AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-21, 17:07   Link #2021
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Choosing between Shana and Taiga =

Love Saber to death, but moe is moe (or so they say)

ARENA 01: [Aisaka Taiga] Gokō Ruri (Kuroneko) Saber Yui Shana Eucliwood Hellscythe Nagato Yuki
ARENA 02: Tōsaka Rin [Victorique de Blois] Shiina Minatsu Hisui Ichinose Kotomi Tsugumi Kōsaka Kirino
ARENA 03: Akiyama Mio Tsukamoto Yakumo Flower [Matō Sakura] Hanabishi Miki Saten Ruiko Suzumiya Haruhi
ARENA 04: Kohaku Teletha Testarossa Takahara Ayumi Tainaka Ritsu Tsukamoto Tenma Karakuri Chachamaru [Uiharu Kazari]
ARENA 05: Shimada Minami Shiomiya Shiori Fear Kubrick Suzutsuki Kanade Sanzen'in Nagi [Holo] Ikaros
ARENA 06: [Dalian] Yin
ARENA 07: Morishima Haruka [Hanato Kobato]
ARENA 08: Hakamada Hinata [Tsukimiya Ayu]
ARENA 09: Ariel, Chris [Chitanda Eru, Ibara Mayaka]
Old 2012-06-21, 17:55   Link #2022
Team Rocket Elite

Spoiler for Votes:
Old 2012-06-21, 18:58   Link #2023
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
ARENA 01: Aisaka Taiga [Gokō Ruri (Kuroneko)] Saber Yui Shana Eucliwood Hellscythe Nagato Yuki
ARENA 02: Tōsaka Rin Victorique de Blois [Shiina Minatsu] Hisui Ichinose Kotomi Tsugumi Kōsaka Kirino
ARENA 03: Akiyama Mio Tsukamoto Yakumo Flower Matō Sakura Hanabishi Miki [Saten Ruiko] Suzumiya Haruhi
ARENA 04: Kohaku [Teletha Testarossa] Takahara Ayumi Tainaka Ritsu Tsukamoto Tenma Karakuri Chachamaru Uiharu Kazari
ARENA 05: Shimada Minami Shiomiya Shiori Fear Kubrick Suzutsuki Kanade Sanzen'in Nagi [Holo] Ikaros
ARENA 07: [Morishima Haruka] Hanato Kobato

A tough call for the main match, but will give Kuroneko the nod in this case.

Also wishing the best to Chitanda's team in their exhibition match .
Old 2012-06-21, 19:14   Link #2024
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Remember that we created Nova for the ones who mostly care about Nova characters. We knew that there would be characters like Kanade that will outright dominate Nova, but what are were predicting, is exactly what is happening - the middle characters of Nova becoming very competitive.

And it's very nice to see Taiga/Yuki making somewhat of an impact on the Stella side, although I'm not sure if the Yuki "surge" is more than for her winning the Amethyst Necklace.
There is a sense though that the Nova girls who participated in ISML last year have an advantage over the newer girls. If only because they pick up some check every box votes from people who saw them in ISML last year.

I really hope that next year we move to a "Nova = never been in ISML before, Stella = girls who have been in ISML before" format.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-06-21, 19:29   Link #2025
Sphire

I didn't know who to vote for, but Kuroneko has the best chance of girls I like (or can stand), so went for her.

ARENA 01: Aisaka Taiga [Gokō Ruri (Kuroneko)] Saber Yui Shana Eucliwood Hellscythe Nagato Yuki
ARENA 02: Tōsaka Rin Victorique de Blois [Shiina Minatsu] Hisui Ichinose Kotomi Tsugumi Kōsaka Kirino
ARENA 03: Akiyama Mio [Tsukamoto Yakumo] Flower Matō Sakura Hanabishi Miki Saten Ruiko Suzumiya Haruhi
ARENA 04: Kohaku Teletha Testarossa Takahara Ayumi Tainaka Ritsu [Tsukamoto Tenma] Karakuri Chachamaru Uiharu Kazari

And voted Holo, for Rajura..and me. Holo be awesome, plus she shares the same VA as Tenma, and I'd so be happy for a S3.
Old 2012-06-21, 19:44   Link #2026
Eater of All
NOM

Spoiler for Votes:

Yuki has a disadvantage here, but I'm hoping for her to prevail anyway.
Old 2012-06-21, 20:01   Link #2027
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Isml 2012 Amethyst Period — Round 8

ARENA 02: Tōsaka Rin Victorique de Blois Shiina Minatsu Hisui Ichinose Kotomi Tsugumi [Kōsaka Kirino]
ARENA 03: Akiyama Mio Tsukamoto Yakumo Flower Matō Sakura Hanabishi Miki [Saten Ruiko] Suzumiya Haruhi
ARENA 04: Kohaku Teletha Testarossa Takahara Ayumi Tainaka Ritsu Tsukamoto Tenma Karakuri Chachamaru [Uiharu Kazari]
ARENA 05: Shimada Minami Shiomiya Shiori Fear Kubrick [Suzutsuki Kanade] Sanzen'in Nagi Holo Ikaros
ARENA 09: [Ariel, Chris] Chitanda Eru, Ibara Mayaka
Old 2012-06-21, 20:39   Link #2028
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I really hope that next year we move to a "Nova = never been in ISML before, Stella = girls who have been in ISML before" format.
I think this a better method too, because it does seem to have effect on quite a few of them.
MAL
Old 2012-06-21, 20:40   Link #2029
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
My only gripe would be whether we even have enough people that are competitive if that's the case. There are only so many top guns that comes out every year. On the other hand, yes, the muddle in the middle would be even greater, making ISML a lot less predictable, so such format is not necessarily bad.

And it's a little bit too early to tell from the record. Both Yurippe and Yui-nyan really have 1 win against new girls (good one) anyway (Yuri against Kobato and Yui-nyan against Niku). There's also Charlotte, who beat Aria by only 100. Kobato is 10-4 but look at who she lose to...Kanade (No chance), Niku (Intra-series battle and a 100 vote loss), Yurippe (The only "New can not beat old" match), and Kuroneko (Same CV, both are Chuu-ni Goth-loli, Kuroneko being feature a LOT more than Kobato). Then Kobato turns around and beat Kirino (12-2, lose against, well, the chuu-ni pair...).

In another word, there's Kanade (Way ahead of the pack), Eu (Ongoing series + a surprisingly large fan base...I mean, just look at her performance at last year's JAST ). Then it's Kuroneko, who's way up there last year, so a strong performance is expected. Then there's the AB duo (Yuri + Yui) that has already beat the Haganai duo and is likely to beat the other two "stronger" newcomers (Erio & Aria) as well. That's make 5 girls, with only the AB duo getting more wins than they deserved.

Where I'm going? You can't really blame the format right now. Top newcomers still has a much better chance to go anywhere while the middle is a mess. It's somewhat of an illusion that "old girls" dominated when you have last year's (Counting regular season) #1 (Kanade), #6 (Kuroneko), #11 but has an ongoing series (Eu), and two girls that get vote mainly b/c of the series they're from (Yuri & Yui, but they're also #12 & #13 last year and by all mean, not weakling) that seemingly bias the result towards older girls. But do anyone think the newcomers other than the 3 strong one (Kobato, Niku, Aria) and maybe 2 more (Erio & Inori) to really go anywhere? None of them stands out to me...

Anyway...

(I've 3 choices, Waifu #2 in Kuroneko, Waifu #4 in Taiga, or go for 3-peat and vote for Yuki. At the end, Fallen Angel > Goddess)
ARENA 02: Tōsaka Rin [Victorique de Blois] Shiina Minatsu Hisui Ichinose Kotomi Tsugumi Kōsaka Kirino
(Victorique = moe. It's basically Victorique >> Kirino > Kotomi > Minatsu >>>>> The rest here...)
ARENA 03: [Akiyama Mio] Tsukamoto Yakumo Flower Matō Sakura Hanabishi Miki Saten Ruiko Suzumiya Haruhi
(This is even more lopside, it's Mio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "the pack" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Haruhi)
ARENA 04: Kohaku Teletha Testarossa [Takahara Ayumi] Tainaka Ritsu Tsukamoto Tenma Karakuri Chachamaru Uiharu Kazari
(Not exactly easy to choose from a bunch of weaklings...)
(This is for Rajura)
(She's just better...)
(HanaKana power)
ARENA 08: [Hakamada Hinata] Tsukimiya Ayu
(Hinata doesn't get enough love...but then, RKB is just not that good of an anime...)
(Will vote for Eru-chan every time. Although I have to admit that the zombie girls are REALLY moe and it takes a waifu-to-be for me to not vote for them)

Last edited by ion475; 2012-06-21 at 22:18.
Old 2012-06-21, 20:56   Link #2030
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

ARENA 01: Aisaka Taiga Gokō Ruri (Kuroneko) Saber Yui Shana [Eucliwood Hellscythe] Nagato Yuki
ARENA 03: Akiyama Mio Tsukamoto Yakumo Flower Matō Sakura Hanabishi Miki Saten Ruiko [Suzumiya Haruhi]
ARENA 05: Shimada Minami Shiomiya Shiori Fear Kubrick Suzutsuki Kanade Sanzen'in Nagi Holo [Ikaros]
ARENA 08: [Hakamada Hinata] Tsukimiya Ayu
ARENA 09: [Ariel, Chris] Chitanda Eru, Ibara Mayaka
Old 2012-06-21, 20:58   Link #2031
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
(This is for Rajura)
You really don't know how much that means to me!
Old 2012-06-21, 21:32   Link #2032
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I think this a better method too, because it does seem to have effect on quite a few of them.
I'm with you and Sackett on this. I think the current format limits new girls a bit too much.
Old 2012-06-21, 22:21   Link #2033
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

ARENA 01: Aisaka Taiga Gokō Ruri (Kuroneko) Saber Yui Shana [Eucliwood Hellscythe] Nagato Yuki
ARENA 03: [Akiyama Mio] Tsukamoto Yakumo Flower Matō Sakura Hanabishi Miki Saten Ruiko Suzumiya Haruhi
ARENA 04: Kohaku Teletha Testarossa Takahara Ayumi [Tainaka Ritsu] Tsukamoto Tenma Karakuri Chachamaru Uiharu Kazari
ARENA 06: Dalian [Abstained] Yin
ARENA 07: Morishima Haruka [Abstained] Hanato Kobato
Old 2012-06-21, 22:49   Link #2034
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm with you and Sackett on this. I think the current format limits new girls a bit too much.
It also goes the other way too for a couple of the Stella girls.

Shinobu for example would be over in the Nova field wouldn't she? A place I think she fits in better. I suspect she might be under performing when she's always up against old standard ISML characters.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-06-21, 22:51   Link #2035
broken270
Defying gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I wanted to state something off tangent, but I guess I can use this as a better time than any. Assume that this format carries out for at least one more year. On the Stella side, it would be a near carbon copy of ISML 2011 minus the bottom 14 with some minor changes. Girls like Kanade, Ruri, Eucliwood, and Charlotte would be on the Stella side by rule of how the Stella/Nova system works. This leaves next year's Nova side to be "clean," as in no one pre-2011 would be there. This would mean that girls like Kobato, Sena, even Aria and Kurisu can be Tier 1 material with pre-2011 players away. Looking at it next year, Nova would be only filled with "new girls" that some have suggested and would probably be what many people of this year would have thoguht about. I guess the summary here is, come next year, if the same frmat is used, one will have the "new girls" all by themselves if that is what one wished.

This leads me to the main topic of this statement: what Sackett stated. In truth, I wanted to see this as well, but, now that I think about it, I am wondering if this is a good idea. Consider if next year, what Sackett, Konakaga, you, and other members who thought about this last year as well was put into stage. Someone, (probably wontaek) told us last year when people voiced this idea was that there weren't enough contestants to consider this method, but what about now? With 25 new contestants, we now have 133 girls who have been here at least once. That should be enough girls to go through nomination and preliminary. Stella would include everyone from this year's Nova. but there is a really good chance that this year's "new girls" would have an even less of a good time trying to prove themselves as worthy. Middle Tier Nova have a good chance of not appearing again. Girls like Erio, Inori, Aria, and Kurisu are going to be most likely found in Tier 6, Teri 5 if lucky and Tier 7 as worst scenario. The "new girls" are going to have less opportunities of showing their worth in the suggested format than keeping the current format for another year.

Looking at it from the Nova side, indeed there will be a large diversity of characters that most would like or have wished to have been in ISML X years ago. However, there seems to be a good chance that the recently aired shows has a higher advantage of showing their strength than those even from this year that did not make it to ISML, be it by a close loss or not. While one may think that is the entire point, I fear that would not be a "middle ground" as the top would mostly consist of recent series while the bottom are shows that are even one year's old. I feel that the format would make Nova a rather unequal arena in terms of power levels between the recent series and everyone else. While this might be what some people would like to see, I fear that this "invisible line" of power strength will be even more prominently seen given even by the next year of the same format.

Long story short, I think next year's Nova Division is probably what the majority originally wanted, so I believe we should stick to the current format for at least one more year and then decide whether or not another idea would presume better. You guys can probably refute that there are more pros to the suggested format than I originally saw. While I too would like to see what Sackett stated come true, I just see more cons to it than pros. Maybe I should look at last year's thread to see what people had to say about this.
Old 2012-06-21, 23:46   Link #2036
ion475
にこにこにー

As far as creating a "Nova" with only girls that haven't been here before - I don't see how it would generate more excitement. More unpredictable, yes, but exciting? This year's Nova already features 3 Haganai girls, 3 BakaTest girls (None of them doing good), 4 Kaminomi girls (None of them doing good either). Then, you start limiting Nova to "Really new to ISML only", you'll only get people voting in those 3rd/4th best girls from a poplar series just to feel up space. You then have a few really good girls start demolishing everyone else.

I mean, JAST gets away with those 5th best/6th best girls since they're quickly eliminated in 1st round. But here? You're stuck with them for (assuming # of match being still the same) for 35 rounds, with more than half of them being matchup that, while impossible to predict, is not exciting to most people.
Old 2012-06-22, 00:56   Link #2037
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
As far as creating a "Nova" with only girls that haven't been here before - I don't see how it would generate more excitement. More unpredictable, yes, but exciting? This year's Nova already features 3 Haganai girls, 3 BakaTest girls (None of them doing good), 4 Kaminomi girls (None of them doing good either). Then, you start limiting Nova to "Really new to ISML only", you'll only get people voting in those 3rd/4th best girls from a poplar series just to feel up space. You then have a few really good girls start demolishing everyone else.
It'd be more interesting than seeing the same girls from last year cause they've had more exposure, I mean Iwasawa even who was 7-42 last year, is already at 5 wins showing just how much the bias is because she had exposure from last year imo. Not to mention the top 8 is almost exclusive ones from the previous year besides Sena.
MAL
Old 2012-06-22, 01:49   Link #2038
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

ARENA 01: [Aisaka Taiga] Gokō Ruri (Kuroneko) Saber Yui Shana Eucliwood Hellscythe Nagato Yuki
ARENA 03: Akiyama Mio [Tsukamoto Yakumo] Flower Matō Sakura Hanabishi Miki Saten Ruiko Suzumiya Haruhi
ARENA 04: Kohaku [Teletha Testarossa] Takahara Ayumi Tainaka Ritsu Tsukamoto Tenma Karakuri Chachamaru Uiharu Kazari

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2012-06-22, 02:56   Link #2039
HasuMasu
*Artist

ARENA 02: Tōsaka Rin Victorique de Blois Shiina Minatsu Hisui [Ichinose Kotomi] Tsugumi Kōsaka Kirino
ARENA 05: Shimada Minami Shiomiya Shiori Fear Kubrick [Suzutsuki Kanade] Sanzen'in Nagi Holo Ikaros
Old 2012-06-22, 02:57   Link #2040
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

However there would be a nice cycle since Nova at present is only the previous two years. Thus it gives those that didn't do with against some of the larger contenders from the previous year one more chance before going up against the Stella groups (and likely being crushed to the point they don't even get to participate).

Only the best from this Nova will move on to Stella...so it might be best to see everyone in action for more than one year to be sure they are worthy, and also so that once those move on, those that were just shy of that might get one more chance to shine.

Angel Beats this year has a massive advantage over everyone else in Nova, but they will pass to Stella next year (those that survive the change). With the top (Kanade is dominatingly top) gone, the remainder will have a chance to prove themselves better against this year's wave (plus this year's wave can prove their power better if they have some "benchmark" girls to compare with). If the entire Nova is only newbies each year, there will be years were we get basically chaff for half or more than half the entries. Those sorts of duels are fairly uninteresting and voters will ignore them if they are able to do so (and focus on Stella matches).

ISML is suppose to be the best of the best. Nova is there to be sure the newbies can cut it to play with the likes of Shana and Makoto. One year only might not be enough (especially this year with some of last year's seasoned vets in the mix). But two years will be enough to see who is worthy and who will be lost in the void.

(The 2011 vets have an advantage not just because people recongnize them, but also they did have to face the likes of Shana, Yuki, Haruhi, and Makoto. The Nova group next year will only have been crushed by Kanade and some of those other 2011 vets. Unless they are really good and get necklace spots against the Stella group, we won't know what they are made up until 2013).

Tags
isml, saimoe, tournament