Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-17, 04:25   Link #141
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
It could also be spelled Tōru. The vowel is a Japanese long "o", which is pronounced like an elongated short "o". I prefer "Tooru", since that is the way to write it when you are entering Japanese on the computer. Windows can convert that to Japanese writing.
Not really, トル is pronounced TO-ORU. In contrast Touru, Tohru, and Tōru should be written トル and pronounced with one long o.

Generally, a consonant+vowel, followed by the same vowel makes both vowels pronounced as a long one, but in case of long o (oh, or ō) it is written as -o + u, i.e. followed by u not a o.

Now there are exceptions, usually marked with ', for example 胃之上(いのうえ), pronounced (Ino'ue, not Inōe, Inoue, or Inoh'e); so in the case of Tooru versus Touru, since oo is not a long o (like ou, oh, or ō) the ' is not used.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 08:51   Link #142
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

I hate when fans of one show blame another for airing at the same time--but I can understand their frustration. If anyone, you can point fingers at the execs of the network airing A-Channel; they should've guessed that the House that Haruhi Built's latest effort would generate a lot of buzz, and might take away some viewers. Just like the exec for whichever network scheduled shows in the same time slot as, say, Glee.

I don't watch any of the big American live-action sitcoms (I'm more into Fox's animation and the Discovery and History Channels and their sister channels), so correct me if I'm wrong here.

But anyway, the point is that both shows have their own merits, are taking different approaches to comedy as Kaoru pointed out, and each should be judged on their own terms.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 18:50   Link #143
broken270
Defying gravity

Spoiler:
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 20:38   Link #144
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Not really, トル is pronounced TO-ORU. In contrast Touru, Tohru, and Tōru should be written トル and pronounced with one long o.

Generally, a consonant+vowel, followed by the same vowel makes both vowels pronounced as a long one, but in case of long o (oh, or ō) it is written as -o + u, i.e. followed by u not a o.

Now there are exceptions, usually marked with ', for example 胃之上(いのうえ), pronounced (Ino'ue, not Inōe, Inoue, or Inoh'e); so in the case of Tooru versus Touru, since oo is not a long o (like ou, oh, or ō) the ' is not used.
Thanks for the info. So "Tooru" is actually the correct romanized spelling here, not just the most convenient? Would "Tooru" and "Touru" sound different when spoken?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 21:08   Link #145
tyciol
*Artist

It looks like MSPN-Fansubs' 3 promos are down. It's a shame as I was hoping to preview this first. But it's rori so I'll watch it eventuarry.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 21:40   Link #146
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Thanks for the info. So "Tooru" is actually the correct romanized spelling here, not just the most convenient? Would "Tooru" and "Touru" sound different when spoken?
トル (toru) -> normal 'o'
トオル (tooru) -> halt exhaling between the two 'o'
トウル (touru) -> long 'o'

But for me it is very hard to tell the difference (my native language hasn't any more long vowels), so you're better off asking either a native speaker or someone who studies japanese seriously, I do it just for fun.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 21:44   Link #147
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
トル (toru) -> normal 'o'
トオル (tooru) -> halt exhaling between the two 'o'
トウル (touru) -> long 'o'

But for me it is very hard to tell the difference (my native language hasn't any more long vowels), so you're better off asking either a native speaker or someone who studies japanese seriously, I do it just for fun.
So far as I know there is no difference in how the long o is pronounced whether it's written おお or おう. The only time there would be a difference is if the う is a verb ending, and not a vowel extender; the verb 拾う (ひろう) would thus not be pronounced like ひろお.
Old 2011-04-18, 01:22   Link #148
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I'm not really getting into A Channel. A character like Run is just too far off in her own world to be endearing for me, and I'm not really feeling the jokes come through. I think I get a sense of dissonance from the more realistic art direction for the setting versus the more simply fleshed out character design.

... It also lacks a strong tsukkomi character IMO.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 03:40   Link #149
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I'm not really getting into A Channel. A character like Run is just too far off in her own world to be endearing for me, and I'm not really feeling the jokes come through. I think I get a sense of dissonance from the more realistic art direction for the setting versus the more simply fleshed out character design.

... It also lacks a strong tsukkomi character IMO.
I feel the same about Run though I also thought she was better in ep 2 than 1, as were the jokes. As far as character design I'm still adjusting but Yuuko's face bugs me >.> As far as the lack of Tsukkomi I didn't think of that before but now that i do, a lot of the jokes do seem to just slide away.

In any case as I have previously stated about the second ep, I am still continuing this and will see where it goes. Its a type of show I like so some hijinks will be forgiven
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 17:05   Link #150
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
...A character like Run is just too far off in her own world to be endearing for me.... It also lacks a strong tsukkomi character IMO.
The fact that Run is way out there -- or really way in there, lol -- is part of what I like about her and the show. I don't need her to be realistic or someone to emulate. But I can see why one might feel differently. She is amazingly loopy.

Why do we need a tsukkomi character? Are you really asking for this to be more formulaic? The crazy Tooru is like a wonderful anti-tsukkomi, following along and sweeping up Run's messes, rather than pointing them out. The humor is better without having to bash people with a harisen to make them get it. I much prefer the jokes to just "slide away," to quote Silverwyrm.

It's amusing to realize that Tooru is not just crazy jealous over Run, but realizes Run can wander off into trouble at any moment, and that someone needs to protect her from herself at all times.

Anyway, despite the fact I feel differently, I appreciate hearing details of another view.

I have to add that I thought ep3 of Nichijou was hilarious. The characters are much less interesting to me than these, but the humor is stronger and clearer. Each show has its strengths.

I used to be bothered by Yuuko's weird character design, but I'm loving it now. It's charmingly off, like her weird accent.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-04-18, 17:16   Link #151
Silverwyrm

Quote:

Why do we need a tsukkomi character? Are you really asking for this to be more formulaic? The crazy Tooru is like a wonderful anti-tsukkomi, following along and sweeping up Run's messes, rather than pointing them out. The humor is better without having to bash people with a harisen to make them get it. I much prefer the jokes to just "slide away," to quote Silverwyrm.
I wouldn't say I necessarily want a "strong tsukkomi", I'm still waiting to see more of how this goes in the third episode and how I adjust. A lot of the comedies I've been watching have a fast punchline at the end and this contrasts largely with what I've been seeing. So I feel in part I need to let this show's method settle in to appreciate it more, as I fell into a mindset of "this is how it should be done". Perhaps this may be what some others need to do or consider as well? It's easy to fall into a habit.
Old 2011-04-18, 19:17   Link #152
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
I think having tsukkomi characters helps to outline jokes and give it a degree of separation from cute girls doing cute/quirky things. Nagi does it to some extent but she's very laid back most of the time. I'm still sorting out my impression of Tooru , but having her as an anti-tsukkomi is interesting. I never really thought about it that way.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 13:27   Link #153
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Ep1:

Awesome. I'm glad I found this show; this fills my K-on void much better than Nichijou. Mugi doing Kyoto-ben (I think) and a Yui-like girl that's even worse than Yui? SOLD! (Plus, three different songs in one episode? Nuff said)

Ep2:

Tooru's adorable. That freaking ringtone

Last edited by ID555; 2011-04-19 at 14:34.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 13:27   Link #154
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for A Channel 03 - A Child:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 13:48   Link #155
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep3 is my favorite so far. There were even a couple of laugh-out-loud moments to go with a heightened overall feeling of delightful humorous tension. And Yuuki Aoi may not be a great singer, but she does the insert song brilliantly. One more talent to chalk up to Ao-hime.
Old 2011-04-21, 14:26   Link #156
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
Ep1:

Awesome. I'm glad I found this show; this fills my K-on void much better than Nichijou. Mugi doing Kyoto-ben (I think) and a Yui-like girl that's even worse than Yui? SOLD! (Plus, three different songs in one episode? Nuff said)

Ep2:

Tooru's adorable. That freaking ringtone
Nichijou is a different world than K-ON, so I imagine it wouldn't fill that void

Well if ep3 is as good as I'm seeing here, I'll be keeping this show myself.
Old 2011-04-21, 22:44   Link #157
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Does anyone else think the OP song sounds like something by the Cranberries?

Great episode! I like how they're revealing more of Nagi...she may not say much, but you wouldn't like her when she's angry.

And how about Daisuke Ono rechanneling his creepy side as a pervert teacher? (I've thought that if they ever dubbed Minami-ke, Billy West might make a good Hosaka with his Zapp Brannigan voice from Futurama. If you could cast the dub for A-Channel, who would you pick as Sato-sensei?)

And lastly, I think with one new intro song per episode, this show may actually have more music per capita than K-On.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 00:57   Link #158
Kagayaki

I guess you could call Run a boke and Nagi a tsukkomi, like in the iPod scene, where Run is being a airhead as usual and Nagi calls her out on it. However, a lot of manzai style jokes run completely off of the ridiculousness of the boke. Instead, a lot of the fun in this scene felt like it was coming from both characters.

That sort of spreading the attention around is something this show seems to do well. The comedy almost never comes from only one character at a time. Instead, it's the interaction between the characters that's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Great episode! I like how they're revealing more of Nagi...she may not say much, but you wouldn't like her when she's angry.
Angry Nagi is the best
Old 2011-04-22, 01:03   Link #159
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

When I saw the seen with Run and her ipod and then the last seen I was like I couldn't have saw her doing that and Nagi's reactions to it was great, and so was it again to Run's not having a computer I laughed pretty hard . I agree with Yuuko that teacher seems a bit creepy/dangerous . Overall the episode was pretty funny and enjoyable, I'll probably be keeping this series.

Quote:
And Yuuki Aoi may not be a great singer, but she does the insert song brilliantly. One more talent to chalk up to Ao-hime.
I agree it was quite a good insert song .

P.S. is there going to be a single CD for all these randoms ala the way Seitokai no Ichizon did[possible with the ED], or these songs are part of to be character songs CDs?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 05:30   Link #160
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I agree with Yuuko that teacher seems a bit creepy/dangerous .
Wearing that shirt, absolutely!

Let's hope that no one gets him to sing about curry!
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, manga time kirara, school life, seinen, slice of life