AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-08-26, 02:39   Link #1
EmagEvil

The conjuring

http://www.warnerbros.fr/the-conjuring-17026.html

No ones saw this movie? Saw it last saturday with co, it's from a real story, it's so frightening than i didn't sleep well the night(each little noises wake me...), but my bro & me think it's too 'hollywoodised' , but it's still a good show!
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 04:54   Link #2
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I screamed. Yes, I did. Like a little girl. I was so embarrassed.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 04:57   Link #3
HasuMasu
*Artist

I wish they'd used a replica of Annabelle.
Old 2013-08-26, 05:08   Link #4
EmagEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

I screamed. Yes, I did. Like a little girl. I was so embarrassed.
... And i only little jumped, i'm an old man already...

Wasn't the doll a replica already? It's too creepy already...

... And i bet the scene with the Warren's daughter is not even in the true story, it's an add on holliwooood! XD
Old 2013-08-26, 05:17   Link #5
Ridwan

It really was the claps. The closer it was to the climax, the more meh it generally got.
Old 2013-08-26, 05:21   Link #6
EmagEvil

Some infos from Wiki :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_Warren
Old 2013-08-26, 07:17   Link #7
HasuMasu
*Artist

No it wasn't a replica.

Which is probably why I didn't think the doll was all that creepy.

The real story of Annabelle is actually even more surreal than the movie, someone got their chest clawed up.
Old 2013-08-26, 10:23   Link #8
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
It really was the claps. The closer it was to the climax, the more meh it generally got.
Mostly agree. There were still some good scares later on (the areas in-between the walls were pretty damn scary, if only for there sheer simplicity (I've never really though about the spaces in-between my walls...except that one time bats invaded my house )). But, this is kinda true for most horror films. Once you really know what is attacking you, and how to defend yourself, a lot of the fear vanishes, and all you are left with is - hopefully - some decent tension and good action. The ending was somewhat rote and cliche (though the brief interlude with Ed and Lorraine's daughter was really good), but ultimately satisfying and interesting. The studio and director are going to make a Conjuring 2, and I will happily see it opening night.

(I'll admit to not being able to fall asleep until after I saw my alarm clock slide over to 3:07 AM.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 10:44   Link #9
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
(I'll admit to not being able to fall asleep until after I saw my alarm clock slide over to 3:07 AM.)
I slept like a baby. It's the best original Hollywood horror movie to have been produced in a while, but it didn't unnerve me anywhere near as badly as Ringu did. The clapping moment caught me totally by surprise, and the scene was tremendously well played, so despite my momentary embarrassment, I loved it.

I'm not sure I'd look forward to a sequel, though. The story ended well enough. Milking the concept further would only dilute it, I'm afraid.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 09:51   Link #10
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quite appreciated the movie, as I recently got hooked by supernatural/ghost series/movies (I was a fan of TAPS/GHI/My Orb Story My Ghost Story before they got stale; now I'm more of a Ghost Mine/Paranormal Witness addict). You could definitely tell it's a James Wan movie - his quick scare scenes, already implemented in Insidious, are definitely reporting for duty (you know, when the camera pans left, catches nothing, then pans back to the right and there's something scary/creepy waiting for you - James Wan seems to love that) in this movie.

One thing that interested me from the get-go was that it had Lorraine and Ed Warren in it; they're household names when it comes to paranormal research, though I personally do have reservations as to whether the both of them are really what they claim to be. Even to this day, Lorraine Warren maintains that her scariest investigation was the Amityville House affair, even though the author who wrote the original (inconsistencies-filled) novel/account later declared that the entire thing had been a hoax cooked up in a cafe by both him and the financially struggling Lutz family (both parties turned on each other when the book became a bestseller and money started flowing in -_-). BTW, Lorraine makes a cameo (I recognized her straight away) in the movie: she's the gray-haired lady attending the university lecture and sitting at the front, right when Ed lists the three stages of demonic activity and the camera zooms into the audience. I do not know if she and her husband actually kept a museum replete with haunted items, but I do know their nephew, John Zaffis, another well-known demonologist, does have one (he even has a TV series about it, called Haunted Collector) of his own and he reportedly has witnessed things moving around even though they're supposed to be ritually sealed/neutralized.

Anyway...the first half was scariest, leaning more towards An American Haunting/Gravedancers-style story (things going bump in the night), but after that it went the Emily Rose/Exorcist road, which is less subtle and thus not as heart-thumping (though I must say the makeup crew did a good job for the Perron mother).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-08-27 at 10:19.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 12:16   Link #11
SummeryDreams

Damn this movie not because it's a crap, but because it beats Book of SummeryDreams' record. Scariest for me ever. I'm a 22 yr old big guy, and shamelessly slept a night with lights turned on (I sleep with lights turned off for more than a decade already).
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 20:31   Link #12
El Guapo
Dave's not here, man

I really liked this. This was probably the first horror movie to actually scare me since, interestingly enough, the Amityville Horror remake they did a few years back.

http://www.therealmuffin.net

http://music.therealmuffin.net</plug>
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 03:43   Link #13
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

You know, I was planning to actually open a thread for this film a few days ago but got lazy.

Went to see the film last Friday at my local cinema by myself.

Excluding all opening and ending credits, the movie runs for a total of a 1 hr 45 mins.

The first hour quite easily contains the best horror moments without resorting to graphical violence, CGI effects, and gore. Instead, with have atmosphere, a haunting soundtrack, sound effects, spooky environment, camera angles, and it quite delivers excellently when it psychologically plays with our anxiety and fears.

Since I'm quite an impressionable guy, all the time seeing the screen my body was building stress due to the ever present ominous pressence looming in the film.

As for the latter half, I do agree that the rest was pure Hollywood-style flick, particularly the exorcism scene.

Now, a few days later as I was googling I found information that supposedly Perron's family case, depicted in this movie, was the scariest the Warrens, in real-life, ever took part in it, and they refused to disclose any information about that case at its time.
Probably, if they released this film, then maybe it's more than likely everything could have been a hoax in order to milk money; I read all the criticisms and conspiracy theories revolving around the Amytiville case to make valid my last statement.

As for those of you who are wondering, if the Warrens really have all that scary stuff stocked up at their home as the movie showed? Yes, they did in real-life, and the place is still running in the present.
They called it the "Warren Occult Museum" and is run by both Lorraine Warren and her son-in-law, Tony Spera. And, just like the movie depicted, the museum still has all those ominous warning messages saying, "DANGER DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING"

Here is the evidence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeFINbEOFEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UbO9KukxR4

And here is the real Annabelle doll, which was made scarier in the film by Hollywood standards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ey1QFvcz4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO4zYgk2eFc

For some real facts, the Warrens founded in 1952 the New England Society for Psychic Research.

Last edited by Guido; 2016-06-12 at 01:22.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 09:52   Link #14
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
You know, I was planning to actually open a thread for this film a few days ago but got lazy.

Went to see the film last Friday at my local cinema by myself.

Excluding all opening and ending credits, the movie runs for a total of a 1 hr 45 mins.

The first hour quite easily contains the best horror moments without resorting to graphical violence, CGI effects, and gore. Instead, with have atmosphere, a haunting soundtrack, sound effects, spooky environment, camera angles, and it quite delivers excellently when it psychologically plays with our anxiety and fears.

Since I'm quite an impressionable guy, all the time seeing the screen my body was building stress due to the ever present ominous pressence looming in the film.

As for the latter half, I do agree that the rest was pure Hollywood-style flick, particularly the exorcism scene.

Now, a few days later as I was googling I found information that supposedly Perron's family case, depicted in this movie, was the scariest the Warrens, in real-life, ever took part in it, and they refused to disclose any information about that case at its time.
Probably, if they released this film, then maybe it's more than likely everything could have been a hoax in order to milk money; I read all the criticisms and conspiracy theories revolving around the Amytiville case to make valid my last statement.

As for those of you who are wondering, if the Warrens really have all that scary stuff stocked up at their home as the movie showed? Yes, they did in real-life, and the place is still running in the present.
They called it the "Warren Occult Museum" and is run by both Lorraine Warren and her son-in-law, Tony Spera. And, just like the movie depicted, the museum still has all those ominous warning messages saying, "DANGER DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING"

Here is the evidence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeFINbEOFEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UbO9KukxR4

And here is the real Annabelle doll, which was made scarier in the film by Hollywood standards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ey1QFvcz4c

For some real facts, the Warrens founded in 1952 the New England Society for Psychic Research.

It really scare the sh*t out of me. Especially that museum, I will never ever go there or come near close it, even if I'm with someone. My damn paranoia will surely attract those spirits into me. haha.
Old 2013-08-29, 13:58   Link #15
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
It really scare the sh*t out of me. Especially that museum, I will never ever go there or come near close it, even if I'm with someone. My damn paranoia will surely attract those spirits into me. haha.
Real challenge will be touring the Warren Occult Museum on Halloween Night from midnight to 03:00 a.m.

Wondering if my heart will endure the dead frights?

On-Topic

To me the most poignant scene that truly scared the s*** out of me was the witch sitting on the rocking chair with the Annabelle doll on her lap, and then the doll itself turning her head back to look at the audience, although it turned to look at the Warren's daughter in the film.

My eyes couldn't take that load of fright, so I averted my gaze from that particular scene in the movie.
Old 2013-08-29, 14:38   Link #16
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Real challenge will be touring the Warren Occult Museum on Halloween Night from midnight to 03:00 a.m.

Wondering if my heart will endure the dead frights?

On-Topic

To me the most poignant scene that truly scared the s*** out of me was the witch sitting on the rocking chair with the Annabelle doll on her lap, and then the doll itself turning her head back to look at the audience, although it turned to look at the Warren's daughter in the film.

My eyes couldn't take that load of fright, so I averted my gaze from that particular scene in the movie.
I've tried visitng a haunted house when I was in college with my cousins, nothing really did happened, I wasn't so scared too. But this movie is different. haha. Just pure scary, and I hate those girls in the movie theater, shouting in advance before a suspensed scene will occur. xD
Old 2013-08-29, 21:29   Link #17
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
I've tried visitng a haunted house when I was in college with my cousins, nothing really did happened, I wasn't so scared too. But this movie is different. haha. Just pure scary, and I hate those girls in the movie theater, shouting in advance before a suspensed scene will occur. xD
There were a group of teenage girls sitting on the row right behind where I was sitting that were pretending to be scared.

That would be ok for most of the second half of the film due that it trespasses into Hollywood flick territory, however, it doesn't fit quite well with the first half which contains almost all geniune scares, frights, and spooks. Of course, those girls truly got scared when the real frights occur in the film.
Old 2013-08-30, 00:53   Link #18
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

when I saw the witch I wasn't scared I was like What is Linda Blair doing in this movie? LOL

Great movie, nice scares and based on a true story.
Old 2013-08-30, 13:29   Link #19
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
when I saw the witch I wasn't scared I was like What is Linda Blair doing in this movie? LOL

Great movie, nice scares and based on a true story.
Actually, the weird part is the old skinny granny from the closet jumping into some of the characters, I was like, 'I thought that tormented soul is an obese lady?'. I've noticed that there were 3 ghosts there. The little boy, her mother, and that old skinny granny that appeared only twice (the one that jumps from the closet, and the one that scares Warren's daughter) as far as I've remembered.
Old 2013-08-30, 13:30   Link #20
SummeryDreams

Quote:
There were a group of teenage girls sitting on the row right behind where I was sitting that were pretending to be scared.

That would be ok for most of the second half of the film due that it trespasses into Hollywood flick territory, however, it doesn't fit quite well with the first half which contains almost all geniune scares, frights, and spooks. Of course, those girls truly got scared when the real frights occur in the film.
I hate those b*tches screaming around fakely. I mean, it's okay if they scream because they got shocked by the suspense scene, but acting it out, seriously?