AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-05-11, 00:03   Link #241
Yokai

I feel Hip Hop has become a format now that is less toward the ideas of Intelligent thinking and more toward material possessions. Obviously, there's still rap out there that is creative an original in content, however the majority of popular rap groups rap about money, cars, "hoes", and other various material needs. This is because it is easy for one to get popular rapping about said materials, because those who can't obtain said possession have a extreme addiction to hearing about what it is like to own such objects. Basically, most modern rap tends to connect to the public not by intelligent thought but instead by material need, which says a lot about our society in general...

I listen to older rap sometimes, such as NWA. I will listen to some more modern rap groups such as Jurassic 5, but I don't really have a large library of rap anymore. Any recommendations of rap that ISN'T of material needs and childish idealization of possessions?
Old 2009-05-12, 03:41   Link #242
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Unfortunately, I don't think rap will ever be able to escape the niche it's fallen into now, insofar as the words are concerned. It seems to me that, initially, rap was about the expression of feelings, and the want to be recognized for the work these artists were putting into their art, when other forms of music were still dominating the air waves. As rap began to come more into the mainstream, people realized that they could bank on this growing popularity with simple things like a good beat and occasionally striking lyrics. Suddenly, as the money started rolling in, rap artists began living the high life. When you look at where many of these people came from, and how hard they worked to get where they are now, it's not too surprising to think that their art may have been manipulated by what they were acquiring; it was what they were in search for all along. Of course, this is purely speculation on my part, but I think it's human nature to want to celebrate the things you earn after working so hard to get them.

As for recommendations of a non-material nature, I'd highly suggest Saul Williams' album Amethyst Rock Star. He's more of a slam poet, but with some beats behind it, his poems make for amazing hip hop. I'd also suggest MC Paul Barman's Paullelujah and, if you can find them, the Immortal Technique albums Revolutionary Vol 1 & 2. Again, I don't think you're ever going to be able to completely escape the materialization of the music itself (J5 isn't particularly materialistic, but even some of their songs deal with those things), but these are a few of the artists I've found who seem to focus less on the material things, and more on the message.
Old 2009-05-12, 08:52   Link #243
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think rap will ever be able to escape the niche it's fallen into now, insofar as the words are concerned. It seems to me that, initially, rap was about the expression of feelings, and the want to be recognized for the work these artists were putting into their art, when other forms of music were still dominating the air waves. As rap began to come more into the mainstream, people realized that they could bank on this growing popularity with simple things like a good beat and occasionally striking lyrics. Suddenly, as the money started rolling in, rap artists began living the high life. When you look at where many of these people came from, and how hard they worked to get where they are now, it's not too surprising to think that their art may have been manipulated by what they were acquiring; it was what they were in search for all along. Of course, this is purely speculation on my part, but I think it's human nature to want to celebrate the things you earn after working so hard to get them.

As for recommendations of a non-material nature, I'd highly suggest Saul Williams' album Amethyst Rock Star. He's more of a slam poet, but with some beats behind it, his poems make for amazing hip hop. I'd also suggest MC Paul Barman's Paullelujah and, if you can find them, the Immortal Technique albums Revolutionary Vol 1 & 2. Again, I don't think you're ever going to be able to completely escape the materialization of the music itself (J5 isn't particularly materialistic, but even some of their songs deal with those things), but these are a few of the artists I've found who seem to focus less on the material things, and more on the message.
Immortal Technique is recommendable in very regulated doses. While his lyrics are about as anti-materialistic as you can get, a lot of his social views are extreme and aren't for the faint of heart (his albums are called "The Revolutionary" for a reason).

For the more mainstream acts, you can look into:
Lupe Fiasco
Talib Kweli
The Roots
Common
Pharoahe Monch

More obscure artists:
Atmosphere
Sage Francis
sol.illaquists of sound
Glue
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien / Deltron
Tonedeff

There are plenty of other tasteful rappers that I didn't mention, but I'll start you off with these guys to give you a good gateway to expand on.
Old 2009-05-12, 13:53   Link #244
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest getting Immortal Technique's albums in their entirety unless you support his conspiracy theorist lyrics, are anti-American in general, or don't give a crap what the lyrics are as long as it sounds good. The complexity of his lyrics and flow are great, but his subject matter can get a bit irritating, especially if you're a happy super awesome All-American American like me.

@Youkai

I generally don't mind raps about materialism, since for the majority of people, the material things is part of the American Dream. Ya know, the nice house with the nice car etc., etc. Let's face it, you can't be totally happy if you have to worry about getting evicted next month.

But, I do have rappers in which material things aren't their main subject.

-Dilated Peoples
-Saul Williams (Most people refer to him as a poet, he'll argue that it's same difference)
-MF Doom/Madvillian
-Quasimoto
-Dead Prez
-Slum Village
-Redman
-Mos Def
-Pharcyde
-Aesop Rock
-Elzhi
-Aloe Blacc
-Hieroglyphics
-Tribe Called Quest
-De La Soul (ESPECIALLY De La Soul, look up 'Stakes is High')

Also, other ways to find artists you like would be Youtube. To go one of the aforementioned rappers and look up a song, then look through the related videos on the side. You'll get far, I guarantee it.

Looking by producer is a good way as well. My not-so-hidden fanboyism for J Dilla aside, by looking through him, I discovered Elzhi, Slum Village, Phat Kat, Black Milk & Madlib, who brought me to MF DOOM, which brought me to Danger Mouse. . .you get the picture. It's becuase a lot of these producers generally associate themselves with only a couple rappers in their career.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-05-13 at 17:02.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 16:43   Link #245
Shadow Raven 91
She's a Genius I swear it

To add to the list without overlap
Mr. Lif
Akrobatik
GZA
Masta Killah
Killah Priest
John Robinson
Grieves
Canibus
Snak the Ripper
Cannibal Ox
Vast Aire
Vordul Mega
kool Keith/ Dr. Octagon
Gift of Gab
C-Rayz Walz
MF GRIMM
Public Enemy
RZA
Insight
Illogic
Murs

And there is still more that i want to list. Youtube and itunes is your friend for finding new artist.
Old 2009-05-19, 23:04   Link #246
mg1942

god dammit Dolla just got popped in the west side!
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 01:07   Link #247
Senbon Zakura
Kallen and C.C. Lover
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Senbon Zakura
My favorite Rap/Hip Hop peoples are Biggie Smalls, Tupac, Rage Against the Machine, Cypress Hill, Immortal Technique, Army of the Pharaohs, and Lupe Fiasco. But don't debate if Tupac is better than Biggie that would turn into a small war. You should see some of the comments on Youtube videos of Biggie/Tupac...people are so unintelligent and ignorant, it makes me sick.
Senbon Zakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 04:08   Link #248
fourtwenty
ざわ。。ざわ。。

I'm into NWA, Eazy E, Pac, older stuff for some of their messages and stories.

I like the newer mainstream stuff (Wayne, Jeezy, Khaled stuff) if I'm hanging out with friends, party music, etc.
You just have to take it for what it is, not my favorite genre of music but it serves its purpose.
fourtwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 20:22   Link #249
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Hey look. And rapper that middle class suburbia can relate to!

Old 2009-05-25, 21:11   Link #250
Senbon Zakura
Kallen and C.C. Lover
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Senbon Zakura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Hey look. And rapper that middle class suburbia can relate to!

LOL.

I don't consider him a rapper. I consider him comedy rap. Asher Roth is kind of funny but he's a joke.

Tee hee...rap pun.
Senbon Zakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 02:57   Link #251
User91411
Disabled By Request

I like rap. Now it's just crap about hoes and money, but back in the 80s and 90s they had a message, about how to stick it to the law and about life in the ghetto. My favorite rappers are Eminem (the guy is hilarious in his comedy songs and sincere in his serious songs, and his rhythm and delivery is fluid), Tupac Shakur (too bad he's dead), Nas (Illmatic, to me, is a masterpiece in hip-hop), Jay-Z (I just like his wordplay lol), N.W.A, (HILARIOUS and excellent beats, Fuck Tha Police ftw) and Eazy-E (Real Muthaphucckin' Gs, anyone?).
User91411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 22:25   Link #252
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Wow, 1st time I came across a rap thread....wonderful

MY favourite artists are in no specific order Common, Nas, Lupe Fiasco, Gemini(listen to his Dynasty freestyle), The Roots, Eminem, Nujabes(the production), Gang Starr(they're really good, try Moment of truth). Talib kweli is a monster on the mic, arguably the most underrated rap artist of all. Songs like "get By" and "The Blast" are classics. I liked old-school Dre and Pac. I mostly listen to 2Pac's more intellectual work. I read his poem-book "the Rose that grew from Concrete", and was surprised at how intelligent he was(I though he was intelligent before, but the book opened my eyes).

Now onto hip-hop today.

It stinks.

At least people like Lupe and Kanye etc. try to keep it alive, but alas, Lupe is retiring after his next album and Kanye is in autotune mode. Not hating on him for it, but I think it's evolved into a money-making scheme as opposed to a creative outlet for musical expression. 90% of the artists out right now can't put out a song with social commentary in it because they lack the talent. I'm better off listening to the old-school.
cloak_and_dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 17:21   Link #253
SuperLAActor101

Anybody listen to Stones Throw?
Probably the best or at least one of the best alternative Hip-Hop labels out.
Seriously listen to Madlib, J Dilla, Roc C and well everyone on the label and You SHALL be amazed...

Oh and one more thing I think it's awesome to see that there are other people who like me listen to great and original Hip-Hop or how it was back in the day like the 80s and better part of the 90s.
SuperLAActor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 20:27   Link #254
Lvrhina
Akamatsu Fan

Send a message via MSN to Lvrhina
I hate this new year 2000+ rap its about "bitches , money and drugs" ....

aside from the fact ill get back to the main topic of the post

L.L. Cool J old school is amazing that too and when (my opinion) rap was good Def Squad made their apperance. However, branching off The Gap Band is the essence of Funk which is the soul of rap maybe hehe
Lvrhina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 16:50   Link #255
neomanxl
Sucker for moe ~_~

Send a message via AIM to neomanxl
I recommend Cool Calm Pete

He's a Korean-American rapper (music is in English). He has a lot of remixes of pretty old songs (one I think is of a rolling stones songs) and his rap is quite lyrical and unique.
neomanxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 22:18   Link #256
Explicit
Jag föstår

Send a message via MSN to Explicit
I only listen to Underground Hip-Hop. I've been doing it that way for the past few years now.
Explicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 22:26   Link #257
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Only rappers I listen to nowadays are Kanye, Jay-Z, and Eminem. These other rappers suck so bad it's actually funny now.

It's hilarious how the intelligence of some people have deluded to the point where they think people saying lines like "I'm so high I can touch Pluto" are the best lyrics evar. Truly amazing.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 21:02   Link #258
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

When Lord Infamous rapped about getting high back in the day it was awesome, because he was legitimately high on something when was rapping.

I also recently discovered Little Brother. I'm kind of embarrassed that I found them so late due to the fact that they came from my home state and had 9th Wonder as their producer. I think at lot of people here would enjoy The Minstrel Show. Highly recommended for anyone looking for smart, witty lyrics in today's rap genre.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-07-25 at 21:39.
Old 2009-07-26, 18:05   Link #259
Explicit
Jag föstår

Send a message via MSN to Explicit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Only rappers I listen to nowadays are Kanye, Jay-Z, and Eminem. These other rappers suck so bad it's actually funny now.
Uhh, I seriously hope that you are talking about other mainstream artists. There are numerous Hip-Hop artists that are better(or much better in my opinion) than the three you mentioned, but underground, although I'm not trying to say that "all" Underground Hip-Hop is better, since there are quite a few crappy ones there also.
Explicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 20:03   Link #260
Lil' Wayne

I dunno if he's been mentioned yet but MF Doom is my favorite rapper, currently. His collaboration with Madlib, Madvillainy is incredible.
Lil' Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote