AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-01-12, 17:50   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Reliable Download Managers

Does any know of a download manager that works greate with Filesonic and Fileserve? I tried J Downloader but it slows my computer down and Java generally sucks anyway.
Old 2012-01-12, 20:19   Link #2
sa547
*Author

^
JDownloader is the only one that can deal with segmented files, and to use that I added more memory to my PC to accommodate the Java load it generates.

Maybe you could try this .Net-based counterpart (and I'm getting it right now, and see if it'll work for me):
http://mdownloader.codeplex.com/
Old 2012-01-27, 16:59   Link #3
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Are there any ones that work for Mediafire?
Old 2012-01-27, 20:14   Link #4
sa547
*Author

Have you tried Mdownloader with that site?

Mediafire is always my favorite locker service, so FDM nicely works well with that site because it allows resumeable downloading.
Old 2012-01-27, 20:18   Link #5
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Have you tried Mdownloader with that site?

Mediafire is always my favorite locker service, so FDM nicely works well with that site because it allows resumeable downloading.
I did for Rapidshare at least but I only got 14.4 KB of data but M Downloader doeswn't seem to work with Mediafire. I'll try FDM to see if I get a different result.
Old 2012-01-28, 01:50   Link #6
Xenio
Flower

have you tried Internet Download Manager?
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 02:58   Link #7
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

/endthread
Old 2012-02-02, 13:12   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Is there still a valid need for download managers?

I recently had an issue where a software installer that I had purchased and downloaded came out corrupt. I re-downloaded it and had the same issue. I emailed their technical support to alert them to the fact that their installer might be corrupt on their server, and their reply was that I should try using a download manager. (They also gave me a link to a different installer to try... )

I remember using download managers back in the dialup days. It always seemed to me that the major purpose of download managers there was to save your download progress in case you got disconnected while transferring mid-stream, and to queue up downloads in order to make effective use of the limited bandwidth. Given today's fast and stable connections, is there really a purpose behind using download managers at present?
Old 2012-02-06, 02:58   Link #9
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Of course there are. Not all servers are even fast, so if you're downloading a large file, having DL manager will help should you get disconnected. Additionally, try downloading a file from a server with say, Firefox, and look at the speed. Then do it with DDL manager and look at the speed. What do you see? 10x faster speed with DDL manager if server bandwidth is fast.
Old 2012-02-06, 03:49   Link #10
sa547
*Author

The good thing with download managers is the ability to control and finetune your downloading activities, that it becomes a necessity.