Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2005-12-20, 01:04   Link #41
boredandsleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
thumbs-up@FogHog lmao

"History of Literature" XD It would be even funnier if it wasn't so sad and true...
I don't quite understand your "History of Literature" here.

EDIT: Nevermind, these words did not come from you.
boredandsleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 01:13   Link #42
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^I was amused by the fact FogHog said what happened to Shinn's character in GSD is something that is unmatched in the "history of literature"...I found how extreme he was being funny, but in every joke there's some truth and the truth remains (as I have stated several times)...Name me one intended main character in the history of anime, TV dramas, movies, or literature, that has the entire focus and program taken away from them mid-way thru the series with no hard-line ryhme or reason for it?? I've asked this question several times and not ONCE was I ever given one example to match Shinn's nerfing as a main character...
Old 2005-12-20, 02:13   Link #43
FogHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandsleepy
As a matter of fact, there had been people from other forums discussing about Shinn not specifically listed in the cast in the TV Guide Japan even though the spoiler was about Shin. However, in Sun Television Guide, Shin was listed there in the cast list. I personally don't see any problems here since the special ep will be shown in few days.
It's just yet another example where shinn gets the short end of the deal in either his world or in our world. It's bad enough if that cast list was intended by the staff, it's even worse if it's an accident. But yeah, i agree it's relatively tame compared to all the other wild screwing he's been getting.

Quote:
^I was amused by the fact FogHog said what happened to Shinn's character in GSD is something that is unmatched in the "history of literature"...I found how extreme he was being funny, but in every joke there's some truth and the truth remains (as I have stated several times)...Name me one intended main character in the history of anime, TV dramas, movies, or literature, that has the entire focus and program taken away from them mid-way thru the series with no hard-line ryhme or reason for it?? I've asked this question several times and not ONCE was I ever given one example to match Shinn's nerfing as a main character...
that's what i meant. There are plenty of main characters that have to deal with sad events like death of family, love ones, blah, blah, blah..... But none of them, I mean NONE, has to struggle against his director and writer. How do you beat that?
FogHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 07:38   Link #44
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Name me one intended main character in the history of anime, TV dramas, movies, or literature, that has the entire focus and program taken away from them mid-way thru the series with no hard-line ryhme or reason for it?? I've asked this question several times and not ONCE was I ever given one example to match Shinn's nerfing as a main character...
Hmm... I can think of a few TV shows where actors/actresses for main characters get into contractual disputes with producers and leave the show...

Of course, like you said, Shinn's character just got shafted for seemingly no reason at all... So...
Old 2005-12-20, 10:45   Link #45
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well it's not like I've never asked that question...But I think you're aware I'm talking about this as something pro-actively done and not because of things like contract disputes or primma donna's like Shannon Dorthy(Charmed) who leaves a show when she gets into fights with other actors...

Once again we'll see what this after-ep has to offer and if the nerfing takes on mythical levels or not...
Old 2005-12-20, 11:36   Link #46
Nesty

Quote:
Edit: Here is my opinion. I wonder if Fukuda was requested by Bandai to highlight Shin and Kira in the after-episode to stimulate their model sales. I read from some forums that their GSD model sales aren't that great in comparing to their DVDs and figures sales. See the picture below for reduced-price models at one Japanese store. I believe the front side is showing all Impulse models.

Spoiler:
LMAO omg check out all them impulses o-o! talk about no sale haha
Nesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 14:56   Link #47
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogHog
that's what i meant. There are plenty of main characters that have to deal with sad events like death of family, love ones, blah, blah, blah..... But none of them, I mean NONE, has to struggle against his director and writer. How do you beat that?

Anakin Skywalker?
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 21:54   Link #48
BrokenWingz

Sadly, no matter how good something is, if you can compare it to something else even a bit better it will get shunned as not good(too many comparisons)(referrign to Seed and the hate to destiny)

On a different note, looking forward to it.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 09:48   Link #49
tetsuo69

well its only a few days from now.. are there any new info on the extra Ep?
tetsuo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 15:14   Link #50
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo69
well its only a few days from now.. are there any new info on the extra Ep?
Calm down and wait, odds of there being any new information made available with only 2 days until it airs is not likely.

Personally, as I said to Wingdarkness on IRC, I hold no hope what-so-ever for this After-story episode. Given what was done in the TV series and how they deigned to finish that eyesore I have no reason to assume they wont do the same for this which they claim will brign closure. >.> I wouldn't mind missing it, in fact, I'm going to so it's all good. =P
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 18:32   Link #51
Asuka Shinn
Leng Jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Calm down and wait, odds of there being any new information made available with only 2 days until it airs is not likely.

Personally, as I said to Wingdarkness on IRC, I hold no hope what-so-ever for this After-story episode. Given what was done in the TV series and how they deigned to finish that eyesore I have no reason to assume they wont do the same for this which they claim will brign closure. >.> I wouldn't mind missing it, in fact, I'm going to so it's all good. =P
lolz........yeah, I totally forgot about this "so called" special ep. I'm sorry, but there's no redeeming GSD. In the eyes of many, it's a failure. Whatever sad attempt they're doing to patch it up will worsen if it's not done correctly.
Asuka Shinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 20:34   Link #52
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper

Word, brotha.
neodrag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 21:42   Link #53
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

an alternate perspective on Shinn's role from a GS/D latecomer

I didn't watch any GS/GSD until shortly after GSD ended, at which point I marathoned through all 100 episodes (well, skipping recap eps and skimming overly-long flashbacks) over the following month.

Watching the whole two series in one megadose back-to-back, I never had any problem with Shinn's quickly diminishing role. As an old UC fan, I felt that GSD was to GS as Zeta to First, if told from Char's/Quatro's perspective, essentially (viewing Kira and Athrun as analogs to Amuro and Char).

Viewing Athrun as the "true" lead (and after all, look at how he even starts in the series!) felt like a good balance to Kira leading Seed. I always though Shinn was too hard-headed and overwrought to be likable (for me--not bagging on Shinn fans at all here, I know what it's like to have a series treat a character you like unfairly...), and felt he filled the role of what would "traditionally" be the hero of a Gundam series, but viewed from the outside, as it were. In that sense, I actually enjoyed the twisted writing of GSD in how it plays with the viewer's expectations and challenges what assumptions you might have about a Gundam series.

Not saying the writing didn't have issues, though, and WTF happened to Cagalli's spine between series...? GS is still clearly the superior series, with a better balanced writing team and better character art and so on. And mecha-wise the core system just seemed so arbitrary (even if it is a reference to the original core system, it just seems to gnaw on my suspension of disbelief). But I really liked both shows, viewed together as a whole, as sort of point and counterpoint, in the end.

I'm really looking forward to the special and hope the rumored 3rd series is really in the works so I can finally masochistically experience the weekly episode grind rather than plunge through whole months' worth of episodes at a time in a single night's viewing (though that was probably therapeutic in curbing potential frustrations with the show)...
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 21:47   Link #54
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike66
side note: good thing sum users were deleted aka demongod86, no more of his trolling on this forum for a while

Say WHAT?! Boo @ you!!!!!

God, that's some major hax...
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 22:55   Link #55
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu
I didn't watch any GS/GSD until shortly after GSD ended, at which point I marathoned through all 100 episodes (well, skipping recap eps and skimming overly-long flashbacks) over the following month.

Watching the whole two series in one megadose back-to-back, I never had any problem with Shinn's quickly diminishing role. As an old UC fan, I felt that GSD was to GS as Zeta to First, if told from Char's/Quatro's perspective, essentially (viewing Kira and Athrun as analogs to Amuro and Char).

Viewing Athrun as the "true" lead (and after all, look at how he even starts in the series!) felt like a good balance to Kira leading Seed. I always though Shinn was too hard-headed and overwrought to be likable (for me--not bagging on Shinn fans at all here, I know what it's like to have a series treat a character you like unfairly...), and felt he filled the role of what would "traditionally" be the hero of a Gundam series, but viewed from the outside, as it were. In that sense, I actually enjoyed the twisted writing of GSD in how it plays with the viewer's expectations and challenges what assumptions you might have about a Gundam series.

Not saying the writing didn't have issues, though, and WTF happened to Cagalli's spine between series...? GS is still clearly the superior series, with a better balanced writing team and better character art and so on. And mecha-wise the core system just seemed so arbitrary (even if it is a reference to the original core system, it just seems to gnaw on my suspension of disbelief). But I really liked both shows, viewed together as a whole, as sort of point and counterpoint, in the end.

I'm really looking forward to the special and hope the rumored 3rd series is really in the works so I can finally masochistically experience the weekly episode grind rather than plunge through whole months' worth of episodes at a time in a single night's viewing (though that was probably therapeutic in curbing potential frustrations with the show)...
Well your not the only masochist here, Ill watch Gundam cause it's Gundam and every series will always have a chance with me, but to watch 100 straight SEED eps (which I could never do because I can't watch the same anime continuosly for more than 4 or 5 eps without having to change genres or somthing from being tired of it) will greatly skew your opinion...with no time to really reflect, digest and//or debate you will indeed get a cleaner veiwing, but your intake will be much more surface than someone who had to grind the series out...Watching Shinn's character take a downshift from the perspective of watching episode after episode in a (I assume) few days setting is infinitley different than watching him fall in terms of 53 weeks of watching...when he was the main character for more than half of those weeks...

As for your point about GSD challenging the assumptions of what a G-series should be I have ZERO problems with that, all I ask is THAT IT BE GOOD, and GSD is severly lacking in a multitude of categories when it comes to this...Yet like you I am a masochist and will watch the after-ep to complete my fears...
Old 2005-12-22, 00:12   Link #56
cajunman380

^^^^^^

I must side with wingdarkness on this one. your views and perspectives are welcome and provide a nice vantage point to consider. it is a different experience to watch a series straight than waiting week after week. (ive had those moments) and it often takes time before one can understand some of the deeper things that an animated story or even a manga has to offer. the thing is for most of us wating week after week for something to happen and not getting anything is something that really puts us in an angry mood. i appreciate the fact that they were trying to do something different. but as wingdarkness said. if its different let it be good. in this case it wasnt good. the writers and director had many interesting avenues for which the story could have been better for which the suppose main character shinn could have had a reason for being a main character but instead the director chose a route in which he expected the audience to forget who the main character was and back to the kira and athrun formula of gundam seed which in this case didnt work because a) there wasnt a powerful enemy, and b) there was a mian character who we have seen for half a series and were waiting for that character to get somewhere and never did. It felt aS THOUGH SHINNS EXISTENCE WAS all POINTLESS. even in the impulse vs freedom duel which to me was a highlight. kira didnt learn anything and shinn didnt learn anything and Athrun especially didnt seem to learn anything which is a drastic contrast from gundam seed. in the end of this series i ofund the supposed heroes to be hipocrites and for shinn to be the underappreciated underdog who got the worst treatmeant that any character in all of my viewings of anime and literature ive seen. if he died a tragic death doing something important...fine. but in the end he was treated as though he was a useless grunt and he wasnt even given a proper ending. this is one of the primary reason why i look down on this series and why i continue to poke at it with a cattle prod. becaus ethis is an example of something that should never happen when your telling a story especially in this franchise. The fact thaty they are trying to cover it all up with excuses makes it worse. this is all my opinion mind you and thanks for reading.
cajunman380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 02:16   Link #57
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
now that i think of it, shinn didn't do anyhting geat.... he didn't even destroy the first destroy.... and he didn't really kill anyone important.. heck rey even steals teh spotlight by ....Dbzing Djibril, and busttin a cap in gil... poor shinn...screwed by hi sbest freind too...
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 02:57   Link #58
tetsuo69

he won the fight against Freedom :P even thought it was Set for kira to lose and get Strike Freedom.. but that was big to beat a legendary Suit from the past war
tetsuo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 03:25   Link #59
boredandsleepy

Deleted.....

I will re-post it again if the info is indeed verified by Gundam Ace.

ダムAには「ラクスに新しい命…」

Last edited by boredandsleepy; 2005-12-22 at 17:11.
boredandsleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 03:39   Link #60
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
All right, for those who wonders if there's more news for the after-story episode.

Source: 1ch.tv (probably from 2ch.tv)

Gundam Ace: New life for Lacus......

ダムAには「ラクスに新しい命…」

So, the ep is not just for Shin.
Why do I picture Shinn becoming a manservant of the Clyne household? Is it because I can't imagine Shinn ever have a chance in being anything but a servant if Lacus is still alive?