Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-14, 15:10   Link #1
Sakuya
*Artist

Female Protagonists

I know this might sound weird but it will serve as a reference for writing my manga.

Do anyone know of a manga (or an anime) that was created/written by a male but its story features female main characters (not sub characters)?
Old 2006-06-14, 17:50   Link #2
hooliganj
Team Player

Off the top of my head, I can think of Lina Inverse from Slayers, the title character from Yawara, and the main character from most Miyazaki movies, like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and Kiki's Delivery Service.

It's tricky to say whether an anime that isn't based on a manga or novel was created by a man or a woman, since there is likely to be a group of people involved. Revolutionary Girl Utena and Blood - the Last Vampire are two such franchises, created by committee, although in both cases the publicized head of the group was male (Kunihiko Ikuhara and Mamoru Oshii).
Old 2006-06-14, 17:57   Link #3
Varis
Composed Eccentric

Send a message via AIM to Varis Send a message via Yahoo to Varis
I'm almost positive Noir is by a guy too.
Old 2006-06-14, 18:00   Link #4
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Hmm, is Mai Otome and My-HiME written by a male too? If it does, then it's a sure recommendation from me.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-06-14, 18:04   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Add Tsukikage Ran (a female samurai and her sidekick in the early Edo period) ... yes there are female samurai... yes they were rare. The show manages to be funny yet have everyone respond to her as the oddity she was --- some outstanding animated swordplay but basically the plot is a retelling of all the old ronin stories. Seek sake, blow with the wind, accidently eliminate evil.

"main protagonist" can get a bit tricky..... "co-protagonist" will net you more results -- romances like Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, REC, or Lamune.

Nostalgic comedies like Ichigo Masimaru and Azumanga Daioh have almost exclusively female protagonist groups.

Utawarerumono (ongoing) features some very strong female characters in a variety of roles, but the "main protagonist" is a guy...

Most of the "magical girl" series are female protagonists ... but the main one I'd recommend would be Magical Shouju Lyrical Nanoha and the second season Nanoha A --- which feature females in both the protagonist and antagonist roles. Nanoha is actually pretty serious for the genre and features some excellent fight and sfx scenes.

I'm almost positive every single one was written by guys.
Old 2006-06-14, 18:12   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Only one of the greatest anime franchises of all-time...Ghost in the Shell, and GITS:Stand Alone Complex...Major Motoko is one of the greatest female protagonists in anime history if you didn't know...Can't believe it even took four posts for her not to be mentioned...
Old 2006-06-14, 18:16   Link #7
Scorch

Serial Experiments Lain's main protagonist is female.
Old 2006-06-14, 18:40   Link #8
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^I actually was gonna say Lain aswell then I thought about it...She isn't really a true protagonist considering her character shows a dark-side that makes her the main antagonist to many of her friend characters mid-way thru the series...
Old 2006-06-14, 19:12   Link #9
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Suzuka in Suzuka is the main character, which pains me.
Old 2006-06-14, 19:16   Link #10
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
^I actually was gonna say Lain aswell then I thought about it...She isn't really a true protagonist considering her character shows a dark-side that makes her the main antagonist to many of her friend characters mid-way thru the series...
...which has nothing to do with the issue of her being the protagonist. 'Protagonist' just refers to the main character, which Lain surely is.
Old 2006-06-14, 21:38   Link #11
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Yeah I understand that, just saying why I didn't mention it...and Protagonist doesn't automatically refer to the main character...Shinn is a protagonist and antagonist in GSD at the same time..so there are some elements to consider, but yes Lain is a girl and the main character...
Old 2006-06-14, 22:22   Link #12
jedinat

pro·tag·o·nist (prō-tăg'ə-nĭst) pronunciation
n.
1. The main character in a drama or other literary work.
2. In ancient Greek drama, the first actor to engage in dialogue with the chorus, in later dramas playing the main character and some minor characters as well.
3.a. A leading or principal figure.
--b. The leader of a cause; a champion.
4. Usage Problem. A proponent; an advocate.

"The use of protagonist to refer to a proponent has become common only in the 20th century and may have been influenced by a misconception that the first syllable of the word represents the prefix pro–, “favoring.”"

~~~
Not necessarily saying you are wrong... it's just that the way you are using the word is defined as a "usage problem" in the dictionary...
Old 2006-06-14, 22:37   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't know that it is actually "common" even ... especially given my exposure to high school and college students. I've never heard it misused that way before but I can see how someone might get confused.

However, I spend enough time troutslapping students for "lose/loose", "rouge/rogue" - it isn't often we get to the literary jargon terms.
Old 2006-06-14, 22:41   Link #14
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Suzumiya Haruhi fits this, it is written by Tanigawa Nagaru, a guy. But whether Haruhi herself is a protagonist or antagonist could be debated.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-14, 22:42   Link #15
Sakuya
*Artist

Really? I just thought it'd be better to use this one word instead of "Female Main Characters." Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 2006-06-14, 23:06   Link #16
Tancos
Who?

There are lots. Besides the titles already mentioned, Haibane Renmei, Kamichu!, Magical Project S, Excel Saga, most of Miyazaki, Millennium Actress, the various Bubblegum Crises, etc., were all originally created by men and feature females in central roles.
Old 2006-06-14, 23:13   Link #17
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Suzumiya Haruhi fits this, it is written by Tanigawa Nagaru, a guy. But whether Haruhi herself is a protagonist or antagonist could be debated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
Suzuka in Suzuka is the main character, which pains me.
Despite the names of these two series, I'm pretty sure that Kyon is actually the protagonist of Haruhi (given that Haruhi frequently isn't even present, but Kyon's always there), and I know that Yamato is the protagonist of Suzuka.

Some more that haven't been mentioned: Read or Die and ROD the TV (based on works written by Hideyuki Kurata), Madlax (by the same people who did Noir), and Witch Hunter Robin.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
Really? I just thought it'd be better to use this one word instead of "Female Main Characters." Thanks for all your suggestions!
Don't worry about it, you used it correctly.
Old 2006-06-14, 23:13   Link #18
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
I wasn't aiming my post at you
I'm not sure if the quoted post was aimed at me, either. lol
Old 2006-06-14, 23:24   Link #19
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Despite the names of these two series, I'm pretty sure that Kyon is actually the protagonist of Haruhi (given that Haruhi frequently isn't even present, but Kyon's always there), and I know that Yamato is the protagonist of Suzuka.
Well its mentioned in the novel 1 editorial itself that Haruhi is the main character, but the story was told in a very interesting 1st person perspective of Kyon. And this happens entirely through the book, which was quite an amazing feat, one of the reasons why the book won its award.

You can say both Haruhi and Kyon are the main characters.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-15, 00:33   Link #20
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Caddy Compson was the main character of The Sound and the Fury, but for the most part she wasn't even there. It doesn't actually have to mean that the female protagonist has to be present in all the facets of the show for her to be actually the main character; as long as her absence moves the other characters to act why as they do, as long as her absence has a significant effect and somewhat dominates the entire story, she's the main character. I'm pretty sure it was titled Suzuka, not Yamato.
Closed Thread