AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 48 47.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 29.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 15.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-21, 17:38   Link #101
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

I agree with FlareKnight. Against the Medioh company, Horo couldn't tell what would happen. But now back in the woods surrounded by wolves, she's has full confidence.

And poor Lawrence, always the same rotten luck. Hopefully after this he'll learn to stop those get-rich-quick schemes. I saw the betrayal from a mile away.

Another point. After seeing Horo, I had guessed we might see other supernatural entities, wich lets me to ponder how much fantasy we'll see in the serie. For one thing, can Nora use magic? It didn't seem so, but then again the wolves retreated quickly, maybe she was saving her magic for when it was really needed.
Old 2008-03-21, 17:42   Link #102
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
Is this the final episode? Animenfo says this show is only 12 episodes long
Old 2008-03-21, 17:52   Link #103
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
I agree with FlareKnight. Against the Medioh company, Horo couldn't tell what would happen. But now back in the woods surrounded by wolves, she's has full confidence.

And poor Lawrence, always the same rotten luck. Hopefully after this he'll learn to stop those get-rich-quick schemes. I saw the betrayal from a mile away.

Another point. After seeing Horo, I had guessed we might see other supernatural entities, which lets me to ponder how much fantasy we'll see in the series. For one thing, can Nora use magic? It didn't seem so, but then again the wolves retreated quickly, maybe she was saving her magic for when it was really needed.
Well Lawrence should take more care with betrayal considering how much its happened lately. Though the gold scheme had to be done since there weren't any other options. Maybe he'll take more care about putting himself in a position where he has to do something like this.

You'd almost have thought about supernatural powers, but series hasn't gone that far. Other than Horo's ability to transform which has a price attached, hasn't been that much else. Nora is just a girl who got too much attention from the church because she was so good at being a shepherd. Wolves just ran off due to Horo. Then the big youngster pretty much called her out. Nora's very good at what she does, but nothing beyond that.

Am curious that if a second season does come out what else we could expect. Doubt we'll stray too far from what the series is about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
Is this the final episode? Animenfo says this show is only 12 episodes long
Nope, still one more episode to go. Only 12 are airing on tv, with episode 7 only being on the DVD.
Old 2008-03-21, 20:34   Link #104
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The tension in this episode was just incredible. There was hardly a moment of respite. You couldn't pay me to look away during this episode.

I don't disagree that this series desperately needs another season, but what we've seen from it so far has been great. There's hardly a single point in this series that I can criticize, except superficial things like "not long enough" or "the occasional drop in animation". It does all the important things like tension, plot, music and characters, so well, IMO.
Old 2008-03-21, 20:51   Link #105
Kaguya
an idler

I wonder if the voice actress's voice of "Stand down" is the same one after the transformation of Horo.
It will become clear in the last episode.

Last edited by Kaguya; 2008-03-21 at 21:14.
Old 2008-03-21, 21:32   Link #106
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Someone negrepped me for post 74 in this thread but then the comment appears as if they agreed with what I said (quote: "RIGHT!"). I'm going to assume they misfired???

If that person meant the negrep, I'd like to hear what what was perceived as a problem because the comment seems to indicate they agreed with the post
PM me if you feel more comfortable doing that.

@Sorrow-K: yeah... if you've got 12/13 episodes to work with, this next-to-last episode is pretty riveting as a cliff-hanger. And taken on its own - the series manages its time budget exceptionally well compared with many other series.
Old 2008-03-21, 21:55   Link #107
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Someone negrepped me for post 74 in this thread but then the comment appears as if they agreed with what I said (quote: "RIGHT!"). I'm going to assume they misfired???

If that person meant the negrep, I'd like to hear what what was perceived as a problem because the comment seems to indicate they agreed with the post
PM me if you feel more comfortable doing that.

@Sorrow-K: yeah... if you've got 12/13 episodes to work with, this next-to-last episode is pretty riveting as a cliff-hanger. And taken on its own - the series manages its time budget exceptionally well compared with many other series.
You too eh? I was for post 77. Probably just someone going around giving negative rep for kicks.
Old 2008-03-21, 22:24   Link #108
Voduar

Good episode, but it reminded me of something:When Nora was first introduced, I was unsure if she was the pagan character, or if Enik was. This episode again reminds me that the dog maybe more than he appears to be, and that Nora may just be a simple shepherdess. Then again, Horo does insist that Nora is tougher than she appears, so who knows who the real pagan deity is?

While I agree with the consensus that this series is better than many full season series, I would actually like to point out that the short season may be improving the quality here, as it seems that there is little filler or general stretching to water it down. While it seems to have a lot of source material, perhaps the amount they started with for a first season will turn out to be about right.
Old 2008-03-21, 22:47   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, substitute "pagan mage" for "deity" and I think you've got an interesting point --- is there an actual 'pagan magic user'? The Church clearly thinks Nora is suspect.... but what if it is Enik (or simply that Enik just is special... mixed wolf?)? Or is it all just crap -- Church needs to expose pagans to reinforce their hold on the populace.

I *think* Horo is just saying that Nora was a tough little flower to be what she is at this point.... but there are still too many things unrevealed and it isn't at all clear what Nora's current situation actually is. We're left with Lawrence's point-of-view in that he knows the fate of neither Horo nor Nora --- and yeah.... I'd probably be mad and upset enough to cry in that situation.
Old 2008-03-21, 23:13   Link #110
Tri-ring

You know there is this big plot hole in the present situation since the gold is within that chaperon's pocket so even if Lawrence doublecrossed them at the gate it does not help Lawrence out of his financial problems therefore it is meaningless for Lemerio to think and/or consider Lawrence would doublecross them before entering the gate. There is also the problem that since Nora is the key in smuggling in the gold through the gates without a hitch, it would be not in their best interest for them to roughen up the relationship with Lawrence since Nora was introduced through Lawrence for this plan.
I wonder what the three from Lemerio was planning to do when all of them came out of the woods together?
Old 2008-03-21, 23:21   Link #111
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm going to guess the original plan was to wait til all three got back to town ... then when payout time was due they'd just arrange for Nora, Horo, and Lawrence to fall into a deep pit. It may also be that the plan was hatched on the spot the instant Liebert returned with Nora alone. Easier to off Horo/Lawrence in the woods and then Nora can be framed in half a dozen ways or just be vanished into slavery.

It is pretty unclear what Nora's status is at the end of ep 12 (whether they've even gotten to the point of letting her know things aren't going well for her).
Old 2008-03-22, 00:04   Link #112
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Yeah, I'm just under the belief that Nora and Enik are just good at their jobs. Don't think we're looking at magic users, or a special breed with Enik. The dog is pretty clever to pick up on Horo like that, but don't think its much more than that. Nora certainly is tougher than she would give off at first glance, but that's nothing mystical. Maybe I'm completely off and they will both surprise me in the final episode.

I do wonder how Nora is doing at the end of 12. She is in a dangerous position, but whether she has realized that or not is hard to say. Still can't believe they would do anything before getting back into town. After all she is the key in getting them in without suspicion.
Old 2008-03-22, 01:36   Link #113
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Safe?

So is it safe to assume since the men from Lemerio were waiting for Horo and Lawrence that Nora, with the chaperon has already smuggled the gold into the city? In other words, they were sent out after Nora arrived and informed them of the situation.

Last edited by mikesince83; 2008-03-22 at 12:28.
Old 2008-03-22, 02:40   Link #114
Voduar

Indeed, figuring out whats intended and what is coincidental can be a bit of work in this series. Rewatching a bit of ep9, I was reminded of what struck me as odd:Enik found Nora, and she apparently began shepherding soon after, and has been at it for 4 years. Then, Nora and Lawrence began talking about how her meeting Enik is probably God's will, or an answer to prayers. This struck at me because God does not seem to exist in S&W, so I began thinking of ulterior methods. Also, as an aside, a well trained sheep dog generally will not abandon its master, so Enik had to come from an odd situation. Also, dogs just don't live but so long, so its also a little odd for Enik to be as skilled as he is but still filled with spunk. That said, the last detail is sort of easy to ignore if you don't spend time with working animals.
Old 2008-03-22, 03:31   Link #115
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, the "God's will" line -- if you'll notice such sayings that invoke God pepper all the conversations. If you don't invoke God about every two sentences (God meant for it, thanks to God, etc) the Orwellian-like Church thought police (most anyone listening) will begin to suspect you for heresy. Lawrence doesn't seem to believe a word of it, but goes through the motions.

Interesting thoughts on Enik though...
Old 2008-03-22, 09:07   Link #116
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I wonder if the DVD episodes are gonna be uncensored... lol
Old 2008-03-22, 12:47   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Was something censored? I'm not aware of any censoring unless you're referring to the art style they use when Horo is undressed.
Old 2008-03-22, 13:30   Link #118
MyGoddess
Tessa-sama

Send a message via MSN to MyGoddess
Great episode.

So Horo isn't the only one after all. I wonder if that other wolf has a human form too. Probably not but it's fun to imagine.

I think the last episode will be inconclusive so there will be many things left open. I haven't seen the novel so I wouldn't know though.
Old 2008-03-22, 13:53   Link #119
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Well think that that kind of wolf being able to turn into a human form may not be too unusual. Though Horo eats some grain for hers, would wonder what kind of price others have to pay? But doesn't seem like the youngster in this episode would be interested in changing forms anyways.

Should be pretty open finish. Aside from dealing with this current situation, of course.
Old 2008-03-22, 14:03   Link #120
LKK

I finally got a chance to watch the sub. Now I can vote. I ended up giving the episode an 8. I would have really given it an 8.5 if I could because I thought the episode was better than the others I've given an 8 to but still not quite up to episode 4 which I gave a 9 to. Episode 4 still hasn't been topped in my opinion but I have high hopes for episode 13. I'll looking for a whopper of an emotional roller coaster come Tuesday.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Closed Thread