japanese for some time now but since i self study, sometimes i find things i don't understand from the textbooks i got, would be ok for me to ask some explaination here from more expert people?
Ask away. There are definitely people here answering.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-02, 02:10   Link #3773
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
Currently I got Takayamahashi, which I think mean's high mountain bridge (a place that should have plenty of bad weather me thinks!), but I'm not a 100% sure I put her name together right.
"Takayamahashi" sounds weird lol. at least, that's not how you read it if you want it to sound 'cool'. Still, even if you read it as "Kouzankyou", it's still weird to be a person's name (though it does sound cool).

OTOH, "Takahashi" is a proper name. Just take out the yama.
Old 2014-12-02, 04:34   Link #3774
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
I'm currently working on a fantasy story with a character in it who's half Japaneses and looking for a nice selection of words and terms in Japaneses that don't translate too well into English to help spice up some of her dialogue.

Also I'm trying to give her a suitably Japaneses family name that won't look silly and weird to a native Japaneses speaker but subtly hints at the fact she's a wind and storm mage.

Anyone with good enough Japaneses to give me some advice and guidance with this?
So do you want a fictional name or a real name?
Old 2014-12-02, 14:41   Link #3775
endarion88

can someone pls explain me the line i marked? is noting extreme but somehow i dont get the sense

if anyone could spend 2 min telling me what it means and how the build work it would be a great help thank you in advance
Old 2014-12-02, 17:30   Link #3776
Draco Spirit

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I don't mind if it sounds a little 'odd', but I want to avoid it being too far out there, and certainly I want to avoid bad spelling and grammar

It doesn't have to be real, but it to look realistic if you follow me, though Takahashi looks pretty solid at the moment because of its location reference, unless there a nice way to get something a bit closer without falling into the "Sparkles Stardust" of Japaneses naming
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-02, 19:09   Link #3777
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
can someone pls explain me the line i marked? is noting extreme but somehow i dont get the sense

if anyone could spend 2 min telling me what it means and how the build work it would be a great help thank you in advance
The underlined sentence is part of the sentence in brackets and it roughly means: "Her mother could have send word like 'thanks for taking care of my daughter' or something"

However, that last sentence なんておしゃってましたよ I can't quite make it out. I know what it means, but I'm probably missing the context of why that sentence is put there. The only thing I can think of is that all the sentences before that last one is a quote by another person and the speaker is recounting them word by word.
Old 2014-12-02, 19:51   Link #3778
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
The underlined sentence is part of the sentence in brackets and it roughly means: "Her mother could have send word like 'thanks for taking care of my daughter' or something"

However, that last sentence なんておしゃってましたよ I can't quite make it out. I know what it means, but I'm probably missing the context of why that sentence is put there. The only thing I can think of is that all the sentences before that last one is a quote by another person and the speaker is recounting them word by word.
yes he's reporting what an other person said but i know that part i had put the arrow there becouse i was dubios since i wasn't figuring out the previous line.

can you give me some more datail on the underlined sentence if is not a bother? i have to learn how the line is build or i wont be able to translte similiar lines in future, thank you anyway for your help i did get a general idea
Old 2014-12-02, 21:47   Link #3779
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I'm sorry if I don't properly explain this since I'm an autodidact myself. Maybe someone else can help explain things that I don't explain well.

なんて「言ってきてもよさそう」だけど

The important bit is in that bracket. Nante part is just referring to the previous sentence, while dakedo part is loosely similar to tag.

As for the word in bracket, the first part is the "ittekite" and then "yosasou". Now, I'm not sure how to explain the exact functional difference between "Ittekite", "ittemite", and plain "ittete" so I can't really help you on this, aside from the fact that it's derived from "iu" which means "say", and that should be good enough for now. Yosasou part is derived from "yoi/ii", which means "good". Yosasou roughly means "(it) would be good (to do)", or "seems good".

So, "ittekitemo yosasou" roughly means "it would be good to say (it)". However, as you can see, translating this part into English from the whole sentence in the example would result in gibberish so in this case it's better to modify it like I did back there.
Old 2014-12-02, 21:54   Link #3780
larethian

Quote:
yes he's reporting what an other person said but i know that part i had put the arrow there becouse i was dubios since i wasn't figuring out the previous line.

can you give me some more datail on the underlined sentence if is not a bother? i have to learn how the line is build or i wont be able to translte similiar lines in future, thank you anyway for your help i did get a general idea
もう、ラーセンさんが来てから三ヶ月にもなるのに、アメリカのお母さんから一度も手紙が来ないのは、どうい うわけだろう、「娘がお世話になっております」なんて言ってきてもよさそうなものだけど、なんておっしゃってましたよ。
In the reported speech (underlined), the original speaker is complaining about Larsen(?)'s mother in America not sending a letter even once after Larsen has come here for 3 months, and she(the Mom) should at least say "thanks for taking care of my daughter(my daughter has been in your care)" to the original speaker.

なんて言ってきてもよさそうなものだけど
-----
なんて - something like (「娘がお世話になっております」)
-----
言って - tell/say ( Vて form)
:: きて - come (Vて form) --> Vていきます/Vてきます can be conjugated as suffixes to a 'Vて' for a few purposes; here, it is acting as a suffix to 言って to indicate direction towards the speaker
-----
も - particle; --> here you can replace with 'even' ==> "even 'saying something like "thanks for taking care of my daughter"'
-----
よさそう - this is actually a conjugation of 'いい (good/nice)' + そう. Normally, conjugating そう as a suffix to i-adjective will drop the い. But いい is special and it turns into よさ during conjugation. This そう suffix is one of the several "seems like / hearsay" forms; there are others like みたい and らしい and each has its own usage rules. However I don't want to go into details here. Generally, you can replace with "looks" or "seems".
For eg.
おいしそう - looks/seems delicious
楽しそう - looks/seems fun
よさそう - looks/seems good/nice
-----
==> よさそう is like a na-adjective so we use な to modify もの
I'm sure you know what だけど/ですけど means literally; here it's used more as a way of indicating disapproval/disagreement/protest.

So, なんて言ってきてもよさそうなものだけど is in other words saying that it'd be (at least) nice that the mother sends a word of thanks for taking care of her daughter or something to that effect (even if she's unable to write a letter for any reason).

Tags
hiragana