AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-18, 09:31   Link #1
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Any anime I've not seen and you think I should watch

Kinda inspired by the thread '' How could I have missed this '' by Guardian Enzo, I figured to try my luck as well.

Lately I've been really bored and I think I've watched all the mainstream ones so that only leaves now the less known titles .. It doesn't even matter if it's not a masterpiece or anything, as long as you don't think of it as pure garbage.

Few things to keep in mind : No yaoi, mecha or ecchi. When you look at my list you'll probably see few ecchi titles but those are most likely from few years back and my tastes have changed since then.

MAL

Last edited by Dist; 2011-05-30 at 17:19.
Old 2011-05-18, 09:44   Link #2
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

A few to start:

Fruits Basket , brilliant drama and comedy (based on the chinese zodiac).
Seitokai no Ichizon , the life of a student council, same setting of Yakuindomo (one guy and several girls), different development.
Ergo Proxy , future setting, dystopia, wonderful animations.
Higurashi no Naku koro Ni , comedy becomes horror in a rural setting. It's important to watch the second season too because it contains answers not given in the first. The OVA set is a bonus.
Old 2011-05-18, 10:38   Link #3
jedinat

Kurau Phantom Memory - just rewatched this again last week...
Hellsing and Hellsing (2006) - I would watch both (TV before OVA) but if you're not much interested, just watch the OVA (more manga-accurate retelling of the story)
Juuni Kokki - like the best anime ever aired
Trigun - like the second best anime ever aired
Mushishi - Mushishi
Kino no Tabi - Kino no Tabi

...like Pellissier said, a few to start. I must say you have have plenty to watch without resorting to "lesser known titles" for quite some time.
Old 2011-05-18, 10:45   Link #4
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I would EXTREMELY, HIGHLY second Fruits Basket(LOOK AT MY NAME). It has been and still is my all time favorite show. It's brimming with great comedy and drama in EVERY episode, and the english dub is EXTREMELY well done, which I'd personally recommend over the jp version. Seriously, WATCH THIS NOW !!!!

Now and Then, Here and There is pretty good. It's fairly gritty though, as it mostly shows kids being used and abused as tools for war, but it's a very well done drama.

Hana Yori Dango, aka Boys Over Flowers was something I greatly enjoyed. It has a strong, independent heroine as the main protagonist, and a pompous, arrogant, but occasionally considerate rich guy, whom she butt heads with much of the time. Both the anime and the live-action TV series are very good, so either one would be enjoyable.
Old 2011-05-18, 11:23   Link #5
Dist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Kurau Phantom Memory - just rewatched this again last week...
Hellsing and Hellsing (2006) - I would watch both (TV before OVA) but if you're not much interested, just watch the OVA (more manga-accurate retelling of the story)
Juuni Kokki - like the best anime ever aired
Trigun - like the second best anime ever aired
Mushishi - Mushishi
Kino no Tabi - Kino no Tabi

...like Pellissier said, a few to start. I must say you have have plenty to watch without resorting to "lesser known titles" for quite some time.
Kurau Phanton Memory .. *Looks at tag ''piloted robots'' and points to '' no mecha '' *
Hellsing .. I've been avoiding this for some reason .. Perhaps it's time to watch it.
Juuni Kokki .. Same as Hellsing, will check it out.
Trigun .. I've watched the first episode, but then dropped it. I could pick it up again if you explained to me what makes it so great. The whole comedy / slapstick part .. Well, it just wasn't funny. Maybe because it's made in 1998 so all the gags and whatnot feel '' old ''.
Mushishi & Kino no Tabi. Seen these both but forgot to update MAL. I loved them both .. I really like anime where there's travelling around so you see a lot of different places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
A few to start:

Fruits Basket , brilliant drama and comedy (based on the chinese zodiac).
Seitokai no Ichizon , the life of a student council, same setting of Yakuindomo (one guy and several girls), different development.
Ergo Proxy , future setting, dystopia, wonderful animations.
Higurashi no Naku koro Ni , comedy becomes horror in a rural setting. It's important to watch the second season too because it contains answers not given in the first. The OVA set is a bonus.
Fruits Basket .. I recall watching this at one point but then dropped it, I don't remember why though .. Well it IS shoujo .. if it has pretty guys or something like that then no wonder.
Seitokai no Ichizon .. Watched this as well at one point, but then dropped. The gags just didn't really do it for me unlike in Yakuindomo. I may give it another try though.
Ergo Proxy .. Will check it out.
Higurashi .. I've watched the first few episodes until it resets, then dropped. Somehow the whole reset thing I found just confusing and stupid. Not to mention all the girls I found so annoying I wanted to kill them myself, but fortunately the main character took care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I would EXTREMELY, HIGHLY second Fruits Basket(LOOK AT MY NAME). It has been and still is my all time favorite show. It's brimming with great comedy and drama in EVERY episode, and the english dub is EXTREMELY well done, which I'd personally recommend over the jp version. Seriously, WATCH THIS NOW !!!!

Now and Then, Here and There is pretty good. It's fairly gritty though, as it mostly shows kids being used and abused as tools for war, but it's a very well done drama.

Hana Yori Dango, aka Boys Over Flowers was something I greatly enjoyed. It has a strong, independent heroine as the main protagonist, and a pompous, arrogant, but occasionally considerate rich guy, whom she butt heads with much of the time. Both the anime and the live-action TV series are very good, so either one would be enjoyable.
It's nice to have something depressing to watch once in a while .. So I'll probably check out Now and Then, Here and There. I despise english dub and no matter how good you think a dub is, I will not watch one under any circumstances. I can't stand to watch anime in english, which is why I've not even watched Afro Samurai. I don't like any live-action much .. even less japanese ones.

Few notes : I don't generally like shojo either, but there may be exceptions. If it's full of '' pretty boys '' then don't suggest it. Another is that I'm really picky when it comes to art, and more specifically character designs. That's why older anime is usually no good. Again there may be exceptions though, like Trigun, it looks pretty good for anime from 1998.

With that said, keep the suggestions coming. I don't need just '' few '' to start but rather '' everything '' that I may like and hopefully they'll keep me busy through the summer till my studies start.
Old 2011-05-18, 11:39   Link #6
Ragna92

Code Geass, and Monster (similar to death note)
Gundam Seed
Old 2011-05-18, 11:46   Link #7
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Kurau Phanton Memory .. *Looks at tag ''piloted robots'' and points to '' no mecha '' *
It's not mecha. The main character pilots a battle robot thing (think battlebots) for part of one episode.

Quote:
Trigun .. I've watched the first episode, but then dropped it. I could pick it up again if you explained to me what makes it so great. The whole comedy / slapstick part .. Well, it just wasn't funny. Maybe because it's made in 1998 so all the gags and whatnot feel '' old ''.
It vacillates between silly and serious. Eventually you understand that Vash's smiling and goofy personality is just a mask he wears... can't help it if it's not to your taste of course, but it's an absolute classic.
Old 2011-05-18, 12:09   Link #8
Ermes Marana

Some great shows you might have missed:

Future Boy Conan
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (and the series through Kyoto arc)
Monster
Detective Conan (just skip the fillers and it is amazing)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Serial Experiments Lain
Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran
FMP Fumoffu
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Trigun
Honey and Clover
Crest of the Stars (and sequels)
Berserk
Master Keaton
R.O.D - the TV (and Read or Die OVA)
Kare Kano
Black Lagoon
Princess Tutu
Paranoia Agent
Hunter X Hunter
Seirei no Moribito
Kaleido Star
FLCL
Detective Academy Q (only if you're a fan of detective shows)
12 Kingdoms
Planetes
Nodame Cantabile
Gankutsuou
Old 2011-05-18, 13:52   Link #9
Ziziphus
Whatever

I see that you're quite compatible with shounen? So with nothing else coming to my mind atm, I recommend to you one of my most favourite shounen titles: Hunter x Hunter. (It's a little old but the quality is actually very decent to good imo.) The story is very good especially towards the end of the TV series and pretty amazing in the OVA sequels.

Also, I'm watching GetBackers atm, another old shounen title. I didn't really like the few first episodes but the story became much better and more and more exciting as the series went on. I may as well suggest you take a look at that to see if it's up your alley.
Old 2011-05-18, 14:25   Link #10
Dist

Indeed .. I guess if I had to say 3 favourite genres they would be shonen, comedy and yuri. Though sadly there's not much of yuri to watch . Those two series seem pretty good so I'll give them a go. I hope that I like Hunter x Hunter because it's always a plus if the series has more than 24 episodes, as long as they're not fillers ( like ugh, naruto ).

I will also check out what Ermes recommended, although I can recognize some titles that I have tried and not liked probably because the cast has been all adults and not just in their 20's but older .. I guess I prefer watching anime about people around my age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragna92 View Post
Code Geass, and Monster (similar to death note)
Gundam Seed
I would appreciate it if you read the original post before contributing to a thread. I said I don't want mecha.

Last edited by Dist; 2011-05-18 at 14:36.
Old 2011-05-18, 15:48   Link #11
jedinat

Quote:
Indeed .. I guess if I had to say 3 favourite genres they would be shonen, comedy and yuri.
Ah! And yet you have not seen Maria-sama ga Miteru and its sequels!? And you dropped Simoun?! Where is Candy Boy? Aoi Hana? You dropped Strawberry Panic too... What about Sasameki Koto?

...I am quite incensed.
Old 2011-05-18, 15:52   Link #12
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'll second:
Juuni Kokki
Seitokai no Ichizon
Fruits Basket
Seirei no Moribito

Older:
Sasameki Koto - fun slice of life, comedy, and yuri series, it's cute and enjoyable .
Bungaku Shoujo
- a really great romance/drama movie from last year with no ecchi in at all.
One mecha-ish series, but it's was also a rather interesting yuri series, Kannazuki no Miko, so maybe you'd be willing to give it a chance.
Two Slightly ecchi comedies:
B Gata H Kei - it's sorta of like a slightly more romance/comedy form of Seitokai Yakuindomo, the vast majority of the "ecchi" is either from Yamada's words or imagination .
Needless - it's mostly a series comedy and "shounen-parody" action series in a way, though there were a certain few episodes that had ecchi moments, but I think the series might would be enjoyable anyways, as anyone

Currently Airing:
A Channel - it's the same kind of comedy found in K-On or Lucky Star would generally have and of course having it's 4 girl ensemble being similar so I'll suggest giving it a try.
MAL
Old 2011-05-18, 16:04   Link #13
Dist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Ah! And yet you have not seen Maria-sama ga Miteru and its sequels!? And you dropped Simoun?! Where is Candy Boy? Aoi Hana? You dropped Strawberry Panic too... What about Sasameki Koto?

...I am quite incensed.
Setting in Marimite is what I don't like, and I couldn't get attached to any of the girls so what's the point of watching yuri if you don't like any of the girls in it ? The same goes for Simoun, and Strawberry Panic.

No idea why I've never even heard of Sasameki Koto .. time to fix that. The characters seem likeable from pictures so I'll give it a go.

I've seen Candy Boy .. time to update MAL, and I put Aoi Hana on hold earlier .. I don't remember why though. Might be because of that girl with the glasses. Not fan of those, mostly because their personalities are always the same no matter what anime .. <.<

As for other suggestions .. I tried A Channel but didn't like it. While I found Lucky Star enjoyable, I did not however, like Azumanga at all. So go figure .. Also, when it comes to mecha, I just despise it so much that even if I'm missing out otherwise on excellent story or some yuri goodness, I can't just bring myself to watch it. Hence why I haven't watched Code Geass for example.
Old 2011-05-18, 16:28   Link #14
Kafriel
Senior Guest

s-CRY-ed: classic shonen action, some interesting cultural points and lots of fun.
Baccano!: while indifferent at first glance, it has a very deep plot and amazing characters. Must watch.
Samurai Deeper Kyo: a bit of a ninja scrolls feeling, but since you don't care about type, here's the samurai of my list.
Natsume Yuujinchou: kind of like Mushishi, I guess? With the third season coming up, now's a good time to check out the first two.
Old 2011-05-18, 17:08   Link #15
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If Gurren Lagann has been suggested I missed it. Based on your "10"s I think you'd enjoy it.
Old 2011-05-18, 18:07   Link #16
kitten320

Some good shows in my opinion:
07-Ghost - it is mostly all male cast but no real, actual yaoi
*Baccano - a huge must, can't believe you didn't watch it.
Bamboo Blade
Busou Renkin - took me a while to get into it, but somehwere around episodes 7-10 when twins appeared, it started to be more fun. though if you are not very patient, you might not watch it then because I almost dropped it several times at first.
Canaan
*Claymore - another famouse series which I consider good
*Ga-Rei Zero - one of my faves
*Great Teacher Onizuka - also a must. The teacher is a perv but series can't be called ecchi and it has great cast of characters and story
Inuyasha
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Love Hina - does have fanservice but nothing very glaring like in Rosario Vampire series. However, manga is better.
*Mai HiME - another faves of mine. Reminds of Fate/Stay Night as well as of Madoka, music was also done by Kajiura Yuki so it has great soundtracks^^
*Monster
Rozen Maiden 2 - i know that you have watched 1st season, was it no good at all? Because 2nd season and specials are better and more interesting.

If you are interested in some calm series with slice of life sence then you can try:
Aria the Animation
Sora No Woto

*Maria-sama ga Miteru - if you don't mind slice of life with slight yuri, it gets better with each season

* - higher recommendations
Old 2011-05-18, 18:31   Link #17
Dist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If Gurren Lagann has been suggested I missed it. Based on your "10"s I think you'd enjoy it.
You know, in threads like these it's important you read the OP and not just find MAL link or suggest whatever comes in your mind. I said no mecha and I stand behind my words. I've tried Gurren .. twice.. dropped on both times. The animation is superb and it kinda annoys me actually that the characters are so likeable but the mecha is main focus of the story so I can't watch it.

Thanks for the other suggestions, though. I'll check some of them out though I can see few names already that I've checked out in the past and didn't like them. I'm not good at keeping my MAL up to date so sorry about that
Old 2011-05-18, 19:15   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sorry, missed the mecha reference.
Old 2011-05-18, 21:05   Link #19
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Looking over you list I'd suggest:

Crest of the Stars because you like several shonen shows, and Spice and Wolf.

Maison Ikkoku Because you liked Toradora, Clannad and Zero no Tsukaima

Cross Game
Because you like Clannad and Ano Hana.

Read or Die because you like shonen action

Full Metal Panic
because you like Toradora and Gintama. Yes, I know you said no mecha, but FMP is actually pretty light on the mecha. If you really hate the mecha you could always just watch the Fumuffu season (2nd season) which has no mecha. You won't know as much about the characters, but it will still be hilarious. Trust me, you'll like it.

The first Fumuffu episode:

Subs
Dub (the dub for FMP is actually pretty good.)

Ranma 1/2 comedy

Hayate the Combat Butler comedy

Neon Genesis Evangelion yes, yes, I know you said no mecha. But if there is one mecha you ought to watch it's this one. It's impacted anime so much, it extends well beyond the mecha genre. I'm not a big mecha fan myself, but this one was worth watching.

I also think you ought to consider finishing The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2011-05-18 at 21:41.
Old 2011-05-19, 10:59   Link #20
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I'll 2nd

Busou Renkin
Canaan
Bamboo Blade
Needless
Full metal Panic Fumoffu

Worth a look

Umi Monogatari - very, very nice anime, got a odd dark tone to it but nothing extreme like the japanese are so fond of. Kinda, magical girl, with some yuri subtext thrown in and since you seem to like that, should be a decent watch.

Since you seem to like Mitsudomoe and I don't see Hanamaru Youchien, I'll throw that in. It's more slice of life tho.

Level E - Wacky, crazy, bishounen aliens, def worth a look.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume - A must watch!

Taishou Yakyuu Musume - About a girls baseball team set in the Taisho period.

Now I know you dropped it but I have to recommend you give History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi another go.
Yes the anime does suffer from bad quality animation but I like to think it's part of the charm.
While being very cliche it's still a very, very good shounen series.
I myself just recently watched the series again and cataching up with the manga.

On that note, I'd like to recommend Beelzebub but in truth the anime has been that great but not that bad either.
If anything I would say check out the manga instead, it's awesome!