AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-29, 17:11   Link #101
Mei

Can I ask a stupid question? Has this one now already aired? Because I have it down on my list to not starting for another week, on Saturday
Is it airing on another station apart from NHK-BS2?
Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 17:23   Link #102
monir
cho~ kakkoii

As it has been already mentioned by Mr. P three posts back, this was a special preview. We have seen those kind of preview for other shows as well such as Moonlight Mile, Ergo Proxy, etc..
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 17:26   Link #103
Mei

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
As it has been already mentioned by Mr. P three posts back, this was a special preview. We have seen those kind of preview for other shows as well such as Moonlight Mile, Ergo Proxy, etc..
Sorry I didn't understand a few posts back what was meant by preview of if it was the first episode or a small preview. I understand now though.
I guess I will still wait for its air date though.
Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 17:32   Link #104
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grv View Post
Not sure it's airing in HD is it?
It's running on BS2 with 5.1 surround sound, so it's safe to assume than an HD version would also be forthcoming, similar to Chevalier D'Eon.

Quote:
I didn't watch this episode. I drank it.
My favorite sky was in Tanda's scene.

BTW, Tanda is Dewey Novak (from Eureka 7), which is an instant sign of cool.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 17:38   Link #105
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

It's just that I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold off on HD to give people (more?) of a reason to buy HD-DVDs.

We wait and see of course until episode 1 airs officially, the cappers will let us know I'm sure

Incidentally, when does this thread move to the licensed forum? Given that it's pre-licensed.
Old 2007-03-29, 18:39   Link #106
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Maybe they are waiting for "Geneon USA" to be in the credits or Geneon USA to officially announce it.

Either way, this will look great in HD. The sky and water effects were great. The castle room scenes were great. Yep, loads of money spent here.
Old 2007-03-29, 19:13   Link #107
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
My favorite sky was in Tanda's scene.

BTW, Tanda is Dewey Novak (from Eureka 7), which is an instant sign of cool.
No way! I didn't even recognize the voice. And that picture is just adding to the mounting evidence of how amazing the background art is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
Sorry I didn't understand a few posts back what was meant by preview of if it was the first episode or a small preview. I understand now though.
Perhaps "screener" would be the appropriate term than "preview". Btw, why wait?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 21:34   Link #108
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

The first episode has proven to show how incredible this show is and hopefully is going to be. The animation was so good and I don't even have words to describe the art.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-29, 22:33   Link #109
issei

an amazingly lush first episode, with a great balance between action and foundation-work for the plot and premise. of course, it remains to be seen if they'll keep it up, but for now, i'm definitely going to be following this series.
Old 2007-03-30, 02:07   Link #110
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Method View Post
The first episode has proven to show how incredible this show is and hopefully is going to be. The animation was so good and I don't even have words to describe the art.

Spoiler:
It's an alternate world if i m not wrong that's loosely based on the Heian period of Japan.
Old 2007-03-30, 03:45   Link #111
JediNight
キズランダム

Between the archaic dialects and royal speech, I didn't understand much watching this raw unfortunately

Spoiler:
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 04:56   Link #112
wao
OK.

OK, I watched it. But of course I have to blather on about it! It's the first episode after all. I always talk lots of crap on the first episode.

Like I guessed, more than intense and detailed character animation we got treated to some excellent composition and an amazing piece of work in general.

Spoiler for blah blah I love eyecandy blah blah:

I think what I like greatly so far is the good mix between the epic storyline but also the painstakingly detailed world and background design.
Spoiler for etc:

Of course, I love Barusa - I was very pleasantly surprised by her attitude! Truly a world-wise person.
Spoiler for z0mg!:

I never thought I'd enjoy the script of the show so much, but I ended up finding much delight in hearing (and seeing) the levels of formality within the show.
Spoiler for and so on:

...and now I've forgotten the rest of what I wanted to say, which is in fact perfectly fine since I've yapped on enough.

One last thing though, I still still still wish they had an instrumental opening... *grumbles* I guess I wasn't expecting such an upbeat/light mood to the show. Same goes with the music, maybe I'm spoiled by Kunihiko Ryo or I'm just biased against Kenji Kawai (this is true I think), but I didn't think it matched up to the rest of the show. But that's okay, this is already pretty great as it is.

And now let's just hope they keep it up.
Old 2007-03-30, 06:13   Link #113
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I know this is very minor but if you look at the scene at the night market where Barsa was eating, you see a lot of effort by the animator to keep everyone moving and animated. Very similar to the qualities in GITS:SAC SSS.

Another memorable one is the song the children at the rice field was singing. It really made that scene come to life for me.

Watching this gave that old nostalgia of the old chinese "wu xia" movie feeling (without the remote controlled magic sword of course )
Old 2007-03-30, 08:58   Link #114
Iwanihana

Here is a plot summary of episode 1 in clean point form. Hope this helps.
Iwanihana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 10:52   Link #115
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
I didn't watch this episode. I drank it.

Spoiler:

Anime like these make one feel that it is good to be an anime-fan. Let the Spring season begin.
Those screenies are so gorgeous that it makes me forgive the lame-ass anachronistic OP song.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 14:51   Link #116
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I'm a little late to the party, but what the heck - it's awesome and I love it. Barsa is truly an inspired heroine, refreshingly honest and funny, and everything else such as music (gosh I actually liked the OP, believe it or not), acting (I had forgotten how sexy Mabuki Andou's husky voice is!) and the omg backgrounds (stunning is not the word!) is almost too good to believe. The art direction is jaw dropping in places and better than many anime movies I've seen and that's no exaggeration. The fact it does exceed every expectation is a fantastic revelation.

Okay, on the downside the ED is shamefully banal and I did feel the direction was very safe rather than doing something imaginative, but it does not detract in anyway from the sheer beauty of it. But yeah the big question - can they keep it up for 26 episodes? Well I think they'll try especially if they have the budget (which they have) and since we haven't even seen any intense action yet I think it'll even go one step further. Just how further is possible remains to be seen, but it will be awesome to find out.

Spoiler for ep1 spoilerish thoughts:
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 15:09   Link #117
issei

i didn't even bother watching the OP or ED at all; the songs seem so wildly inappropriate, and beyond that, i'd have to mute the sound to be able to tolerate watching the animation. small price to pay, though, if the overall quality matches episode 1's.

now that some time's passed after my initial reactions, the central draw to the series for me is definitely in the details, such as:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-30, 15:30   Link #118
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Spoiler for ep1 spoilerish thoughts:
That's not how it is.

Spoiler:
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 20:18   Link #119
Joojoobees

The artwork is gorgeous. I can't understand a word of it, but it looks beautiful. There is a lot of care put into the way light is handled. The yak or whatever that creature was pulling the carriage on the bridge looks great. The level of detail in every background seems incredible.
Spoiler for basket peddler BG:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this series with subtitles, so I can understand what is said.

Since it is already pre-licensed by Geneon, are there any guesses as to how long it will take to arrive stateside?
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 21:02   Link #120
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
It's an alternate world if i m not wrong that's loosely based on the Heian period of Japan.
Yea, that makes sense.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
That's not how it is.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Tags
drama, fantasy, historical, production i.g.