AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 24 27.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 35.63%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 14.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 19.54%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.15%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-13, 15:33   Link #81
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
Is it just me or are anime parents pretty lousy? Ui and Yui's parents are away constantly, I'm pretty sure if it were the real world Ui and Yui would of been taken away by child services by now, in the UK atleast theres a limit on how long you can leave a minor home alone before the goverment gets involved.

Clannad suffered from a similar problem, it has always annoyed me that Kotomi lived alone in her house after her parents died in a plane crash. This is despite the fact that she had a known legal gaurdian and the death of her parents were well publicised.

This leads me to one conclusion, Anime child services really sucks at their job.

Sorry, that has nothing to do with the episode which was quite frankly a disapointment, they tried to turn a 2 page joke into a 22 minute episode and it didnt work, k-on is at its best when it doesnt stick to the source material.
A bit off-topic, but basically teens are simply held to much higher level of personal responsibility in parts of Japan - though more often when a student is accepted to a high school too far from home, they'll rent space from a relative or family friend. Parents often have to travel for their work and rely on a network of "check in on them" neighbors. But basically, the teen should rise up to it since they're basically adults anyway. In Kotomi's case, she already had the trauma of losing parents... being jerked out of her school would be completely destabilizing in a collectivist society - transfer students do not usually fare well when trying to join "new herds".

Frankly, this was the case in the UK and the USA even when I was a kid, but its like some kind of "stupid idea" switch went off in the mid-80s to coddle and retard kids and delay the onset of personal responsibility longer and longer.

That all said, from an anime viewpoint - although Lucky*Star and others have shown parents are not a derail for a series, many writers simply take what I'll call the "Peanuts" route -- parents are in some other dimension and you only hear their little trumpet noises on occasion when they actually intrude on the world-bubble of the characters.
Old 2010-05-13, 16:52   Link #82
Eak
One angry cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roardel View Post
Because fans of this show don't want them to have boyfriends. K-ON!! is yuri/moe anime.
Totally.. Enraged fans would destroy DVDs/mangas in "protest" the moment one of the characters even mention a previous relationship... I wonder where I've heard this situation before... hmm.
Old 2010-05-14, 00:32   Link #83
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

"Himeko" is the first k-on character I find 'hot' rather than 'cute'. Too bad they gave her an unattractive voice, which means she'll never be anything more! Mua ha ha ha!
Old 2010-05-14, 01:03   Link #84
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
Is it just me or are anime parents pretty lousy? Ui and Yui's parents are away constantly, I'm pretty sure if it were the real world Ui and Yui would of been taken away by child services by now,
It's a matter of attitude. The Japanese think nothing of leaving kids as young as 3 alone for a while if they have to take care of business and have no one to look after them. Since Ui is self-sufficient enough take care of the home (and her sister) Their parents probably feel it's more than safe to leave the kids and do their own thing.
This was first pointed out in the Clannad A.S. 20 discussion and I pointed it out again in season 1 of this series.
While you're thinking, "their parents are awfully neglectful." when watching anime, the Japanese viewers are thinking, "I wish I had adventures like that while my parents weren't at home."
Old 2010-05-14, 02:33   Link #85
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eak View Post
Totally.. Enraged fans would destroy DVDs/mangas in "protest" the moment one of the characters even mention a previous relationship... I wonder where I've heard this situation before... hmm.
I end up saying this pretty much every time this comes up, but Kannagi had some of the highest Japanese market DVD sales of any anime released in 2008. That suggests to me a vocal minority raising hell more than anything else.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-05-14, 05:46   Link #86
Sparvid
*hic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
A bit off-topic, but basically teens are simply held to much higher level of personal responsibility in parts of Japan - though more often when a student is accepted to a high school too far from home, they'll rent space from a relative or family friend. Parents often have to travel for their work and rely on a network of "check in on them" neighbors. But basically, the teen should rise up to it since they're basically adults anyway. In Kotomi's case, she already had the trauma of losing parents... being jerked out of her school would be completely destabilizing in a collectivist society - transfer students do not usually fare well when trying to join "new herds".

Frankly, this was the case in the UK and the USA even when I was a kid, but its like some kind of "stupid idea" switch went off in the mid-80s to coddle and retard kids and delay the onset of personal responsibility longer and longer.

That all said, from an anime viewpoint - although Lucky*Star and others have shown parents are not a derail for a series, many writers simply take what I'll call the "Peanuts" route -- parents are in some other dimension and you only hear their little trumpet noises on occasion when they actually intrude on the world-bubble of the characters.
K-On is a quite mild example. Aside from the Hirasawa's, everybody else's parents seems to be present. They're just not shown on screen.

And it could be argued that we just happen to see the days when they're not home (for example, the first Christmas party wouldn't have been as funny if the parents were present, but who's to say that they weren't there the following year).

It's not like, say Minami-ke, where the parents never appear nor are mentioned.
Old 2010-05-14, 09:59   Link #87
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:

Yeah... when I was growing up 12 year-old girls were considered old enough to babysit, and 14 year-olds old enough to babysit overnight. I know my sisters did babysitting and stayed overnight.

Nobody thought it was strange.

And back then I'd go outside in the woods (starting at age 8) and play all day long. Usually just stopping back in at lunch and dinner. Hard to imagine parents letting their kids do that nowadays. Somehow the world has gotten messed up.

Of course when you come from a family of 5 kids and are the oldest you're used to watching out for the little ones- starting at a rather young age.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-05-14, 15:46   Link #88
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Watched Episode 6 and we know that rainy season sucks the most... but wait... Did I see some MugiVision somewhere? I swear this episode had some flying around... but yeah...

Found it funny that Mio finally names her bass by the end of the episode... I laughed...

Rating: 8.7/10
Old 2010-05-14, 19:09   Link #89
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

Azusa's jealousy of Gitah made me smile, she's such a cutie.

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Old 2010-05-14, 21:37   Link #90
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Lol love triangle? This season sure has a lot of Azusa/Yui moments .
That scene was great, and really cute for Azusa my favorite part of the episode it was funny too. Though I laughed pretty hard when Yui wore the maid outfit to homeroom xD.

Quote:
The Yui/Ui parents are apparently very happy people who trust their daughter(s) implicitly (rofl).
I hope I can have that kinda of trust in my children when/if I have them .
MAL
Old 2010-05-14, 22:24   Link #91
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I end up saying this pretty much every time this comes up, but Kannagi had some of the highest Japanese market DVD sales of any anime released in 2008. That suggests to me a vocal minority raising hell more than anything else.
It's funny. I watched Kannagi and don't remember anything that made me rage. I remember laughing so much in the beginning. All you need are loud voices, even if there are a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Emblem View Post
Azusa's jealousy of Gitah made me smile, she's such a cutie.
That was hilarious. She is a great character. I am thankful for the second season because she was only in part of the first.
Old 2010-05-14, 22:37   Link #92
Lime soda

I've grown to like Yui even though she's hard to take seriously but I could do with less Ui. I hope Ui gets less screentime cause her sisterly moments with Yui don't do much for me. Even though there aren't any gags or reminders on how mature or perfect she is this episode, I still dislike the way she acts and speaks.

I don't know how well this episode got adapted from the original but I thought it was alright. I never know what to expect from K-On but since there's no drama or villains, I can watch episodes like these with no problems. But, I was disappointed that Yui couldn't get to wear a cosplay outfit for the episode. I had my eye on that fancy school uniform on that rack, the one that looks like it's from a Bishoujo game.

And, If Mio would ever get a boyfriend, I wouldn't mind. No matter how boyish Ritsu might seem I only think of her as Mio's best friend. A romance between them doesn't seem right to me. Cause Mio's such a ideal girl in my eyes, it would be more wish fulfilling for me to see her with a guy instead of a girl.
Old 2010-05-14, 23:04   Link #93
Divini
Senpai!

Loved this episode. Was laughing for about half of it

- "Oneeeee-chaaan!" T_T
- "It's so hard to take off!" T_T
- "Azu-nyan are you jealous?"
- "....Battan..."
" "Elizabeth..." <3

... I wish I was Elizabeth.
Old 2010-05-15, 00:39   Link #94
OkamiNoKaze

This was funny episode, a bit on the mellow side. I think alot people wish they were Elizabeth or at least Gitah,
Old 2010-05-15, 01:02   Link #95
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

K-On!'s starting to feel bland to me now. It seems like it's just one crack joke after another. There's no coherency, really. I know the same is of Haruhi almost, and yet I really like Haruhi, so I'm kinda confused right now. :S
Old 2010-05-15, 01:22   Link #96
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

Keeping a guitar intoned... That is such a pain in variable weather.
Old 2010-05-15, 02:15   Link #97
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Watched Episode 6 and we know that rainy season sucks the most... but wait... Did I see some MugiVision somewhere? I swear this episode had some flying around... but yeah...
You know, this reminds me that actually there are more obvious scenes where our ojou turns on her Mugivision in the anime, than in the manga itself.

Although it has been hinted every now and then that she's constantly perceiving her club members' relationships in risque forms.

Quote:
Found it funny that Mio finally names her bass by the end of the episode... I laughed...
She's not what she is deep inside. For one, we may know that she likes racy lingerie in black or stripes.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-15, 07:52   Link #98
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
K-On!'s starting to feel bland to me now. It seems like it's just one crack joke after another. There's no coherency, really. I know the same is of Haruhi almost, and yet I really like Haruhi, so I'm kinda confused right now. :S
It's because it's a series about a band with no music, lol.
Old 2010-05-15, 23:15   Link #99
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Such a sweet end.....Elizabeth.
Old 2010-05-16, 00:24   Link #100
wingman32x

Haha, I freakin love how Yui treats Gitah better than herself lol. It was funny seeing her in a maid outfit, and it was damn funny the way she said no when Sawa-chan tried to take the sweatpants off. Oh, and what she said when Mugi poured the hot water into the bucket. Yui was downright hilarious this episode. I can tell Azusa is really enthusiastic about guitar, buying all of those weird tools. Azu-nyan was so cute! Getting jelous over Gitah. Mio was also cute at the end of the episode. So her guitar is Elizabeth. A good name I guess.

This episode gets an 8/10.
Closed Thread