AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-11, 00:00   Link #21
LeoXiao
思想工作

Oh wait, the request was for anime series? Oops.
Old 2008-12-11, 01:31   Link #22
Z3120

I 2nd the suggestion to Hikaru no Go. I think it's pretty suitable for a 6 year old. Hell, your child might even want to take up Go. It's a nice comedy, fantasy and drama. Not sure if it's being aired or streamed now by Cartoon Network or Toonami/Jetstream (I forgot really) respectively.
Old 2008-12-11, 03:23   Link #23
ninpo

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, you have been very helpful.

No longer let my son watch One peice, my wife had a quick look at later episodes and has put her foot down :-) , its inappropriate really for him now.

So watching Ulysses 31 together at the moment and he loves it until I can find an anime thats to his liking.

p.s. many apologies for posting this to the wrong thread.
Old 2008-12-11, 05:20   Link #24
signorRossi

After seeing the recommendation for Heidi i remembered "Wickie und die starken Männer", I liked it a lot when I was small. "Biene Maya" is another memory from my childhood.
Wickie
Biene Maya

SignorRossi.
Old 2008-12-11, 11:32   Link #25
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I forgot one other show that might fit the bill, Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu, released in R1 with the tltle "Tweeny Witches." Beautifully produced by Studio 4°C, this is a rather dark mahou shoujo fantasy about a girl, Alice, who wishes magic was real, then is mysteriously transported to a world where magic is real. Unfortunately while Alice wants magic to be used only for good and happiness, the mages in this world use it for darker purposes. This show was definitely produced for young children. The episodes are only ten minutes long, and they all include a recap at the beginning in case the child forgot what happened in the last show.

Also if you happen to get the Funimation cable channel, both School Rumble and Hare+Guu are shown there daily.
Old 2008-12-11, 12:49   Link #26
Shadow Kira01

I will add more to the list:

A Penguin's Troubles
Anpanman
Ape Escape
Beyblade
Blue Dragon
Bomberman Jetters
Brave Story
Care Bears
Chi's Sweet Home
Chocolate Underground
Chrono Trigger
Deltora Quest
Doraemon
Final Fantasy: Unlimited
Fireball
Inazuma Eleven
Legendz: Tale of the Dragon Kings
Maple Story
Megaman: NT Warrior
Megaman Star Force
Net Ghost Pipopa
Onmyou Tai Senki
Sailor Moon
Stitch!
The Ultraman
Transformers Energon
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Zoids

Most of these anime are interesting to a 6 year old, but since you will be watching it with him, I hope its not that boring.. (laugh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Miyazaki's films are generally good for kids (the more famous ones). Have your son watch Grave of the Fireflies; it's sad but at the same time very insightful. Then watch something happier.
Grave of the Fireflies is a great one, but for a 6 year old, it might be too boring since a young child would have no clue what's going on. Generally, it is a post-war drama type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
I wouldn't recommend Meitantei conan. Way too violent for a 6 year old.
I'll add in Hayate no Gotoku . They sometimes make fun of the over-self censorship or ridiculousness of it all. A true anime fan will appreciate it for its various references but its still overall a very enjoyable harmless comedy. Seconding classics like pokemon, digimon, and doremon
Really? In that case, remove Meitantei Conan (to be honest, I haven't watch the anime before) and add Hayate no Gotoku. I also haven't watch that one yet.
Old 2008-12-12, 07:59   Link #27
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
bible black....er jk
maybe Mythical sleuth loki, samurai pizza cats, crayon shin chan, humanoid ben,yugi-oh,slayers, digimon and those kind of stuff... cant tell for sure about digimon but my lil cousins watch it so i guess its ok.
im not the best person to make suggestions lol since i like mostly seinen....
Old 2008-12-12, 09:50   Link #28
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Harmless, huh?

Speaking of World Masterpiece Theater productions, I personally recommend the most famous piece from it, Akage no Anne, known in the Anglo world as Anne of Green Gables, a children's book.

Moreover, many Magical Girl shows -- at least the ones that didn't pander too much to the "periphery demographic" *cough* -- are made for children. Although your young boy might not appreciate girly fares, it's worth a try. Cardcaptor Sakura, may be? It has relationships that social conservatives might find distasteful (it's CLAMP, hey), but it's the same level of "distasteful" as "Heather Has Two Mommies" might be; that is to say, the child shouldn't care or even notice (it's subtle), while bigoted adults freak out.

Or may be, I dunno, Sugar Sugar Rune, or Sailor Moon! Hahaha.
Old 2008-12-12, 10:03   Link #29
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Please, do not show Crayon Shin-chan to your son, unless you wanna give him examples of really bad child behavior. It's a funny show, but I wouldn't show it to my kids before a certain age.

Old 2008-12-12, 11:24   Link #30
Miki7
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ The shoujo ♥

Send a message via MSN to Miki7
Maybe shin chan and doraemon
Old 2008-12-12, 20:05   Link #31
mit7059

I'd agree with Pokemon, Monster Rancher and Digimon. Dragonball Z would probably be fine too.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2008-12-13, 13:20   Link #32
petran79
out of touch with anime

You could show him some educative series as well.

Though it is probably difficult to find the series in English as they're not aired anymore but maybe you can find some VHS tapes.

Technically they're more like Euro-Japanese co-productions but they were animated in Japan by Eiken. 26 episodes, they cover various topics but the most known of them are:

Once upon a time....Man (1978)
Once upon a time.....Life (1989)

the first is one of the best educational series about the history of civilization (western mainly).

the second teaches about the human body in a very unique way, depicting elements of the body like viruses and blood corpuscles as animated characters and their adventures as well. It also takes place in the real world outside the body, showing how the actions of the persons affect their organism.

Those series are gems for the younger viewers.
Old 2008-12-13, 13:30   Link #33
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
i forgot this one Poporokuroisu Monogatari...looks about right for a 6 year old.
Old 2008-12-15, 21:21   Link #34
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawgers View Post
Well, most of the shows mentioned above I would not show to an 6 year old. Only Anime series that I've ever seen that may be appropriate for his/her age is Heidi. I have only seen the spanish dubs, and I'm not sure if their is an english dub. Overall it is not the greatest series, but it is appropriate for all ages. It is about a girl living with her grandfather in the alps, and the girl goes through many adventures.
that is a good mention! that reminds me of other shows I used to watch as a kid, our country had tons of series like that, I'll list up some for you I'm certain you'll like them!

Ahiru no Quack
^this was one of my favs when I was a kid!

Nobody's Boy - Remi

Mori no Youki na Kobito-tachi: Berufi to Rirubitto AKA Little Bits

and also the Moonim!

these are all shows I watched when I was about 6-8, I'm certain you can approve them, there is no violence in them or anything like that

edit:

adding also work this guy was involved with
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...le.php?id=5466

there are quite a few good shows in that list such as Peter Pan,Swiss Family Robinson
All approved for all ages

edit 2: also adding this show which is hilarious I even find it funny at my age now ha ha
Ox tales

Don-Don Domel to Ron

Barbapapa

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2008-12-15 at 21:37.
Old 2008-12-15, 23:26   Link #35
saifgames

the top three i know are:
bobobo: comedy
the law of ueki: action
and ramen fighter miki: comedy, slice of life
Old 2008-12-15, 23:48   Link #36
MuraKami
Phase Angle

I had some success with Marchen Awakens Romance, beside Brave Story, and Oseam.
Closed Thread

Tags
children