AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-04-23, 21:19   Link #41
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

It's not useless per se. The iaijutsu is useful for a faster first strike in a stand-off when your opponent hasn't drawn their weapon since you basically have 1 move advantage(draw and attack at the same time instead of draw then attack), but it certainly is not as deadly as that series make off. It might be useful for assasination though. Think of it as ancient version of speed drawing when using gun. Useful as first strike, not so much when the enemy is prepared with their gun directed to you.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 21:34   Link #42
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post
swords

So I used to take fencing for about three years when I was in college, it was fun as hell, the third year, in addition to using the french foil and saber, I was introduced to the Spanish rapier & dagger style. . .

the Spanish rapier is a long ass sword you hold in your right hand ,while you hold the dagger in your left, and you walk in a circle pattern around your opponent. . .

It is pretty bad ass.

Once I went to my teacher's masters master class he was an old Spanish dude name "Maestro Martinez" kinda looked like the dude in game of thrones who taught the girl.

anyway, there was a couple demonstrations, and one was cloak and dagger.

this dude was so badass, he was able to wtfpwn the other masters who were under him, with nothing but a cloak. . . A CLOAK! I would disarm them easily, then you the dagger for the finishing blow.

Moral of the story? do NOT fuck with old Spanish dudes. . .they'll kick your ass with a BLANKET!
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 21:44   Link #43
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Okay, question for Katana experts. You know how in a lot of manga and samurai movies, the 'blade draw' move is considered the 'ultimate' attack. Is it actually faster than swinging your sword normally or is it just something that's been hyped because it looks awesome?
If that kind of drawing technique was viable as a way to strike faster you'd have swordsmen in the middle of a fight holding their swords to hilt level to strike. Since they don't, I don't think it's advantageous.

The main purpose of honing quick draw technique is if you get attacked while you don't have you sword out. The technique lets you bring it into the fight. But the idea is to GET your sword out as fast as possible. The best way to think of it is like quick draw shooting with a six gun. It's not the most accurate shooting technique, but the advantage is that you can get it out faster.

Quote:
So that means Kenshin's ultimate technique is kind of useless in reality huh?
The Kenshin series are about the last thing you wanna look into if you wanna learn about practical sword techniques.

Quickdraws ARE a somewhat limited application technique. They're really only useful if you're responding to an ambush, or you lose access to your primary two handed weapon...or if for some reason you're fighting a duel that stipulates standing at close range with swords holstered.

How often you get into that latter situation is questionable, and the former assumes you're being attacked from a disadvantageous position. And a technique that can only be utilized from a position of weakness can hardly be called ultimate, can it?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 22:07   Link #44
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
How did you come to that conclusion ? I don't mean about Kenshin...

Its a technique used for certain situations- its not a one move that fits all situation, but you can say that for just about any technique.

It comes down to the practitioner and whether he or she has the skill to make use of it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 00:11   Link #45
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
So I used to take fencing for about three years when I was in college, it was fun as hell, the third year, in addition to using the french foil and saber, I was introduced to the Spanish rapier & dagger style. . .

the Spanish rapier is a long ass sword you hold in your right hand ,while you hold the dagger in your left, and you walk in a circle pattern around your opponent. . .

It is pretty bad ass.

Once I went to my teacher's masters master class he was an old Spanish dude name "Maestro Martinez" kinda looked like the dude in game of thrones who taught the girl.

anyway, there was a couple demonstrations, and one was cloak and dagger.

this dude was so badass, he was able to wtfpwn the other masters who were under him, with nothing but a cloak. . . A CLOAK! I would disarm them easily, then you the dagger for the finishing blow.

Moral of the story? do NOT fuck with old Spanish dudes. . .they'll kick your ass with a BLANKET!
Oh wow, I didn't expect to meet a classical fencer here. If I am not mistaken, you lucky lot have actual living lineages unlike HEMA.

Yeah cloaks as an offhand are really cool. Great for throwing your opponent off balance by obscuring vision. Don't know anyone who actual does a cloak and rapier style though. (But there is a guy in my HEMA school who did Spanish and Italian rapier.)

Are you still learning the style by any chance?
And how did you find progressing from sport fencing to classical?

Quote:
Well, just remember that Iaido was made for the context of dealing with ambushes. The draw cut wouldn't be useless, but if you are in a fight you would want to keep the blade out.

Quote:

Its a technique used for certain situations- its not a one move that fits all situation, but you can say that for just about any technique.

It comes down to the practitioner and whether he or she has the skill to make use of it.
So much this.

When it comes down to it, it's the ability of the practitioner in a fight that keeps them alive.

Last edited by theflyingturkey; 2013-04-24 at 00:53.
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 00:34   Link #46
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
So much this.

When it comes down to it, it's the ability of the practitioner in a fight that keeps them alive.
I love this scene from the movie.

Old 2013-04-24, 12:33   Link #47
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Of course the drawn sword has advantage.

However, the battoujutsu in fictional Kenshin world has one good thing about it, and it's the speed of the slash after it left the sheath.

Hold back a finger with your other hand, press against it, then let it go.
The velocity of the finger is much faster than when you simply swing it, no?
That's the snap effect. You get the same effect by "running your blade against the side of the sheath".
When the sword exits the sheath, it'll "snap" at the enemy.

Practicality aside, that is.
Old 2013-04-24, 18:59   Link #48
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Seems legit to me
Old 2013-04-25, 00:53   Link #49
HasuMasu
*Artist

Keeps sword going in straight line until time of strike, yes.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 01:36   Link #50
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

Well in the series Kenshin would put his sword away after having it out in order to use his ultimate technique...
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 02:44   Link #51
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Well, if you can draw the sword fast enough to create a vacuum, I guess it might be worth it puttinh the sword back to its hilt before attacking
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 08:28   Link #52
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Singapore silat chief: I want apology for ‘demoralising’ remark

Quote:
Say sorry.

That’s what an enraged Singapore Silat Federation head, Sheik Alauddin, wants from bowling chief and chairwoman of the Singapore Sports Awards (SSA), Jessie Phua.

Sheik’s fury stems from the omission of the Sportsman of the Year accolade from this year’s awards, after a selection committee determined that no male athlete had achieved anything of note in 2012.

Silat world champion Muhd Shakir Juanda was one of four nominated for the honour, along with paddler Gao Ning, sailor Colin Cheng and wushu exponent Seet Wee Key.

While explaining the decision not to award a Sportsman of the Year to various media, Phua said the panel had to “consider the quality of the competition” faced by the athletes.

A source told Yahoo! Singapore that on the night of the awards held on Tuesday, Sheik – incensed by the comment – had approached a minister to “demand” an apology from Phua.

When contacted, Sheik said that he was “just telling (the minister) how the silat council and community were unhappy, hurt, down and low in morale” as a result of Phua’s remark.

The silat chief, himself a two-time Sportsman of the Year nominee and former world champion, confirmed he wanted Phua to "apologise to the community”.

“Is she saying the quality of silat is not there? This is the first time in my life, and in 30 years of silat, that I’ve heard something like this,” he told Yahoo! Singapore over the phone.

“I personally feel demoralized,” added the Singapore Sports Council Hall-of-Famer. “This is not about awards or medals. It’s about the integrity of the silat community.”

Phua, who also presides over Singapore Bowling, declined to comment when pressed for a response. As part of her earlier explanation, she had referred to the number of participants in the athlete’s sport – a point which Sheikh passionately addressed.

“25 countries took part. But it’s not about how many countries. It’s about who you fight; your opponent’s background,” said Sheik. “Shakir fought world champions. He fought with the best of them all. This is not a 'kampong' sport. What more do you want?”

In the grand final of the World Pencak Silat Championships last year, Shakir overcame defending world and SEA Games champion Le Si Kien of Vietnam.

Moving forward, Sheik said that the Jakarta-based international silat body “will know about this” and that locally, the Singapore Silat Federation plans to convene to deliberate the matter on 3 July.

The three-time SEA Games gold medallist also hit out at the SSA selection panel’s modus operandi.

“I personally invited the relationship manager of SSC to Chiang Rai (in Thailand) to watch Shakir compete at the World Championships, but they said they were busy,” said Sheik. “After that, the committee never interviewed the silat federation about Shakir’s achievement.”

The awards were given during a gala ceremony on Tuesday. Table-tennis paddler Feng Tianwei won Sportswoman of the Year, but there was no male equivalent.

Former national fencer and triathlete Nicholas Fang, who was on the committee to decide the SSA recipients, told Yahoo! Singapore on the night itself that the committee was “not disparaging the achievements (of) the male athletes”.

Fang, who is also a Nominated Member of Parliament, then said that Shakir’s efforts did not go unrecognized as “we made sure we rewarded him with a meritorious award.”

But he acknowledged that the exclusion of a Sportsman of the Year award was “very tough” and that the “sports fraternity is disappointed for sure”.

Ultimately, he said, the panel’s decision was based on the need to “inspire people to aim very high.”

“If somebody wants to be Sportsman of the Year, he really has to dream big,” concluded Fang.

The question now is how big is big enough.
The council needs a unarmed combat exponent (excluding performing wushu; it is a DANCE expertise).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 14:15   Link #53
ElCachicamo

Quote:

Well, just remember that Iaido was made for the context of dealing with ambushes. The draw cut wouldn't be useless, but if you are in a fight you would want to keep the blade out.

Who told you that?

Iajutsu was created to surprise the opponent, that's the truth. It's not like Kenshin at all when you are stuck in a pose, that's shonen bullshit.

Kenshin using battoujutsu to kill people is very fitting. I mean you don't want to be dancing around in a fight if you are an assassin, what do you really want is to surprise your target and kill him quickly.

You use your hip and your legs depending of the school of course to draw the sword quickly and cut the opponent. I practised Daito Ryu and my sensei was a really good Iajutsu practitioner, he was really fast and his Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu improved a lot when he started Iajutsu classes.

the Katana is my favourite sword
ElCachicamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 21:09   Link #54
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Singapore silat chief: I want apology for ‘demoralising’ remark

The council needs a unarmed combat exponent (excluding performing wushu; it is a DANCE expertise).
Obviously, someone DOES think Silat is a "kampung sport"
Old 2014-02-09, 16:07   Link #55
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I have two questions for martial artists:

1. I know that when you are rallying up to someone you are goading them to fight harder but Bruce Lee once said, "Use emotional content, not anger." I know we humans are emotional beings but how content do you need in order to fight harder? Aren't we taught to control our emotions or not let them get over us? Is anger bad?

2. What does taking marital arts seriously actually mean? How serious should you take it? And why do need proper techniques to fight effectively?

Tags
sword, swordplay