AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-04-28, 02:40   Link #1
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

The PSN data leak

So what are your thoughts on the PSN data leak? Fortunately, I never used a credit card on PSN. After having some problems getting MS to stop my PSO subscription way back on the original Xbox, I never used a credit card with Live or PSN. Instead I used prepaid cards.

However, the leak of other personal info is worrisome. I checked and I did at least use my real address, which is not a big deal, but I can't tell what other info I may have given PSN.

I wonder how much this is going to cost Sony. It is amazing to see the way they've self-destructed this generation after the domination they had in the previous two.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 02:47   Link #2
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

No big deal, aside from the personal info leak. Most of the bank actually got informed from Sony, and when people call them regarding the credit card in their PSN account, thing got resolved as fast as possible.
Old 2011-04-28, 03:25   Link #3
Sciel
Etoilé

Extremely disappointed in Sony. Yes they were hacked but to leak almost everything is laughable.

Thankfully all my purchases were with cards that were already cancelled.
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 03:30   Link #4
Xacual

The worst part of the situation is just that they waited almost a week to report the situation. That is absolutely unbelievable.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 03:31   Link #5
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I highly doubt sony contacted the banks of all 70 million odd customers to inform them that their customers credit card details may have been stolen and the fact it took them a week to tell any of their customers that it had happened in the first place doesn't do them any favors.

Weather anything actually ever happened or was to happen as a result of someones stolen data is irrelevant now the fact that its happened at all is the real disaster/public relations nightmare for sony and if you look at there stock value you'll see its already had an impact.

Aside from a first class action lawsuit and the pending ICO investigation I'd say alot of fans will be left with a sour taste at the end of it all and weather or not any inadequacies are actually found in the security infrastructure of the PSN it wont reverse any damage to the companies image.

So really it is a pretty big deal.

Luckily for me I never used my credit card on the PSN although my PS3 is bust anyway so I don't particularly value my PSN account at the minute.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 03:58   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Just imagine what would happen if your leaked e-mails were sold to all the spammers in the world...really glad I don't use PSN! I pity all the people who lost their money and privacy, and I can only look at Sony to make it up to them...although I bet next month DLC will be flooding with packets as usual.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 04:04   Link #7
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
No big deal, aside from the personal info leak. Most of the bank actually got informed from Sony, and when people call them regarding the credit card in their PSN account, thing got resolved as fast as possible.
I'd love to know where you heard this.
Old 2011-04-28, 04:13   Link #8
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'd love to know where you heard this.
From my brother and some other people on Kotaku. He asked the bank right after that, and when they heard the name Sony and PSN, they stopped all the transaction that may go on from there.

Well, I may be not knowledgeable about this stuff, since I only talk about my closed people's experience after all.
Old 2011-04-28, 04:22   Link #9
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*shrug* I don't own a credit card (and would never use it for online transactions anyway, for this very reason) so all they've got on me is... my name, address and e-mail. Big whoop. Hackers can get that information by hacking almost any site you register on, most of which are much easier to hack too.

What hurts me more (and even then the term hurts is more weighty than it really is to me) is the fact that PSN is down. But meh, I have enough singleplayer games to pass the time.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 04:37   Link #10
StarTouch
Yandere for win :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*shrug* I don't own a credit card (and would never use it for online transactions anyway, for this very reason) so all they've got on me is... my name, address and e-mail. Big whoop. Hackers can get that information by hacking almost any site you register on, most of which are much easier to hack too.

What hurts me more (and even then the term hurts is more weighty than it really is to me) is the fact that PSN is down. But meh, I have enough singleplayer games to pass the time.
This basically sums up what I feel regarding the situation.

Sure, not being able to access the PSN (and play Blazblue with friends out there ^_^) is a bit of a downer but as Keroko said, my single-player games (in my case, RPGs) are more than enough to keep me occupied. I'm probably gonna guess Sony's gonna slap down some discounts (or maybe even freebies?) on the PSN once it's back up.

As for the actual "external intrusion" (as Sony puts it)...I'd imagine whoever's behind it is prolly sweating at least considerably now that the FBI has been enlisted. Anyways, I don't know about others but at least for me, I've been happy with my PS3 (60 gig launch model) and Sony's been good to my gaming so...I hope this stuff gets settled soon (and has a satisfactory closure of sorts). ^_^
Old 2011-04-28, 04:41   Link #11
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I just need Sony's stock to slip a LITTLE WEE MORE so I can co-invest with a friend. With Sony releasing new tablets to battle Samsung and Apple, it is a good time to buy.

This PSN hack isn't a big deal unless you register your card. I always recommend to my friends who own PS3 to buy point cards instead, and I introduce connections to them (people living in US and Japan) to help buy and mail point cards across the world to Singapore if they registered for Japanese or US games (like a particular bishoujo-personified JRPG that caught the eye of so many of my friends....bunch of perverts ) online.

Though it is time Sony start hiring dedicated people to do their server instead of hiring pay-oriented graduates from the nearest tech university.

P.S I think we should form some sort of trade place for point cards if anyone registered for a PSN account overseas.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 04:52   Link #12
Jaden

Somehow I don't think these hackers were aiming for identity theft, but just to pwn Sony. And if that's the case, I hope they don't get caught. I'd feel sorry for them -__-
Old 2011-04-28, 05:16   Link #13
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Somehow I don't think these hackers were aiming for identity theft, but just to pwn Sony. And if that's the case, I hope they don't get caught. I'd feel sorry for them -__-
I don't. The 'because I can' mentality is something that should not be encouraged. There is no excuse for breaking the rules (or in this case, the law) and 'because you can' is not one either. You break in, you pay the penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Though it is time Sony start hiring dedicated people to do their server instead of hiring pay-oriented graduates from the nearest tech university.
This might actually be a big advantage. Download times for the PSN were always wonky on my PS3 (particularly system updates were a pain) if the quality of the stores and servers increases, then the downtime will have been a small price to pay for me.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 06:42   Link #14
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
The worst part of the situation is just that they waited almost a week to report the situation. That is absolutely unbelievable.
That is because they didn't know the extent of the hack until a few days ago after the company they brought in to investigate reported the fact that data had been taken (sony has also just reported that all the data that was taken was encrypted).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 07:13   Link #15
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Weather anything actually ever happened or was to happen as a result of someones stolen data is irrelevant now the fact that its happened at all is the real disaster/public relations nightmare for sony and if you look at there stock value you'll see its already had an impact.
I guess this would be an excellent time to invest in some Sony stock .
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 07:16   Link #16
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I was thinking about buying a PSP purely for the FFVII PSN download.

I guess I can hold back for another year until this whole mess is sorted.
Old 2011-04-28, 07:31   Link #17
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Q&A #1 for PlayStation Network and Qriocity Services

Spoiler:

Well I can rest easy anyway as I only have a expired card on my PSN
Old 2011-04-28, 08:10   Link #18
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Q&A #1 for PlayStation Network and Qriocity Services

Well I can rest easy anyway as I only have a expired card on my PSN
Yeah, I'm in that club, too. I'm not too worried.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 09:51   Link #19
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I don't. The 'because I can' mentality is something that should not be encouraged.
Not to play the devil's advocate, but I read that Sony started it by removing the ability to install Linux OS on PS3 or something along these lines. Just saying, haven't really looked into the matter though.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 09:55   Link #20
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I don't really care unless someone starts charging my card, which hasn't happened yet.

And the chances of that happening are slim.

No sense in worrying over it.