Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-05, 18:28   Link #901
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Good info there.

You should also list the Sherman Firefly, since not only is it mentioned by name, but it really does appear in the show.
Thanks for the info - I wonder what Saunders is doing with a British tank. The Sherman Firefly is just a regular Sherman with a turret modified to carry a 17-pounder gun. The Americans sent a large number of tanks, mostly Shermans, to equip the British army. They were decent vehicles, but they weren't very good against enemy tanks. And so the British upgraded several different Sherman models with a better gun. I think that it's a bit slower than the base model, but it's really just the same tank in other respects.

So the story of the Firefly is really just the story of the 17-pounder. At first glance, it's just a 76.2mm 55 caliber gun; it's not too different than the 76mm 52 caliber gun on Sherman 76s. However, the difference is in the ammunition: the 17-pounder round has about double the propellant of any other 75-76mm round. The result is excellent penetration accuracy - equal to the Panther's much longer 70 caliber gun. It could also fire the APDS round, sacrificing accuracy for even better penetration. This latter round is inferior only to the massive 128mm round the Germans used for the Jagdtiger.

On a Sherman platform, the 17-pounder is extremely dangerous. It can hit and knock out basically any German tank with standard AP ammuntion, and it can break out the APDS ammo against tough opponents like the Tiger II or Jagdtiger. In comparison, the 76mm on American Shermans can fire the rare HVAP ammuntion, but it's only as good as the 17-pounder's standard round. The Sherman Firefly was the most dangerous tank faced by the German army on the Western Front.

Sexiness factor: Very sexy. It easily beats out other Shermans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I really don't think thats going to be fun...

There is sort of a huge technology gap...

Edit: Now, if they want to be brave. Make a Call of Duty game centered on the Germans.

- Tak
Sure, but it's not entirely without potential. But I can't think of a single game, computer or not, that concentrates on this front! Well, there's grand strategic games like War in the Pacific, but that's a very different affair.

The original Panzer General has already been made. I don't think that you can get any more Wehrmact-centric than that.

Quote:
I don't even know why the 89 even made it into the show. Its a piss-poor tank with its only innovation being one of the first armored vehicles equipped with a diesel engine, and not much else.
There's only two reasons: it's Japanese, and it's used to illustrate just how bad tanks can get.

Quote:
The only possible use I see for the 89 at the moment would be akin to what the T-34s did during Kursk against Tigers & Panthers...

RAMMING SPEED!!!

- Tak
The Type 89 is even too slow to ram anyone. Cross-country, you'd probably be able to run faster than it on foot.

Quote:
Second largest front can only be China. But I highly doubt it will have much of an international audience. Unless a brave Chinese software developer is willing to get into it for China's domestic audience.

OTOH, the jungles were already covered in Call of Duty: World at War, Battlefield 1942, as well as an earlier RTS title known as Blitzkreig.

- Tak
Exactly. The China-Japan conflict ran from 1937-1945, and involved millions of soldiers, but it's almost completely unknown. The problem is that nobody cares about this front except for Japan and China. Japanese developers would like to forget that this conflict even existed, and Chinese developers probably won't make any games where they're such underdogs. This also explains why the battle of Khalkin-Gol is rarely mentioned even though it was one of the most pivotal battles of World War II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Which front exactly? If it's the Chinese war, there'd be almost no tanks, and if it's the Pacific island-hopping campaigns, it'd be mostly navigating thru jungle roads and having Japanese soldiers try to stick C4 on your vehicle.
The Pacific War is actually a pretty popular subject for games; this probably has to do with the U.S. playing such a prominent role. But because of the subject matter, most of these games are designed for grognards so you may not have heard of them.
Old 2012-11-05, 19:52   Link #902
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
this is a a 12 episode series btw
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 20:16   Link #903
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The Pacific War is actually a pretty popular subject for games; this probably has to do with the U.S. playing such a prominent role. But because of the subject matter, most of these games are designed for grognards so you may not have heard of them.
Yeah, the Pacific War .. as in the sea and air war. I'm not sure people would be enthralled with playing the "Pacific Land War" .. (I believe that was what Tak was referring to when talking about the technological difference..)
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 20:38   Link #904
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Uhm, it really bears asking... While the last episode hasn't actually been started on yet, will it still be aired at this rate? Especially since 5.5 will take up one of the reserved broadcast slots for the 12 episodes, so doesn't this means that we'll stop at 11. Unless some creative editing is done to squish episodes 11 and 12 together ala Hourou Musuko, of course.
Old 2012-11-05, 20:55   Link #905
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

As duckroll said

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
A slight correction about the delays: The final episode is not running into production problems. It's probably not even in production yet. What's happening is that ep6 is not airing next week because of a current production delay, and so they have to broadcast ep5.5 instead, which sounds like a recap special. But because of this one week delay, the final episode will eventually not be able to air on the time slot, since all broadcast schedules are tightly fixed. They will have to air it on some other slot instead. Details will be announced after ep11 airs, since they have no idea where it could air right now.

This is a a 12 episode series btw, not 13.
There will be a 12th episode. When? We don't know.
Old 2012-11-05, 21:04   Link #906
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Don't lose your hope yet. If BD/DVD sale are good (right now pre order is about 2400) , there will be a chance for second season but I don't know what they will do with the content.
Old 2012-11-05, 21:19   Link #907
Green²
It's bacon!

I'm sure they will figure out the schedule issue long before we get to the final episode. ...Just so long as the series doesn't start tanking.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 21:20   Link #908
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Even if the anime is short we still have the manga to fall back on!
Old 2012-11-05, 21:25   Link #909
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Yeah, the Pacific War .. as in the sea and air war. I'm not sure people would be enthralled with playing the "Pacific Land War" .. (I believe that was what Tak was referring to when talking about the technological difference..)
We were referring to the Chinese Theater. The technological advantage Japan enjoyed was much greater than the U.S. vs. Japan. Think of it this way, the Type 89 was considered adequate against Chinese forces.

Almost all World War II games outside of tactical games will have some air elements, and the Pacific War will usually have a naval element depending on the scale of the conflict. There are actually quite a few battles where naval forces play either a small role or can be easily abstracted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Uhm, it really bears asking... While the last episode hasn't actually been started on yet, will it still be aired at this rate? Especially since 5.5 will take up one of the reserved broadcast slots for the 12 episodes, so doesn't this means that we'll stop at 11. Unless some creative editing is done to squish episodes 11 and 12 together ala Hourou Musuko, of course.
They do have a few other options: air episode 12 as a special at a later date, release it on the Internet, or just leave it for the DVD/Blu-ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Don't lose your hope yet. If BD/DVD sale are good (right now pre order is about 2400) , there will be a chance for second season but I don't know what they will do with the content.
If this show can appeal to the Strike Witches crowd, then a second season seems pretty likely. There just aren't a whole lot of other anime that try to tackle this subject. The World tournament seems like a very likely subject for that second season.
Old 2012-11-05, 21:37   Link #910
tsunade666

I still can't find the raw for the new episode

So episode 12 wouldn't be aired at the time slot its been allotted and it will be delayed? sad news. Though I hope for more season to come specially that its actually fun to watch it. Though I can't say that its the same for strike witches. I watched strike witches and liked it but for me the premises is different. Strike witches just had too many fan service for me that the word shorts or pants for girls didn't exist and that it felt it has too many filler to the story but more like the episode are for individual character development. As of episode 04. Girls und Panzer gives a different feeling than strike witches even though it has the same military theme on it.
Old 2012-11-05, 21:44   Link #911
willx
Nyaaan~~

So, I just went and showed my fiance episode 1 of this anime ..

And I must have not been paying attention to it the first time, but when the Student Council was threatening/blackmailing/coercing Miho into senshado class.. I actually got pretty angry

I mean, it moved the plot forward, but if I was stuck in that situation I would have plotted to DESTROY them personally, professionally and financially in any and every way possible.. No one puts baby in the corner
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 21:56   Link #912
tsunade666

That action in episode one also made me feel angry towards the student council. They act high and mighty specially the way the way they force her into it. Though it kinda gets forgotten when episode 03 and 04 shows. Though I still didn't like the glasses girl in the student council. She likes to boss around.
Old 2012-11-05, 22:02   Link #913
gaiar31

Episode 5 Machine

Spoiler:
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 22:03   Link #914
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

According to Shoboi Calendar, ep12 will be broadcast on Tokyo MX just after midnight New Year's Eve. Other channels are listed as showing it on succeeding days.

Enjoyed ep5 Chinese sub. Won't say more until others have a chance to see the ep, which will be very soon.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 23:10   Link #915
velvet nightmare

some lingering 'wtf?!' quetions/moments:

-why doesn't the school (or other schools, like that british one last episode) just load their team up to the maximum allowable tanks(10)? why handicap yourself with a starting lineup of 5? (im pretty sure brittain never had money issues)

-why would yukari enroll in a school that didn't have panzerfahren if she's obsessed with it???

-what use is the intelligence you gathered if the enemy knows you have stolen it? lol gg.

honestly the main characters need serious upgrades, after hearing the sherman 75mm armaments i was immediately thinking, "gg, you guys are still using pea shooter short barrel guns".

personally, i think they should really sell the 38(t) and buy an anti tank gun with it, seriously, this thing is only good as bait, and i feel that having something else that can get kills other than the stug is worth it.

on a final note, yukari's room is f*ckin sick, that room is filled with the cool stuff
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 23:21   Link #916
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
-why doesn't the school (or other schools, like that british one last episode) just load their team up to the maximum allowable tanks(10)? why handicap yourself with a starting lineup of 5? (im pretty sure brittain never had money issues)
That was a 5-on-5 annihilation battle. Basically, different format.

Quote:
-why would yukari enroll in a school that didn't have panzerfahren if she's obsessed with it???
Probably two reasons:

1. That is her home, so going to a school where she lives makes sense. Going to a new place for Sensha-do seems a bit over the top.
2. Likely she might have wanted to be a "normal" schoolgirl after being isolated.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 23:55   Link #917
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
some lingering 'wtf?!' quetions/moments:

-what use is the intelligence you gathered if the enemy knows you have stolen it? lol gg.

on a final note, yukari's room is f*ckin sick, that room is filled with the cool stuff
Yukari would explain why they love Miho must necessarily know Miho's mother and sister and admired
Old 2012-11-06, 00:09   Link #918
4Tran

Episode 5

Great episode. I think it might be better than episode 4, and the next (real) one promises to give us the best battle yet.

A slight correction: Saunders is fielding 1x Sherman Firefly, 1x Sherman M4A1(76)W, and 8x 75mm Shermans (probably plain M4s) instead the M4A3E8, etc. like I wrote up earlier. The plain M4 is still the same tank; the only real difference is that its gun is weaker now - 75mm 40 calibers, just like the M3 Lee's 75mm. It's not that great against armor, but the only Ooarai AFV with decent armor is the StuG III anyways and it's as good as any of Ooarai's other guns. The Saunders Sherman Firefly is going to be a real beast though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
So episode 12 wouldn't be aired at the time slot its been allotted and it will be delayed? sad news. Though I hope for more season to come specially that its actually fun to watch it. Though I can't say that its the same for strike witches. I watched strike witches and liked it but for me the premises is different. Strike witches just had too many fan service for me that the word shorts or pants for girls didn't exist and that it felt it has too many filler to the story but more like the episode are for individual character development. As of episode 04. Girls und Panzer gives a different feeling than strike witches even though it has the same military theme on it.
Girls und Panzer isn't all that similar to Strike Witches, but it should appeal to roughly the same viewers. It should be people who have an interest in military hardware/history and who like/don't mind an all-girls show.

The problem with Strike Witches is that the creators had a cool idea: WWII fighter aces as girls who are also their own planes. The problem is that they tried to write up a setting that allows the cool idea to play out a fun story, and it doesn't really work. So we have a show where the main draw ends up being the filler and the story portions meshing poorly with it.

Girls und Panzer doesn't have that problem because the story is entirely designed to serve the premise. The premise being girls and tanks with the story being girls fighting with tanks in a tournament. And the creators promised that there won't be any panty shots, so we just have one cheesecake scene per episode.

Quote:
honestly the main characters need serious upgrades, after hearing the sherman 75mm armaments i was immediately thinking, "gg, you guys are still using pea shooter short barrel guns".

personally, i think they should really sell the 38(t) and buy an anti tank gun with it, seriously, this thing is only good as bait, and i feel that having something else that can get kills other than the stug is worth it.
The 38(t) has some value - it can act as a scout, and it's gun might come into play now and again. It's the Type 89 that should go first, but an AT gun is probably worth more . And of course AT guns wouldn't be allowed for safety reasons.
Old 2012-11-06, 00:17   Link #919
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Spoiler for save space:
It's a bit unfair to compare the Type 89 to the Sherman or other late war tanks really. M4, M3 Lee & Stuart only joined in the war in 42. Type 89 was a pre-war design and 37-41 so was the main US tank the M2 medium tank, wich is hardly any more impressive then the Type 89 or the Type 97.

Then when Japan started to lose the war so were they hardly able to ship out the more modern tanks like Type 1 to 5 to the front while the US being on the offensive did bring their new toys along and thus we got some M4's fighting then obsolete Japanese tanks. The modern tanks were planed for the battle on Japanese soil that never came.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 00:26   Link #920
PzIVf3

Of course the Allies won the war by using the radio interception Ultra. Without this machine it will be different story.

Quote:
It was thanks to ULTRA that we won the war.

Churchill
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks