Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-24, 02:33   Link #181
~Quasar~
SupeRookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Y'know, I may not like it, but even I know there's more to the yuri genre than just smut.
You won't but I will.

Quote:
Ever heard about character development and drama? They're fascinating story-telling devices, especially for romance.
Nope, is that edible?

Okay, jokes aside. Girl Friends which is a Yuri manga contains both drama and character development. So I don't get what you're trying to prove or point out.
Old 2010-10-24, 02:40   Link #182
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Trying to make you understand that smut/sex isn't all that makes a romance series whether it be yaoi, yuri or hetero.

If you understand that, then I apologize and have nothing else to say.
Old 2010-10-24, 02:44   Link #183
~Quasar~
SupeRookie

Quote:
Trying to make you understand that smut/sex isn't all that makes a romance series whether it be yaoi, yuri or hetero.

If you understand that then I have nothing else that needs to be said.
I know that. So that facepalm is because you implied that I wanted more yuri just for sex and smut? My, my, prejudices is a bad thing you know.
Old 2010-10-24, 02:54   Link #184
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

^No, I face-palmed because your statement was implying that's the reason why EVERYONE (not just you) read or watch yuri.

Whatever YOU want is absolutely fine because YOU can speak for YOURSELF, what you CAN'T do is speak for everyone else.
Old 2010-10-24, 03:05   Link #185
~Quasar~
SupeRookie

Quote:
^No, I face-palmed because your statement was implying that's the reason why EVERYONE (not just you) read or watch yuri.

Whatever YOU want is absolutely fine because YOU can speak for YOURSELF, what you CAN'T do is speak for everyone else.
You're not a humorous type of person are you? Oh well, too bad.

Also, I apologize, that I, a nobody, tried to speak for everyone else's behalf. *shrugs*
Old 2010-10-24, 03:14   Link #186
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Actually I love funny stuff, but I feel this isn't a topic where the subject should be joked about, it's a topic meant for serious discussion on the matter.

I apologize for mistaking your joke for a serious statement. It's not the first time this has happened to me. =/

Since we're going off topic I'll end this conversation here.
Old 2010-10-24, 04:11   Link #187
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'm both female and gay.

Obviously I like yuri and don't care for yaoi. However, most "yuri" annoys me, because it doesn't actually have yuri in it. Often, it just has snooty ojousama types backbiting and double crossing each other...

If it's romance, I want it to be yuri. And if it's yuri, I want it to actually have yuri in it. And by that I mean sex. Which does not necessarily mean smut, either...
I am not really caring if the romance is yuri, yaoi or hetero. What I want to see is actual tension, struggle with rivals in love or against the bad shit life eventually throws at the lovers. Which is why I don't like the "romantic" aspect of the Nanoha franchise (*) that is no better than grade school kiss hug type that a 10/12 y/o come up with. My favorite romantic stories are Kimagure Orange Road that have done so well in the romance/tension/rivalry aspect of the whole equation, and Clannad After when it start showing Tomoya's struggle against the bad things fate/Zeus/whoever run the show have kicked at him.

Tristan and Yseult is the first romance I have read, and is still one of my favorites to this day. And I guess that the first of something affect what I do want in a given kind of story. In the case of romance, struggle, drama, joy and sadness in a nifty package. It can come with a downer ending, a bittersweet ending or even a "you earned it" happy ending. Just as long as I care for the characters and that their story have me rooting for them, yuri, yaoi and hetero doesn't matter to me.

(*) Romantic aspect as argued and beaten to the ground by a vocal portion of the fanbase, when to me, it is just friendship. But apparently when it is between two guys, it is friendship, but when it is two girls it is yuri and so pure and when it is between a guy and a girl, it becomes OMG DIE IN A FIRE!

Last edited by Sheba; 2010-10-24 at 05:24. Reason: rephrasing
Old 2010-10-24, 16:20   Link #188
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
two girls it is yuri and so pure
This is interesting, because the fact that yuri is seen as pure, which really means that it's expected to be pure, is one of the many issues holding back the genre.

Taking into account that Yurihime, the major yuri manga magazine in Japan, has a primarily female audience (70% of its readers are women), and many of the stories featured in this magazine depict some erotic content (mostly as a representation of affection, instead of fanservice), leads me to believe the problem is in the male readership.

Indeed, most of the successful stories in Yurhime S (Yurihime's sister magazine targeted to guys) are of the moe kind (think K-ON), where "purity" and "innocence" are expected. Most of the more racy stories in this magazine were canceled rather quickly for lack of interest. The few stories with real substance (like a really cute story about two women living together as a couple) were heavily criticised. Purity, then, not only means "non-erotic-content", it also means "non-real-relationship".

And yet, Yurihime S is to be discontinued (it's already been announced by the publisher). Can you tell what's happening here?? If yuri for guys is not that different from regular moe, the readers are better off buying regular moe magazines (think Kirara magazine).

So, the male readership in Japan is totally fu**ed up, and the female audience alone is not enough. That's why the publishers are trying desperately to appeal to the guys with their yuri, but they don't know how, and quite frankly, I don't know either. IMO, as long as these guys want their yuri to be just moe, the moe magazines will always have the upper hand, and we're talking about a niche market.

For now, I'm just waiting to see how the new yuri manga magazines for guys will fair. They're obviously going the moe road (they don't know anything else) so we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2010-10-25 at 02:00.
Old 2010-10-24, 16:44   Link #189
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Hey, Kazu-kun!

I know you're using manga as an example in talking about the current status of yuri, but what about the Sono Hanabira series? I know that's an adult visual novel, but that features females couple actually going through usual "slice-of-life" romantic moments with the occasional yuri sex scenes in between. And that series spawned a number of visual novels, drama CDs, doujin novels, and actual an yuri hentai OVA. Hell there's even a non-adult spinoff series called Hanahira thanks to a number of female users who played through the past games.

Could that be considered an outlier or some hope that maybe the audience really don't mind seeing two girls getting into a romantic relationship whether it's sexual or not without all the subtext BS?
Old 2010-10-25, 01:10   Link #190
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Quote:
Actually I love funny stuff, but I feel this isn't a topic where the subject should be joked about, it's a topic meant for serious discussion on the matter.

I apologize for mistaking your joke for a serious statement. It's not the first time this has happened to me. =/

Since we're going off topic I'll end this conversation here.
Yuri is serious buisness!
Old 2010-10-25, 02:15   Link #191
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Running out of yuri eroges i decided it was time to try some harem for a change. I picked yume miru kusuri. All went well. Cute girls, slice of life story, the usual stuff. As i was playing along, trying to figure out which heroine was the cutest and why the only girl i had seen naked till now was the 13y old sister... the male coworker started hitting on me.

When i realised what was happening i literally fell out of my chair. So, after a good lulz, i asked myself what just happened. Yaoi, in my harem ero? This coworker then proceeded to sexually harass my protagonist by feeling him up. Maybe the game has noticed that its played by a total yuri addict and decided to troll me really hard. What should i do? Has anywone expirience in exorcising yaoi out of a computer?
Old 2010-10-25, 02:28   Link #192
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
OK!!!! l prefer Yuri tha Yaoi.. coz l like hot chicks but without that Romance thing
Old 2010-10-25, 03:03   Link #193
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post

Indeed, most of the successful stories in Yurhime S (Yurihime's sister magazine targeted to guys) are of the moe kind (think K-ON), where "purity" and "innocence" are expected. Most of the more racy stories in this magazine were canceled rather quickly for lack of interest. The few stories with real substance (like a really cute story about two women living together as a couple) were heavily criticised. Purity, then, not only means "non-erotic-content", it also means "non-real-relationship".
That is perhaps my main qualm about yuri as it is sold now. It just don't "feel real", rather, I'd describe it as "disconnected from reality". Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for a full copy of real life drama, but I am asking for enough tension, hardships and conflicts to make me feel for the couple. Also the couple should have flaws that makes the characters feels like characters instead of waifu lumped with another waifu because otakus refuse to grow the fuck up and accept that their 2D waifu might be better with another 2D guy. Instead we are seeing them (the fans) going squee over mushy hugs and kisses like Twilight fangirls finding Edward Cullen in their bed because their couple is so lovely, so pure, so much more innocent. And that is annoying me enough to want to take another 10 years worth of Rachel being undecisive about Ross instead.
Old 2010-10-25, 03:27   Link #194
NoemiChan
Banned

Is there any Yoai or Yuri theme anime that had a happy ending??? i mean like "they live happily ever after got married and adopted children?

Tell so l can research some more...
Old 2010-10-25, 12:36   Link #195
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Running out of yuri eroges i decided it was time to try some harem for a change. I picked yume miru kusuri. All went well. Cute girls, slice of life story, the usual stuff. As i was playing along, trying to figure out which heroine was the cutest and why the only girl i had seen naked till now was the 13y old sister... the male coworker started hitting on me.

When i realised what was happening i literally fell out of my chair. So, after a good lulz, i asked myself what just happened. Yaoi, in my harem ero? This coworker then proceeded to sexually harass my protagonist by feeling him up. Maybe the game has noticed that its played by a total yuri addict and decided to troll me really hard. What should i do? Has anywone expirience in exorcising yaoi out of a computer?
Spoiler:
Old 2010-10-25, 20:47   Link #196
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Is there any Yoai or Yuri theme anime that had a happy ending??? i mean like "they live happily ever after got married and adopted children?

Tell so l can research some more...
Hm, well, in terms of yuri/shoujoai, Kannazuki no Miko had a pretty happy epilogue for the main couple, if you don't think too much about the implications of it. And Strawberry Panic had a happy ending for its main pairings as well, though how well you enjoy it will vary. Noir isn't technically yuri (it had, like, implications at best, and not even then), but the main girls in that got a pretty decent ending together. El Cazador de La Bruja was also a happy ending.
Old 2010-10-25, 22:29   Link #197
KanaMinami

I hate yaoi but I love Yuri

is the fairy this coming season
// Sig by ganbaru
Old 2010-10-26, 01:57   Link #198
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post

Hahahahahahaha.

You my friend, just got served. >:3
Old 2010-10-26, 15:52   Link #199
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Emperor View Post
Yuri is serious buisness!
It actually is for some occasions but in the other side of occasions, its cute/hilarious/just mind-blowing scenes
Old 2010-10-26, 20:56   Link #200
NoemiChan
Banned

I hope they add more males in yuri.... to see the battle of the sexes and do a poll to decide who would end uo with the female protagonist.... is it the second male protagonist or the other female (lesbian) protagonist... say you?

Lets get it on!
Closed Thread

Tags
yaoi, yuri