AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 180 70.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 14.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 7.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.39%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.39%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 3.53%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-30, 10:40   Link #81
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Who knows, that could happen I guess
Old 2009-01-30, 10:41   Link #82
FTV

Really!? =D
Old 2009-01-30, 10:45   Link #83
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Judging from the last thoughts of Tomoya (if I did this, it should not have happened, etc...), we are in for a very rough ride. I am guessing he is engaging on a path that is more self-destructive.
Old 2009-01-30, 10:48   Link #84
FTV

Great. Then just as he hits rock bottom, Ushio will do something Nagisa-like and he'll have an epiphany that in a way Nagisa never did leave him and he'll want to live again. DANG IT! SO LAME! What happened to my show about a couple becoming a family!?!?!

Last edited by FTV; 2009-01-30 at 11:04. Reason: Oh right Ushio
Old 2009-01-30, 10:57   Link #85
FTV

Okay I'll admit Ushio doing something Nagisa-like kind of does make me feel better but still WTF PEOPLE!?
Old 2009-01-30, 11:25   Link #86
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTV View Post
Hey guys... what if... they altered all those shots from the next episode to give them a sad tone... but the first part of the next episode is... everything is okay! That could happen right? RIGHT!?
Hey, you never know. They did it with Kotomi asking if everyone was a bully and they agreed.
Old 2009-01-30, 11:38   Link #87
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Spoiler for slightly off topic:
Old 2009-01-30, 11:44   Link #88
acr429

seems like I lost the willingness to watch the rest of the episodes
I thought it was gonna be diferent than the movie but I guess NOT.
Old 2009-01-30, 11:45   Link #89
Beo
where's the snow?

There is 1/3 of the episodes left, a lot yet to come there folks.
Old 2009-01-30, 11:46   Link #90
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post

I tried to warn you friend.
Old 2009-01-30, 11:53   Link #91
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I tried to warn you friend.

Haha, well thanks anyway pal. I appreciate it.

See you later, space co- I mean Nagisa.
Old 2009-01-30, 11:58   Link #92
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Hey, you never know. They did it with Kotomi asking if everyone was a bully and they agreed.
But that was only in season one. After Story hasn't really had any intentionally misleading previews, as far as I can remember. So I'd say we can safely assume that the next episode will also be extremely depressing.

Oh, and now that I've slightly gotten over my initial state of being a total emotional wreck, I'll point out that the animation in the Illusionary World-scenes looked considerably worse than usual in this episode...
Old 2009-01-30, 12:02   Link #93
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post

Oh my dear God! You must be in rough shape with that combo

I've shed tears for quite a few anime in the past but this is probably the most ever for me. Not only did I shed tears, I actually had the lip quiver going....I may have even made a "puu" sound ......

I saw it coming even though I have never read spoilers about this game, but now it looks like we are going to get a slap across the face with the irony-stick as Tomoya now becomes like his father. Hopefully Ushio inherits Nagisa's natural kindness and brings Tomoya back from the brink.

I don't blame Tomoya for his sadness, if I ever had a person like Nagisa and then lost her I'd probably be pretty devastated too. Might even consider joining her on the other side if I were him. But considering the sacrifice Nagisa made in order to bring Ushio into this world, Tomoya better not even consider it, he has a duty to raise Ushio well in response to her sacrifice.

Anyway, really well done episode that I wish was never ever made. I want the Super-happy-ending dammit. Or I'd at least settle for the Scooby-Doo ending or something... just not this.
Old 2009-01-30, 12:09   Link #94
FTV

I wonder if after Tomoya gets better he'll end up remarrying one of the other Op girls.
Old 2009-01-30, 12:19   Link #95
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTV View Post
I wonder if after Tomoya gets better he'll end up remarrying one of the other Op girls.
Blasphemy so soon?! Surely you jest sir!
Old 2009-01-30, 12:35   Link #96
FTV

lol
Spoiler for scene:
Old 2009-01-30, 12:43   Link #97
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

-_- 0_0 ;_; T_T
Spoiler for .....:
Old 2009-01-30, 12:43   Link #98
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I suggest waiting until after classes to watch. The last part might leave you too upset to pay attention to class. Unless you don't want to pay attention to class.
Dang you were right I dont want to go back to class now! The first half was happy, then the second half hit like a bag of hammers. Sadest Episode of any anime I have watched
Old 2009-01-30, 12:48   Link #99
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Gah. I probably retyped this maybe 3 times for the places I posted and provided it for. One of the more difficult things I've had to type in... well a long time...

----------------

The White Darkness.

Classic symbolism, the direct comparison of two opposing words intending for it to mean the same thing. Honestly if I never played the game I probably would not have understood what it reall means. White darkness could easily mean so many different things.

But for the case of this particular moment of human suffering, I can but imagine the icy cold snow. It can kill humans in minutes, it covers life and makes it barren, it shapes the land by force and will. To some, a harbinger of joy. To others, of doom. The snow that envelopes the earth and robs it of its life and warmth. It reminds of a blank white slate of beginning, or should I say, erases everything back into a blank white slate.

A white blanketing sheet, terrifying in its almost magestic beauty that hides death underneath.

Both the real and illusionary world are slowly being covered by the snow. The robot hastily builds their flying machine as the girl in the ended world weakens daily. Escape is the only means of salvation for both, if either were to find the happiness that had always eluded them.

"There could be other worlds out there"

Maybe I'm getting jaded too fast and too young, but I miss gatherings like this. Old friends who have moved in separate ways yet have a single common place where they can be together again. Gathering together I assume near the end of Nagisa's last trimester, they ponder just how far their lives have gone at that point. They question their travels they have gone, but as for the presumably still single ones go, wonder if the Okazaki's have gone farther than they have.

And as the occassion goes forward, we are then treated to a simplified discussion on String Theory. There have always been times where I wondered if the writers of this tale had theoretical physics in mind, once considering the soundness of some of the ideas it had in comparison to beliefs in multiple dimenshions. Perhaps Key had something going on during production, but at the end we never really see the science of it all, perhaps just the humanity.

What are these worlds, exactly? A game vet will answer with his own interpretation, but this is at the heart of this tale of love, loss, and redemption. To say more may be a sin, and I assume KyotoAni knows well enough to provide this information.

"Maybe I've come to hate this place..."

Despair is surely a powerful and all-encompassing feeling. It feeds on fear, insecurities, doubts and its ilk. As the steel frames of the hospital rise, the father and the grandfather share their thoughts on the event that creeps ever closer to their already tormented lives. Tomoya still feels the curse of the city that seems to want to torment him. In a city that gave him nothing but sadness and loneliness and he found just one beacon of light in this white darkness. A light that was slowly fading away.

Did he feel hatred because the town was punishing Nagisa? Did he feel hatred that Nagisa was being punished because of him? I really don't know the answer to that. Despite all his monologues and statements, it has never been clearly said. All we know is that this town where he grew up in has perhaps never been anything but cruel to him. And now in his most dire of hours, it seeks to punish him again.

Not just him, but also the one most precious to him.

"Please... let me rest for a little bit..."

And so it begins...

Crap.

Everyone who has ever played the game has been afraid of this moment. The central event of Clannad occurring in a tiny apartment, in the middle of a spiteful snowstorm, between a man, a woman, and a child. Their child.

I have to admit it now. Rarely do I see that an adaptation can surpass its original material in sheer delivery and execution, but this is one of those times. I have to admit that having been through this exact scene before in a different format, I thought I wouldn't be affected as I was the first time. Boy was I farking wrong. I needed a hand towel, just like before.

For some people, going into labor could be considered a not-so-rare occurrence. Then again, not all pregnant bodies can handle the stress of labor when it isn't the time yet, and again I doubt Nagisa was one of them.

But labor is a finicky master. If it comes, it comes. The painful writhing of a mother delivering her first born is a difficult sight to behold even though I have seen it before. In Nagisa's case... god almighty... the mere fact of the dangers involved and the possible outcomes it may have is a dagger of much sharper make.

Husbands can only but watch in their own agony, knowing too well that there really isn't a damn thing they can do about it. All they can do is clasp her hand, tightly, and be there for her. For their child.

All one can do is pray and hope for their safety.

"18:57"

Cue excessive bawwing here.

What is 18:57? Based on AQS' sub, you'll notice that Nagisa open her mouth in her struggle to speak, but we don't hear anything audibly. Tomoya asked her a question beforehand and she tries to answer, but all we get is the 18th minute, 57th second. Nagisa speaks a word neither the watcher nor Tomoya could here.

This may have essentially been... the last words that Nagisa said. A word nobody was able to hear.

This, for me, is the moment I will always remember for this episode.

Final words, spoken, yet unheard. Nobody knows what she said, and that's what makes it all the more painful....

"This is our daughter, Ushio"

The infamous monologue. Freaking heart wrenching as it was, even more so that it is spoken.

Hopes for the future as they both had wished. How they'd try to raise their child, how she'd become a crybaby like her mom. How they'd be there for her first day in school. So many wishes, so many dreams.

Is this the end of such a dream?

"You said we'd always be together..."

The hand goes limp. Looking at the scene, I can tell myself that her skin had suddenly become pale. Tomoya struggles to hold her hand, but her hand no longer holds his. The hand is lifeless. He tries to make her feel Ushio's face, but again the hand falls to the floor, lifeless, empty, barren.

He can only but remember the days he spent with the one most precious to him, all the way from the very recent to the very past.

The proposal of marriage. The moving out into an apartment. Her graduation day. His graduation day. The times spent with friends and family. The moment he declared his love for her. The time spent rebuilding the drama club. The day they ate lunch in the school grounds.

All the way to the day they met... at the bottom of that hill... one April morning...

"Do you like this school...?"

It is that day again. The day they met, on the bottom of that hill, to the blossoming cherry trees. Only this time, he does not answer her.

What then would it have been like? What would it have been like if they never met? Never spoke? What would it have been like if these two never knew each other? Would Nagisa have survived? Would she have lived without pain? Would she have been able to live a full life, not dying in the middle of childbirth? Would she have found greater happiness?

As Tomoya thinks, Nagisa passes by him, down the hill and away from school. He does not speak. He only watches her walk away. Into the white darkness.

Reality would beckon for Tomoya again. Ushio is now in his arms, on the futon the lifeless body of the one most precious to him. He must now, again, live his life.

A life without Nagisa.

----------------

Good Lord. Maybe I need to see a therapist at some point.
Old 2009-01-30, 12:48   Link #100
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I went to bed several hours after watching more humorous shows (Minami-ke).

Woke up early with a headache and realized after a while that I'd been crying because I was looping "Dango Daikazoku" in my head.