AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-03, 14:26   Link #161
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Honestly speaking, what are the roles the maid, the president and the secretary are playing with regards to fairy tales?
The Kiriki siblings are derived from Aesop's The Ant and the Grasshopper. Alice (being the hard worker of the two) is the ant, and Lizst is the grasshopper. Otsuu is derived from a Japanese folk tale called "The Grateful Crane" (or thereabouts).

And while Majolica is a witch, her name is derived from Arthurian legend, Morgan le Fay. Not sure what that says about her role in the story, but it's worth pondering.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 15:02   Link #162
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

In due time we will recognize the legends or fables the different characters allude to. While the fairy tale motif isn't something original, I can see this series as a wonderful aperitif. The Cinderella one is already addressed; Little Red Riding Hood, the hunter and the wolf (subverted by being friends in this incarnation) was already seen; and as Midonin noted, so is a character of Arthurian legend, another fable, and a Japanese folk tale.

Thanks for that.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 15:22   Link #163
ZeKeR
Superbad

so the stories that were include here are......

teh wolf
little red herself
the hunter

care to add more on the list? i still cant get where the prez and the other characters belong to a story here....

and also... i gotta voice it.... the hunter here is half coward.... JUST like his story counterpart... but in this case.... he's got godlike accuracy which his story counterpart didnt have (i mean he MISSED at window range)
Old 2010-07-03, 15:29   Link #164
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
i still cant get where the prez and the other characters belong to a story here....
...I just answered three of them two posts above yours. But as long as we're going through the Otogi Bank members, might as well round it off. Taro and Otohime are the most obvious. Their names are lifted almost directly from the story of Urashima Taro.

お前, 僕に釣られてみる?
Old 2010-07-03, 16:16   Link #165
chaos_animagic

LOL, this anime is soooo fun.

Watching different Fairy/ Folk Tales combine into one with super funniness.

BTW... Ookami looks HAWT... LOL @ the neko-knuckles... and LOL @ the prince "kick me, kick me more" LOL....
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 16:31   Link #166
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
The Kiriki siblings are derived from Aesop's The Ant and the Grasshopper. Alice (being the hard worker of the two) is the ant, and Lizst is the grasshopper. Otsuu is derived from a Japanese folk tale called "The Grateful Crane" (or thereabouts).

And while Majolica is a witch, her name is derived from Arthurian legend, Morgan le Fay. Not sure what that says about her role in the story, but it's worth pondering.
Thanks for the info, the Red Riding Hood parallel is very obvious even without the narrator pointing it out and the moment I heard the name Urashima and Otohime it's also clear, but I have no idea about the rest.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 16:49   Link #167
Miraluka
Banned

The first episode has many good points but the bad points are...well more than good there are -3-.
Liked the last part about the Cinderella..... Hey! Whats with the member of Judgement narrator? putting emphasis on the same thing many times kills the joke.
Rate: 4/10 for now, it can get better.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 19:18   Link #168
Roardel

That's true main characters remind us of other series, yet the story and plot reach to the average. I like this show. I hope following episodes are based on folktales all over the world.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 21:31   Link #169
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Arai Satomi
She's going to turn 30 on Sunday.

Happy Birthday!
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 23:23   Link #170
NeoDragon

Inital impressions:

Pretty standard plot. A few interesting ideas, but not really capitalized.
Ookami reminds me of Tifa in looks, mix of Taiga and Hina in attitude. Not sure if i really like her as much.
NeoDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 23:41   Link #171
OkamiNoKaze

Watched Episode 1, this show is great, I like Ookami, she's very cool, also her uniform design is probably my second favorite ever. First being the black and white ones from the first Tenchi Muyo movie. Ringo is pretty funny. Youch for that kick to the face, it was even funnier in the epilogue. I think the narrator is funny. I like narrators and characters that break the 4th wall.
Old 2010-07-04, 00:01   Link #172
krko
The Movie is Coming

When I saw a pic of Ookami in another site, I seriously thought that was a Taiga parody..

The first episode wasn't anything special, with the exception utterly hilarious post credit sequence. The Lemony Narrator brought a few smiles but after Hayate its not that hilarious anymore. The red riding hood thing the main characters have going on interests me. In particular, that shadowy figure in the OP looks like it could be Ringo's grandmother.

The -su thing is annoying as hell though. Stealth Momo was already too much.
krko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 10:20   Link #173
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
How is the name Majolica related to Arthur's half-sister?

If so, is that a possible plot hole for a siscon Arthur to suddenly appear?

P.S (OT) Who is the girl in your avatar?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 18:59   Link #174
Dop
Mmmm....

I enjoyed that. It was entertainingly daft and likeable, and the narrator really made it for me.
Fourth wall? What fourth wall?
I loved the masochistic denouement to their take on Cinderella.

I literally laughed out loud, on a number of occasions.

If it can do that, I'll keep watching it.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 19:05   Link #175
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
How is the name Majolica related to Arthur's half-sister?
Not Majolica, her full name is "Majolica Ru Fei", so the "Fei" part, references "le Fay" which is related to "fairy" (sometimes "faerie").
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 19:10   Link #176
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
"Majolica Ru Fei"
It's written in katakana, and I checked, so translating her name as "Majolica le Fay" is acceptable, and, given what they were going for, probably the intended way to spell it. The last name has been imported directly.
Old 2010-07-04, 23:49   Link #177
Dahak86
Classics never age

the rest of the ep was good too. And I liked "kuroko" narrator.
It's just the male-lead(?) is such a wimp... I guess, I'm finally starting to see Yuuto (OH) in a new a light, thanks to him. lol
Anyway, I'll keep watching this just to see how future fairy tales will play out, and for the funny-fanservicey shots.
Old 2010-07-05, 00:09   Link #178
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Well there you are, was wondering which series you are going to follow besides Strike Pantsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
It's just the male-lead(?) is such a wimp... I guess, I'm finally starting to see Yuuto (OH) in a new a light, thanks to him. lol
What kind of order did we do here? Yuuto, then Sai Akuto, then this guy. Weak ->Too strong ->Wimp..... so unbalanced

Now you gave me a strange idea: doing my own 4koma fairy tales based on Ookami-san

I'm not saying I'm doing that!

mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 03:17   Link #179
Jarmel

Ok episode. It definitely didn't wow me. The main male character was more pathetic than I expected though. I certainly hope he levels up somewhere. The kick me in the face part was hilarious though and I did like the kitten gloves.

I did like the OP and it is somewhat catchy.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 05:26   Link #180
JaLooNz
Longtime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
the rest of the ep was good too. And I liked "kuroko" narrator.
Same thing here... love the Kuroko narration, and this series looks to be rather interesting. Seems like I am into shows done by JC Staff.
JaLooNz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen