AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-02, 23:59   Link #26161
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Canadians' possible role in Algeria attack of great concern to U.S.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90U1DD20130131
Old 2013-02-03, 00:00   Link #26162
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Speaking of passwords.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-02-03, 01:08   Link #26163
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Sniper Chris Kyle killed in Erath County Saturday, man arrested in his, another’s slaying

Chris Kyle, a former Navy SEAL and author of the best-selling book American Sniper, and a second person were shot and killed Saturday at a gun range in Erath County, U.S. Marshals said.

Late Saturday, Lancaster police arrested a man who they say matched the description of a man wanted in connection with the slayings. After a brief chase, officers arrested 25-year-old Eddie Ray Routh, according to Lancaster police spokesperson Kelly Hooten.
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013...h-county.html/

So, having guns makes people safer, huh?

Well. Just to highlight two points here. This man:

1) Professional sniper
2) Killed at a gun range

Ironic? Yes. And, my goodness. This dude was good enough to make it into the Navy SEALs.

Gun issues aside. I am curious as to the murder's motive in this case. And this is one of the more crappier ways for a serviceman to die. At least, the killer is caught; and naturally, the due process of law will kick in.

Reading a bit more...

Quote:
The suspect was believed to be highly trained with military experience.
Oh...
Old 2013-02-03, 01:43   Link #26164
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Well, a substantial part of the US economy is based on consumer spending, so you don't necessarily want it to decrease, especially when the economy is still weak. Of course, the question is will the increased spending and economic activity will translate into enough growths in the job market and wages to counter the negative effects.

Meanwhile in China...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-21289321

yikes... that's gotta be a LOT of fireworks in that truck to destroy so much highway...
Kind of late. But here are some tests.

The Chinese truck was transporting 9 tons of fireworks.
Old 2013-02-03, 03:36   Link #26165
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

1) Professional sniper
2) Killed at a gun range

Ironic? Yes. And, my goodness. This dude was good enough to make it into the Navy SEALs.
You know the mods won't like this one, so I'm gonna keep to the event itself(mostly)

A gun is a tool, it doesn't magically make you safer or make you do evil things. Whether it accomplishes anything depends entirely on the person utilizing it.

That said, there is scant few details in that article, and I haven't been able to find out anything more from other sources yet.. What was the circumstances involved in the killing? was Kyle even armed? what did it mean he was working with another vet with PTSD (at a range? )? It almost sounds like this was a targeted killing, which frankly will always have the victim at a severe disadvantage - nobody, not even a SEAL, lives their live as if they're about to be assassinated 24/7.

On the other hand, if the killer was one of the PTSD patients Kyle was working with.... man, I have to say that mixing guns with people suffering from PTSD was probably not the brightest idea...
Old 2013-02-03, 04:24   Link #26166
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Umm, no, not at all.

All of the passwords in the top-25 list are single lower-case dictionary words, or simple numeric strings like "123123". None have capitalization or use any special characters, nor do they mix numbers and letters.

This is as much a tribute to the stupidity of the developers who permit these passwords to be used as it is to the people who use them.

You can see why using rainbow tables is an effective technique.
Ok....I always thought the standard minimum password would have at least 30 characters
Old 2013-02-03, 05:51   Link #26167
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013...h-county.html/

1) Professional sniper
2) Killed at a gun range

Gun issues aside. I am curious as to the murder's motive in this case. And this is one of the more crappier ways for a serviceman to die. At least, the killer is caught; and naturally, the due process of law will kick in.

Reading a bit more...

Oh...
I'll pretend you didn't make some inane comment about guns and address the story instead.

Can't say I'm surprised by this after what Chris Kyle said about Jesse Ventura and a host of other people.
He did stake the claim as being the "deadliest" Navy Seal sniper and that invites trouble.
Eddie Ray Routh, the suspect, is an ex-Marine who apparently took issue with something Kyle said or did.
That's not the crowd you want to piss off.

I'm not claiming that Ventura had anything to do with this guy Eddie Ray Routh's motive, because I don't know if it did or not, but I'm sure we'll find out.
However, Chris Kyle bragged a lot about his abilities, and that is not something you want to do as publicly as this guy did, especially with a book about his exploits as a Seal.
While it is certainly wrong that someone shot and killed him, it is something that a person like Kyle should have seen as a possiblity given the claims he was making.

Here is an interview he did with TIME.

Old 2013-02-03, 07:06   Link #26168
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Ok....I always thought the standard minimum password would have at least 30 characters
You certainly very secure type person

Old 2013-02-03, 08:42   Link #26169
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

@ GundamFan0083 to br honest, I though than a guy than was in the SEAL would be brighter than that, bright enough to not make such claim.

Bank scandal helps surge by Berlusconi ahead of Italy election
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9100QN20130201
Are the Italians really going to elect him again ?
Old 2013-02-03, 08:55   Link #26170
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
@ GundamFan0083 to br honest, I though than a guy than was in the SEAL would be brighter than that, bright enough to not make such claim.

You forget that in politics, it is always a choice of a lesser evil.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-02-03, 09:58   Link #26171
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Standard M.O. for dealing with possible hacked websites applies: change your password on the service and in every other service where the same username (and/or email)/password combination is used.
The problem here is that both passwords were different, but the password for my g-mail account would have been easy to get with a dictionary to hand.

I've now started dumping numerical sequences at the end of the passwords used for my e-mail accounts, but at least google actually stopped whoever it was from accessing my g-mail account unlike yahoo who allowed someone from Egypt to run amok in my backup yahoo mail account sending spam to anyone they wanted and only left me with a small notification that I might have missed.
Old 2013-02-03, 10:25   Link #26172
Sumeragi
Banned

My password requires knowledge of Japanese, Korean, and history to understand.
Old 2013-02-03, 11:39   Link #26173
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
However, Chris Kyle bragged a lot about his abilities, and that is not something you want to do as publicly as this guy did, especially with a book about his exploits as a Seal.
If bragging was a sure way of getting killed then Steven Segal would be so dead he would need to hide like Salman Rushide
Old 2013-02-03, 12:23   Link #26174
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
unlike yahoo who allowed someone from Egypt to run amok in my backup yahoo mail account sending spam to anyone they wanted and only left me with a small notification that I might have missed.
Yahoo, AOL, and Hotmail are notoriously insecure because they enable hackers to change the password on the account over the web. There are YouTube tutorials on how to hijack a Yahoo mail account. As someone who manages an e-mail listserver for my college classmates, I've seen half-a-dozen accounts be hijacked in this way over the past couple of years.

GMail can be configured so that a password change requires that a confirmation code be sent as a SMS text message to a cell phone, or emailed to an account other than the one in question. That makes it very much harder to compromise GMail accounts. I wouldn't use any other free email service myself, though all my real mail is delivered to a Linux server sitting in my home.
Old 2013-02-03, 13:57   Link #26175
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
If bragging was a sure way of getting killed then Steven Segal would be so dead he would need to hide like Salman Rushide
I don't think Segal would ever take a mentally ill ex-marine to a gun club for a "charity" benefit for the security firm he was working for (don't know if Mr. Kyle owned any portion of the company or not).
That's exactly what happened to Kyle.
He knew this guy Routh, and knew that the ex-marine had PTSD, yet he took him to a shooting range and gave him access to a gun (not stated what kind yet).
It is a real tragedy that he got killed, but part of me keeps thinking that Kyle should have seen this coming.
Routh was not the first veteran suffering from PTSD that he's tried to help, and perhaps he'd had luck with other veterans suffering from PTSD by getting them out to the range?

Ex-Navy Seal Chris Kyle, 39, and another man were shot point-blank around 3:30 p.m. at a charity event on behalf of Kyle's security firm at the gun range at Rough Creek Lodge and Resort in Erath County.

Deadliest sniper in U.S. military history is 'shot and killed point-blank by veteran suffering from PTSD' at Texas gun range

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2JrTCPx29
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
He had a lot to be proud of, and guys like that have been trained to have confidence that rivals an egomaniac, and they need that level of courage to do what they do.
Problem with what happened to Kyle is that he let his guard down with a guy who obviously should not have been at a gun club for any reason.
It is my understanding that Kyle did great work with veterans' groups.
CBS interviewed one of Kyle's friends, Travis Cox, about the incident.
Cox said the followin:

"What I know is Chris and a gentleman — great guy, I knew him well, Chad Littlefield — took a veteran out shooting who was struggling with PTSD to try to assist him, try to help him, try to, you know, give him a helping hand and he turned the gun on both of them, killing them,"...

"Chris was literally the type of guy if you were a veteran and needed help he'd help you," Cox said. "And from my understanding that's what happened here. I don't know how he came in contact with this gentleman, but I do know that it was not through the foundation.

"It was just two great guys with Chad and Chris trying to help out a veteran in need and making time out of their day to help him. And to give him a hand. And unfortunately this thing happened."

He will be sorely missed by many people.
I just wish he hadn't been so damn cocky (saw him on the Opie and Anthony show, he came off like an A-hole when he was there).

Quote:
Yikes! Guess Italian politics is rife with scandal, though I don't think the bank scandal will be enough for Berlusconi to win.
Only time will tell.

__________________________________________________ ______________

[BDefense Secretary Panetta Admits Information from Waterboarding Led US to Bin Laden (Video)][/B]

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...n-laden-video/
Old 2013-02-03, 14:04   Link #26176
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
My password requires knowledge of Japanese, Korean, and history to understand.
I was unhappy that iOS cannot use kana or hangul for passwords. >_>;
Old 2013-02-03, 14:16   Link #26177
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I don't think Segal would ever take a mentally ill ex-marine to a gun club for a "charity" benefit for the security firm he was working for (don't know if Mr. Kyle owned any portion of the company or not).
That's exactly what happened to Kyle.
He knew this guy Routh, and knew that the ex-marine had PTSD, yet he took him to a shooting range and gave him access to a gun (not stated what kind yet).
It is a real tragedy that he got killed, but part of me keeps thinking that Kyle should have seen this coming.
Routh was not the first veteran suffering from PTSD that he's tried to help, and perhaps he'd had luck with other veterans suffering from PTSD by getting them out to the range?
Wouldn't surprise me. I've read that making the PTSD sufferers relive their traumas in a more relaxed settings helped them deal with it. Of course, the articles I read were about video games (FPS, to be precise), where the worst that could happen if they flipped out would be a controller thrown at a TV screen.
Old 2013-02-03, 14:30   Link #26178
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
The problem here is that both passwords were different, but the password for my g-mail account would have been easy to get with a dictionary to hand.

I've now started dumping numerical sequences at the end of the passwords used for my e-mail accounts, but at least google actually stopped whoever it was from accessing my g-mail account unlike yahoo who allowed someone from Egypt to run amok in my backup yahoo mail account sending spam to anyone they wanted and only left me with a small notification that I might have missed.
I know it's a bit of a pain to setup but take a look at something like 1password or lastpass. They allow you to generate and store decent passwords on encrypted containers (that you unlock with a single, hopefully secure, password) and have browser plugins and mobile apps that allow you to access them quickly and easily.

Our online personas are growing more and more important each passing year so we should start taking care of our passwords the same way we take care of our home or car keys. Heck, with all the cloud based storage services we have today I wouldn't be surprised if some people kept more important stuff online than on their homes.
Old 2013-02-03, 16:38   Link #26179
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Wouldn't surprise me. I've read that making the PTSD sufferers relive their traumas in a more relaxed settings helped them deal with it. Of course, the articles I read were about video games (FPS, to be precise), where the worst that could happen if they flipped out would be a controller thrown at a TV screen.
I stand corrected.
You are quite right Anh-Minh, and I am dead wrong, it would seem the US military does in fact use shooting as a means to help treat veterans with PTSD.

From the dreaded FauxNews.

Lt. Cmdr. Rorke Denver, who served with Kyle on SEAL Team 3 in Iraq in 2006, called Kyle a champion of the modern battlefield.

"Everybody was aware in 2006 that something special or something unique with his skill set was developing and starting to grow and then it just carried on until he hung up his guns, at least in an active military capacity, and moved on," Denver said. His book, "Damn Few," about training SEALs, will be released this month.

Denver wasn't surprised that Kyle apparently used a shooting range to help someone with PTSD.

"For us, for warriors, that's a skill set that has become very familiar, very comfortable for us," said Denver, a lieutenant commander in a reserve SEAL team. "So I actually see it as kind of a perfect use of Chris' unique skill set and expertise of which he has very few peers."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/03...ixzz2JsGHhtrN]

So now I really want to know why Routh did it. Since he's still alive and the police are talking to him, maybe we'll get an answer.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

In other insanity:

McManus: What's the Afghanistan mission?
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...6981041.column
Old 2013-02-03, 17:30   Link #26180
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I still think video games would have been a better idea, though...
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international