AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-10-29, 21:40   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Generally, storms that stall in the Gulf intensify, its like an energy source of warm water and planetary spin.
Old 2012-10-29, 21:41   Link #22
LeoXiao
思想工作

I really hope it's over by early November. My mom and I are going to Virginia for my grandfather's 80th birthday and it would suck if we were delayed or something.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 21:44   Link #23
Alchemist007
*Author

I can't believe there's a thread about this in every forum I visit. It's only a bloody category 1 right? I'm right in middle of it now, that one wave of severe storms that hit a couple months ago was worse than this! I guess it's just getting headlines because of the wider area it covers. Also this isn't anywhere near as powerful or potent as Katrina.
Old 2012-10-29, 21:50   Link #24
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

It's getting attention because:

A.) It's hitting an area that has little idea how to manage it.

B.) It's a super rare hurricane/nor'easter hybrid with a massive wind field. Basically, it's another Perfect Storm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Perfect_Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Generally, storms that stall in the Gulf intensify, its like an energy source of warm water and planetary spin.
I know about the Loop Current in the Gulf, and I'm not an expert, but I think that a stalled storm in the Gulf would intensify to a strong Category 3 then meander in strength for as long as it sits. Cat 5 needs consistently perfect conditions to form and maintain, and most Cat 5's I've witnessed were moving at a consistent pace.

Last edited by Dilla; 2012-10-29 at 22:01.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 21:57   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm interested from an engineering perspective in:
1) Damage to over-built or misbuilt coastal areas (e.g. no stilts, no surge mitigation)
2) How long the under-staffed power companies take to rebuild the power grid (since skeleton staffing and deferring risk mitigation projects are the rule).
3) How much NYC infrastructure is damaged since it has deferred mitigation of rising water issues. The pictures of the water flooding into subways are a little surreal (as are the street cruising sharks ).
Old 2012-10-29, 22:17   Link #26
Alchemist007
*Author

The Day After Tomorrow is what those pics reminded me of.
Old 2012-10-29, 22:36   Link #27
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So I'm not the only one who isn't too concerned with this storm; technically, I'm still in the area where it hits (I'm on the western side of NY, on one of the Great Lakes), but so far, it's been mostly just a lot of wind and rain. As a joke among a few people is going: sure, we're going to get 80 mph winds and heavy rain, but that's still just another day in this city (where high winds are rather prevalent at times)

I'll start getting more impressed by weather when Nor'Easters are predicted in the following months; meanwhile, this is just an excuse for class cancellations (though I'm not exactly complaining...)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 22:39   Link #28
Strygwyr
Attention Queen killer.
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I can't believe there's a thread about this in every forum I visit. It's only a bloody category 1 right?
Not everyone has the luxury like you. In my real location somewhere in the east coast a crane and a roof have collapsed and a city where the water is the same height as buses. who is trying to compare this to katrina? this hurricane still costs a state millions of $$$$. so much for a catagory 1.

Last edited by Strygwyr; 2012-10-29 at 22:56.
Strygwyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 22:46   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The HMS Bounty replica tall ship is gone, went down while they were trying to sail it away - 14 survivors, two presumed dead.

Power plant exploding .... didn't turn that one off fast enough i guess. Nothing like the smell of transformers in the morning ...

http://elitedaily.com/elite/2012/con...es-york-video/

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-10-29 at 23:03.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 23:16   Link #30
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Blizzard conditions in WV. 14+ inches of snow in some areas and no signs of stopping.

Atlantic City, NJ is underwater and some of the Boardwalk is gone.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 23:24   Link #31
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
The Day After Tomorrow is what those pics reminded me of.
'cause the storms in that movie were even bigger. And this storm is larger than normal. So, the association is right there.

Also, LOL:

Spoiler:

BOSS
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 23:52   Link #32
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygwyr View Post
Not everyone has the luxury like you. In my real location somewhere in the east coast a crane and a roof have collapsed and a city where the water is the same height as buses. who is trying to compare this to katrina? this hurricane still costs a state millions of $$$$. so much for a catagory 1.
When a simple line of severe storms have done worse to your state, a hurricane doing relatively squat around here getting much more attention makes one scratch their head.

ed: This may have sounded insensitive to places that were actually hit hard, I just meant that people and the local news here were making it out to be crazier than I thought it should be. But the stat of 8 million in total without power is pretty encompassing.

Last edited by Alchemist007; 2012-10-30 at 16:15.
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 01:24   Link #33
AnimeFan188

The Design Margin:

"When storms disrupt utilities as they have done in New York City it is always good
to have a few things in stock. Some canned goods in the cupboard. Maybe the
hated Spam and baked beans. A stock of ordinary candles and matches are in order
as are 25 gallons or so of drinking water. A full bathtub of water for flushing the
toilet in case the water pressure fails would be good. And one or more flashlights,
preferably with some spare batteries."

"Storms are a good time to remember how slender is the margin on which
civilization is built. Today’s miraculous cities are a going concern. Once they stop
working they die. Millions of people are literally totally dependent on the grid and
can survive outside it only for brief periods. Most households could not subsist for
more than a month without steady deliveries of food, the refrigeration to
preserve it and the continuous supply of potable water."

See:

http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/...design-margin/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 01:28   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Don't forget the water heater is also a water storage backup. Yeah, it is tasty metal :P but its emergency water.

We live outside the metro area a mile or so -- we try to keep 3-4 months of food handy and rotate through it (in case we get a tectonic slamdunk) as well as other "useful zombie invasion" items.
Old 2012-10-30, 02:39   Link #35
Kyuu
=^^=

Holy Mathematical Batman!

Spoiler:

And I feel retarded for not knowing that spiral -- even though I should.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 03:20   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Fibonacci curve, identical to the pattern of growth of some seashell creatures. Nature likes to take simple rules and just apply them recursively (or fractally or in a nonlinear expansion).

Fibonacci mathematics is one of those "makes the hair on your neck stand up" areas of mathematics when you keep finding it as a natural expression in complex natural systems.
Old 2012-10-30, 04:59   Link #37
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Fibonacci curve, identical to the pattern of growth of some seashell creatures. Nature likes to take simple rules and just apply them recursively (or fractally or in a nonlinear expansion).

Fibonacci mathematics is one of those "makes the hair on your neck stand up" areas of mathematics when you keep finding it as a natural expression in complex natural systems.
I need to find a test subject on that, but unfortunately :

We are experiencing technical difficulties
The full MarketWatch site will return shortly.

One more thing :

Salute.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2012-10-30 at 05:24.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 06:19   Link #38
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

dramatic explosion at Manhattan power plant plunges millions into darkness

Quote:
Hurricane Sandy gave New York a historic drenching Monday as the record storm surge overtook the city's waterfront area in Lower Manhattan at Battery Park.
In an attempt to lessen damage from saltwater to the subway system and the electrical network beneath the city's financial district, New York City's main utility cut power to about 6,500 customers in lower Manhattan.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-darkness.html

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 06:35   Link #39
JokerD

How's the drainage system holding up? I understand that part of the reason Katrina did so much damage for so long is that the levees can hold water out but can't drain them if they got in.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 07:58   Link #40
winterbaby
вelιnda

Last night there were on and off power outages. In Jersey, there 50 houses on fire, I think it was there. I was very amazed to find the crane on a building swaying back and forth. I very amazed to find that the crane didn't even fall yet this morning. This is probably the first time that I ever heard of New York public schools closed for two days straight because of a natural disaster!!

Tags
frankenstorm, hurricane, sandy