AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-24, 17:25   Link #21
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Technically, the main reason why I started watching was Yui, because she was the 'cover girl' on the promotional poster and that was the only thing I knew about the show at the time. I thought the idea of cute girls playing music intriguing and when I learned that it was being made by Kyoto Animation (which I started liking after having seen Lucky Star, Haruhi and Clannad/Clannad After Story), that raised my expectation even more.

At the time, I was still fairly new to anime, only having become a fan two years prior, so I didn't really know what to expect. I sought out the manga and after having read the source material available at the time, I knew this show would be fun. After watching the first episode, I was sold.

IMO, the beauty of the show lies not so much in the character design (which I like), but more in how the character interact with each other. Each character has a specific trait that people can more or less relate to. The music is the icing on the proverbial cake.

As for me, I'm a 34-year-old guy from The Netherlands, I currently work as a mail delivery man, though I aspire a career in security.
Old 2010-09-24, 19:08   Link #22
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

There's a lot of Chinese people here xD Yay, I add to the statistic!

Anyways.. I watched K-ON! at first cause I thought it was cute. And it was about music, so why not (I was going through a huge "should I pick up the guitar?" phase so K-ON fit perfectly).

It wasn't my favourite anime, I didn't absolutely love it. It was something nice to enjoy every week... Well, that's how I felt for Season 1. It had an "Aw, that was pretty cool " kind of reaction when Season 1 ended. I didn't eye out for OVAs or look out for new merchandise. I watched K-ON! because it was funny. Then K-ON!! Season 2 came along and I found myself starting to really love this series for more reasons than I thought. The nice pacing, great music, fantastic humour and extremely lovable characters... Every week I found myself excited to see what happens in the next episode.

I discovered K-ON when my friend spotted a Dont Say Lazy cosplay at an anime convention when there were only like, two episodes out xD

I'm a 16 year old Chinese-Canadian female in the 11th grade. K-ON is one of my favourite anime. It was the final thing that convinced me that I should start playing guitar. Most importantly, it's the anime that's convinced me to enjoy my high school years as much as possible... There's no point in worrying about other people in high school. It should be just about having fun with your 4 closest friends and being stress-free. And why not throw music into the mix
Old 2010-09-24, 20:30   Link #23
Qikz

I started watching, because I'd heard about the first series and I watched it all in like 2 days, I just fell in love with it instantly. Ever since then, I sort of became obsessed with just how relaxing, cute, funny and just the overall amazingness of the show.

No matter how bad I was feeling, no matter what I was doing or how annoyed I was at something. I could always just sit and watch Keion and forget about all of it, it's just such a lovely, lovely show and It's easily now my favourite anime (used to be Clannad). The music, the scene, the comradery and more importantly the characters really made this show for me. Yui, Azusa, Mio, Tsumugi, Ritsu, Sawako, I'll miss all of your characters when you're gone.

It's kind of sad really that it's a possibility after the end of this series they'll never make any more, but at least I can always watch the DVD's, stare at the lovely merchandise I own, listen to the CD's and most importantly, actually buy and read the manga since I haven't even started it yet and where I'll translate it all myself, it'll take a while.

So yeah Keionbu, you'll live on forever in my heart as my favourite anime.
Old 2010-09-24, 21:16   Link #24
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I started watching it because it was anime I stayed because of the moes and the music as well as a great story. This is the first anime that I got all the music from openings and endings and even the characters songs.

Im 30 some thing person I think im white but I have to get back to you on that
Old 2010-09-25, 18:33   Link #25
Moogie
quick scopes anyone?

Okay.. well it says it's targeted at men the age of 18-30. I believe that in japan, but i've mostly seen people like in america 14-18. And I've started watching this show because of it's musical genre and total epicness from the manga.
Old 2010-09-25, 18:55   Link #26
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Yay! There's many Filipinos around too =D

I'm a 16 yr old Filipino who goes to college.

To be honest, I only started watching K-ON just like...3 months ago. I had this huge vacation and I had an anime rush technically. At the time, I just finished Lucky Star, which I loved beacuse of its Slice of Life + otaku appeal to me. (Ironically, that's how I considered myself one as well, although not as extreme as Konata *cough*) I originally heard about K-ON from some gaming forums, saying that it's on its season 2 or something. At first, it didn't matter at all, at the time I was watching Lucky Star, Pokemon, and Yugioh 5D's (anime rushed). So, I was there at the computer, and after Lucky Star, I felt a little empty, and I wanted a replacement for it. So, I found 2 animes with the same genre, Working!! and K-ON!! (see the exclamation point ) I watched Working!! first, and it was quite a good anime, and I found myself watching the whole series haha! So, after, Working!! I started watching K-ON! (in sub). I was instantly hooked by the first 15 minutes (a recordbreaker, so to speak), especially because of my curiousity and eventually love for Yui. In K-ON I developed love for anime music. At the time, I didn't knew this was a Kyoto Anime, but when I found out, I was not surprised. I knew I had that magnetism to Kyoto Animation =P. It actually made me love the series more, as I was also a fan of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya which changed into the Melancholy of the fans of Haruhi Suzumiya due to Endless 8, and I figured that this was "The Revenge of Kyoto Animation for MoHS!" So, I continued along that K-ON path, finishing a whole season in 1 week in a 1mbps connection through YouTube, and continued watching K-ON!! and much to my suprise, they had a fast Yui song called Go Go Maniac! which I loved (thereby making me realize my love for fast J-pop and eventually opening doors to Vocaloid songs aka cosmo-BonsouP). So I guess, I watch K-ON because it had every element that I loved with MoHS and LS with music.)
Old 2010-09-26, 11:49   Link #27
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
I watch it the moment the 1st episode was released.
Because I barely know the capability of Kyoani~ I was giving myself a shot. Besides, i never actually watch music theme anime.
Result- i found it hilarious,cute and funny. The drawing and character design were FINE for me.
So...it all began later when i got myself hooked with the anime. I undergo addiction, i can play the episode all over again~watch every of my fav scenes.

LAter on, i realized i watch the show partly because of Ritsu. She can't stop making me laugh.
I'm in my early 20s, but somehow...i wished i was younger to be able to watch this anime.
Old 2010-09-26, 16:22   Link #28
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEE View Post
LAter on, i realized i watch the show partly because of Ritsu. She can't stop making me laugh.
I'm in my early 20s, but somehow...i wished i was younger to be able to watch this anime.
I agree. That character is like, 75% the reason why I watch the show. She is teh luls.

But why do you wish you were younger? xD
Old 2010-09-26, 22:15   Link #29
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
I agree. That character is like, 75% the reason why I watch the show. She is teh luls.

In order to relive high school to be as fun-filled as the Keionbu. I too feel old...
Old 2010-09-27, 06:50   Link #30
Qikz

I don't really have that feeling since British School really isn't engaging at all. I'm quite happy that I'm the age I am now. I answer to nobody.

Keion in a way, showed me what my life (well, if I was a girl >_>) would be like in a school where student life is actually engaging. That might be why I enjoy Highschool animes so much.
Old 2010-09-27, 11:18   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
I don't really have that feeling since British School really isn't engaging at all. I'm quite happy that I'm the age I am now. I answer to nobody.

Keion in a way, showed me what my life (well, if I was a girl >_>) would be like in a school where student life is actually engaging. That might be why I enjoy Highschool animes so much.
That's why these series are often noted for creating a "nostalgia for things that never were". They're idealized but they are the way you'd like to remember things. I have a number of good memories of my teenage years... but also a bucket of painful moments. This sort of series helps balance them out.
Old 2010-09-27, 15:25   Link #32
Stefkov

At first it was another show for me to watch. I can't recall the feelings/memories from the first season but I was instantly hooked on the music. The OPs were energetic unlike me. Then I started to see the friendship of the characters develop and it became more and more fun to watch.

When I watched it I'd totally get into their pace and relax in my chair.
Then when the concerts came I'd get excited as they'd most likely play a new song.

I don't want more of the same from future shows although one or two would be nice amongst the rest. Watching these slice of life shows is perfect for winding down, they're a change of pace from the other shows I watch. With music they added another layer into what I think would have been just another slice of life show.
Old 2010-09-27, 23:37   Link #33
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

Why do I watch K-on? Basically, it's like a disney cartoon. One that kinda makes you understand how they feel for instance. When I get giddy and hungry like Yui, I can relate to it for instance. Another thing is, it's not over the top anime. You'll laugh, cry, and cheer for it like a disney cartoon. It's one of those pleasant anime that I can comfortably watch around even a ten year old.

I'm a stranger who happens to like K-on for what it is. My identity is irrelevant.

Old 2010-09-28, 01:33   Link #34
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamuSkull View Post
Why do I watch K-on? Basically, it's like a disney cartoon. One that kinda makes you understand how they feel for instance. When I get giddy and hungry like Yui, I can relate to it for instance. Another thing is, it's not over the top anime. You'll laugh, cry, and cheer for it like a disney cartoon. It's one of those pleasant anime that I can comfortably watch around even a ten year old.

I'm a stranger who happens to like K-on for what it is. My identity is irrelevant.

At least give us your age XD
(Wasn't that the purpose of this thread? To like...tell what kinds of ppl watch K-ON?)
Old 2010-09-28, 03:00   Link #35
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

The actual question that applies to me is: "Why do you continue to watch K-ON!?"

The answer is:
Them.

But MOSTLY:
Her. Damn it, I love Yui~ She's hilarious XD
Old 2010-09-28, 03:06   Link #36
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milfeulle9001 View Post
I watch K-On because it's entertaining.

Do I need any other reason?
This. Really didn't think we'd need a thread just to talk about why we watch a show.
Old 2010-09-28, 04:16   Link #37
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
bloppyblue
Quote:

I didn't quite enjoy my high school days. Wished i was a little more confident.

Shiroth
Quote:
This. Really didn't think we'd need a thread just to talk about why we watch a show.
Exactly, otherwise we won't even bother to visit K-ON forum here.
Old 2010-09-28, 17:54   Link #38
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That is not the purpose of this thread.
Old 2010-09-28, 18:09   Link #39
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Well, it's not just about why we watch the show... It's also asking about the audience, the viewers. If there are any emotional ties to the show, inspirations and anything deeper than just the fact that it's a nice show. It's a thread asking who you are and what about you that draws you to K-ON... I think lol.
Old 2010-09-28, 18:16   Link #40
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

When I saw the first episode, I had a lot of concerns. Seeing the second episode, when Yui was determined to get my favorite guitar...that was it.

Afterwards, I couldn't stop watching it, and it inspires me to keep playing (well, "inspire" and "brainwash" are two different words, seeing as how I usually keep playing JUST K-ON! songs).

EDIT: I'm a 19 year old Canadian-Korean male. I have an unnatural obsession for these cutesy anime shows, but I also love psychological shows like Kaiji.

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2010-09-28 at 18:49. Reason: Ah yes, how could I forget to talk about myself~
Closed Thread