AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-04-02, 04:57   Link #581
jasper222

i love how this forum is understanding of the fact that gate is just fiction and is cool with the whole "black man with high tech gear = america" shtick.

and no, i'm not being sarcastic. lots of idiots in other forums complaining about how the US didn't go into japan with all guns blazing and nukes at the ready. >__>
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 05:58   Link #582
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for c21 raw:
Old 2013-04-02, 15:46   Link #583
Elestia

The political dimension of the story really is one of the less appealing parts of the story. It drags the pacing and often comes out as half-baked. On the other hand we got our Onsen episode quicker than expected.
Old 2013-04-04, 03:45   Link #584
Velsy

ok, so America is sending special forces into Japan to abduct the guests....... and China look like they want to invade Japan for the gate. Is it going to be ww3 over a gate in the middle of Toyko ?

Other than that, Rori seems a little interested in Itami's romance status O_o. Sir Bozes seemed a little flusted with Tomita O_o. And whys the fujoshi now hanging out with them ? I not much of a fan of her becoming a regular <.< And Kiruyabashi boobs are huge. They have to be silicon ?

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 21:56   Link #585
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I haven't read chapter 21 yet, but why the heck is the US Military trying to abduct the guests? Or is America contractually obligated to do silly evil stuff against their allies for goofy reasons in Japanese series like this?

edit: Ah. So they're going for evil overlord America it seems.

I gotta say. Hardcore nationalists seldom write interesting political stories.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2013-04-04 at 22:11.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 22:25   Link #586
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I haven't read chapter 21 yet, but why the heck is the US Military trying to abduct the guests? Or is America contractually obligated to do silly evil stuff against their allies for goofy reasons in Japanese series like this?
More than abducting, it seems that they want a pipe line to offer the better deal. Also, chapter 21 pretty much hints that all of the attacks were merely duds meant to fail and to get the Japanese into a compromising position; a very Japanese minded plot focusing in the charms of debt and payment, mind you.
Old 2013-04-04, 22:58   Link #587
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
More than abducting, it seems that they want a pipe line to offer the better deal.
Whyyyy not just talk to them? They're walking around in public where they could easily be approached. You know what hotel they're at.

If you're gonna use the blackmail material for anything, you should use it to get the PM to send the diplomats to spend a weekend or two at the US embassy in Japan to talk things over. The idea of the Japanese PM being blackmailable in this situation, after you've pulled this commando stunt, is quite frankly laughable. Unless the scandal involved ritualistic cannibal meat baby farming, nobody would pay attention to it in light of armed US commandos being up to this kinda shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
Also, chapter 21 pretty much hints that all of the attacks were merely duds meant to fail and to get the Japanese into a compromising position; a very Japanese minded plot focusing in the charms of debt and payment, mind you.
That doesn't make any sense.

If this operation goes south, America is the one in the massively compromised position. What if Japan reveals that this happened to the world? An American administration would be in deep shit for running paramilitary ops in an allied country aimed at abducting diplomatic personal. Especially if that operation failed and US servicemen were taken prisoner. There'd be all sorts of domestic agitation directed towards the administration to secure their release, while also being angry at the administration for pulling this kind of stunt.

I'm gonna have to question the idea that this is some Japanese culture specific thing. Cause I'm pretty sure Japanese culture doesn't require you to be ashamed by the incompetence of people plotting against you.

Quote:
"SHOGUN! Most dreadful news!"
"What is it?"
"A team of ninja from a rival clan attempted to abduct the diplomat staying in our castle!"
"Did they succeed?"
"No Shogun! They...failed miserably!"
"WHAT? How?"
"They attempted to scale our outer wall, but the guards discovered them, and killed them with arrows, and sent attack dogs to maul them to death! It was very one sided."
"AGH! Their wantonly incompetent failed attempt to infiltrate our castle is a most SHAMEFUR DISPRAY on our part! Everyone must now commit seppuku!"
"AT ONCE SHOGUN!"

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2013-04-04 at 23:09.
Old 2013-04-04, 23:49   Link #588
Velsy

Quote:
If you're gonna use the blackmail material for anything, you should use it to get the PM to send the diplomats to spend a weekend or two at the US embassy in Japan to talk things over.
heh, Thats the smartest idea the prez could of done. If they had done that they wouldnt have dead amercian soliders either. They really thought they could swoop in and take them?

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2013-04-05, 03:52   Link #589
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Well im guessing itami(was that his name lol) will show off his ranger skills in the next 2 chapters
Old 2013-04-05, 07:16   Link #590
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
heh, Thats the smartest idea the prez could of done. If they had done that they wouldnt have dead amercian soliders either. They really thought they could swoop in and take them?
Pretty much.

Frankly, I'm not sure what the US was supposed to accomplish by snatching the diplomats. Japan still retains functional control of the gate, as well as the military base on the opposite side (in large part, because the US was too cheap to deploy there along with the Japanese). Any kind of potential agreement that could be made with the empire would be pointless.

But the author needed an excuse for Murika to be evil, so Murika decided to do evil things for no particular reason.
Old 2013-04-05, 09:47   Link #591
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Because 'MURIKA is evil. Go read some of Ridwan's posts about the Illumanti and the Free Masons. That said, there's definitely the whole conspiracy theory thing going on .. that countries are constantly conducting black ops against each other .. Bourne Identity much?
Old 2013-04-05, 09:57   Link #592
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
^ Because 'MURIKA is evil. Go read some of Ridwan's posts about the Illumanti and the Free Masons. That said, there's definitely the whole conspiracy theory thing going on .. that countries are constantly conducting black ops against each other .. Bourne Identity much?
I think action movies centered around black ops soldiers doing over the top tacticool stuff has certainly captured peoples imaginations.
Old 2013-04-14, 12:49   Link #593
SatelliteCannon

Chapter 22 raws are up!

If anything else, I'm very glad that this manga is getting updated twice per month. Though the chapters seem shorter...

I wonder what the chances are of an anime of this being made. Military topics seem to be doing good over the past year or so.

Spoiler:
SatelliteCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 13:12   Link #594
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteCannon View Post
It was mentioned earlier that the manga tones down the "right-wing-ism" of the novels. I wonder what changes have been made in the manga up to now..
Maybe it's stuff like this?

Old 2013-04-14, 17:36   Link #595
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteCannon View Post
Chapter 22 raws are up!

If anything else, I'm very glad that this manga is getting updated twice per month. Though the chapters seem shorter...
There's a translation available now for the chapter too here in this thread. https://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/83512588/#83512588

Anyone have the full 5th novel cover? I thought it was linked in this thread but I can't seem to find it.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy

Last edited by Xacual; 2013-04-14 at 18:25.
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 18:20   Link #596
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
You'd think that Itami would have learned by now that Rory getting "hot and bothered" foreshadows that there's blood being shed close by, and that there's going to be even MORE blood shed (care of a certain horny demigoddess).
Old 2013-04-14, 23:15   Link #597
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Wow Itami actually felt her up, well if a girl was on top of you like that, youd have to do it lol
Old 2013-04-14, 23:47   Link #598
Velsy

I had a squizy peek over the raws since I couldnt help myself

Spoiler for Raws spoiler:

Quote:
Maybe it's stuff like this?

Not sure about what the message means, but I can guess what its about being an Aussie myself

Aussie involvement in the pacific war prevented a complete take over by the Japanese?

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2013-04-15, 00:36   Link #599
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
I had a squizy peek over the raws since I couldnt help myself

Spoiler for Raws spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Okashira; 2013-04-17 at 20:09.
Okashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 06:03   Link #600
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for c22 raw:

Tags
fantasy, harem, military science fiction