AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-06-02, 01:25   Link #241
Max Stirner

I would have to rate G Gundam as my favorite; it is the anime that got me into anime after all. Kind of an ugly show with a terrible English dub, but the unique approach the series took to Gundam and the colorful characters still win me over. Imagawa's got some major mecha skills. Turn A and 08th MS are also excellent. I never really cared for the two Seed series outside of the music.
Max Stirner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 02:15   Link #242
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

For me, it's Wing, since not only was it the first Gundam series that I was introduced to, but it also featured characters that I can relate to, like Quatre and Relena.
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 12:45   Link #243
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Gundam 00 I guess since it got me into gunpla, even though Seed started me off some years back. Havent watched enough of UC yet to make a judgment of it.
Old 2010-06-21, 19:43   Link #244
tetsuo69

Gundam Seed
Old 2010-06-27, 09:04   Link #245
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Gundam Wing
Old 2010-06-27, 13:09   Link #246
L_A_G
Sugar rush 24/7

I'm going with 00

All the gundam shows I've seen so far have been quite silly and 00 is the least silly of them all...
L_A_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 13:10   Link #247
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A_G View Post
I'm going with 00

All the gundam shows I've seen so far have been quite silly and 00 is the least silly of them all...
Which series have you watched?

I don't know what you're definition of silly is but this ranks pretty high in my opinion:

Old 2010-06-27, 13:24   Link #248
Kittenlady

That wasn't silly, that was fanservice, and I don't think anyone was suprised at T-chan making a pretty lady. Don't forget that the innovators were designed to be androgynous, too.

The silliest thing was the floating sparkly naked people in space, but apparently that happens in all of them so it doesn't count.

I've only actually seen 00 and Seed, liked both but 00 definitely takes the cake for me.
Kittenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 14:52   Link #249
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittenlady View Post
That wasn't silly, that was fanservice, and I don't think anyone was suprised at T-chan making a pretty lady. Don't forget that the innovators were designed to be androgynous, too.

The silliest thing was the floating sparkly naked people in space, but apparently that happens in all of them so it doesn't count.

I've only actually seen 00 and Seed, liked both but 00 definitely takes the cake for me.
Being fan service doesn't make it any less pointless in my book. Not a big deal though.
Old 2010-06-27, 15:15   Link #250
Kittenlady

Being pointless isn't a bad thing~ Especially when it looks like that.
Kittenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 15:29   Link #251
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

The only real problem I have with older UC series is that their theme, construction and presentation are very repetitive. Also, they are not up to date thus modern day viewer can find them boring to say the least. Combination of those along with older style of graphics and music makes older UC series 'user unfriendly'. Unicorn, IGLOO tries/d to fill that gap.

@Elo the Blue

You know, aside from UC, each Gundam series has things that go way overboard common reason. Take G Gundam for example, humans can kick a skyscraper buried into the ground a hundred meters above the ground level. Wing, with it's consistent physics inconsistency, g pilot indestructible Leo's or any of the Heero antics i.e. regaining consciousness without any fluctuations or changes to his brainwaves. Seed with Kira's cockroach invulnerability to any form of explosion... to name a few.

If you'd given any of those series to a normal anime fan who never saw anything Gundam related, directed him to the respective episodes that featured mentioned events, he'd probably laugh his ass off while turning off the DVD player.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 15:36   Link #252
Yuna Amakura

Well, I don't remember in 00:
Spoiler for scene:

I won't say that 00 doesn't have silly moments (Setsuna and Marina's first meeting, Liu Mei's reason for wanting to change the world) but the other series have maaaany other situations that border on the unacceptable.
Yuna Amakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 15:48   Link #253
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The Kira/Strike/Reverend thing was already explained in Astray.
Old 2010-06-27, 16:13   Link #254
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
The only real problem I have with older UC series is that their theme, construction and presentation are very repetitive. Also, they are not up to date thus modern day viewer can find them boring to say the least. Combination of those along with older style of graphics and music makes older UC series 'user unfriendly'. Unicorn, IGLOO tries/d to fill that gap.

@Elo the Blue

You know, aside from UC, each Gundam series has things that go way overboard common reason. Take G Gundam for example, humans can kick a skyscraper buried into the ground a hundred meters above the ground level. Wing, with it's consistent physics inconsistency, g pilot indestructible Leo's or any of the Heero antics i.e. regaining consciousness without any fluctuations or changes to his brainwaves. Seed with Kira's cockroach invulnerability to any form of explosion... to name a few.

If you'd given any of those series to a normal anime fan who never saw anything Gundam related, directed him to the respective episodes that featured mentioned events, he'd probably laugh his ass off while turning off the DVD player.
I agree with you somewhat about the older UC series but repeating themes are throughout the entire Gundam multi-verse. Once you can get past the old animation though, I think you can definitely appreciate series like the original, Zeta, 0080 and 08th MS Team for their quality.

UC actually has quite of a bit elements that go "overboard common reason" but you're right, there are things that don't make sense throughout Gundam.
Old 2010-06-27, 16:19   Link #255
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna Amakura View Post
Well, I don't remember in 00:
Spoiler for scene:

I won't say that 00 doesn't have silly moments (Setsuna and Marina's first meeting, Liu Mei's reason for wanting to change the world) but the other series have maaaany other situations that border on the unacceptable.
It's really subjective. To hardcore, bigot UC fans, there might be nothing far out about Newtypes but Innovators, while more realistic, are just attempted rip-offs of Newtypes.

Everyone has their different preferences.
Old 2010-06-27, 17:01   Link #256
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
I wouldn't say that's necessarily true. After all, at one point or another, we're all strangers to gundam.

And gundam's oddities aren't really that different than many other works of fictions, especially in the realms of sci-fi and/or fantasy.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 18:05   Link #257
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Which series have you watched?

I don't know what you're definition of silly is but this ranks pretty high in my opinion:
Tieria-chan!

--I mean. I don't see the problem with it. Since Tieria is an innovator he can easily play as a woman. Though I don't think this is the place to discuss any of this? Maybe I'm wrong.

Quote:
Being pointless isn't a bad thing~ Especially when it looks like that.
Actually I think Tieria looks pretty sharp in dat dress.

Ahem... I'd have to say Gundam Wing is a favorite since it was, in truth, the final letter to spell my mecha interest. Escaflowne certainly started it and Gundam Wing got me interested enough for me to pursue it as a genre preference.

If I said anything about Gundam 00, it would be full-blown bias. So I'll just skip that.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 18:38   Link #258
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

As androgynous as Tieria is, and with the confirmation that most combat-type Innovades are genderless, any time Tieria plays a female is crossdressing because he was confirmed to be male.

Anyways... favorites? Of the ones I've watched entirely, Gundam 00, Gundam SEED, and Gundam Wing, in that order. G-Gundam will likely supplant SEED as number 2 when I watch it fully (still need to get that second box set).
Old 2010-06-27, 19:46   Link #259
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Tieria-chan!

--I mean. I don't see the problem with it. Since Tieria is an innovator he can easily play as a woman. Though I don't think this is the place to discuss any of this? Maybe I'm wrong.
I know Innovades are androgynous. I just felt him dressing up a female was unnecessary.
Old 2010-06-27, 22:55   Link #260
Washu-Chan