AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-08, 04:28   Link #61
Rebochan
Clubbing

Uhhh, can we get back to the topic at hand, which was the quality of Tokyopop manga, instead of making it into a Love Hina flame fest that will send the whole thread down the toilet?

You are free to like whatever you want, and hate whatever you want. Let's leave it at that, okay?
Old 2003-12-08, 04:29   Link #62
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

... I'm only 21, dude, I have no interest in marriage or kids... the bastard child thing was just to get my point across. Kinda like when I tell my friends 'slap her like a redheaded step child'... I don't actually want him to slap redheaded stepchildren, just the chick we're talking about. And I called you a 'fanboi'. Please paraphrase me correctly in the future.

What I meant (and I'm pretty sure I got the point across the first time, but I'll spell it out in big letters this time, just so you can't ignore it) is that looking at numbers, anyone can say that anything is either repetitive or not repetitive. You can just take the number of total scenes and then compare the number of scenes in question and say 'Yeah, there are lots' or 'What... it's only 40% of the manga, that's not even half'. But the true measure of repetition is how you feel about it after you've finished it, and it's easier to get a feel for a story when you read it through from start to finish. It's my opinion, I'm intitled to it. Do you understand? Or do I have to brand it on your forehead?

And I used the fighting genre as an example, there are others, but none of them are love stories. You see, mangas based entirely on interactions between a never-changing cast of characters canNOT be repetitive. The saving grace of fighting mangas is that the characters change often, providing for new interactions, and moving the repetitive actions and ideals into the background. Love stories have tried to do this, but you can only add so many love interests before even the most dim-witted of readers figures out what you're trying to do.

And one last thing. I never insulted the artist. I insulted the work. Actually, you could call it 'criticism' that he'll never read. If I wanted to insult Akamatsu Ken, I'd bring up his CCS doujins, but I don't believe I did that in this thread... although I suppose I could be confused.
Old 2003-12-08, 05:02   Link #63
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
If you want a love story for guys, read I"s or Video Girl Ai, or if you're up to it.
Would this be a good time to mention that I thought both I"s and Video Girl Ai really really sucked?
Old 2003-12-08, 05:18   Link #64
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

You're intitled to your own opinion~ I enjoyed I"s a lot until around volume 7 or so... then the confession caught my attention and I started liking it again. I didn't really like the ending, tho... seemed too corny.

But really, I'm more a fan of serious stories like SaiKano and the like when it comes to love stories. I'll always pick Takahashi Shin over... the guy that did I"s... Matsuru? Something like that.

And I should have added in anything by Adachi, as well. Touch and H2 are two of my favorite mangas (love story or otherwise). But really, we should get back onto the topic of TokyoPop and move this discussion into one of the many love hina threads... or hell, Zoro could simply read one of the other love hina threads and see it in its entirety. It's kinda like looking into the future.
Old 2003-12-08, 13:19   Link #65
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

if u didnt notice:

i said u could have ur opinion, i just said dont think ur opinion is the only thing that matters. i dont give a shit wat u like and what u dont like, but when u call the readers dimwits, and its fans shallow moronic fool, ure only making urself look like an asshole. Did u read my posts carefully and THOUGHT about it, or did u read it and went to ur Nazi mode? You remind me of Hitler or the Southern white folks during the civil war.

40% is an exaggeration. The repeating things u have mentioned doesnt even make a total of 50 frames. Considering each pg has about an average of 5 frames per pg, and each volume has an average of 200 pgs. 14 volumes... YOU do the math.

So ure saying that the repetitiveness of Love Hina is soley based on how YOU feel???
The way YOU feel has nothing to do with wat others feel about it, so stop pretending like it.

The more repetitiveness is part of the story and it rolls rather nicely. SHould i say it again? 1000s of ppl thought so too.

and the fact that u perfer serious love stories is also a reason you dont like Love Hina, stop trying to go around the fact tat its just ur taste. THats the only reason u dont like it, cuz its not ur type, so just stop trying to JUSTIFY the fact tat u disrespected the writers, readers, and the fans.
i personally dont like love stories, Love Hina is a comedy based story more than Love story. Its catergorized as comedy, it says that in the back of every love hina books. Its just not ur type, say it tat way... dont go and insult ppl who read it.

I read the Love Hina section, it doesnt have anyone who doesnt like love hina in there. I POSTED in it, so ovbiously u havent been there for awhile have you?

Quote:
Hm.. Love Hina to me.. is like one of the many soaps on tv. x)
see... just like that. Simple its just his opinion of the manga and not an insult of the ppl who likes it. You should learn some respect, if u went to high school u shouldve learned it. Im assuming you did, seeing that u have time to go online and not work at Vons.

Back to Tokyopop now:

has anyone read FLCL? is it just as crazy, funny, and unintelligent as the anime? in other words is it just as good? (lol)
i read the 1st volume of samurai deeper kyo, looks corny, does it get better?
same with real bout high school.
Old 2003-12-08, 14:24   Link #66
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
Back to Tokyopop now:

has anyone read FLCL? is it just as crazy, funny, and unintelligent as the anime? in other words is it just as good? (lol)
Euuuuh, I hate the anime and the manga is actually worse, believe it or not. I only read like half of chapter 1, but the art is nearly incomprehensible for someone who hasn't watched the anime, and the story feels rushed. SDK, well Snoopy assures us that it gets better, but from those 6 scanslated volumes I read, I'd have to say it gets much worse before it gets better (if it does at all).
Old 2003-12-08, 15:49   Link #67
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

SDK being Samurai Deeper Kyo, right? I'm a fan of bloody shonen fighting series, and I don't try to hide it. I like to just sit back, turn my mind off, and watch some all-powerful guy blow the gray matter out of a loser's ears. That's why I love Houshin Engi so much. 'Cause there's lots of death

But SDK actually gets slightly compelling, if you ask me. It's not for everyone, of course, but the fact that good and evil are kinda grayed and mixed together to a point where you can't really make them out anymore makes for an interesting story. Especially when you compare it to other shonen series, where the value is based on the variety of explosions the mangaka can draw.

To Zoro:
1) I am an asshole. At least when I'm in front of a computer, I am. Plus I don't consider AnimeSuki a place where I need to put up a front of kindness and caring (not that I don't respect AS or anything, love 'ya guys *huggle*). If you were to talk to me on the street about Love Hina, I'd probably smile and nod until you were through, but not here. (Really, I recall saying this at least once before here... it seems people always assume that I'm failing in attempts at being nice, but that's not quite the case :fingers: )

2) The average shonen manga volume has 186 pages (seinen mangas tend to be around the 220+ mark, tho), not counting the last page of publisher info (I don't know if that's in TP releases... but I'll just assume it is). And I only know that because I've scanned in more manga than you've read.

3) Yes, to me, my opinion is the word of God. And anyone who disagrees with me, while they are entitled to that right, are wrong. You, sir, are wrong.

4) 1000's of people thought Hitler was the greatest thing since sliced bread. He even made Time's Man of the Year.

5) The reason I mentioned that I liked serious love stories was to give yet another reason why I didn't like Love Hina. I don't know why you bothered to reiterate.

6) Perhaps it was in one of the Negima threads, then. They're all the same to me. Any thread talking about anything related to Akamatsu turns into a Love Hina discussion eventually.

And yes, unless TP did something weird to the FLCL manga, it's just as freaky as the anime. So if you like one, you'll most likely like the other.
Old 2003-12-08, 16:58   Link #68
LynnieS

This thread started out as one in which one wants to know who here reads TokyoPop's manga titles. It then became a suggestions type question, but also for TokyoPop titles, and now it's something of a flame thread?
Old 2003-12-08, 18:00   Link #69
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

No no. We're still talking about tokyo pop, we're just having a little argument on the side. *Points to top and bottom of his most recent post*
Old 2003-12-08, 19:20   Link #70
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
my opinion of tokyopop is they're not as good as say.... darkhorse, but they are getting better. as some of the newest tokyopop projects have decent, if not good editing, and the translations (while i don't know japanese) seem to make good contextual sense.

as for FLCL, since i'm an avid fan of the anime, i had to get the manga, if for nothing but to say i owned it. and.... it's wierd, very non-sensical humor, sometimes not even meant to be humor..... i think. .... in other words... i love it.
Old 2003-12-08, 19:46   Link #71
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

There's no way most of the humor in the FLCL manga can be translated into english without extensive translation notes. And I mean extensive, as in like 5 or 6 big ones per chapter. Thus I can only come up with the scenerio that has TP replacing the japanese humor with random nonsense.
Old 2003-12-08, 21:10   Link #72
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
SDK being Samurai Deeper Kyo, right? I'm a fan of bloody shonen fighting series, and I don't try to hide it. I like to just sit back, turn my mind off, and watch some all-powerful guy blow the gray matter out of a loser's ears. That's why I love Houshin Engi so much. 'Cause there's lots of death

But SDK actually gets slightly compelling, if you ask me. It's not for everyone, of course, but the fact that good and evil are kinda grayed and mixed together to a point where you can't really make them out anymore makes for an interesting story. Especially when you compare it to other shonen series, where the value is based on the variety of explosions the mangaka can draw.

To Zoro:
1) I am an asshole. At least when I'm in front of a computer, I am. Plus I don't consider AnimeSuki a place where I need to put up a front of kindness and caring (not that I don't respect AS or anything, love 'ya guys *huggle*). If you were to talk to me on the street about Love Hina, I'd probably smile and nod until you were through, but not here. (Really, I recall saying this at least once before here... it seems people always assume that I'm failing in attempts at being nice, but that's not quite the case :fingers: )

2) The average shonen manga volume has 186 pages (seinen mangas tend to be around the 220+ mark, tho), not counting the last page of publisher info (I don't know if that's in TP releases... but I'll just assume it is). And I only know that because I've scanned in more manga than you've read.

3) Yes, to me, my opinion is the word of God. And anyone who disagrees with me, while they are entitled to that right, are wrong. You, sir, are wrong.

4) 1000's of people thought Hitler was the greatest thing since sliced bread. He even made Time's Man of the Year.

5) The reason I mentioned that I liked serious love stories was to give yet another reason why I didn't like Love Hina. I don't know why you bothered to reiterate.

6) Perhaps it was in one of the Negima threads, then. They're all the same to me. Any thread talking about anything related to Akamatsu turns into a Love Hina discussion eventually.

And yes, unless TP did something weird to the FLCL manga, it's just as freaky as the anime. So if you like one, you'll most likely like the other.
1. at least we agree on something... considering u only talk shit online must mean ure not the type that would defend urself so well when a big guy decides to attack u all of a sudden. So in real life u cant do it, so here online u feel secure and decided to be an asshole.

2. i dont care, b4 i bought it it said 200 pgs for most of the mangs of love hina. Youve scanned more manga than ive read?? ARE YOU KIDDING!? I was born and semi-raised in korea, the 2nd most biggest center of anime and manga. I probably read an entire series b4 u saw the cover of it. Korean liscenced can come out the same day as japanese versions. Its a high chance while ure scanning it i was in a manga store in korea reading the next volume. and ive been reading manga since u were perhaps 5. So dont talk about me as if u know me.

3. being christian, wat u say is an offense to my religion. i have to say ure stupid. Your opinion is only high to urself, respect others. i never said u have to be nice, i just said u need to respect

4. unlike hitler, 1000s of ppl that liked love hina was not under propaganda. Nor did the fans of love hina have all their money reduced to shit. We also never got screwed over by a stupid treaty in versailles.... i can go on why the nazi ppl decided hitler was so great. Hitler did have charisma ill give you that.

5. THATS EXACTLY WAT I SAID! You dont like it... do u read my posts then think? or do u think of a response before u read?

6. because the word believes Love Hina is Akamatsu's best work.

Is FLCL worth the buy tho? I mean i really liked the anime, i really dont have a reason why. It was one of those animes that u just like without a reason.

no one here read Real Bout Highschool??
Old 2003-12-09, 01:46   Link #73
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
can't say about real bout hischool or whatever, i glanced through it quick once and didn't really like it, but that's personal opinion, from what little i saw it seemed like a non-ecchi ikkitousen or something.... (i read like .... oh.... 2 chapters)

as for FLCL being worth the buy, the art is very different, the story is also different, i liked it, but it took a while to figure out what was happening, best way to figure that out for yourself would be to flip through it and see if it's worth it to you.

and... since love hina seems to be discussed, my opinion is i don't like it..... i just don't like that kinda story is my case and defense.
so there.
Old 2003-12-09, 02:23   Link #74
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrihr
can't say about real bout hischool or whatever, i glanced through it quick once and didn't really like it, but that's personal opinion, from what little i saw it seemed like a non-ecchi ikkitousen or something.... (i read like .... oh.... 2 chapters)

as for FLCL being worth the buy, the art is very different, the story is also different, i liked it, but it took a while to figure out what was happening, best way to figure that out for yourself would be to flip through it and see if it's worth it to you.

and... since love hina seems to be discussed, my opinion is i don't like it..... i just don't like that kinda story is my case and defense.
so there.
yea real bout highschool is even rated for ppl 13 and up, so no ecchi.

FLCL story is different? Like completely out there different or like love hina and one piece manga/anime differences?

you dont need to defend ur opinion on anything. Gee, u just have to say whether u like it or not. Snoopy just went out there saying horse shit along with his opinion, tats why i got pissed off, nothing more nothing less.
Old 2003-12-09, 02:43   Link #75
Alcy
Left! Right! Seven! Cake!

Heheh..as far as Love Hina, I've read the first three manga volumes and saw Spring Movie. I think it's cute and amusing, granted not the deepest plot, but fun regardless. Perhaps I'm one of the few series fans that doesn't even like girls? I think it's funny to see Keitaro get pushed around. I'm sick like that, I know. XD
Old 2003-12-09, 02:54   Link #76
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcy
Heheh..as far as Love Hina, I've read the first three manga volumes and saw Spring Movie. I think it's cute and amusing, granted not the deepest plot, but fun regardless. Perhaps I'm one of the few series fans that doesn't even like girls? I think it's funny to see Keitaro get pushed around. I'm sick like that, I know. XD
hes the luckiest guy in the world.... i want to see him punched around too. Hes too lucky...

ANYWAY back to TP.

wat are upcomming titles for 2004? anyone know yet? or do they usually announce that at anime expo? (wait tats in july....nvm)
Old 2003-12-09, 04:51   Link #77
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

K, I just have 1 paragraph this time, I'll condense. Yes, I'm small, and would probably run from someone capable of beating the shit out of me. I hope you would too. I'm sorry, from your posts, I assumed you were a 14 year old new jersey boy who assumed 'manga' was the printed version of anime until 3 months ago. I'm christian, too. God's a loser. For the 5th, I was curious why you bothered quoting the concession I made as a point to yourself... I think you misunderstood me. The world is stupid, for LH is his second best work, behind Ai ga Tomaranei. But that's not saying either ranks in the realm of wonderful manga.

If you want something similar to Love Hina, go for Phsycic Academy. We translated the whole of it before it was licensed, and TP should be releasing the beginning really soon.

And I also think they were the ones that licensed Get Backers, weren't they?
Old 2003-12-09, 06:17   Link #78
AnimeFangirl

Yes, it was them. Get Backers is a good manga, and the characterization is subtly different from and better than that in the anime. Just reading the two scanslated vols rendered me incapable of watching the anime. I think I'll buy it when it comes out, Ban is such a sexy idiot.
Tokyopop also licensed Fruits Basket manga, I'll have to see how good a job they do on it. Oh, and how could I forget Peach Girl!! Tokyopop used a horrible font for it, but PG is still really good. Yay for more peachy goodness!!
Old 2003-12-09, 09:13   Link #79
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Send a message via AIM to Maveric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
wat are upcomming titles for 2004? anyone know yet? or do they usually announce that at anime expo? (wait tats in july....nvm)
Well, I know of 2 that I'm going to get that are being released in January: AI Love You, and Ai Yori Aoshi (yes, I am a sucker for the romance genre). Other titles being released off the top of my head are Ikkitosen (under an english name. Battle Vixens I believe), Candidate for Goddess, and Power!!! (released as Girl Got Game).
Old 2003-12-09, 09:59   Link #80
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

I propose a world-wide boycott on 'Battle Vixens'. Someone needs to slap TokyoPop for such a blatant insult to the manga community. I need a barfing emoticon...
Closed Thread