AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-13, 00:12   Link #41
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Yeah, I'm happy it'll focus on what looks to be Hei/Yin scenes, but it's also throwing out death flags everywhere. I just don't see a happy ending in season 2.
Old 2009-11-13, 00:19   Link #42
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange View Post
Yeah, I'm happy it'll focus on what looks to be Hei/Yin scenes, but it's also throwing out death flags everywhere. I just don't see a happy ending in season 2.
It is "darker than black" after all. XD
Old 2009-11-13, 00:30   Link #43
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I dunno about all that; this series may have a somewhat dark mood, but with the here-to-stay humor elements in DtB, I wouldn't count on dark endings. There are series-es a lot darker than this that end nicely.
Old 2009-11-13, 04:52   Link #44
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Really? You see in DtB there wasn't a single happy ending in any arcs and perhaps not even in the ending. Problems are solved but always at a great cost. Currently it's the same with the second season.
We don't even know if Hei has romantical feelings for Yin...heck even he doesn't know it. And we even less know if she's going to survive. Most probably not as everyone Hei wanted to kill died in the end even if he changed his opinion.
Old 2009-11-13, 05:51   Link #45
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Really? You see in DtB there wasn't a single happy ending in any arcs and perhaps not even in the ending. Problems are solved but always at a great cost. Currently it's the same with the second season.
Well I hardly think it matters so much how the background, by-the-arc characters of the previous season turned out as much as how the main characters turned out. The season 1 ending wasn't truly dark by any means. You want to see a dark ending, watch Gundam 0080. That's dark. And there are plenty of other truly dark endings out there; DtB certainly isn't on their level of dark. Heck, even with all the darkness in it, Soukou no Strain ended happily too.
Plus in Bones' history, we've never gotten any sad/dark endings; on the contrary, they have a history of giving us happy endings. I don't see a perfect ending for DtB of course (or they may give us one after all), but a "Hei and Yin survive and live on together, and Suou lives on too" ending is well within Bones' track record.

Quote:
We don't even know if Hei has romantical feelings for Yin...heck even he doesn't know it. And we even less know if she's going to survive. Most probably not as everyone Hei wanted to kill died in the end even if he changed his opinion.
I'd say the CM for the upcoming OVA alone is pretty strong evidence of a relationship between them, whether it's romantic or brother-sister. And there's nothing telling us that she won't survive for a fact either, so I don't know why everybody's calling death flags. Yin isn't the first female character to be caught by the enemy in an anime, you know. As for your third sentence there......I'm not sure what you're saying. There are some grammar issues there.

Anyways, my point is that there isn't a point in everybody calling death flags and bad endings; I've seen darker than DtB turn out very well (V Gundam is another series that comes to mind), so let's not call the score halfway before the game is over.
Old 2009-11-13, 06:13   Link #46
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

No grammar mistakes. The ones he wanted to kill he killed(or at least died) even if later he changed his opinion about it and didn't want to do it. Good example is Amber. He hated her more than the closing hours of his favourite eating place.
But later he forgave her and even wanted her to stay...
And DtB wasn't famous for the romantic conclusions. Actually even with secondary characters I only remember one(the yakuza and the doll) who got a somehow happy ending.

But well I have nothing against it. Afterall the Yin in the second season seems to became more interesting and have some character.
(still the Yin-squee's are similary unjustified as Felli's...what the heck is awesome in the emotionless white-haired "lolies"?)
Old 2009-11-13, 06:24   Link #47
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
No grammar mistakes.
Okay then, missing commas.

Quote:
The ones he wanted to kill he killed(or at least died) even if later he changed his opinion about it and didn't want to do it. Good example is Amber. He hated her more than the closing hours of his favourite eating place.
But later he forgave her and even wanted her to stay...
That can actually be interpreted as a happy(-ish) conclusion rather than a dark one, you know?
Amber didn't die some tragic, "Hei Cries all day" death, but rather died peacefully, having made peace with him. She smiled all the way to the end. That's the kind of ending that Bones has a history of making for the good guy main characters.

Quote:
And DtB wasn't famous for the romantic conclusions. Actually even with secondary characters I only remember one(the yakuza and the doll) who got a somehow happy ending.
Except DtB S1 wasn't famous for romantic anything, actually. (outside of fanart and fanfictions, of course ) We're only getting romance flags here in S2 episode 6. The S1 ending was plenty happy for a dark-ish series like DtB, just not romantic happy, since as said there wasn't really any romance in S1 to happen at all.
Old 2009-11-13, 07:10   Link #48
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Well, actually it was true only from Hei's side. He had countless characters having a crush on him and having his moments with them. Also it had romantic subtheme in some of the arcs too...
But well romance wasn't the main point of the story and it isn't going to be there too. Perhaps one or two pairings might happen...but not surely.
Old 2009-11-14, 18:54   Link #49
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
(still the Yin-squee's are similary unjustified as Felli's...what the heck is awesome in the emotionless white-haired "lolies"?)
Take that back TAKE THAT BACK!!!

My adorable Yin.....how could you defile her by comparing her to that abusive fellis!!!!

l took a liking to Yin in season 1 because she seemed to be a grown up version of primula.....

btw.... it better have a happy Yin ending or else there will be BLOODSHED!!!!
Old 2009-11-14, 22:03   Link #50
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post

Is it time to rumble yet?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-11-14, 22:50   Link #51
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
Take that back TAKE THAT BACK!!!

With you there, comrade. *prepares arsenal of weapons*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Is it time to rumble yet?
not just rumble, but rrrrrrrrrrummmmmbleeeeeeee!!!!
Old 2009-11-14, 23:25   Link #52
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post

not just rumble, but rrrrrrrrrrummmmmbleeeeeeee!!!!
Shame that I can't be with ya guys since I don't mind Hei (Li) and Misaki.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-11-15, 00:06   Link #53
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Shame that I can't be with ya guys since I don't mind Hei (Li) and Misaki.
Misaki never had any impact on me, regrettably.

That's why I surprised even myself for adoring Yin because I don't normally fall for moe characters!
Old 2009-11-15, 02:54   Link #54
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

But she was just that. Hell, she still don't have any kind of character yet. She's as good as a plot device for now...though cute maskot is similar in the role.
Perhaps the DVD extras might change my opinion, but Yin didn't shown anything other than her affection to Hei.
But we'll see. I bet Yin is now like Bai's replacement for him.
Old 2009-11-15, 04:13   Link #55
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Are you suggesting his relationship with Bai, was an incestuous one?
Old 2009-11-15, 04:14   Link #56
Arissa

Isn't it weired Yin killing people? Like she kill Norio's mom.And I really don't think Doll have a power to kill contractors or humans.They're just an observer.
Old 2009-11-15, 04:18   Link #57
Equidistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arissa View Post
Isn't it weired Yin killing people? Like she kill Norio's mom.And I really don't think Doll have a power to kill contractors or humans.They're just an observer.
Go watch the OVA PV, at the very end some random guy says Yin may soon be too much for him to handle and even to much for Hei to handle, suggesting she does become some sort of weapon.
Old 2009-11-15, 04:22   Link #58
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
But she was just that. Hell, she still don't have any kind of character yet. She's as good as a plot device for now...though cute maskot is similar in the role.
Perhaps the DVD extras might change my opinion, but Yin didn't shown anything other than her affection to Hei.
It's clinically tested that humans tend to focus on the things that reinforce their bias.

For Yin lovers such as myself, I will always look back to the scenes where (I think) Yin's character shone and this reinforces my adoration of her and so on and so forth.

Unsurprisingly, this would not be the case for the non-Yin lovers. For them these instances would be nothing but trivial, meaningless or as you mentioned the other time, cliche thus equally reinforcing that belief.

So uh, I suppose if you keep asking "Why Yin? Why the huge number of following?" I don't think anything constructive about Yin will change your mind except if you choose to do so yourself.

I'm guilty for doing this myself, but it's far easier to find fault rather than the other way around. In other words, "we choose what we want to see".
Old 2009-11-15, 04:22   Link #59
Arissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantQuiteGuess View Post
Go watch the OVA PV, at the very end some random guy says Yin may soon be too much for him to handle and even to much for Hei to handle, suggesting she does become some sort of weapon.
Yeah,I've watched that and I guess Syndicate know something about Yin.
Old 2009-11-15, 04:23   Link #60
Equidistant

Quote:
I wouldn't say that's completely true, the thing with Yin is she never expresses emotion outwardly. She always has to same facial expressions, same demeanor, so it's hard to read how much her character has grown. There were lots of things in S1 that suggested she had become more than a doll, it's just she never gained the ability to express that outwardly.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters