AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-10-13, 15:46   Link #1
FlyByNite

Destiny Japan Ratings best in 18 yrs

From Gunota Headlines
According to Video Research Ltd., the debut episode of Gundam SEED DESTINY got an 8.2 rating, making it the 5th (or 6th; the Anime 7 block is actually two shows rated together) most watched anime in Japan on TV. This is a higher rating than any episode of the original SEED got during its run on the air. In fact, it is a higher rating than any first-run episode of Gundam has received at least since ZZ. The rest of the top 10 for the week of October 4th through 10th:
1) Sazae-san - 20.4%
2) Chibi Maruko-chan - 14.4%
3) Detective Conan Aki No Honkaku Mystery Special - 14.3%
4) Anime 7 (One Piece and Kochikame) - 10.8%
5) Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY - 8.2%
6) Konjiki No Gash Bell! - 7.3%
7) Futari Wa Precure - 7.2%
8) NHK Anime Playhouse: Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot & Marple - 6.6%
9) Channel Alpha Dragonball (DB reruns on Fuji TV) - 6.5%
10) Prince Of Tennis Special - 6.1%

that's higher ratings then ANY first-run episode of a Gundam Series including V Gundam, G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam X, Turn A and SEED.

Wow.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 16:10   Link #2
Blaat

About that list is that first episode only or simply the highest in a show?
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 16:15   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
I think that's the rating for the particular episodes of those series aired in the week of 10/4 to 10/10.

Actually this does not surprise me one bit. SEED Destiny must be the most highly anticipated Gundam series of these years. It's the direct sequel of a highly popular series, that means it will have a lot of time to build up its popularity and a huge fan-base even way before its airing.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 16:24   Link #4
angel_wing0
心の番だよ ^o^

Send a message via MSN to angel_wing0
its really not a surprise consider how bad ppl want to see the sequel~
angel_wing0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 16:32   Link #5
FlyByNite

Quote:
Gunota says "In fact, it is a higher rating than any first-run episode of Gundam has received at least since ZZ"

First-run in TV talk usually means ANY episode of a show that's not a repeat.

so I think it's any episode of any gundam series (which would include finales and premieres) in 18 years. Now maybe in Japan they re-ran Zeta or the the first gundam series and they got better ratings in a repeat broadcast.
Old 2004-10-13, 16:58   Link #6
Blaat

Thanks for answering my question

Well I wouldn't be surprised if it got high ratings, SEED and S DESTINY seem more shounen and shounen are usual more of a mass appeal. Especially comparing it with the old Gundams.

However what really bothers me is that top 10 list, on Gunota (infact they even link to the previous article) It says the following thing:
Dragonball Z
Highest rating: 27.5%
Lowest rating: 12.1%
Average rating: 20.5%

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Highest rating: 10.3%
Lowest rating: 0.9% (early morning broadcast at the beginning of the year)
Average rating: 7.1%

Vision Of Escaflowne
Highest rating: 9.2%
Lowest rating: 3.7%
Average rating: 5.2%

That means those three mentioned shows should be on the list but aren't. That is what confuses me.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 17:10   Link #7
FlyByNite

Quote:
Thanks for answering my question

Well I wouldn't be surprised if it got high ratings, SEED and S DESTINY seem more shounen and shounen are usual more of a mass appeal. Especially comparing it with the old Gundams.

However what really bothers me is that top 10 list, on Gunota (infact they even link to the previous article) It says the following thing:
Dragonball Z
Highest rating: 27.5%
Lowest rating: 12.1%
Average rating: 20.5%

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Highest rating: 10.3%
Lowest rating: 0.9% (early morning broadcast at the beginning of the year)
Average rating: 7.1%

Vision Of Escaflowne
Highest rating: 9.2%
Lowest rating: 3.7%
Average rating: 5.2%

That means those three mentioned shows should be on the list but aren't. That is what confuses me.
That link was just showing the highest rating any episode of a previous Gundam show got and then threw in 3 well-known animes (Dragonball, NGE, and Escaflowne)

So when NGE aired in Japan the highest rating it ever got on any episode was a 10.3%.

the top-10 list was the ratings of animes that aired the past week in Japan the other list they link to is historical information. (Man, Dragonball really got high ratings... LOL)
Old 2004-10-13, 21:13   Link #8
brightman
Ancient Member

Well, considering the fact that on that particular day, a typhoon hit Japan and just about everyone was stuck at home, I'm not surprised at all...

Anyway, the fact is Gundam was NEVER in a weekday primetime slot unlike shows like DBZ and Eva. It's almost always either in a weekday slot before primetime (5:00, 5:30, etc), or in the case of SEED, in a weekend slot which generally does not score as high a rating. (and Gundam X had 13 episodes on a 6:00 AM Sat morning slot which is one of the worse possible).

So it's not surprising that Gundam's don't get as high a rating as those other shows. And it doesn't really need it either since the main source of income for Gundam is merchandising.
Old 2004-10-13, 23:17   Link #9
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
the top-10 list was the ratings of animes that aired the past week in Japan the other list they link to is historical information. (Man, Dragonball really got high ratings... LOL)
One more interesting one that I found elsewhere -

Mobile Suit Gundam (Nagoya TV):
Original airing '79: Average of 9.1% of TVs tuned in
Rerun '80: 17.1%
Rerun '81/01: 14%
Rerun '81/07: 15.4%
Rerun '82: 25.7% (with a high of 29.1)

Haven't seen ratings around for Zeta and ZZ anywhere, but those 1982 rerun (this rerun coincided with the release of MSG movie 3) ratings are pretty impressive stuff, and shows why first Gundam has the reputation it does.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 23:22   Link #10
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panon
One more interesting one that I found elsewhere -

Mobile Suit Gundam (Nagoya TV):
Original airing '79: Average of 9.1% of TVs tuned in
Rerun '80: 17.1%
Rerun '81/01: 14%
Rerun '81/07: 15.4%
Rerun '82: 25.7% (with a high of 29.1)

Haven't seen ratings around for Zeta and ZZ anywhere, but those 1982 rerun (this rerun coincided with the release of MSG movie 3) ratings are pretty impressive stuff, and shows why first Gundam has the reputation it does.
Note that the network there is Nagoya TV, which is NOT a Kanto/Tokyo-area station (though it was the original sponsoring network for MSG), which are where most TV ratings are based on. This includes the one for Seed Destiny which lists its ratings on TBS. According to Gunota, the average rating for the first run of MSG on TV Asahi (a Tokyo network) was 4.58%.

And Zeta scored a 6.39% and ZZ got 6.02% on TV Asahi. SEED's average rating on TBS was 6.1%.

Last edited by brightman; 2004-10-13 at 23:49.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 03:14   Link #11
wao
OK.

What I'm wondering is why Poirot & Marple is so high. Did it get a lot of hype or something or is it just on a very good network at a very good time and is interesting enough? Hmm.

And DBZ really is scarily popular.

That's not the point though. Anyway, I did hear that the original MSG was like Star Trek because it got popular through reruns...

My first reaction when I saw the list given was "duh", but then I realised, isn't Gundam supposed to be a generally otaku series, even though it's achieved cult-like status? And surely such a high number cannot be achieved purely by otakus (but then, what do I know)...
Old 2004-10-14, 07:50   Link #12
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
What I'm wondering is why Poirot & Marple is so high. Did it get a lot of hype or something or is it just on a very good network at a very good time and is interesting enough? Hmm.
Well, generally a 6% rating wouldn't even be on the list, but they're on because a few high-rating shows weren't aired last week, notably Doraemon... And I guess Naruto would fall into this category as well.

Quote:
That's not the point though. Anyway, I did hear that the original MSG was like Star Trek because it got popular through reruns...
Yeah, that's definitely true, as you can see from Panon's numbers (I supposed the national trend would be similar to it. Though the Kanto-area ratings would be a less because I'm guessing that back then it had more TV stations than the Nagoya-region? No idea)

Quote:
My first reaction when I saw the list given was "duh", but then I realised, isn't Gundam supposed to be a generally otaku series, even though it's achieved cult-like status? And surely such a high number cannot be achieved purely by otakus (but then, what do I know)...
You'd be surprised by the power and influence of otakus in Japan...
Old 2004-10-14, 11:53   Link #13
Crimsonmon

Send a message via AIM to Crimsonmon Send a message via MSN to Crimsonmon
At least it's good to see PreCure is still in the top ten.
Crimsonmon is offline   Reply With Quote