AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-24, 00:01   Link #861
prnoct90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's interesting. I did not know that; thanks for the info.

If so, I can totally understand why he's doing this.

It has to be pretty bad to not get a good view of a movie that you've been really looking forward to.
Um, yes this is normally the case. I've seen a couple movies here. Its actually quite convenient. (of course seeing movies here comes at a prices, movie tickets are anywhere from $15-$20), but when I bought my ticket it just had a list of all of the theaters it works at. I'm pretty sure you can use it at any of those theaters at any time in any seat. I think this movie is an exception.
Old 2010-01-24, 00:06   Link #862
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnoct90 View Post
Um, yes this is normally the case. I've seen a couple movies here. Its actually quite convenient. (of course seeing movies here comes at a prices, movie tickets are anywhere from $15-$20)
Convenient if you know what they're asking you when they ask what seat number you want (knew enough Japanese to buy the ticket until they threw that curve-ball at me).

Though they do have an actual chart that they can pull out to ask those who don't understand (at least, the theatre I went to for Detective Conan movie 12 did). They also had a student discount which they allowed me to use despite obviously not going to school in Japan, which was quite nice ($9 instead of the standard $15 or so).

Quote:
but when I bought my ticket it just had a list of all of the theaters it works at. I'm pretty sure you can use it at any of those theaters at any time in any seat. I think this movie is an exception.
That's what I'd assume based on the way the tickets look (lack of any identifying features regarding location). Either that, or you sort of redeem them at participating locations for the actual ticket. Like a prepaid card or coupon of some sort (likely getting the back stamped so you can keep the promotional ticket, but still render it void for further use).
Old 2010-01-24, 00:53   Link #863
Phocus
◕ ◡ ◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
^ Perhaps he's quite short and desires to clear the seats in front of himself for optimal viewing, as theaters in Japan (at least all the ones I've been to) sell tickets to specific seats at a specific time rather than free-for-all seating for a specific show time.
This reminds of that episode on South Park where Cartman buys a whole amusement park so he wouldn't have to wait in line for the rides.

Possibly the same intentions, no?
Old 2010-01-24, 03:59   Link #864
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scython View Post
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...ll-for-my-use/ < NSFW

You know, I'd be climbing on my roof, celebrating the joy of me being able to go at least once to this movie in the cinema. And he just goes about and buys 30 tickets, because he can.

Life's being ass right now.
Oh fanboys.....seriously though I would be lying if I said I was not expecting such a thing to pop up somewhere or other. Certainly goes well with the whole "guaranteed success" aspect of that one Oricon article I saw.
Old 2010-01-24, 08:56   Link #865
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol I can see the powers of Haruhi saving the economy... not.
Old 2010-01-24, 11:03   Link #866
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Someone will try to go one better by booking a whole cinema. Mark my words, it will happen. I called it first!
Old 2010-01-24, 20:38   Link #867
kyonyun
Evil Overlordy Thing

I can always dream that i am watching haruhi in the cinema but alas we have to wait months for the DVD to come out (break down and cry)
Old 2010-01-24, 23:25   Link #868
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyonyun View Post
I can always dream that i am watching haruhi in the cinema but alas we have to wait months for the DVD to come out (break down and cry)
:3 Agreed. I wish I could see it in theatre for the expirience.
I wish for, at least, screenshots when It comes out.
I can wait to see the movie, I guess.
But i don't want to.
Another reason why I wish I lived in Japan.
Old 2010-01-25, 03:10   Link #869
kyonyun
Evil Overlordy Thing

i was in japan just last month
why oh why didnt i stay longer
Old 2010-01-25, 13:45   Link #870
Fishfood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Someone will try to go one better by booking a whole cinema. Mark my words, it will happen. I called it first!
and then someone who doesn't know this guy booked a whole cinema(assumed this happened), see the guy came out of the movie alone(after it finished), would think the movie suck and thus spread bad rumors

roof>bed
Old 2010-01-25, 21:09   Link #871
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfood1 View Post
and then someone who doesn't know this guy booked a whole cinema(assumed this happened), see the guy came out of the movie alone(after it finished), would think the movie suck and thus spread bad rumors
Well, on the other hand if anyone did that word would spread around on 2chan and the intertubes eh?
Old 2010-01-25, 22:59   Link #872
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Anyone know or can hazard a guess how long the movie's run in cinemas will be?
Old 2010-01-25, 23:03   Link #873
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Anyone know or can hazard a guess how long the movie's run in cinemas will be?
A month, I'm guessing.
but prolly wrong
Old 2010-01-25, 23:07   Link #874
GDB

I'd be surprised if it were any less than 4 months.
Old 2010-01-25, 23:16   Link #875
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
4 months that long? I'm not sure of how long movies run in Japan, and I'm pretty sure they'll be milking the Haruhi cash-cow for as long as possible, but... 4 months? Seems a little too much, even for KyoAni.
Old 2010-01-25, 23:23   Link #876
GDB

Normally I'd say just over two months, but by going four they'd start getting parts of the summer crowd. Either way, Detective Conan was in theatres for at least two months, so Haruhi will be at least as long as that.
Old 2010-01-25, 23:55   Link #877
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Don't know about Japan, but four months in theaters is a very long time in America. Dark Knight, which made $500M and seemed to be in theaters forever, was out of wide release in under three months (although it remained in limited release for another four and change).
Old 2010-01-26, 00:43   Link #878
relentlessflame

*Administrator

One thing I want to mention, and I'm not completely sure if this means what I think it means, it's that they're calling this a "theatre roadshow". What I take that to mean -- and I could certainly be wrong -- is that rather than releasing in a whole ton of theatres on day one like your big name film release, they'll be releasing in some theatres to start, and then moving it to different theatres as they go along so they can hit more places with less "prints" (granted that I doubt it's put on film). All the other anime releases from this past weekend were the same way, I believe. So in that sense, you may see it play in one spot for a few weeks, then another spot for a few weeks, so the total run in theatres may be spread out, but the actual run in any given theatre may be rather short.
Old 2010-01-26, 01:09   Link #879
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
One thing I want to mention, and I'm not completely sure if this means what I think it means, it's that they're calling this a "theatre roadshow". What I take that to mean -- and I could certainly be wrong -- is that rather than releasing in a whole ton of theatres on day one like your big name film release, they'll be releasing in some theatres to start, and then moving it to different theatres as they go along so they can hit more places with less "prints" (granted that I doubt it's put on film). All the other anime releases from this past weekend were the same way, I believe. So in that sense, you may see it play in one spot for a few weeks, then another spot for a few weeks, so the total run in theatres may be spread out, but the actual run in any given theatre may be rather short.
If they did that in the US, they might actually make some money off of it. I'd certainly catch it if they came anywhere near Houston (which is unlikely in that "anywhere near Houston" usually means Dallas, which is about four hours away).
Old 2010-01-26, 02:14   Link #880
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
One thing I want to mention, and I'm not completely sure if this means what I think it means, it's that they're calling this a "theatre roadshow". What I take that to mean -- and I could certainly be wrong -- is that rather than releasing in a whole ton of theatres on day one like your big name film release, they'll be releasing in some theatres to start, and then moving it to different theatres as they go along so they can hit more places with less "prints" (granted that I doubt it's put on film).
Japan abuses the term roadshow for a lot of things. They call the friday night movie on tv the "Friday roadshow" etc. Here (and I had to check wikipedia on this), the term roadshow for a movie has since come to mean "First run release" or "Premiere". It's usually the term before roadshow that defines whether it's a national/wide or limited release. Some theaters will still open the movie on later weeks thus still keeping the idea of a roadshow. It isn't the idea of moving prints anymore though.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen