AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-10, 14:47   Link #521
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It's really Fujiwara's group that does it for me... they want to give humanity its free will back.

If that's not noble I don't know what is.
Old 2009-08-10, 14:56   Link #522
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's really Fujiwara's group that does it for me... they want to give humanity its free will back.

If that's not noble I don't know what is.
Also interesting that, while he's not the most dangerous of the anti-SOS, he's the most hated by Kyon, lending more weight to the 'everyone picked the exact wrong people to represent them' portion.
Old 2009-08-10, 14:57   Link #523
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Also interesting that, while he's not the most dangerous of the anti-SOS, he's the most hated by Kyon, lending more weight to the 'everyone picked the exact wrong people to represent them' portion.
Indeed. Although, if they hadn't kidnapped Mikuru, Kyon might tolerate him a bit more.

...They probably should have gotten a hot woman instead, knowing Kyon...
Old 2009-08-10, 15:27   Link #524
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
I disagree. Sure, there are great benefits for being romantically involved, but there's a flipside to the coin. Would you be willing to handle the repurcussions of Haruhi, a teenaged girl, having a bad fight with her boyfriend? I think it's much safer to keep her single.
I disagree. In most relationships (certainly in any healthy relationship), there is empathy and power sharing - two qualities that Haruhi could really use to adapt herself to. A relationship could very well take some of the rougher edges off of Haruhi, and make her a more well-balanced and hence ultimately stable person. Sure, there's likely to be a few bad fights along the way, but the end result would definitely be worth it, in my mind.

Also, if its Kyon... do you think that Kyon is capable of giving Haruhi a bad fight? Even in "the dream", his words were never particularly harsh towards her whatsoever.

Edit: In fairness to you, though, I'll say this - if Haruhi was to actually get dumped by a long-standing boyfriend, that could be disastrous. Anybody who becomes her boyfriend for more than a month is basically going to have to stay that as long as Haruhi wants him as that... or the world's in jeopardy.

Quote:

...Yeah, I can see this happening. It's so Kyon.
Glad you liked it.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-08-10 at 16:02.
Old 2009-08-10, 15:28   Link #525
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
To be honest... for all we know, Fujiwara could very well be the only member of his "group."
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-10, 15:59   Link #526
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
To be honest... for all we know, Fujiwara could very well be the only member of his "group."
True... the only other time traveler he appears to know is Big Mikuru...
Old 2009-08-10, 17:13   Link #527
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
... Ever consider the possibility that the Canopy Domain wanted to see if the Brigade could make it out without outside help? In her first infodump of the series, Nagato stated the Data-whatever was already interested in humans before Haruhi came along and sent out that universal flare of hers. Is it really hard to believe that another data-based group of aliens would be interested, as well? Nagato's problems could have been designed so she couldn't just cheat their way out.
Actually, no, I never considered it. Yeah, possible. Kuyou is the most misteryous of the anti-SOS. We don't have any idea of what she wants.

Quote:
Of course, perhaps I'm giving Nagato's designated antagonists a little too much credit here.
Oh, that too. But I liked your theory.

Quote:
If that was true Mikuru would have gotten Kyon, not Haruhi. Unless she's a masochist, I doubt she has much interest in Haruhi...
Maybe whoever set that way missunderstand? Being Nagato or the Canopy Domain, neither has enough social skils, they might have made a mistake. (or Mikuru is, indeed a lesbian masochist )

Quote:
Hmm. Before Kyon meets Sasaki for the second time in Vol. 9, Koizumi mentions that he noticed something about her... as though she was being trailed by light, or something like that.

So, even if she wasn't god-powered at that point, there was definitely something special about her. Unless it's Haruhi's powers at work, or something like that. You'd think Koizumi would recognize that though.

He also said Kyon have many 'intersting' friends. Maybe he was not speaking about Sasaki, but who knows?

Quote:
This reminds me of the theory that the original three groups are, in fact, the bad guys, (though their representatives are good) and the antagonist groups the good guys, although their representatives are, uh, not the best of people.
I like ths theory. Of the three orignal groups, 2 prove theirselfs as bastard (Data something and Time Travelers). And I franckly never trust a organization that monitor the protagonist too much. They are always evil.

Still, even if the anti-SOS are 'good guys' with noble goals, they are still a group of bastard.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-08-10 at 18:10.
Old 2009-08-10, 18:01   Link #528
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Well... technically speaking, Kuyoh hasn't done anything bad yet... aside from maybe doing something to Kimidori, it's kinda hard to tell exactly what happened there.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-10, 18:12   Link #529
Heatth

Quote:
Well... technically speaking, Kuyoh hasn't done anything bad yet... aside from maybe doing something to Kimidori, it's kinda hard to tell exactly what happened there.
But were her bosses that trapped then on the Snow Mountain right? We only know her, sho is easy to assume this was her doing as well.

Also, Nagato sickness. Is hard to think someone els who could have done something similar.
Old 2009-08-10, 19:02   Link #530
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Would it be possible that the fake SOS-dan visitors were created by the Canopy Domain but Yuki was able to manipulate the pattern so that it presented both a clue and a warning?
Old 2009-08-10, 20:43   Link #531
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I disagree. In most relationships (certainly in any healthy relationship), there is empathy and power sharing - two qualities that Haruhi could really use to adapt herself to. A relationship could very well take some of the rougher edges off of Haruhi, and make her a more well-balanced and hence ultimately stable person. Sure, there's likely to be a few bad fights along the way, but the end result would definitely be worth it, in my mind.

Also, if its Kyon... do you think that Kyon is capable of giving Haruhi a bad fight? Even in "the dream", his words were never particularly harsh towards her whatsoever.

Edit: In fairness to you, though, I'll say this - if Haruhi was to actually get dumped by a long-standing boyfriend, that could be disastrous. Anybody who becomes her boyfriend for more than a month is basically going to have to stay that as long as Haruhi wants him as that... or the world's in jeopardy.

Glad you liked it.
*smiles* and gives two thumbs up

even if you had to cop an ear full from her every once in a while it would be totally worth it
Old 2009-08-10, 20:45   Link #532
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

If Haruhi were to be dumped period, there'd be a problem. Keep in mind that her relationships all ended with her dumping the guy.
Old 2009-08-11, 00:45   Link #533
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
What if ultimately, Haruhi uses her powers to do something like E8 but where everything is reset? REAAAALLY random thought...

Also, we can't really judge the Anti-SOS quite yet. They are trying to appeal to Kyon as of now, so what we know could only be the superficial goals of each Anti-SOS organization. The fact that questions about the motives of each of the SOS organizations have been raised to a greater extent helps us understand, in part, the actual motives of the organizations. For all we know, the slider, Sasaki and Haruhi could be the "good" guys, the SOS organizations the "bad," and the Anti-SOS the "worse"...

The slider-Sasaki-Haruhi thing was quite random... But my point is that we really don't have enough information on the Anti-SOS to make a well-informed judgement.

Still, The wrong reps thing with the SOS bad and A-SOS good thing does probably hold truth in it...

There's my monthly rant.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
Old 2009-08-12, 03:34   Link #534
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
What if ultimately, Haruhi uses her powers to do something like E8 but where everything is reset? REAAAALLY random thought...
Kyon actually ponders this thought in the 8th novel, when Haruhi was helping him pass his exams. He figured that if he didn't pass them that there would be a high chance that the whole year would reset. Luckily, Haruhi was an awesome "Super Instructor," and Kyon was able to pass his exams.

Now I have a question. More than once, Kyon brings up the fact that he had a crush on his cousin and that she broke his heart when she got a boyfriend. I can't help but wonder if this'll become a relavant plot point later on. At the very least, I suspect that it might have something to do with why he doesn't want to acknowledge Haruhi as a potential girlfriend (but that's another theory). What do you guys think?
Old 2009-08-12, 04:03   Link #535
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
Now I have a question. More than once, Kyon brings up the fact that he had a crush on his cousin and that she broke his heart when she got a boyfriend. I can't help but wonder if this'll become a relavant plot point later on. At the very least, I suspect that it might have something to do with why he doesn't want to acknowledge Haruhi as a potential girlfriend (but that's another theory). What do you guys think?
After 8 books giving hints he had a girlfriend/very close friend, we got Sasaki... Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if anyone he mentioned from his past appear for something. Including his ant who gave him his nickname (probably for a plot related to his name).

But I don't remember this cousing. Where she is mentioned?
Old 2009-08-12, 04:18   Link #536
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

She was mentioned once in Disappearance and once in Indignation. Kyon recalls the experience of heartbreak he felt to be "somewhat traumatic." He also mentions that his cousin was his first love.

And to note in Japan, being with your cousin is not as taboo as it is in most western countries. It wouldn't be fair to think that Kyon was sick or anything for crushing on his cousin.
Old 2009-08-12, 06:45   Link #537
kniteowl

^ taboo as in illegal or taboo as in frowned upon?

I know in my country it's legal to marry your cousin lol.

Here's an idea for thought.

What if Slider-tan from dissociation is actually Kyon's cousin from an alternate world (instead of the theory that it's his sister that's the the silder which seems a bit off) since we don't know how old his cousin actually is.

Although I get the feeling that his crush for his cousin was for an older girl, at least significantly old enough to be interested in boys for a romantic relationship, by the way I'm also assuming Kyon is talking about his crush as if it happened a long time ago, how long ago is up for debate.

But it'd be interesting if his cousin that he had a crush upon was 1 year younger then him and was the slider but then again if we were to also assume that the girl on the phone and the new potential SOS brigade member are the same person, why didn't Kyon recognize her?

You think Kyon owuld remember the face of his 1st crush assuming she was his first crush lol.
Old 2009-08-12, 08:12   Link #538
A. Esbee
Suffused with Sound

Quote:
But it'd be interesting if his cousin that he had a crush upon was 1 year younger then him and was the slider but then again if we were to also assume that the girl on the phone and the new potential SOS brigade member are the same person, why didn't Kyon recognize her?
If she is in his universe a fair bit older than him, but in the other universe for some reason younger than him, that could explain it. Her voice and way of speaking might be the same, but he might not recognize her physically.

If you're looking for fic ...
LJ FFN
Old 2009-08-12, 09:37   Link #539
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

It would be really interesting to see his reaction to finding out that it's her. And if Haruhi found out that he used to have a crush on her... well, her reaction to Sasaki would be considered relatively mild I'm certain. >_>
Old 2009-08-12, 13:05   Link #540
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
That might have something to do with it, yeah. She didn't just get a boyfriend though, she eloped with him after graduating high school. Kyon hasn't seen her since.

Also said cousin's name is Nayuki Minase.

Quote:
She was mentioned once in Disappearance and once in Indignation. Kyon recalls the experience of heartbreak he felt to be "somewhat traumatic." He also mentions that his cousin was his first love.
She's mentioned in Melancholy too, in the context of girls who grow up a lot after they get out of high school. Big Mikuru, apparently, reminds her of his cousin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
Although I get the feeling that his crush for his cousin was for an older girl, at least significantly old enough to be interested in boys for a romantic relationship, by the way I'm also assuming Kyon is talking about his crush as if it happened a long time ago, how long ago is up for debate.
She's a hell of a lot older than him, yeah. I suspect it was just before he met Sasaki that she eloped...

Certainly possible that she's the slider though. Kyon DID say she used to look childish before she got out of high school, and Slider-tan is pretty immature-looking.

Quote:
It would be really interesting to see his reaction to finding out that it's her. And if Haruhi found out that he used to have a crush on her... well, her reaction to Sasaki would be considered relatively mild I'm certain. >_>
Oh dear. He's doomed.
Closed Thread