AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 59 37.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 32.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 16.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 8.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.43%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-24, 17:00   Link #101
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
The only KyoAni shows so far that I dropped have been Munto (lol), and FMP after seeing its first season.
Well, FMP the first season was not done by KyoAni, but by Gonzo. It's The second raid, and the spin off, Fumoffu the ones that were done by KyoAni (in collaboration with a set of companies, but they were the spearhead of the group).
Old 2009-04-24, 17:03   Link #102
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, FMP the first season was not done by KyoAni, but by Gonzo. It's The second raid, and the spin off, Fumoffu the ones that were done by KyoAni (in collaboration with a set of companies, but they were the spearhead of the group).
I see. My mistake.
Old 2009-04-24, 17:07   Link #103
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Twenty years ago, it would have been an acceptable excuse to not know the source. However, in the age of internet and free access to a lot of things, it would take five to sixty minutes to know what you are getting into. It is fairly obvious that as long as you don't know the original source, your expectations will be totally off. Oh, and knowing the original source help you appreciate or criticize things better. Case in point: Earthsea.
Whaaaaaaaaaat? Ok really, I could just as easily counter that knowing the source would leave nothing to chance or to surprise, and it wouldn't really change anything anyway because more often then not it's still the same concept. Plus I like to go into my shows fresh and with no real expectations other then to keep me intrigued with the premise, then I take it from there. As such I don't really see any reason why I would need to know the source. Knowing the source is of course important for academic research, theories, news and the like, but this is just entertainment.
Old 2009-04-24, 17:22   Link #104
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
No, I don't even need an excuse. There is no reason for me to read the source material before watching the show. If I did this for everything in entertainment I watched, I'd go nuts.

Bourne movies? Gotta read the books first. Benjamin Button? Gotta read that Fitzgerald book. Check. The 10 anime shows I'm watching this season? Wow, this is getting time consuming.
If you could read a synopsis, you could read ten pages. It is not hard. Especially if it is a comic or a 4koma.
And regarding the anime we are discussing right now, it is clear that you had the wrong expectations. Struggle, biblical efforts and DRAMA are really on the bottom of the 4-koma's list.

And reading FICTION is STILL entertainment.

EDIT: Knowing the source STILL can leave you to surprise. The good (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex) and the bad (Gonzo's Hellsing) kind.

Last edited by Sheba; 2009-04-24 at 17:49.
Old 2009-04-24, 17:29   Link #105
Nerroth
NePoi!

They stole Beast Megatron's rubber ducky!

But he'll get it back, yesssss...
Old 2009-04-24, 20:36   Link #106
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Barnacles? Actually I know someone who's afraid of them (and he's also a poster here at Asuki, you know who you are ) - everyone in this planet is afraid of something, even if it can be oh so irrational. Besides, the only two things we've seen Mio be afraid of is blood and barnacles, and the first one isn't really a stretch for people to be afraid of you know: Some people are just really weak to the thought of blood. It's not like she's suddenly afraid of EVERYTHING as she's portrayed now
I'm probably not who you're referring to, but to be honest, I too actually have a slight fear of barnacles. And of the undead, strangely enough.
Old 2009-04-24, 21:15   Link #107
Justin Kim
*Artist

I almost dropped Kanon because it just seemed to drag towards the end in my opinion. Probably the only KyoAni production that I almost came near to dropping, the others I watched just fine.
Old 2009-04-24, 21:16   Link #108
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Mugi and Mio [of course] were ridiculously cute this episode. Mio especially, but that's a given. And what do you know, Yui's a dumb genius. I guess everyone has their talents, and Yui's is NOT learning in the conventional way.
Old 2009-04-24, 21:25   Link #109
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I guess everyone has their talents, and Yui's is NOT learning in the conventional way.
As i said before, there is a few hints about Yui's talent. She can learn only thing at the time. Remember the exams, she was absorb by the guitar book that Mio gave to her. She has no idea about the things in the exam, but she learn every chord .

After the study session with the girls for the retake, she had forgotten every about the guitar .
Old 2009-04-24, 21:36   Link #110
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
As i said before, there is a few hints about Yui's talent. She can learn only thing at the time. Remember the exams, she was absorb by the guitar book that Mio gave to her. She has no idea about the things in the exam, but she learn every chord .

After the study session with the girls for the retake, she had forgotten every about the guitar .
So I guess her special talent/ability is to learn one thing precisely with full concentration, then fully understanding it afterwards. But if Yui goes through the same procedure with a different topic applied to her, then she forgets about the previous thing she learned.
Old 2009-04-24, 21:39   Link #111
Fran~
floating away...

Her grandma actually said that. And Yui thinks that it was a compliment
Old 2009-04-24, 21:39   Link #112
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I'm very much like Yui, in that I put myself to something easliy enough and learn....if I can muster the concentration but I can also forget stuff very easliy too just like she did with the chords. Its a devils curse I tell ya!

btw Mugi-chans little giggle is just too cute!

also I like how they always have the same seating arrangements, long haired girls on one side short haired on the other

Moe, Moe. Kyun~!

p.s I love that BGM that plays when the girls bust in and Mio decides about going to the beach, kinda reminds me of Minami-ke for some reason
Old 2009-04-24, 21:41   Link #113
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Moe, Moe. Kyun~!

That was so hilarious!!!... i think that Ricchan must be so happy for found a friend like Yui...
Old 2009-04-24, 21:59   Link #114
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Episode 4 blog now up. Wow what a ridiculously moe episode. We get to see Mio's nice, erham, assets and even some yuri subtext :P

Yay for Yuri!
Old 2009-04-24, 22:01   Link #115
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

Moe OVERLOAD!!! My poor nose, the bleeding hasn't stopped yet. And Maid Mio? That finished me off. I spent the rest of the episode in a haze of blood and other fluids. Yes, you heard me.
Old 2009-04-24, 22:06   Link #116
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
In this case? For me to start calling it anything other than average and par for the course week after week? I don't know, something that I can point to and say, "yes this defines the spirit of K-On and it's characters". I think it's been mentioned before that there are a lot of these kinds of shows, especially the 4 girl troupe kind, so I'm just looking for something beyond it being the most extreme moe series out there. Any show can make itself on a foundation of having lots of moe and wacky characters engaging in wacky antics nowadays, and really there's nothing specifically wrong with that at all, but for me it's not enough. Meaning that seeing Mio in a maid outfit in an over the top sequence or a shot of her straddling a pillow is not likely to make me give the nod to a K-On episode as exemplary and warranting of a rave review any time soon. Quirky stuff it all is, but really if that's all the show has to offer right now then sorry, but I'm looking for a little more before I let this be anything more then the latest Summer Anime Featuring Girls Engaging In Wacky Antics (tm).

Though here's something to chew on. Maybe if I can be given some reason to care that all of these antics are being engaged in by the K-On girls specifically........like as in an upcoming episode that grants them some distinguishable personality beyond their moe traits, then by the time we get back to the moe antics I'll have reason to care and lose myself in it more.
Then I honestly believe you looking at the wrong anime.. I dont read the manga, but as I understand it, its a 4 panel manga full of one liner punchline/ one gag per chapter.

And this wont change. Lucky Star remains the same throughout the series, In a way, Haruhi as well.. And K-On will be, I can guarantee it based on previous proven recipes of those 2 series I mentioned above, K-On wouldnt be straying off to charter your ideal kind of series.

Its a light SoL series about 4 girls in high school environment. It wouldnt change.

I can actually map all 4 girls into my sisters. real actual siblings. Maybe less moe since they are all over 30s now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
So I guess her special talent/ability is to learn one thing precisely with full concentration, then fully understanding it afterwards. But if Yui goes through the same procedure with a different topic applied to her, then she forgets about the previous thing she learned.
Yui doesnt understand, she's a parrot. She is able to mimic something into perfection, but she's only capable of only 1 at the time. Case in point, as shown in the exam test. And again in this episode.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2009-04-24, 22:16   Link #117
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
And this wont change. Lucky Star remains the same throughout the series, In a way, Haruhi as well.. And K-On will be, I can guarantee it based on previous proven recipes of those 2 series I mentioned above
K-On is absurdly similar to LS, you will see... when i saw the pic with the girls of K-On wearing the uniform of LS i couldn't stop my laughing.

But, Kyo Ani knows his job... and the recipe "cute girls doing cute things" is boomb-proof:
Azumanga Daioh (isnt from Kyo Ani, i know)
Lucky Star
Ichigo Mashimaro (isnt from Kyo Ani too)
K-On, etc
Old 2009-04-24, 22:18   Link #118
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
another great episode... looking forward to more great episodes like this one

moe, moe, kyun was fantastic ^_^
Old 2009-04-24, 23:57   Link #119
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Then I honestly believe you looking at the wrong anime.. I dont read the manga, but as I understand it, its a 4 panel manga full of one liner punchline/ one gag per chapter.

And this wont change. Lucky Star remains the same throughout the series, In a way, Haruhi as well.. And K-On will be, I can guarantee it based on previous proven recipes of those 2 series I mentioned above, K-On wouldnt be straying off to charter your ideal kind of series.

Its a light SoL series about 4 girls in high school environment. It wouldnt change. .
Well I'm sure it will do something exceptional at some point along the way that I will be able to get into. I am a very patient individual, I can wait. Plus I need to eventually get what is so outstanding about Mio's character, barring it all being a meme, which it is REALLY starting to seem like with this episode.
Old 2009-04-25, 00:02   Link #120
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"Target Audiance" is what drives the "outstanding" in Mio's character. Pretty much every moe scene for Mio is directly from the manga. Yui's scenes are more KyoAni than the manga.