AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-25, 19:36   Link #2281
Once and Current Subber

I don't buy the "Signum was once a person" idea.

It's not that it's impossible, just that joining with Agito doesn't imply it. It's not that the Knights have no Linker Core, it's that they don't have anything else! (At least, not when they were Knights.) Think about the scenes where they were absorbed into the Book of Darkness back in A's. The other characters just had their cores absorbed, but the Knights were actually destroyed by that process.

To me, the conclusion is that the Knights, if not in possession of a Linker Core the same as the other mages in the show, have something very analogous (and that it's a much more significant part of them than a Linker Core is to, say, Fate or Nanoha.) It's not even a stretch to say that whatever that is could interface with a Unison Device in the same way that a Linker Core does... especially given that both Hayate and Vita have achieved unison with Rein, so we know the process is at least similar.

Indeed, Zest was a good character.
Old 2009-07-25, 20:02   Link #2282
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

That line of logic doesn't really disprove the idea though, since you're talking about the Knights in their current state (aka as Guardian Knight programs), while the idea is about what they were before that. Of course the Guardian Knights would be affected differently from the other characters by the Book of Darkness, because their functions are tied directly to it. The idea is what were they before they became Guardian Knights - were they just wisps of nothingness before they were created and programmed, or were they once humans with their own lives who were "programmed" into the Book to serve as its Guardians? We don't have conclusive evidence either way, so for the moment, it's just "Devil's Proof".

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-07-25, 20:11   Link #2283
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
That line of logic doesn't really disprove the idea though, since you're talking about the Knights in their current state (aka as Guardian Knight programs), while the idea is about what they were before that. Of course the Guardian Knights would be affected differently from the other characters by the Book of Darkness, because their functions are tied directly to it. The idea is what were they before they became Guardian Knights - were they just wisps of nothingness before they were created and programmed, or were they once humans with their own lives who were "programmed" into the Book to serve as its Guardians? We don't have conclusive evidence either way, so for the moment, it's just "Devil's Proof".
And if they were originally humans, were they the absorbed victims of the Book of Darkness, or the voluntary servants/guardians of the Tome of the Night Sky. Hm...there's probably a fic in the latter idea somewhere...
Old 2009-07-25, 22:40   Link #2284
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Which is true; we've seen that Rein-chan doesn't Unison particularly well with Vita or Signum, and Agito doesn't have a good connection to Zest.
Slight mistake on your part there. Rein Zwei does unison well with Vita and Signum. Agito mentioned it in ep18. I suspect the Book of Darkness makes adjustments to the Knights whenever it initializes for a new user.

If Agito was Signum's (the human original) Unison Device, I suspect she was never delivered to Signum before she was taken out by the Book. Because of how customized UDs are, she was probably left in storage afterwards until discovered by those researchers.
Old 2009-07-26, 00:14   Link #2285
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
And yes, I command you to write that AU now
I already have.
Old 2009-07-27, 21:27   Link #2286
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
And yes, I command you to write that AU now
I started thinking about it, and it grew and grew and grew and has incorporated aspects from not just Gundam 00 and MGLN, but several other stories as well. It's becoming ridiculous, but also at the same time oh so very awesome.

Working on the first chapter while I finish up "A Path Through Remembrance ~ 2nd phase."

So far this ultimate crossover includes elements, characters and plot fragments from a half-dozen anime, games or other fictional universes.

More info will be posted in the... well, I have no idea where this kind of whacked out project would even go.
Old 2009-07-27, 23:35   Link #2287
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

put it in OC. They'd be more accepting of it there.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-07-28, 07:37   Link #2288
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Do both, just in case it gets too hot in OC.
Old 2009-07-28, 08:07   Link #2289
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Some people take this stuff too seriously. But you cannot really argue with an idea like this. It will be epic and awesome.
Old 2009-07-28, 12:49   Link #2290
stormturmoil
Field Medic

Send a message via AIM to stormturmoil Send a message via MSN to stormturmoil
Just to bring the 'Wolkenritter being human' thing back up regards Signum, something from StrikerS that may be of significance (or not...) is the fact that Signum introduces herself as Signum Needes; that is, she's acquired a last name...

now, where did that come from?

some possibilities:

1: She was once Human, and she always had it, but we never had occasion to hear it before then.

2: it was chosen for her or she chose it herself as part of the whole bureau-joining thing. Significant that it's not Hayate's last name, as you might expect.

3: She's got Married since A's! 'Needes' would then be the name of her Husband. (though this assumes that Midchildan or Belkan Marriages transfer the Husband's name to the Wife. If not, return to 1 and 2)
Old 2009-07-28, 13:15   Link #2291
Jimmy C

No, the subbers just mistranslated her rank. It was supposed to be 2nd Lt. Signnum.
Old 2009-07-28, 13:39   Link #2292
stormturmoil
Field Medic

Send a message via AIM to stormturmoil Send a message via MSN to stormturmoil
Hah, and there was I beginning to wonder if al those Crack's Vice Makes in StrikerS Nano about Signum being a Submissive Uke might have been justified...
Old 2009-07-28, 20:03   Link #2293
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Oh god this incident just got me rolling the floor again... I've lost count how many times things being Lost in Translation have screwed us over.
Old 2009-08-19, 12:47   Link #2294
D2
Go Big Red!

I asked this question in the Q&A section, but was suggested to bring it here: Is it possible for Velka cartridges to explode/detonate/react if exposed to extreme outside forces? ex. (magical blasts, hard strikes, etc.)
Old 2009-08-19, 12:49   Link #2295
Aaron008R

It would be weirder if they didn't. >_>
I don't see any reason for them to be indestructible little bullets that only releases energy when used properly. So why not? :3

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Old 2009-08-19, 17:17   Link #2296
Password

We do have a precedent concentrated magic being explosive when their containers get damaged (see: the Relics, though a catridge explosion would definitely be a lot smaller <<)
Old 2009-08-21, 11:56   Link #2297
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
In my fic, I make them react rather... 'Excitedly', to microwave radiation.

Spoiler for Warning, High Energy Waveguide Tube:
Old 2009-08-21, 17:17   Link #2298
Tabasco

Heh.

The golden BB effect strikes again. I would agree though, it would take a fair amount to cause a breach in a cartridge, otherwise they wouldn't be safe to use, but they are after all designed for rapid energy discharge.

I think 'lithium battery failure on steroids' probably would cover the results.
Old 2009-08-21, 21:43   Link #2299
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Well, the way I'm depicting it is based on my personal knowledge and training. A leak from a waveguide tube is enough to be considered a health risk. When you have a fifty thousand volt HPA pumping out X band RF... That tube's gonna be very 'Hot'. Essentially, it's like putting a LIon battery on steroied, in a big nasty microwave oven, on steroids.
Old 2009-08-22, 13:17   Link #2300
Tabasco

Oh, no argument there. By 'golden BB effect' I was referring to how a single statistically unlikely event at just the wrong place can wreak havoc, eg the tower collapsing.

I was getting at that even a relatively low power device like a lithium battery can fail catastrophically under the wrong conditions, so it makes sense that an orders of magnitude application like the cartridges could do the same.

Where's that fic posted, anyway? It sounds like it might be interesting.
Closed Thread