AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2012-01-07, 09:10   Link #4021
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Pissed off Gildarts is best Gildarts. Hurt HIS friends? Say goodbye.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 10:36   Link #4022
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Really, I feel as though I've watched everything I've need to watch thanks to that opening... >.> But that was a nice visual parallel they drew with the little girl and Zeref... Makes me wonder...*goes to the manga thread*

Ah but one just has to watch it. They did a really good job in fleshing out Cana's backstory. If there is one thing they do well, is fleshing things out moreso than what was in the manga and I believe Cana's story was well done. Oh Cana tries so hard, she really deserves a break. She's put herself through hell just to be able to tell her own father that she's his daughter and she really didn't have to. She's very well respected in Fairy Tail, even if she is a bottle fair.

And speaking of 'breaks', it looks like Daddy Gildarts is gonna break his foot off in Bluenote's ass in 5...4....3... A true Clash of the Titans is coming up next week - nobody better miss it!

Last edited by Tempest35; 2012-01-07 at 11:07.
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 11:05   Link #4023
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

*skipping every bit with Cana included*

I love you Gild-Gild, please don't stop being awesome.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 11:06   Link #4024
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
New OP and ED, eh? The OP makes me think they are going into the next Arc (after possibly a week or two break).

Anyway, I've always wondered exactly what Fairy Glitter does. Fairy Law is the ultimate attack spell, defeating anyone the caster sees as an enemy. I won't talk about the 3rd spell because of spoilers, but given it's nature, what avenue is left for Fairy Glitter? Having watched this episode, I have to wonder if it maybe is some sort of an... adjust reality spell. When she cast the spell, Gildarts showed up, and the previews for next ep show a couple of others showing up. Could it also be some sort of "summon Fairy Tail help" spell? Or just a spell to swing despair into hope?

Because why would Mavis give he spell to Cana if she couldn't really use it? Would seem kinda pointless. It had to do something.

Anyway, looking forward to Gildarts vs. Bluenote. Should be pretty good.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 11:09   Link #4025
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Anyway, I've always wondered exactly what Fairy Glitter does. Fairy Law is the ultimate attack spell, defeating anyone the caster sees as an enemy. I won't talk about the 3rd spell because of spoilers, but given it's nature, what avenue is left for Fairy Glitter? Having watched this episode, I have to wonder if it maybe is some sort of an... adjust reality spell. When she cast the spell, Gildarts showed up, and the previews for next ep show a couple of others showing up. Could it also be some sort of "summon Fairy Tail help" spell? Or just a spell to swing despair into hope?
"Warp Complete."

"CARRIER HAS ARRIVED."

Old 2012-01-07, 11:47   Link #4026
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
"Warp Complete."

"CARRIER HAS ARRIVED."

God, I love you for that!

Quote:

Because why would Mavis give he spell to Cana if she couldn't really use it? Would seem kinda pointless. It had to do something.
Maybe Mavis just wanted to troll Cana...cause she's a selfish bitch (Cana) and I still think she should be kicked out of Fairy Tail.

But seriously...like I said I skipped every bit with Cana included so that was...nearly the entire episode? Anyway I don't know if Bluenote said it or not, but in the manga he said that Fairy Glitter rejected every enemy. So while Fairy Law eliminates every enemy, Fairy Glitter rejects them (and kinda blinds them xD).
Old 2012-01-07, 12:42   Link #4027
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
*skipping every bit with Cana included*
Meaning you're skipping the best episode of the series.
Old 2012-01-07, 13:07   Link #4028
HiddenMessage
Tofu Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
"Warp Complete."

"CARRIER HAS ARRIVED."

Looks more like a very bright colored "Recall".
HiddenMessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 13:38   Link #4029
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
To you maybe, to me...anything that involves Cana is downgraded to "Meh" scene/episode. Plus, I've already read the manga so it doesn't bother me not having to watch the bitch finally figuring out how much of a moron she was.

I don't know why it got to this...but I just have an irrational hatred for Cana...and she used to be one of my favorite females of the series! I wanted more Cana! Now I just want her to fade into the background again.
Seriously, Cana went from one of the favorites to most hated in the series and one of the most hated characters in all of the manga I've read. She's even above Sasuke D:
Old 2012-01-07, 13:56   Link #4030
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
New OP and ED, eh? The OP makes me think they are going into the next Arc (after possibly a week or two break).

Anyway, looking forward to Gildarts vs. Bluenote. Should be pretty good.
I dunno, if I had to hazard a guess:

1. Fairy Law is AOE where damage is proportional to how evil you are (and probably distance from the caster.)
2. Fairy Glitter is single target and high damage regardless of level of evilness.

I.e. Law "judges all" and Glitter "forgives no one" which is the original Japanese descriptions.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 14:35   Link #4031
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Agree that I didn't care for the Cana scenes and hope this leads her to falling back into the background...or getting kicked out of the guild. I mean seriously this is the reason they give so people will accept Cana's stupidity this arc? I was seriously hoping for something better than this. She just set S Class as a goal on her own. Almost think she wanted to use it as an excuse for never telling Gildarts she's his daughter. Yeah, betraying your guild is totally a good way to get in good with your dad....

Plus the line, "Where are you Master?" was just too much. Maybe he's out fighting the strongest Dark Guild in the world Cana!

This is probably the weakest Fairy Tail backstory we've gotten so far. "I couldn't tell my dad I'm his daughter." Could appreciate the difficult position of being the child of someone powerful, but we already hit that kind of thing with Laxus anyways. He gets kicked out for his stunt...Cana gets a super powerful magic . Of course unlike the time Lucy got that super powerful magic inserted into her head, Cana doesn't have the ability to make use of it. I get that Cana's been through a lot, but doesn't mean I enjoyed the series attempting to redeem her or think she deserves credit for doing what she should have been from the very start.

Still some positives from the episode. Should get one badass episode from Gildarts since he's pissed. Makarov is down and everyone is in a rough state. He's actually a proper Fairy Tail mage in that he's downright pissed right now.

Mavis being a woman was an interesting surprise. Give her credit in that she created a strong guild and tried to pick the right person to lead it going forward. Despite the guy going bad after leaving, it does appear she picked well since it lead to Makarov being groomed into a guy who could lead it to this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
If this was the best episode I would have dropped Fairy Tail long ago .
Old 2012-01-07, 16:14   Link #4032
Kaijo
Banned

Cana has spent years focusing on Gildarts, wanting to prove to herself that she is his daughter. Wanting to show him that she is his daughter. A child wanting a father's approval is a trope as old as time. that thinking consumed her, until all she could see was that, in order to live up to how great he was, she had to become S class like him.

I don't like perfect characters too much, so introducing this flaw into her character makes her more human, to me. And in the end, she still realized what she had done, and that her pursuit of her goal had blinded her to what was really important. that scene with her crying, and refocusing her goal, touched me far more than if she had never put Lucy to sleep and played the good little fairy tail mage.

Regardless of what you think of her, this course of action put her more firmly in the spotlight than if she was just relegated to the background as a normal mage.

What about Wendy? Did all the good things, still got her ass kicked, and hasn't done much since. Would you really want Cana to be like Wendy?
Old 2012-01-07, 16:52   Link #4033
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Food for thought:

You'd have to wonder if the process of conceiving Cana might have contributed to her mother's untimely death, considering the partner involved.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 17:10   Link #4034
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Cana has spent years focusing on Gildarts, wanting to prove to herself that she is his daughter. Wanting to show him that she is his daughter. A child wanting a father's approval is a trope as old as time. that thinking consumed her, until all she could see was that, in order to live up to how great he was, she had to become S class like him.

I don't like perfect characters too much, so introducing this flaw into her character makes her more human, to me. And in the end, she still realized what she had done, and that her pursuit of her goal had blinded her to what was really important. that scene with her crying, and refocusing her goal, touched me far more than if she had never put Lucy to sleep and played the good little fairy tail mage.

Regardless of what you think of her, this course of action put her more firmly in the spotlight than if she was just relegated to the background as a normal mage.

What about Wendy? Did all the good things, still got her ass kicked, and hasn't done much since. Would you really want Cana to be like Wendy?
I think this went a bit beyond introducing a flaw. If this was the best they could think of to give Cana some depth then it's a pretty sad result. Any time a character has gotten some development it's usually been handled pretty well. It's not like there aren't a million different backgrounds or motivations they could have given Cana. Nothing wrong with being a flawed character or wanting to give her depth, but doesn't mean it should shelter her from criticism.

Asking if I wanted Cana to be like Wendy, would kind of be insulting Wendy . A kid who has only started to develop and tap into her ability and is slowly getting there compared to someone who has been in the guild for a seriously long time. I have no doubt Wendy will continue to develop and take a stronger position in the series as time goes on. And don't think she'll have to be a traitor to do it.
Old 2012-01-07, 18:26   Link #4035
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think this went a bit beyond introducing a flaw. If this was the best they could think of to give Cana some depth then it's a pretty sad result. Any time a character has gotten some development it's usually been handled pretty well. It's not like there aren't a million different backgrounds or motivations they could have given Cana. Nothing wrong with being a flawed character or wanting to give her depth, but doesn't mean it should shelter her from criticism.
The fact that her plotline this arc has gotten to you, is proof that it is working. She did something stupid; great! It makes her human. She realized her mistake and learned from it, resolving to be stronger.

I'm not sure what else you expect. Flaws are flaws because they are flaws. What kind of character flaw would you have given Cana this arc, that would have been "better" in your eyes? Something that would allow some focus on her and grow her character? How would she act different? What would she learn?

Quote:
Asking if I wanted Cana to be like Wendy, would kind of be insulting Wendy . A kid who has only started to develop and tap into her ability and is slowly getting there compared to someone who has been in the guild for a seriously long time. I have no doubt Wendy will continue to develop and take a stronger position in the series as time goes on. And don't think she'll have to be a traitor to do it.
When I made the comparison, I was referring to this arc specifically, with regards to plotlines. Wendy doesn't have much of a plotline this arc. She's just.... there. So my question essentially was: "Would you prefer Cana to be like Wendy, a character that is just there and doesn't grow in any fashion? Or would you like her to have a flaw that showcases her humanity, and thereby leads to growth?"
Old 2012-01-07, 18:58   Link #4036
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Wanting to live up to daddy is no excuse to what she did. Cana bailed on the rest of the guild in their time of need for her own selfish reasons, however had it been only that I would be ok with it. It was a huge lapse of judgment but somewhat excusable (not really but lets just say it was). However! It wasn't just that, she saw how strong just 1 of the 7 kins was, yet she not only had Gray split up from the group so he wouldn't find the oh so glorious location of the grave, and knocked Lucy unconscious, leaving her alone, in an unknown place knowing full well there were highly dangerous enemies running around.
All of it put together goes beyond what is expectable and in my opinion forgivable.

Quote:
The thing is, Cana was not a perfect character to begin with. Not only that but there were plenty of ways of introducing "flaws" to her character that didn't involve her literally betraying her comrades for a selfish goal. Lucy could have been killed due to her delusion and lack of rational thought.
So far we've seen that every FT member (without brining the whole Luxus thing up) thinks of the guild first and then of themselves. Cana on the other hand proved that she doesn't think of the guild first, she has little regard for the guild compared to her own selfish desires. The fact that she had to be reminded of her mistake just proves that she sub-consciously doesn't care about the guild, basically her family, as much as she should.
The scene with her crying had the opposite effect on me, you cried, but I nearly punched the screen reading it, especially because I knew that Mashima would have FT forgive her as quickly as I can snap my fingers. She received no punishment whatsoever, in fact Mavis even gave her Fairy Glitter so she could shine a bit more, cause she is certainly the FT member that most deserves it...right? >_>

Quote:
Like I said, there were plenty of ways that her story could have been played out, Mashima even kept key points a secret for so long that anything could happen by the point of her betrayal. Cana could have done many things and still receive as much, if not more character development and time under the spotlight, but Mashima went with the betrayal route. Lets not forget that FT is all about the cliche friendship and family love, yet Cana showed none of that until SHE WAS REMINDED OF HER ACTIONS. That shows that, like I said before, she isn't just flawed, she is weak and broken.
Actually, even if the story progressed the same way, all it needed was one little thing...say for example, instead of knocking Lucy out she sent her with Gray while she looked for grave. Yes, it was still horrible that she left the guild alone while they were being attacked for her own selfishness, but still it would be obvious that in the midst of all that, she had to worry of sending Lucy with Gray who could keep her safe better than leaving her laying on the side of the road with little cover...

Quote:
Wendy is much younger and much weaker than Cana, hell she isn't even a fighter to begin with. Wendy is the White Mage of FT, she's there to stay back and do that healing while the others fight. Healer characters are naturally placed in the background, especially during heated moments in the arcs because their abilities, while super useful, are in no way the most exciting compared to the huge blasts from the fighters.
Also, she has done much, much more than Cana in the previous arcs, and even in this one considering that she isn't a fighter. If you compare Wendy's achievements and character development with the main characters (Natsu, Lucy, even Gray and Erza) then of course she comes short, any other character would, but when compared to any other character she has actually evolved quite a bit and has done a lot more than most.
Let's not forget that while Wendy is a new addition to the guild and also a DS, the main characters are still Natsu and Lucy with Gray and Erza following close behind. Wendy was not introduced to be a main character much like Gajeel, she was introduced to be the new DS addition to FT and possibly for main plot development later on.

I'm all for flaws and flawed characters, but this time it went completely overboard. Especially considering there are is no punishment for Cana, hell she was even rewarded...
Old 2012-01-07, 21:54   Link #4037
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Rewarded? Heh heh, more like, she was forgiven.

I've been following the last couple of posts on my phone but I was at work and my reply would have been far too long to be typing out on that lil screen...

I'll say this first: There is merit to both sides of the Cana issue, but I feel as though some key points were missed on both sides as well and I'd like to bring them up now. Mind you, this isn't to bash anyone for regarding Cana as they already do. (sigh, great, now I get to actually act my age *_*)

Yes, Cana did put her own priorities over the welfare of her comrades and her guild - there is no arguement there. While personally, what she did isn't big enough to warrant an expulsion or even much dwelling on after the fact. Put what she did and what Laxus did on the same scale, what Laxus did still overshadows what Cana did. They both had their 'point of no return' come up and while Laxus passed that point, Cana turned back.

Laxus's point came when he learned that Makarov had suffered a major heartattack and was in danger of dying. What did he do? He brushed it off, laughed about it, and pressed on with his ambition. He was finally beaten into submission and expelled from the guild. For Cana, her point came up when Lucy's card was crying 'Help, Help, Help'. What did she do? Yes, she broke down and cried, finally realizing the gravity of what she was doing. NO one had to 'beat it into her' - she realized that on her own. When she did that, despite knowing that what she did constituted an act of betrayal to her friends, she wanted to help as quickly as possible. All in all, what she did, I don't think was as serious as she thought it was, but by calling her own actions 'an act of treason against Fairy Tail' should let everyone know just how serious she took it.

There's one really, really good reason why Cana will probably never be reprimanded about it, even if and when she fully explains herself to everyone - she was given Fairy Glitter by Mavis, 1st Master of Fairy Tail. One of the three Great Spells of Fairy Tail was given to Cana, who had pushed on with continuing the test despite the danger, broken a powerful team of herself, Lucy and Gray in a bid to find the grave, and even rendered Lucy, someone who became her partner solely because of Cana, unconscious and in harm's way. Why was that - it's fairly obvious: Mavis forgave her.

Now, before you becry the entire 'forgive and forget' thing, I'm sure you are aware of where Cana was coming from when she went off to do her own thing. She only joined the guild because her father was in it, originally. Time when on, and the other members, namely Waka and Maco, trained her up to where she could be considered to test for an S-class on her own. This was the 6th time she was taking this S-class test - 6 times taking a test - yeah, that would stress anyone out. Out of the six, three times, she was beaten by Laxus, Erza, and Mirajane that we know of. Without reaching the lvl of S-class, she felt as though she didn't deserve to be acknowledged as the daughter of Gildarts Clive - the most powerful and most popular mage in all of Fairy Tail, 2nd to the Master. It was a childish ambition, a pure and honest child's ambition, to be seen as worthy of the attention and affection of such a popular parent due to their own merits and not on the merits of her father. This was revealed in the anime when after Cana stuck her hand towards the grave and we see the image of Cana slowly reverting back to when she first came to the guild all those years ago. Mavis understood that what drove her to do this was her desire to be closer to her father, and that she felt that this was the last opprotunity that she'd get - it was do or die. While Cana did to a great wrong to the guild as a whole, she also showed remorse and guilt over it as well at the end - something Laxus never did (at least, enough to turn back).

To me, this is what went down at the grave (paraphrased as all hell ):

"Oh my God, what have I done? I am so ashamed of mysefl. I betrayed a friend who became my partner to help me with my wish and I betrayed everyone by ignoring this great threat to us just so I can pass this test! What am I doing!? I..I... Fo-Forget this stupid test! I need to help them! I need to help my friends! I don't need anything else, just let me help them!"

"You silly child. You've finally remembered what is really important to you. Here, I give it to you - Fairy Glitter. Now, go help them."

Mavis forgave Cana and to prove it, she bestowed Fairy Glitter onto her as well. No mage outside of the guild is suppose to utilize one of the great magics right? Well, this proves that at least Mavis thought that Cana was still a part of the guild. And what did Cana do - she raced as quickly as she could towards where Lucy was and joined the battle against Bluenote.

Cana cares very much for Fairy Tail. One can't forget the pivotal role she played in leading the defense of the guild house against the Phantom attack. There's also the matter of when she and Juvia were forced to fight against each other due to Fried's rune trap. Cana was beside herself when Juvia sacrificed herself to release her from the trap. Before this, no one questioned Cana's loyalty to the guild - it wasn't even a question to begin with. Even now, no one's really going to question it either. At the most, they'll think that she just 'misplaced' her priorities for a while but at least she had the sense to come back (better late than never). And with the obvious branding of Fairy Glitter on her arm, it's obvious that with Mavis herself backing her, even Makarove's got to take that into account if he even deems what she did to be worthy of any additional punishment.

She did take Bluenote's gravity attacks for a while so that counts as a physical punishment of sorts. Mentally, she was broken and crying her eyes out when she realized what she had done. If any of that was faked in any way, Mavis would not have given Fairy Glitter to Cana - that is what I think.

...I hope that wasn't too preachy of a tone or anything...
Old 2012-01-07, 23:01   Link #4038
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

While you make good points, let me just point out that this is Fairy Tail. It seems like its so easy to instantly forgive most (if not all) characters after they show the slightest hint of remorse.
You brought up Luxus...well he for example, was instantly forgiven by the guild when he was exiled. The exile was just a formal punishment for putting the guild in danger, and lord did he put everyone in danger. While Fairy Law showed that he still viewed everyone as non-enemies, his Thunder Palace (or whatever it's name was) still put innocent lives in danger...however he was forgiven rather quickly...

You obviously view it as "Other character's forgive them then it's all good" and that's fine, its your way of viewing it. I on the other hand view it as "Would I or anyone I know forgive her?" and in this case, I wouldn't...like I wouldn't have forgiven Luxus and even the whole of Thunder God Tribe.

It's something that always annoyed me in FT, how it's so cliche with the friendship and everything that forgiveness is almost instantly granted. Like I said, they only need to show a slight hint of remorse and BAM we don't care that you nearly got your friend's kill, we're still cool.
Would you have forgiven Cana if you were in Lucy's situation? At the very least not instantly right?

It's true, I never questioned Cana's loyalty to the guild, in fact I never questioned any member's loyalty to the guild. Even Luxus did what he did FOR the guild, in his mind at least. If anything, Lighting God Tribe should have been exiled like him because they acted on Luxus' orders rather than their belief that it was for the better of the guild.
Cana joined the guild because of her father...ok...but then again everyone had their reasons for joining all the same, some had nowhere else to go, some joined cause they could. But tell me, do you think Natsu would have left Lucy like Cana did if say...Igneel was at Mavis' Grave? Would Lucy have left Cana if say...her mother was at the top of the mountain? Would Gray have left Lucy if there was a way to bring Ur back at the grave? Would Erza have left Lucy if...I don't know, something she cared about was up there...WOULD HAPPY LEAVE LUCY IF THERE WAS FISH AT THE GRAVE!? Ah HA! Answer that one!
But seriously, I highly doubt they would...then again I thought the same of Cana, which is why her character was completely ruined for me for actually doing it.

To me...a bit of tears and a show of regret ain't enough to make up for nearly getting your friend...who was only on that god forsaken island to help you in the first place...killed by one of the many enemies roaming around the place.

Also, I don't count Bluenote's gravity attack as punishment for Cana since everyone was getting it the same way. Mental punishment? Please, she felt bad then and till the end of the arc, but then I'm pretty sure it'll be like it never happened.
If she received some actual punishment from the guild or even punish herself (say exile herself for a bit) then I would be ok with Cana once more.

As things are...I'm sorry but Cana is so ruined for me that anything that involves her, I will skip through until I hear rumors of something I would conciser appropriate for her redemption (in my eyes).
Old 2012-01-07, 23:47   Link #4039
sergel02

But all of you are missing a point (or maybe haven't, i don't feel like reading so much text 0.O), but if Cana never left them in the first place then she would have never been able to come and save them from Bluenotes. If she was with the group from the start she would have died with everyone else. Guildarts just barely saved Cana; if she hadn't fought Blue then he probably would have killed someone before Guildarts made it.

BTW she looked so Italian through the whole episode. I guess she should tho since Cana Alberone is an italian name lol
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 01:38   Link #4040
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Fairy Glitter = Galactic donuts! It's even more literal than Gotenks' version, coz this one comes from space
Quote:
Also, I don't count Bluenote's gravity attack as punishment for Cana since everyone was getting it the same way. Mental punishment? Please, she felt bad then and till the end of the arc, but then I'm pretty sure it'll be like it never happened.
If she received some actual punishment from the guild or even punish herself (say exile herself for a bit) then I would be ok with Cana once more.
IMO the appropriate thing to do would be to postpone any judgement on her until the war is over, and then forbid her to take the S-class exam ever again.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen