AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-21, 02:30   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Can "moe" be applied to Pixar creations?
Old 2008-03-21, 03:39   Link #22
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Looks like a good one. I love Pixar as an animation studio. They have great stuff.
Old 2008-06-26, 17:56   Link #23
Oxtail

Movie's coming out this weekend and it's been getting some really amazing reviews. I was sceptical at first when I didn't know anything about it, but now it's pretty much become a "must see".
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 18:20   Link #24
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

everytime i see him reminds me of the little shortcircuit robot
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 20:50   Link #25
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I've been anticipating this movie ever since I first heard about it. Looks great and I can't wait to see it.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 00:25   Link #26
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Apparently Pixar can do no wrong, I haven't seen all their movies but they all seem to be very highly praised.

Hell with Pixars track record now I guess this pretty much makes them > then studio ghibli.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 00:59   Link #27
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

I'm already hyped after seeing the trailers.
Finally something fun to watch to kill my boredom.
Old 2008-06-27, 19:18   Link #28
Traece
:cool:

Spoiler for WALL-E:

2008 movies hit at the top three. I think WALL-E snuck in to my #1 spot. It also made me laugh at anime. xD When I think about the movie and think about animes that have attempted the same things that take place in this movie (genre-wise) dwarf each and every one of them, in my opinion.
Old 2008-06-27, 19:52   Link #29
Nemu

I saw a preview for it like once, I think it's gonna be a cute movie. =P

Signature by ganbaru
Nemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 20:23   Link #30
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Spoiler for WALL-E:

2008 movies hit at the top three. I think WALL-E snuck in to my #1 spot. It also made me laugh at anime. xD When I think about the movie and think about animes that have attempted the same things that take place in this movie (genre-wise) dwarf each and every one of them, in my opinion.
The comedy b/t anime and american made cartoons and CG like Wall E is quite different with creative humor in both, in their own way. Sorta reminds me of Yotsuba, innocent childish humor ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 20:48   Link #31
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Apparently Pixar can do no wrong, I haven't seen all their movies but they all seem to be very highly praised.

Hell with Pixars track record now I guess this pretty much makes them > then studio ghibli.
Yea seems that Pixar can do no wrong, only one I haven't seen is Cars.

saw the trailer that popped up on PSN Store, and was put on my must see list!

well I'm guessing that Pixars budget is vastly bigger than Studio Ghibli, thats why they pop out much bigger movies, but SG films are great in a different way compared to Pixars or Disney ones(I really miss animated films from Disney, with there sing alongs, grew up with em so kinda have a soft spot for em)

p.s found out theres gonna be a Toy story 3! YAY!
Old 2008-06-27, 21:32   Link #32
Traece

Pixar prides itself on not being able to make a floppy movie.

Even something with the word 'flop' in it.

Point is, they haven't made a full feature film that wasn't a complete smash. WALL-E is certainly no different, in fact, it is their finest achievement yet. This movie was far more entertaining and involving than anything before it. If there weren't children in the theatre, I would've cussed at some points in the movie because of the sheer surprises it'll throw at you. Hah... When WALL-E is scared, you know you'll probably have pissed your own pants if you were in his place.
Old 2008-06-28, 00:08   Link #33
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
p.s found out theres gonna be a Toy story 3! YAY!
Let's wait til 2010 then.
Old 2008-06-28, 00:39   Link #34
Traece

Actually 2010 sounds about right... Seriously...

Ah... How badly I want to see this movie again. v_v' Is it out on DVD yet? Pay-Per-View even? I'm dying here! Sheesh...
Old 2008-06-28, 03:20   Link #35
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Pixar prides itself on not being able to make a floppy movie.

Even something with the word 'flop' in it.

Point is, they haven't made a full feature film that wasn't a complete smash.
Actually, there is a very good chance that this movie could be a "flop". Pixar movies have been in a decline since Finding Nemo (arguably their greatest feel-good movie, and consequently one of their best family films), with each film making significantly less than the previous film; Finding Nemo made 340 million, then The Incredibles made 260, Cars made 240 and most recently Ratatouille only made a little over 200 million (all of this is American domestic gross); sure these numbers sound big, but there is a very noticable sloping trend here. Disney is hoping to combat this trend by opening in even more theaters than before (somewhere around 4000 screens will show WALL-E this weekend). Undoubtedly the film will be a hit, but if it makes under 200 or around 200 million domestically it will be considered a "flop" by Disney and Pixar, and it will undoubtedly effect future productions (not Toy Story 3 of course, that film is almost guaranteed to make 300 million) of their more esoteric ideas (which both Ratatouille and WALL-E were expression of).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 03:30   Link #36
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

its not going to flop, i went to see it at one of those restaruant/theaters today. the little mini pixar skit was kind of bad, but the movie itself was done very well. you can see the american influence all over the place.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 13:39   Link #37
Traece

What? I loved the little Pixar/Disney skit! It was funny! People getting royally beaten and pummeled and electrocuted and etc. is hilarious.

Not as funny as the actual movie. Actually, WALL-E will probably be one of their biggest hits. I felt the movie was a million times better than Toy Story could ever be. Besides, a slight decline in box office gross isn't much of an indicator for a flop. It's just how things generally work. All of Pixar's movies are without a doubt great and hard to dislike, they're just experiencing a slow lack of interest. WALL-E had a lot of commercial previews and a good amount of hype, so more than likely we can see Pixar becoming very popular again.
Old 2008-06-28, 16:31   Link #38
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Rather than just the gross --- what is the net profit (though you'll never discover that, all movie companies claim they lose money on every movie so they can avoid paying percentages to the artists :P )
Old 2008-06-28, 18:07   Link #39
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Rather than just the gross --- what is the net profit (though you'll never discover that, all movie companies claim they lose money on every movie so they can avoid paying percentages to the artists :P )
Oh all of the Pixar movies have made substantial profit (I did not even mention the foreign boxoffice gross nor the combined DVD sales...all of the Pixar films have made over 500 million each), but, as usual, Disney and Pixar are only really concerned with domestic gross. That being said, Disney has gone out of their way to make sure that Wall-E will be a hit. The film opened in more theaters than any other Pixar film, and somewhere around 40-60 million was spent on advertisement (the movie is budgeted at 120 million...without the advertisement, so somwhere around 160-180 million is the true budget), so it seems guaranteed that Wall-E will be a hit...rather it is the level of business that it does that becomes the question. Disney, undoubtedly, wants the film to make at least 250 million to be considered a true hit.

That being said, the opening day estimates place the movie at around 25 million. Undoubtedly there will be at least a 50% increase from Friday to Saturday (if not a higher percentage) with another 40-50% increase for Sunday (if not more since families will often go to the movies after Church on Sundays), so many trackers have estimated that Wall-E should make at least 75 million this weekend, well above any other Pixar film. But, with Hancock coming out next weekend (which is epected to have a stellar first weekend and then an abysmal second), unless Wall-E breaks a 100 million this weekend it is unlikely it will make more than 200 million domestically, and consequently could be considered a flop by the standards Disney is pushing on the film.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 21:15   Link #40
Oxtail

I went to see the movie this weekend and it really is a masterpiece. That they were able to create a cute romance with basically no dialogue is quite an achievement. What's even more amazing is that they made you care so much for the adorable Wall*E and the tsundere EVE even though one is a ugly box of rust and the other is a giant egg-shaped iPod. It's pretty obvious to anyone who sees the movie that it's a cut above the more recent Pixar films and with talk already of a picture of the year nomination for this movie, I find it hard to believe it's going to be a flop.
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote