AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-09-13, 19:23   Link #141
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

When you have someone like Bungie behind this. You kind of wish because of their history.
Old 2014-09-13, 22:09   Link #142
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Thinking about it, the problem isn't the size of the area- that's fine. The problem is that the environments didn't have much to tell-- We don't really find out what happened in those places before humanity abandoned them-- No, death and destruction doesn't count. The questing in WoW is design to give you a tour of each area and it's story but that might come off as heavy handed, they could also use Dark Souls' style of item description to subtly hint about the history of the place.
Agree, which was why I kinda use TLoU as an secondary example. That was a very tightly designed world, but every inch of that game told a lot of story, be it through even the layout itself, or stuff like log items, etc.

And while size wasn't really a factor, a fast travel vehicle like Sparrow really narrows the focus point of the world, and the environments catered for Sparrow use were highly uninspiring.

Quote:
As I understand it WD needs a more interesting protagonist and drop all that Ubisoft world open fluff bs that's also been plaguing AC.

TF needs a single player campaign, more maps, and in my opinion, more creative Titans. If people were thinking of playing only as the pilot in a mecha game, you're doing something wrong.

Destiny needs a better open world exploration style, more creative encounters, more creative bosses, and in my opinion, a more extensive RPG system.
All of them aren't terribly hard things to build on in 2 years time.

Except maybe Ubisoft's open world fluff nonsense since they've only grown more in love with all their filler with every game they ship.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 22:27   Link #143
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

While I agree for the most part that missions are usually pretty repetitive, I place the blame on simply because the game is primarily a first-person shooter. Single player campaigns in those kinds of games are usually always "run to the objective while shooting anything in your way".

As for story or lore, I don't think it was intended to be a very important thing for this game in the first place. They still had the niceties to include the Grimoire Card system for those who are interested in such a thing though.

Not to mention Bungie is a company that has really only worked on one significant franchise in the past, that being Halo, so of course their strengths lie with the FPS genre and not RPG's.
Old 2014-09-13, 22:51   Link #144
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Agree, which was why I kinda use TLoU as an secondary example. That was a very tightly designed world, but every inch of that game told a lot of story, be it through even the layout itself, or stuff like log items, etc.

And while size wasn't really a factor, a fast travel vehicle like Sparrow really narrows the focus point of the world, and the environments catered for Sparrow use were highly uninspiring.
Another point is that most of the locations on each planet have almost the exact same design with little to distinguish them from another area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
All of them aren't terribly hard things to build on in 2 years time.

Except maybe Ubisoft's open world fluff nonsense since they've only grown more in love with all their filler with every game they ship.
I guess Legendary Revolutions aren't built on one game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
While I agree for the most part that missions are usually pretty repetitive, I place the blame on simply because the game is primarily a first-person shooter. Single player campaigns in those kinds of games are usually always "run to the objective while shooting anything in your way".
True, but that's the difference between an average shooter campaign and a good one.

The most popular story mission in the first call of duty modern warfare was the sniper mission where you and an AI had to sneaked across enemy territory to take out a target. While it is still essentially a move to point and shoot mission, it switches things up a lot that nobody even thinks of it as that.

Again I believe the problem is streamlining- in this case they literally stream lined the mission to it's bare bones of "Move, Activate and Shoot"

Quote:
As for story or lore, I don't think it was intended to be a very important thing for this game in the first place. They still had the niceties to include the Grimoire Card system for those who are interested in such a thing though.
That is the case unfortunately, but I've accepted it.

However from what I've understood, they made the Grimore cards lore almost completely on another medium? That to me is quite baffling.

What me and Nighty were talking about though is story through environments or item descriptions or even enemy type placements. There's obviously some in the game, but it's not enough to get people interested.

Quote:
Not to mention Bungie is a company that has really only worked on one significant franchise in the past, that being Halo, so of course their strengths lie with the FPS genre and not RPG's.
That's also true, which is why I'm wondering why they never tried to get Blizzard's help on this- They're both under Activision after all.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 08:57   Link #145
Jaden

If Blizzard was making this, it would be released somewhere around 2017.
Old 2014-09-15, 15:24   Link #146
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

He Nailed it. =\ sadly

Old 2014-09-15, 16:16   Link #147
Newhope

Never seen dunk be so serious...
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-15, 16:56   Link #148
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I'm really glad I trusted my gut with this one, all my friends were hyped with pre-orders and such, but I held off because from the all the videos and PR I'd seen the game just seemed soulless and devoid of any character.

Also the real lack of any reviews on or just after release to me is a bit of tell tail sign that somethings amiss.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-16, 01:41   Link #149
Theo

Called it first page. Bungie thinks they're God's Gift to Gaming and now they reap what sow, not from work, but from ego.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-16, 02:42   Link #150
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The first Raid mission is available today, though it doesn't matter much you're not at least level 26 and don't have at least 5 friends on your friends list who will play with you, and I possess neither of of those requirements.
Old 2014-09-16, 03:53   Link #151
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

"Well at least this game looks pretty"

My only comment when I was watching someone stream Destiny. It's really a shame this turned out like it did, over-hyped like Watch Dogs and what's supposedly similar gameplay to Borderlands. People were trying to get me onto the hype train, but I've given up on hype trains when Rome 2: Total War came out.
Old 2014-09-16, 03:57   Link #152
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
If Blizzard was making this, it would be released somewhere around 2017.
It's been in planning and development for some 5 years since Reach, that long of a time they might as well get Activision to ask Blizzard for some advice or help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
He Nailed it. =\ sadly
The worst part for me is not that those are the flaws, the worst part is how easily and quickly those flaws were identified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I'm really glad I trusted my gut with this one, all my friends were hyped with pre-orders and such, but I held off because from the all the videos and PR I'd seen the game just seemed soulless and devoid of any character.

Also the real lack of any reviews on or just after release to me is a bit of tell tail sign that somethings amiss.
The Alpha and Beta really had good impressions for the most part- BUT it was also because they were Alpha and Beta that people assumed that it's not complete or they have features or content not included.

Turns out the Beta was EXACTLY what we got in the full game as well with nothing new added (besides the new planets) and that's why people are now rioting.

Quote:
The first Raid mission is available today, though it doesn't matter much you're not at least level 26 and don't have at least 5 friends on your friends list who will play with you, and I possess neither of of those requirements.
I'm worried that they'll just be bullet sponges as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
"Well at least this game looks pretty"

My only comment when I was watching someone stream Destiny. It's really a shame this turned out like it did, over-hyped like Watch Dogs and what's supposedly similar gameplay to Borderlands. People were trying to get me onto the hype train, but I've given up on hype trains when Rome 2: Total War came out.
Let's play Bloodborne and The Evil Within together Hooves !

Like I've said to the game's credit it actually does feel good when you're shooting stuff, but the moment you stopped you immediately realized all the problems.
Old 2014-09-16, 05:45   Link #153
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

bought it on ps3........everyone i know bought it on ps4...........im not buying a ps4 just for this game, for god sake its an online game bungie!!! wheres the damn general chat!!!!!! let me talk to plp to find a group!
Old 2014-09-16, 09:18   Link #154
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
If they wanted to do it like Dark Souls, they probably should have soap stones like Dark Souls.
Old 2014-09-16, 11:25   Link #155
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
I'm worried that they'll just be bullet sponges as well.
Probably, but aren't most MMO bosses only difficult because they hit hard and have a crap-ton of health?

Quote:
bought it on ps3........everyone i know bought it on ps4...........im not buying a ps4 just for this game, for god sake its an online game bungie!!!
I'm pretty sure PS3 and PS4 owners can play together since PSN is shared across all Sony systems.
Old 2014-09-16, 11:49   Link #156
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Probably, but aren't most MMO bosses only difficult because they hit hard and have a crap-ton of health?
Only the easy ones. The difficulty for most MMO bosses comes from their encounter mechanics and the raid party's communication.

Healers stand here, Tanks back face wall, Dps don't stand there, avoid this, run into that, kill who first, don't kill who till last, kite kite kite, dispell dispell dispell, at 75% boss does what, at 50% watch for new abilities, at 25% he's going to do what etc.

For now I'm looking at the stream and it's kinda okay-ish, at least there's something different that the party has to do.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure PS3 and PS4 owners can play together since PSN is shared across all Sony systems.
Actually all 4 consoles are separate I believe.

No cross gen or cross plat.
Old 2014-09-16, 12:23   Link #157
Newhope

Quote:
Most MMO raid bosses aren't like that, ones that are are usually to gear check raids to stop them if they're under geared.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-16, 13:24   Link #158
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Also because minions spawn when you least want them too, and they hit hard all the same. Boss + Minions = You're going to have a bad time.

Boss fights become a dance of death in which you balance dumping clips into the boss and taking care of his obnoxious minions, all the while trying not to get 1HKO'd by the boss somewhere in the arena.

To me it's exhilarating. :\
Old 2014-09-16, 13:56   Link #159
Bogart
Banned

Quote:
High dps has a way of trivializing some mechanics, usually when adds are involved. There are also time-limits where if the boss isn't dead, the raid will wipe. Then there are the soft-enrage mechanics where a stacking buff on a boss or the environment begins to change to increasingly unfavorable conditions will lead to a raid wipe.

MMOs have really pushed the envelope as far as demands of player performance goes. The best players in the world can pretty much be expected to juggle while standing on their heads and singing the national anthem. Backwards.
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-17, 05:39   Link #160
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Sounds like they made an MMO without community functions. I think i ll stick to Warframe for now, which is free and a lot more competent mechanically.